Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro Genius saver?

edited May 2023 in Loopy Pro

I was looking at this to use in Ableton as I’m either recording far too much cruft, or not recording and missing things:

https://www.birdsthings.com/

but thought before buying yet another plugin, is there a way to do exactly the same in Loopy Pro, but better? (cross platform and multitrack for a start)

It’s a rolling recorder that constantly keeps the last x amount of audio sent though it, that you can quickly drag and drop to keep if you’ve just done something clever, but will discard it constantly as well so that you only keep that last minute, five, or thirty seconds that you’ve set it to…

Comments

• @Krupa said:
    I was looking at this to use in Ableton as I’m either recording far too much cruft, or not recording and missing things:

https://www.birdsthings.com/

but thought before buying yet another plugin, is there a way to do exactly the same in Loopy Pro, but better? (cross platform and multitrack for a start)

It’s a rolling recorder that constantly keeps the last x amount of audio sent though it, that you can quickly drag and drop to keep if you’ve just done something clever, but will discard it constantly as well so that you only keep that last minute, five, or thirty seconds that you’ve set it to…

Loopy pro is always listening and retrospectively can record up to the previous two minutes or so.

• Cheers Ed, looks simple when you do it, I keep doing stints of learning it but it hasn’t stuck yet…

• @Krupa said:
    Cheers Ed, looks simple when you do it, I keep doing stints of learning it but it hasn’t stuck yet…

If you ask questions or share what you are having trouble understanding, perhaps we can clarify. While Loopy has a tone of options, it is pretty straightforward if you just learn about the options you need.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Krupa said:
    Cheers Ed, looks simple when you do it, I keep doing stints of learning it but it hasn’t stuck yet…

If you ask questions or share what you are having trouble understanding, perhaps we can clarify. While Loopy has a tone of options, it is pretty straightforward if you just learn about the options you need.

There’s no shortage of knowledge out there tbh, it’s just not sticking in the way other things have for me. It might just take a more concerted effort to gain some muscle memory for it; I never really completely understood the previous versions either, beautifully designed no doubt, but very opaque…

• @Krupa said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Krupa said:

There’s no shortage of knowledge out there tbh, it’s just not sticking in the way other things have for me. It might just take a more concerted effort to gain some muscle memory for it; I never really completely understood the previous versions either, beautifully designed no doubt, but very opaque…

Can you say but makes it seem opaque? As a straightforward looper, it's tap to record (or play if a clip already has audio) and tap to stop. Normally, it will take the tempo from the first loop recorded but you can pre-set the tempo, too.

It has options to set:

• for when recording and playback (such as right away or quantized to line up with a particular bar count).
    • whether new clips automatically record for a fixed time or wait till you tell them to stop recording.
    • The last critical setting is whether loops are always following the timeline or start from the beginning when triggered.

There are other options and features for added flexibility and depth but which aren't critical for simple looping.

• I always find its way too easy to forget what options you’ve out where, which are global and which are local etc… I should just use it more and see if it clicks, but because of the incredibly low friction that I’ve got with Ableton or AUM I tend to reach for those than something I don’t yet have the language for… I don’t think it’sa problem that can be fixed with extra knowledge, just practice and familiarity, which will need some resolve to acquire… I also realised that it doesn’t actually work on the Mac, so it’s not a replacement for the retro recorder I mentioned anyway… simple sometimes costs cash so I’ll probably end up getting that 😄

Thanks for trying Ed, I’ll get there at some point 👍