Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can Loopy be used as an audio recorder ?

Does anyone know if Loopy can be used like an audio recorder? Like with not looping mode?

Comments

• tjatja
    edited May 2023

You can record one-shots, I believe.

• I mean like in Ableton like a tape recorder?

• You can record long audio files, tell them not to loop, and arrange them on a timeline, but if I was strictly looking for a “tape recorder” type of thing, I’d reach for GarageBand or MTS first.

• @Antos3345 said:
    Does anyone know if Loopy can be used like an audio recorder? Like with not looping mode?

Yes.

What do you mean by “non-loop mode”? Do you just mean “don’t automatically play back when you finish recording”?

One-shots never loop.

Clips (the non one shot clips that one uses for loops) can be set to not playback after recording. You would probably also turn phase-lock off. Individual clips also can be set to only play once when triggered.

Do you have Loopy Pro and aren’t sure how to set this up?

• I mean like record whatever for 6 minutes and no looping .. like an audio recorder.

• @Antos3345 said:
    I mean like record whatever for 6 minutes and no looping .. like an audio recorder.

I did not yet reach a limit, 6 minutes is surely possible ... just test it?
    Some detail was posted above 🤗

• @Antos3345 said:
    I mean like record whatever for 6 minutes and no looping .. like an audio recorder.

I have recorded 45 minute long clip . I never tried anything longer

Do you have it and aren’t sure what settings to use?

• Thanks .. I’ll try this out. I guess I could also use AUM file player too.

• @Antos3345 said:
    Thanks .. I’ll try this out. I guess I could also use AUM file player too.

Do you have Loopy Pro? If so, I can tell you what settings you need. In my opinion, Loopy Pro is much quicker to use as a simple audio recorder. it'll take a minute to setup a template that will be available any time you create a new project.

• Hey @espiegel123, I'm still working to wrap my brain around the most basic of Loopy Pro basics, but I have to say, your above post and indeed, all your contributions here, are among the best contributions to an online tech community that I have seen in all my online years.

Seeing the helpful activity on this forum from you an others is a large part of why I am taking the plunge with Loopy Pro.

So thanks!

• @moondog said:
    Hey @espiegel123, I'm still working to wrap my brain around the most basic of Loopy Pro basics, but I have to say, your above post and indeed, all your contributions here, are among the best contributions to an online tech community that I have seen in all my online years.

Seeing the helpful activity on this forum from you an others is a large part of why I am taking the plunge with Loopy Pro.

So thanks!

Thanks.!

Please ask about any basics that confuse you. Perhaps we can get you squared away.

• @moondog said:
    Hey @espiegel123, I'm still working to wrap my brain around the most basic of Loopy Pro basics, but I have to say, your above post and indeed, all your contributions here, are among the best contributions to an online tech community that I have seen in all my online years.

So thanks!

Amen to that

• As a follow on from this. Is it possible to record straight to the timeline or do you always have to record to the donuts? Just curious. Also, when exporting a song, does this include the AUv3s that are running or just the donuts? I couldn't find anything in the manual that answered these questions. Is there a good tutorial on rendering/exporting finished tracks or is this just a matter of going into the export option?

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:
    As a follow on from this. Is it possible to record straight to the timeline or do you always have to record to the donuts? Just curious. Also, when exporting a song, does this include the AUv3s that are running or just the donuts? I couldn't find anything in the manual that answered these questions. Is there a good tutorial on rendering/exporting finished tracks or is this just a matter of going into the export option?

To record straight to the timeline, tap in the timeline to add an empty clip, drag it to the length or maximum length you want, arm the track and it will record.

Exporting a stereo mix includes all the effects in the mix.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Mountain_Hamlet said:
    As a follow on from this. Is it possible to record straight to the timeline or do you always have to record to the donuts? Just curious. Also, when exporting a song, does this include the AUv3s that are running or just the donuts? I couldn't find anything in the manual that answered these questions. Is there a good tutorial on rendering/exporting finished tracks or is this just a matter of going into the export option?

To record straight to the timeline, tap in the timeline to add an empty clip, drag it to the length or maximum length you want, arm the track and it will record.

Exporting a stereo mix includes all the effects in the mix.

Thanks for the quick reply @espiegel123 . Seriously appreciated.

So, the AUv3 and IAA input channels are treated as FX for rendering purposes?

• I am not not sure about IAA. AUv3 effects are rendered when you export a stereo mix. Occasionally, there are poorly behaved AUv3 that don’t handle off-line rendering. When I encounter one, I capture the mix by doing a session recording and playing the sequence.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I am not not sure about IAA. AUv3 effects are rendered when you export a stereo mix. Occasionally, there are poorly behaved AUv3 that don’t handle off-line rendering. When I encounter one, I capture the mix by doing a session recording and playing the sequence.

OK. Cool. So I'm best always recording these things to audio and arranging them that way and just treating the AUv3/IAA inputs as creation points for the audio ideas rather than solid tracks in their own right. Thanks for the clarity.

• I have been looking around for the answer to this very question and here it is. The answer. Thank you, espiegel123! I'm new to Loopy and I've been curious about the possibility of using it for mad freeform stuff in addition to more standard looping musical formats. It looks like this is eminently possible. Thanks-- you've just expanded Loopy Pro a hundred times for me.

• I just followed @espiegel123’s instructions for a simple recorder. If I set it to 32 bit, does it mean I can’t clip my recordings, or will it just take up more storage space?

• @mistercharlie said:
    I just followed @espiegel123’s instructions for a simple recorder. If I set it to 32 bit, does it mean I can’t clip my recordings, or will it just take up more storage space?

To be honest I don't know if "32 Bit" is integer format or floating point format in Loopy Pro.
    I would expect floating point, and in this case audio should not clip and yes, this is the preferred recording format for audio, as it can also recover best from low volume recordings compared to 24 or 16 bit integer format.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I just followed @espiegel123’s instructions for a simple recorder. If I set it to 32 bit, does it mean I can’t clip my recordings, or will it just take up more storage space?

I would imagine that it depends on whether your input device is providing 32-bit floating point. Most interfaces don't.

• edited July 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

I would imagine that it depends on whether your input device is providing 32-bit floating point. Most interfaces don't.

In this case, the input device would be the iPhone itself.

Edit: I should probably just test it myself 😜

• @mistercharlie said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

Do you mean the iPhone mic?

Note that 32-bit floating point is what most audio apps use for their internal audio processing. Even with 32-bit floating point, individual synths or effects can end up clipping (maybe because internally they aren't using 32-bit floating point, I am not sure).

• @espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

I do.

Note that 32-bit floating point is what most audio apps use for their internal audio processing. Even with 32-bit floating point, individual synths or effects can end up clipping (maybe because internally they aren't using 32-bit floating point, I am not sure).

This would only be for recording. I noticed the option, and thought it would be a good way to turn the iPhone into a foolproof field recorder. I will do a bit of testing and report back.

• @mistercharlie said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

I do.

This would only be for recording. I noticed the option, and thought it would be a good way to turn the iPhone into a foolproof field recorder. I will do a bit of testing and report back.

I am interested. Please keep us updated.

• I just did a quick test, recording a quiet room, and then shouting right into the iPhone’s mic, and it distorts on both 24 and 32 bit. There’s no way to reduce the clip level that I can find, only a volume level.

It could be that I’m clipping the mic though. Maybe.

• Anybody knows Neutron Recorder?

I think this should record in 32 bit float, so we could compare - sadly, I find no way to export from the App