Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

HELP needed for IDAM work around

Hi good folk, I'm sure this has been worked out by someone already but I couldn’t find it..

Basically I have everything setup running smoothly with my iPad and Mac using IDAM.

What I’d really like to add is audio from reaper on Mac back into iPad then back to reaper in Mac.. I’d even settle for audio in from external hardware while my iPad is hooked up to IDAM running said audio into Mac. I imagine there maybe some kind of dongle for the latter?? Any ideas would be very welcome..

Comments

• Idam audio is one way, out only.
    You could try sonobus to send audio thru WiFi.
    If your iPad has a headphone port you could get audio in thru that.

• It sounds like you want studiomux (though it may be abandonware at this point).

• @mambonassau said:
    It sounds like you want studiomux (though it may be abandonware at this point).

It is clearly abandonware. The developer had released a beta version that solved some important remaining issues that are in the app store version. If he had released that version StudioMux would be quite usable. But not only didn't he release it, he stopped participating on his web forum at all. I hope that he is doing ok. But it really seems like he has abandoned the app.

• @Alfred said:
    Idam audio is one way, out only.
    You could try sonobus to send audio thru WiFi.
    If your iPad has a headphone port you could get audio in thru that.

Yeah I did realise IDAM was one way… no headphone Jack on the iPad either. Thanks apple.
    I’m wonder if there is a dongle of sorts that can take the USB C signal (IDAM) but also has a audio/headphone Jack input..

Cheers

• There is no idam thru a hub. It is about a master or slave mode connection.

Either think of your iPad as a synth expander, or get another audio interface and hook it up that way. This could open up more channels then 2+1.

Or get something like a second hand iPhone 6s or the last base model iPad with lightning and headphone port.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@Alfred said:
    There is no idam thru a hub. It is about a master or slave mode connection.

Yes, it's a master or slave mode connection, but you can use a hub if the host port of the hub is connected to the Mac. Still one-way though.

In fact, I have to use a powered hub for iDAM or the connection to my 2015 MacBook Pro drops continually. I finally learned that the Mac wasn't putting out enough power to power the iPad - apparently an aging battery issue. The powered hub fixes that.

• @espiegel123 said:

@mambonassau said:

It is clearly abandonware. The developer had released a beta version that solved some important remaining issues that are in the app store version. If he had released that version StudioMux would be quite usable. But not only didn't he release it, he stopped participating on his web forum at all. I hope that he is doing ok. But it really seems like he has abandoned the app.

I grabbed the beta while it was available, haven't updated the OS on my music iPad in ages, and have a Catalina-based Hackintosh, so Studiomux still worked fine for me last time I tried it. (Admittedly, this was like a year ago.) I didn't realize the developer had gone MIA :-/

• @mambonassau said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mambonassau said:

I grabbed the beta while it was available, haven't updated the OS on my music iPad in ages, and have a Catalina-based Hackintosh, so Studiomux still worked fine for me last time I tried it. (Admittedly, this was like a year ago.) I didn't realize the developer had gone MIA :-/

Let me put it this way, if your use case is one that doesn't trigger the bugs (some problems with Ableton link -- particularly if using AUM and/or Audiobus) then it works pretty well. But it has some link problems and people using it with AUM run into issues that were fixed in the beta that didn't get released.

• @mambonassau said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mambonassau said:

The beta expired.

• edited May 2023

Just an update: my 2017 iPad (iOS 14.6) runs Studiomux well in Reaper using the current Mac server software on the Zerodebug site. This appears to be the case for both my M1 work MacBook and my previously mentioned Hackintosh.

So: Studiomux is essentially dead as an App That Is Still Being Developed, but still quite usable if you’ve have an older iPad that’s “frozen in time.”

• @mambonassau said:
    Just an update: my 2017 iPad (iOS 14.6) runs Studiomux well in Reaper using the current Mac server software on the Zerodebug site. This appears to be the case for both my M1 work MacBook and my previously mentioned Hackintosh.

So: Studiomux is essentially dead as an App That Is Still Being Developed, but still quite usable if you’ve have an older iPad that’s “frozen in time.”

You are having better luck than I did. Using it with Ableton Live it was pretty unstable and the link start/stop was unstable. As an AU host on iOS it was pretty crashy for me in the App Store version but much better in the beta that didn’t get released.

• For me StudioMux works great until it doesn't. I gave up.

• Would two USB ADAT interfaces connected together work?

• @drez said:
    Would two USB ADAT interfaces connected together work?

yes , as long as one of them is iOS compatible , but I bet it will be an expensive solution

@espiegel123 said:

@mambonassau said:

the app is definitely abandoned , I wish the dev didn't update the app , or at least launch a v2 version , the old one did work on PC
    the only tool is Sonobus ,but it's not optimised for low-latency local network
    There is also "Wireless Audio AUv3" plugin , but only for iOS ,maybe the dev will make a desktop vesion some day
    Too bad there is no AUv3 wrapper for PureData programming language since I did in the past a bidirectional network via ethernat patch (stereo only and working with 64 and 128 buffer size max)

• edited June 2023

In the absence of a version of IDAM that somehow lets the iPad be the master and also sequence other external hardware at the same time, I’m simply routing my MacBook Pro’s headphone jack into one of my iPad’s audio interface ins and making do with that. I sequence the MacBook from the iPad via Bluetooth MIDI. I’ve historically been doing this to sequence and process the output of a single Mac-only plugin within AUM at any one time, but I guess I could hook up another interface to the MacBook to get multiple channels of Mac plugins going into AUM. (This is embarrassing, but the only thing stopping me from doing this is that I’ve lost my Scarlett 4i4 somewhere in the house.)

It seems more roundabout than it should be, given that they’re digital devices, but given how things are, I also suspect that making the round trip from digital to analogue and back to digital would still be “better” (in terms of ease, latency and quality / lack of glitchiness) than streaming it over WiFi with something like Sonobus, anyway. Should I give Sonobus a whirl, or would it be more trouble than it’s worth?

• wimwim
    edited June 2023

@jebni said:
    Should I give Sonobus a whirl, or would it be more trouble than it’s worth?

It depends on how much latency you can deal with. There will be a lot. There's more latency than I can work with even if I hook up over ethernet rather than WiFi.

But it's free, right? Why not give it a try?

[edit] Humm. I just tried again after downloading the latest version on the MacBook and latency wasn't as bad as I remembered. 26ms over WiFi. 20ms over point-to-point ethernet.

• @wim said:

@jebni said:
    Should I give Sonobus a whirl, or would it be more trouble than it’s worth?

It depends on how much latency you can deal with. There will be a lot. There's more latency than I can work with even if I hook up over ethernet rather than WiFi.

But it's free, right? Why not give it a try?

[edit] Humm. I just tried again after downloading the latest version on the MacBook and latency wasn't as bad as I remembered. 26ms over WiFi. 20ms over point-to-point ethernet.

If I recall, 20 ms is about what the latency is with Studiomux that I was getting on my iPad 6 with a buffer of 128.