Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can you do my homework please?

edited October 2022 in Knowledge Base

This post/question is analogous to asking a classmate to do your homework... Yikes… Feel free to super ignore it… I won’t be upset… lol

My mind currently is working within the AUM workflow. The first step is to get a sound in one of the AUM channels (a synth), then modify the sound by adding other apps below to that main synth in the same channel and play around until I get something that I like.
What are essential apps I should be thinking about using at that point?
For example:

Reverb: good for individual channels to modify the sound of individual elements during production. I guess you can also apply reverb to the melody as a whole, but I guess that’s more of a mixing step. That last statement is a guess. Recommendation: FAC Alteza, Crystalline by baby audio… etc This is the only one that I understand….

Compressor: Used in an individual channel to……. Used in the whole production to…… Recommend: ......

Last question. Once you have all your sounds in their respective channels and arranged (whether in a sequencer or in performance mode), how do you impact all those sounds at the same time? I hope that makes sense.

Although these might sound like stupid questions to most, the way I have formulated them is personalized to my brain. I guess I am kinda dumb, and this will help me more than a more formal conversation ….

Thank yall!

Comments

• Some suggestions:

Reverb – Use AUMs built-in Bus Send (post fader) to send each channel to a common Reverb channel with your chosen reverb app (AudioReverb for me). Set the reverb app fully wet and route it to your Master channel. The different send levels determine the amount of reverb applied to each channel; the reverb channel fader adjusts the total amount of reverb in the mix. You can Mute the reverb to just hear the clean sound.

EQ – Use to balance the tonality of each channel, sweeten the sound. Good choices are 6144, LRC7, AU3FX:PeakQ.

Compressor. Use in each channel to stabilize levels from that source. Use in Master channel to increase perceived loudness. Choices: RoughRider3, AU3FX:Push.

Take a look at the upcoming The Strip by DDMF for a solution combining EQ and comp.

Delay and chorus can be useful for certain instruments.

Route the output of each channel to the Master channel. Then, you can put overall effects in the master and they'll affect all the sounds. The pic shows this setup.

• @uncledave said:
    Some suggestions:

Reverb – Use AUMs built-in Bus Send (post fader) to send each channel to a common Reverb channel with your chosen reverb app (AudioReverb for me). Set the reverb app fully wet and route it to your Master channel. The different send levels determine the amount of reverb applied to each channel; the reverb channel fader adjusts the total amount of reverb in the mix. You can Mute the reverb to just hear the clean sound.

EQ – Use to balance the tonality of each channel, sweeten the sound. Good choices are 6144, LRC7, AU3FX:PeakQ.

Compressor. Use in each channel to stabilize levels from that source. Use in Master channel to increase perceived loudness. Choices: RoughRider3, AU3FX:Push.

Take a look at the upcoming The Strip by DDMF for a solution combining EQ and comp.

Delay and chorus can be useful for certain instruments.

Route the output of each channel to the Master channel. Then, you can put overall effects in the master and they'll affect all the sounds. The pic shows this setup.

Oh man, thank you for being the nerdy and cool kid! I am shooting for an A!!!

• A lot of this is learned by experimenting and listening. I could give you my recipes, but then you’d sound like me, not you. Choosing and setting up fx to please your own ear is part of the creative process. I often swap them out, rearrange the order, just to find out how it sounds and what I prefer.

Your last question is the most interesting, but I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to do.

• I learned that you can send all signals to a channel and then apply effects to all of them simultaneously. My question was made when I didn’t understand that. Thanks for looking at this question again. I have not made any new music in a long while… I need to get back in the game!!!

• I wonder how Chat GPT would answer your question? ;)

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@Chat GPT said:

Don't worry, I'm here to help! It's completely normal to have questions when exploring new workflows and techniques. Let's break down your questions and provide some guidance.

Essential Apps for Modifying Sounds in AUM Channels:

1. Reverb: Reverb adds a sense of space and depth to your sounds. It can be applied to individual elements or the entire mix. Some recommended reverb apps for iOS include FAC Alteza, Crystalline by Baby Audio, and Audio Damage EOS.

2. Compressor: A compressor helps control the dynamic range of a sound, making it more consistent and controlled. It can be used on individual channels to shape the sound or on the entire mix for overall dynamics control. Some popular compressor apps for iOS are FabFilter Pro-C, Klevgrand PressIt, and Audio Damage Rough Rider.

3. Delay: Delay adds repetitions or echoes of a sound, creating a sense of spaciousness and rhythm. It can be used creatively to add depth or rhythmically to create interesting patterns. Some recommended delay apps for iOS are Eventide Blackhole, Strymon Volante, and Klevgrand DAW Cassette.

4. EQ (Equalizer): EQ allows you to shape the frequency content of a sound. It can be used to boost or cut specific frequencies, enhancing or reducing certain elements. Some popular EQ apps for iOS include FabFilter Pro-Q, Waves Q10, and Klevgrand GrandFinale.

5. Modulation Effects: Modulation effects, such as chorus, flanger, and phaser, add movement and character to sounds. They can be used subtly or dramatically depending on your desired effect. Some recommended modulation apps for iOS are Eventide MicroPitch, Audio Damage Phosphor, and Klevgrand Jussi.

6. Distortion/Saturation: Distortion and saturation add warmth, grit, or overdrive to sounds. They can be used to add character or make sounds more aggressive. Some popular distortion/saturation apps for iOS are FabFilter Saturn, Audio Damage Discord4, and Klevgrand Svep.

Impacting All Sounds at the Same Time:
    Once you have all your sounds in their respective channels and arranged, you can apply global effects to impact the entire mix. In AUM, you can use the "Send" feature to send the audio from multiple channels to a bus channel, where you can apply effects that affect all the sounds together. For example, you could add a master bus compressor or EQ to shape the overall dynamics or tonal balance of your mix.

Remember, there are no "stupid" questions when it comes to learning and exploring new concepts. Everyone has their own unique way of understanding things. Feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know!

(Literal output after cut/paste of the OP)

• @wim ChatGPT V3 or V4?

You don't need the friendly forum members anymore for such questions, it seems 😳😳😳

I still hope, that you did write that ...

• @tja said:
    @wim ChatGPT V3 or V4?

You don't need the friendly forum members anymore for such questions, it seems 😳😳😳

I still hope, that you did write that ...

Nope. That was 100% ChatGPT after a simple cut and paste of the text of the original post.

• edited May 2023

Um… but ‘Strymon Volante’ isn’t an IOS app, is it? (Or Is it?) Blackhole is a reverb, not a delay; and Klevgrand DAW Cassette is a tape effect, not a delay, to name just three of the recs (Jussi for modulation fx? Discord a distortion?) Other than that, ChatGPT, a bang up job!

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

Ha ha! Yep, that's chatGPT, a bunch of really useful sounding information salted with a couple of bogus bits. Good fun for non critical tasks, but I hope no-one asks it for advice on how to diffuse a bomb.

• @wim said:
    Ha ha! Yep, that's chatGPT, a bunch of really useful sounding information salted with a couple of bogus bits. Good fun for non critical tasks, but I hope no-one asks it for advice on how to diffuse a bomb.

Or medical advice!

• It’s the confidence with which it delivers utter nonsense which is kind of admirable. Not the first time humans have had this kind of problem with AI, though:

• Fantastic movie, @Svetlovska

• :D @Svetlovska ” It’s the confidence with which it delivers utter nonsense which is kind of admirable. Not the first time humans have had this kind of problem with AI, though:”

Ah, but we can do that on our own. We don’t need AI for that! :D

• I do it all the time on this forum.