Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple’s Cruelty

From my understanding, iPadOS 16.5 has broken the lightning camera connector’s ability to connect to external controllers. At the same time, Apple finally releases Logic Pro for iPad, but requires us to update to 16.5, thus possibly losing the ability to use our midi controllers. Does anyone else find this as cruel as I do?

Comments

• They will fix it.

• Its a feature not a bug

• @FriedTapeworm said:
    From my understanding, iPadOS 16.5 has broken the lightning camera connector’s ability to connect to external controllers. At the same time, Apple finally releases Logic Pro for iPad, but requires us to update to 16.5, thus possibly losing the ability to use our midi controllers. Does anyone else find this as cruel as I do?

Logic Pro only requires a straight 16.4 or higher!

• But I can only download 16.5. They don’t offer download of older versions, do they?

@tja said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

• @FriedTapeworm said:
    But I can only download 16.5. They don’t offer download of older versions, do they?

@tja said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

No, as always, you can only update to the latest version.
    Apple ....

I did not want to risk 16.5 but will wait for some stable 16.5.x

• edited May 2023

I guess I’ll be late to the logic party. I’m in the middle of a project, that I can’t afford to be without midi controllers for. The timing on Apple finally porting over “pro” software is ironic.

• @FriedTapeworm said:

Only third party adapters. The official Apple adapters work fine.

• @TheGarageBandGuide said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

Oh for real? I was misunderstanding this then. Mine is official apple, so I should be safe I guess. Still a little nervous to hit the update button. Can anyone else confirm that their Apple lightning connectors are working on 16.5?

@FriedTapeworm said:

Aaaaah! Then it seems I should be ok :)

Cheers!

• edited May 2023

@TheGarageBandGuide said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

Nono, the other way around. Third party works still fine, Apple CCKs do USB but do not power the iPad or any attached USB devices. You can use controllers, but only as longt your battery lasts.

Planned obsolescence.

• @tja said:

@FriedTapeworm said:
    But I can only download 16.5. They don’t offer download of older versions, do they?

@tja said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

No, as always, you can only update to the latest version.
    Apple ....

I did not want to risk 16.5 but will wait for some stable 16.5.x

Via OTA, yes they make you update to the latest but if a previous version is still being signed, you could update using a computer with the IPSW file. I’ve been using this site since ios 5 https://ipsw.me/

• @FriedTapeworm said:

@TheGarageBandGuide said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

Oh for real? I was misunderstanding this then. Mine is official apple, so I should be safe I guess. Still a little nervous to hit the update button. Can anyone else confirm that their Apple lightning connectors are working on 16.5?

It’s the other way around. My third party adapter works but not my official one

• "Apple's Cruelty"?

Can you please change this thread name to something less hyperbolic? This is an absurd accusation.

• No :wink:

@NeuM said:
    "Apple's Cruelty"?

Can you please change this thread name to something less hyperbolic? This is an absurd accusation.

• edited May 2023

@FriedTapeworm said:
    No :wink:

@NeuM said:
    "Apple's Cruelty"?

"Cruelty" suggests they intentionally harmed you... Do you REALLY believe that? Come on, now.

• ‘Twas a desert in the land known as iPad’s maketh the music. When hence fourth, there cometh from the land of Apple, a savior for we lowly minstrels. If there ever so be a time that calleth for hyperbole, it hath come, indeed, this day. So sayeth I, Nay! I shan’t holdeth back mine own hyperbole! For this day shall be held in infamy, and be so remembered from generation to generation.

@FriedTapeworm said:

@NeuM said:
    "Apple's Cruelty"?

• edited May 2023

@NeuM said:
    "Apple's Cruelty"?

Can you please change this thread name to something less hyperbolic?

@FriedTapeworm said:

No Apple CCK's are also impacted.

• Apple absolutely bricks third party adaptors via updates, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. One of the things I love the most about my m1 iPad Pro is the usb C port which makes everything easier. :)

• @NeuM said:
    "Apple's Cruelty"?

You, of all people, should not be policing opinions on this forum.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@FriedTapeworm said:

That's inaccurate. From what I've read the CCK's ability to connect to external controllers isn't affected - only the ability to charge the iPad through it.

Assuming that it's intentional cruelty rather than simply a f*ckup, and that it won't be fixed, is unfounded IMO. Unless, of course, your tongue is in your cheek here. Hard to tell on the internet. ;)

• @wim said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

That's inaccurate. The CCK's ability to connect to external controllers is not affected - only the ability to charge the iPad through it.

Assuming that it's intentional cruelty rather than simply a f*ckup, and that it won't be fixed, is unfounded IMO. Unless, of course, your tongue is in your cheek here. Hard to tell on the internet. ;)

That’s great if the CCK can still connect to controllers. I’ll have to look more into this before I update, I’m reading many conflicting things on the topic. I never said it was intentional, nor did I intend to insinuate it. It was, indeed, tongue and cheek. I was lamenting how ironically bad the timing was…to find out on the same day that Logic is finally here, I have to update, and the update is broken. Took the wind out of my sails , having been excited for the release.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

👍🏼😎

• @FriedTapeworm said:

@wim said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

That's inaccurate. The CCK's ability to connect to external controllers is not affected - only the ability to charge the iPad through it.

That’s great if the CCK can still connect to controllers. I’ll have to look more into this before I update, I’m reading many conflicting things on the topic. I never said it was intentional, nor did I intend to insinuate it. It was, indeed, tongue and cheek. I was lamenting how ironically bad the timing was…to find out on the same day that Logic is finally here, I have to update, and the update is broken. Took the wind out of my sails , having been excited for the release.

Wouldn't that be life's cruelty then, rather than Apple's?

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

If we're now equating the temporary loss of ability to charge our iPads while using connected USB devices to the cruelty of life then hallelujah! Life must be great indeed! 😉😎✌🏼

• @busker said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

@wim said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

Wouldn't that be life's cruelty then, rather than Apple's?

Yes, I suppose it would. Although life (whomever that is) was not in charge of coding, and testing 16.5 prior to release. But that’s beside the point. As NeuM pointed out, I was clearly being hyperbolic, so I hope no one is offended on Apples behalf, that was not my intent.

• @NeuM said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

@NeuM said:
    "Apple's Cruelty"?

"Cruelty" suggests they intentionally harmed you... Do you REALLY believe that? Come on, now.

Definition of hyperbole:
    “Exaggerated statements or claims, not meant to be taken literally”

• @wim said:
    If we're now equating the temporary loss of ability to charge our iPads while using connected USB devices to the cruelty of life then hallelujah! Life must be great indeed! 😉😎✌🏼

Life is great indeed. There is a lot to be thankful for. Regarding the ability to charge; I was reading reports that the midi controllers that require power from the iPad via the CCK are not able to receive the power. Not just power coming from the outlet into the iPad. This is leading me to believe that a midi device with its own power source may be fine, but a device fully powered by usb would not work correctly without a powered usb hub.

• @FriedTapeworm said:

@wim said:

Life is great indeed. There is a lot to be thankful for. Regarding the ability to charge; I was reading reports that the midi controllers that require power from the iPad via the CCK are not able to receive the power. Not just power coming from the outlet into the iPad. This is leading me to believe that a midi device with its own power source may be fine, but a device fully powered by usb would not work correctly without a powered usb hub.

Could be. Anyway, I bet it'll be fixed pretty soon.

• Yeah, I imagine it will be a high priority fix for them.