Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

About those headphone adapters...

If you're like me and think Apple's Lightning an USB-C headphone adapters are flimsy with their skinny cord, I can confirm this works really well:

Paracord Cord Reinforcement

Comments

• Useful thanks

• Yeah, I got one of these USB-C adaptors from Apple a couple of days ago. I was pretty surprised be the quality of the output and that it does a good job of driving even my 250Ω headphones. But, the cable is the exact same crap that is on the Lightning cables that come with an iPhone. Every one of these I've had has frayed within a year or two. The design is bad and doomed to failure --- especially on the little short cable that comes with the headphone adaptor.

I was going to go with duct tape to try and strengthen the cable, but this looks interesting. Thanks for the link!

• It's a bit of a pain getting the inner part of the Paracord out, especially if some gets stuck in the middle. Advice: Use about an 8 inch piece, which results in a very long piece once the innards are removed, but it gives you some leeway if some gets stuck in the middle forcing you to make another cut.

End result is pretty cool though:

• I use heatshrink.

• Stretchy electrical tape is obviously good, for all other cables.

• edited May 2023

@NeonSilicon said:
    But, the cable is the exact same crap that is on the Lightning cables that come with an iPhone. Every one of these I've had has frayed within a year or two.

But, but, but... that's ok because you are meant to buy a brand new iPhone every year or two. :smiley:

• edited May 2023

I saw the photo @sigma79 posted and felt very nostalgic. I thought I was recalling memories of things I had seen in my previous life, but I was wrong. That cable is one thing I have shoved a lot of into my junk box so far. (The only difference between the example in that photo and my work is that the direction of wrapping the tape is the opposite.)
    Using that method, the cable becomes like a straight stick. And the tape will gradually become sticky due to its adhesiveness.
    (Btw, the reason I worked so hard to write this post is because that photo is very impressive. Even without a description, that photo perfectly conveys what it is trying to say. The term collective unconscious has lost its place in modern philosophy, but I want to use it now. I feel that's where the mummy-like cable wrapped in tape came from.)
    Incidentally, a mysterious blue-green ink-like liquid may come out of the tear in the cable. I google anything I don't know about, but I dare to keep that green liquid a mystery. So no one must tell me what it is.

(EDITED)
    I re-read my text. And I realized it could be read as an ambiguous confession by a murderer. Alternatively, it could be read as a self-introduction written by a professional who extracts blue blood from horseshoe crabs for medical purposes, concealing their job title due to contractual confidentiality obligations. (So what?)