Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Send audio from LoopyPro (iPad) to iPhone while it records video?

I've been really enjoying recording videos of little jams with synths and Loopy Pro.

Currently, I use record on Loopy Pro (iPad) to record the audio, and use my iPhone to record video. Then combine and sync the video file with the audio file in iMovie.

This is a bit annoying and time consuming to do.

Ideally I would like to be able to record the video with my iPhone, and have the audio for the video be recorded from Loopy Pro rather than the iPhone mic.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface and a TP link USB hub.

Any suggestions?

The best I can think of is buying another cheap interface and putting it after my current one, so the signal chain would go instruments -> 8i6 -> LoopyPro -> 8i6 output -> new interface -> iPhone video input/speakers

But would really like to do it without needing to buy another interface if possible.

Comments

• @aevai said:
    I've been really enjoying recording videos of little jams with synths and Loopy Pro.

Currently, I use record on Loopy Pro (iPad) to record the audio, and use my iPhone to record video. Then combine and sync the video file with the audio file in iMovie.

This is a bit annoying and time consuming to do.

Ideally I would like to be able to record the video with my iPhone, and have the audio for the video be recorded from Loopy Pro rather than the iPhone mic.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface and a TP link USB hub.

Any suggestions?

The best I can think of is buying another cheap interface and putting it after my current one, so the signal chain would go instruments -> 8i6 -> LoopyPro -> 8i6 output -> new interface -> iPhone video input/speakers

But would really like to do it without needing to buy another interface if possible.

You could record the audio on your iPad and use a video editing app to mute the iphone audio and load the audio you recorded on your iPad.

• When i do something simmilar i make a screen recording on the ipad and sync it up in LumaFusion. After the latest LumaFusion update this has become much much easyer because they have added multicam mode that can do automatic audio sync.

• So you’re wanting to record the video of your jam on the iPad? If so I’d do like someone else mentioned and screen record on the iPad and sync them together in post.

• Thanks so much for the responses and help.

For clarity, here is a video of how I have things set up at the moment

I quite like being able to have the iPad and Loopy Pro in the video, but maybe making a screen recording could help. Was hoping for a way to avoid having to do any syncing in post. So just press record on the iPhone camera and have the audio be from Loopy on the iPad.

I will check out LumaFusion.

• @espiegel123 said:

>

You could record the audio on your iPad and use a video editing app to mute the iphone audio and load the audio you recorded on your iPad.

That's kind of what I've been doing at the moment. But I can't start the iPhone video recording and iPad audio recording at the same time, so I end up needing to try and sync them up in a video editor. Hoping for a way to avoid needing to do this.

• If you can take a line out from any of those Elektron boxes, you could run that into your iPhone, using Apple’s little iPhone headphone dongle to plug it in.

The iPhone should just use that audio as input for the video camera.

• @Lorichs said:
    When i do something simmilar i make a screen recording on the ipad and sync it up in LumaFusion. After the latest LumaFusion update this has become much much easyer because they have added multicam mode that can do automatic audio sync.

I think using something like LumaFusion with autosync is going to end up being the easiest (and probably cheapest) solution. Looks like DaVinci Resolve (free) also has autosync for audio.

• @mistercharlie said:
    If you can take a line out from any of those Elektron boxes, you could run that into your iPhone, using Apple’s little iPhone headphone dongle to plug it in.

The iPhone should just use that audio as input for the video camera.

That's a good idea, but unfortunately I'm processing and mixing the audio on the iPad after it's left the Elektron box.

• I would use a second audio device. The Roland go:mixer was specialy made for videographers.

• Or get an iConnectAudio 4c with all that fat dough rolling in from YouTube views. ;)

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

That’s a pretty dope video jam btw. 👍

• @wim said:
    Or get an iConnectAudio 4c with all that fat dough rolling in from YouTube views. ;)

The iConnectAudio 4C actually looks perfect, but pricey.

And thanks!!

• Another idea, the Focusrite interface I'm using has 1/4" headphone jacks on the front. Maybe I just somehow input them to my iPhone? I'm looking into it now, but I don't think I would need another whole interface for that...?

• You could try Sonobus to stream the audio from iPad to iPhone. But I kind of doubt that your video recording app could use that as its source.
    You can get a cheaper interface then the go:mixer, something like that 30 dollar model from Behringer...

• @aevai said:
    Another idea, the Focusrite interface I'm using has 1/4" headphone jacks on the front. Maybe I just somehow input them to my iPhone? I'm looking into it now, but I don't think I would need another whole interface for that...?

Yes, you would need an interface if you want stereo audio. You might be able to do it with the right cable that puts a mono signal to the microphone ring on a headphone style jack. But it would be mono, and there could be impedance and level issues.

• The wireless AUv3 app by @SecretBaseDesign

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@Poppadocrock said:
    The wireless AUv3 app by @SecretBaseDesign

Too much latency for this use case.

Latency can be reduced a lot by using two ethernet adapters connected together, but it's probably still significant enough to require re-alignment to the video.

• For anyone interested, headphone out -> 1/4 inch to 3.5mm TRS -> Rode AI micro seems to be working well 😃