Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

Okay, overall take - 9.5/10

It's not Garageband Pro, it's not everything in the desktop version of logic, but it's more than enough to be orders of magnitude better than any DAW ever on iOS.

Key things:

• UI is incredibly fluid and easy to get around
  • The plugin tiles are so useful - even AUv3s show controls. Love the metering. love love love them
  • Region and midi editing are quick and fluid. Best I've used in an iOS DAW
  • Very powerful region and midi controls - very deep settings for quantization, etc
  • Time sig, tempo, markers are all solid
  • All of the instruments are there and redesigned UIs (except Ultrabeat (which is now Drum Machine Designer)) and the full Sampler.
  • All of the effects are there
  • Midi fx are there, including SCRIPTER!!!!
  • AUv3s so far integrate very nicely, feel native
  • Full automation editing for Auv3s
  • Mixer is incredible
  • All of the drummers are there
  • Pattern editor is all there, very very very deep
  • Live loops all there
  • The chord strips, guitar strips, fretboard and scale locked keyboard are nice and available in any instrument
  • The browser now includes previews for everything (including instruments) - something missing from desktop logic
  • Has flex time

Things missing from the desktop so far:

• Score editor
  • Arrangement markers
  • Region aliases
  • No flex pitch
  • Alchemy full editing (though somewhat compensated by Sample Alchemy)
  • Full Multi Sampler is there for compat but no editing (the Quick Sampler mitigates with full features, slicing, time stretch, etc)
  • Settings are a bit sparse
  • No environment editor

Overall, totally worth it. For all of the "well it's not going to be 1:1 to desktop", they're mostly right - there are some things missing, but 1) they're mostly mitigated and 2) other than arrangement markers and region aliases, are things that probably wouldn't translate well to an ipad. There might be other things I'm missing and will have to try roundtrip back and forth to desktop, but yeah solid 9.5/10. Game changer.

Comments

• I couldn't find the Logic instruments. Just presets

• @MAtrixplan said:
    I couldn't find the Logic instruments. Just presets

Same. I want to load an instrument from its default setting, not from a dang preset.

• game changer should be 11/10.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@MAtrixplan said:

Same. I want to load an instrument from its default setting, not from a dang preset.

They're all there, but the interface to get to them is rather clumsy

• @Grandbear said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@MAtrixplan said:

They're all there, but the interface to get to them is rather clumsy

The issue is the manual isn't online yet...

...so I have no idea how to load them from default.

• Sounds great! Thanks!

On the point of DMD and Ultrabeat: DMD has always been a more approachable faceplate to Ultrabeat (Now it can house all manner of different instruments). However, without Ultrabeat as its own instrument, we do lose a really cool drum-synthesiser. Probably not an issue for those who have other similar apps, but it's a shame to have lost it as a stock instrument.

• Shit this sounds amazing.
    I’m gonna have to get a new iPad though 😳

• Actually - Flex Time is not fully there. You can stretch and align to beats and bars, but no warp marker editing.

• @Eclipxe said:
    Actually - Flex Time is not fully there. You can stretch and align to beats and bars, but no warp marker editing.

Pfff

• @Eclipxe said:
    Actually - Flex Time is not fully there. You can stretch and align to beats and bars, but no warp marker editing.

Ah, that's a bummer. That was the gamechangiest of the gamechangers.

• The good news is that the flex time engine is there - all of the various flex time modes, etc. I think they just need to build a UI for it. I can see that coming in the future - since our $4.99/mo should go to on-going development and features ;-)

• Drag and drop from the files app works well.

• edited May 2023

@Eclipxe said:

Have you been able to do this with AUv3 FX? So far none of the ones I tried worked.

• @AudioGus said:

@Eclipxe said:

Have you been able to do this with AUv3 FX? So far none of the ones I tried worked.

Yes, all that I've tried work. Which ones are you having issues with?

• May I ask if you've come across track-stacks and mixer-groups? Also, does it seem possible to add destructive FX/automation to isolated clips? Bounce-in-Place? Auto-Sampler? Also, does 'Quick Sampler' actually sample?

No pressure, of course. Just curous if they're going to be there or absent. Would be interested to know, as and when you discover

Cheers

• @el_bo said:
    May I ask if you've come across track-stacks and mixer-groups? Also, does it seem possible to add destructive FX/automation to isolated clips? Bounce-in-Place? Auto-Sampler? Also, does 'Quick Sampler' actually sample?

No pressure, of course. Just curous if they're going to be there or absent. Would be interested to know, as and when you discover

Cheers

groups are there and they collapse

• @Eclipxe said:

@AudioGus said:

@Eclipxe said:

Turnado and Blackhole do not work. Looks like ProQ3 does though, whoot! yah devs may need to update plugins, if they care.

• I need to update to 16.4, because I'm stupid and drooled all day on Push 3 videos and forgot.

Question until I update... Are GUITAR AMP FX effect in there? If yes... I swear I'm not buying an iPad app ever :))

• edited May 2023

Weird omissions-flexpitch? will make ios and osx logic projects not so compatible in this way—-so this will have to be addressed.

No multisampler? What? There goes alot of my projects coming over!

No editing of alchemy STILL? What? Meh come on already…even OG alchemy could be edited on ios sheesh

Is the groove template feature in it? I hope!!!

Can user patches come
    Over from desktop?

I dont really like that a couple of great features are not there…

• @el_bo said:
    May I ask if you've come across track-stacks and mixer-groups? Also, does it seem possible to add destructive FX/automation to isolated clips? Bounce-in-Place? Auto-Sampler? Also, does 'Quick Sampler' actually sample?

Cheers

• Track Stacks - yes, both folder stacks and summing stacks

• Mixer Groups - Yep, that's there!

• Bounce in place - it's there!

• Don't see auto sampler

• No ability to sample directly in quick sampler - but you can record to an audio track and then drop into a quick sampler (or slice to drummer)

• No per-region destructive FX/automation

• edited May 2023

@AudioGus said:

@Eclipxe said:

@AudioGus said:

@Eclipxe said:

Turnado and Blackhole do not work. Looks like ProQ3 does though, whoot! yah devs may need to update plugins, if they care.

Oh but then ProQ3 seems buggy as you add more params. Ehh,it was a longshot anyway and the native plugins look good.

• @alecsbuga said:
    I need to update to 16.4, because I'm stupid and drooled all day on Push 3 videos and forgot.

Question until I update... Are GUITAR AMP FX effect in there? If yes... I swear I'm not buying an iPad app ever :))

Yes, Amp Designer and all stompboxes are there

• @alecsbuga said:
    I need to update to 16.4, because I'm stupid and drooled all day on Push 3 videos and forgot.

That's not possible any more.
    Only 16.5 which seems to have some issues....

• @MrSmileZ said:
    Weird omissions-flexpitch? will make ios and osx logic projects not so compatible in this way—-so this will have to be addressed.

No multisampler? What? There goes alot of my projects coming over!

No editing of alchemy STILL? What? Meh come on already…even OG alchemy could be edited on ios sheesh

Is the groove template feature in it? I hope!!!

Can user patches come
    Over from desktop?

I dont really like that a couple of great features are not there…

I'm fairly certain that if a region has flex pitch already there, it will play back just fine - the engine is there, but the ability to edit the pitches and warp markers is not there (yet). I think it's just missing the UI.

Multisampler is there - your projects will come over, but you can't edit the parameters. It's included for compatibility.

• Question for GarageBand users: When you import a GB file into Logic Pro on iPad, does it convert and replace the file or does it create a duplicate, leaving the original GB project file intact?

• @NeuM said:
    Question for GarageBand users: When you import a GB file into Logic Pro on iPad, does it convert and replace the file or does it create a duplicate, leaving the original GB project file intact?

New copy

• @tja said:

@NeuM said:
    Question for GarageBand users: When you import a GB file into Logic Pro on iPad, does it convert and replace the file or does it create a duplicate, leaving the original GB project file intact?

New copy

Interesting. That's good in case the conversion process corrupts the resulting file, I suppose. Thanks.

• Can we record MPE midi?

• @tja said:

@alecsbuga said:

That's not possible any more.
    Only 16.5 which seems to have some issues....

I meant update to latest because I can't install Logic. I don't care about issue... I always update to latest.

• @Eclipxe said:

@alecsbuga said:

Yes, Amp Designer and all stompboxes are there

N I C E !