Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beathawk Feedback

Comments

• @BastienCo said:
    According to all I just read, next big improvement would be the midi clock to fully enhance inter-app experience.

yes, that would allow for some great work flows. merci!

• Great news about midi clock sync, looking forward to that @BastienCo :)

I've just tested Pro-midi with Beathawk and after a bit of a head scratch (have to switch midi routing to "midi to Virtual AU") it's working well.

anyway good stuff :)

• I have used BeatHawk to create whole compositions with its Song mode; then record it as a stereo track into Cubasis via AudioBus. I make sure both have the exact matching tempos assigned to each; and hope that it stays in sync in Cubasis. I have to sometimes slide the audio track to line up with the measures in Cubasis. Once this is done, I start adding tracks in Cubasis with other iOS synths.

Getting MIDI sync (start, stop, and sync to tempo) would make BeatHawk be used for what it is designed for; a groove box with great song compostion functions. Without MIDI sync, I have been experimenting by using BH as an IAA sound module within Cubasis. For example, I record MIDI notes into Cubasis and drive the sounds and pitches in BH without recording them in BH. Then the IAA audio is captured in Cubasis by freezing the MIDI track.

If BH had MIDI sync, grooves could be built and recorded in BH in pattern or song mode, then start and stopped via MIDI CLOCK-OUT ONLY from Cubasis (or other iOS host app); not MIDI Notes, but MIDI Clock. This would guarantee that the tempo of BH would exactly match the tempo in Cubasis. You could bounce back and forth between BeatHawk and Cubasis and modify each to your hearts content, until you are satisfied with the final composition; to then mix down.

The strength of BeatHawk is to build and save grooves completely in BeatHawk, and not to be used as just another sound source. We already have plenty of synths and sample players to be used as sound sources.

So hopefully, BeatHawk will have a full implementation of MIDI sync, soon.

• Hi @otristan - I haven't Jailbroken my ipad actually - that's way to scary for me :)...

I just use iTool to explore the files on my ipad.

• oki doki :)

• Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and wanted to know are people still having problem of purchased sounds disappearing when BH is not connected to wifi.only a few remain but are gone and hard to get back. I had purchase the complete library.

• @Socliquish said:
    Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and wanted to know are people still having problem of purchased sounds disappearing when BH is not connected to wifi.only a few remain but are gone and hard to get back. I had purchase the complete library.

Only few people experience problems with in-app purchase, most of them were coming from bad internet configuration. Send a ticket to http://www.uvi.net/contact-support and we will investigate your case.
    If you could provide the log file in the documents of beathawk it would be very helpful, you can get it using itunes.

• Question for @BastienCo. If I AudioCopy/paste a sample into the User Library; is there a way to make it loop? I can only get it to play once.

I have been successful in bringing Apple Loops into BeatHawk; and since they have been sliced with transients, they seem to line up with the tempo pretty well; as long as I hit the pad right on the beat.

I use AudioShare to retrieve Apple Loops from my iCloud Drive... I have thousands of them; and I can use the Apple Loops Utility on my Mac to create my own. In AudioShare, I then have to use the Tools/Convert to 16 bit, 44K Wave file. I then AudioCopy/paste into BeatHawk.

It would be great if sound files or loops could be "Open In" directly from AudioShare; or even better, in my case, directly from my iCloud Drive into BeatHawk.

It would be fantastic if BeatHawk could read sliced Apple Loops, or Rex, or Acid files directly; and keep the time-slicing and looping function intact.

• I'll go leave them some feedback at the link provided. My initial impression, and what comes to mind at the moment, are that just about all of the included kits sound absolutely horrible. That is, unless you are into over-processed commercial EDM and Dubstep.

• Press 'Erase', asked 'Would you like to empty this track?' Press 'Yes' and voila, nothing happens. Smashing stuff ...

• @bsantoro

You can copy directly your Apple loops and Acid files to BeatHawk using the shared folder accessible through iTunes. We plan to offer a better support for user content though in order to ease this process probably using iCloud feature.

Rex files won't work as this is an encrypted proprietary file format which can only be used through a propellerheads library not available on iOS.

Regarding enabling looping in samples, we'll see what we can do. Please note that if your samples already contains loop information, BH will read those though.

• @Holiday What kind of sounds would like to see ?

• @otristan said:
    bsantoro

You can copy directly your Apple loops and Acid files to BeatHawk using the shared folder accessible through iTunes. We plan to offer a better support for user content though in order to ease this process probably using iCloud feature.

Rex files won't work as this is an encrypted proprietary file format which can only be used through a propellerheads library not available on iOS.

Regarding enabling looping in samples, we'll see what we can do. Please note that if your samples already contains loop information, BH will read those though.

does audiocopy paste transfer the loop info as above or just the audio?

• @Deselby said:
    Press 'Erase', asked 'Would you like to empty this track?' Press 'Yes' and voila, nothing happens. Smashing stuff ...

Hi, This is just erasing all the notes/CC from a single channel (The selected pad) are you sure you were not expecting some other behavior ?

• edited March 2015

@DaveMagoo

I thought they provided the original file so I would have said yes but as I see this from Audio copy website

AudioCopy 3.0 Beta Improvements
    Copy & paste now includes meta data (such as transients and tempo)

And we use the 2.0 SDK, I think it does not work.

We will probably upgrade to V3 as soon as it's officially released.

• @BastienCo said:
    Hi, This is just erasing all the notes/CC from a single channel (The selected pad) are you sure you were not expecting some other behavior ?

As you say, erasing all the notes from a single channel. From the manual - "To initialize a pad, hold down ERASE (2) and tap the pad you want to clear." As stated, nothing happens. No notes are erased from the channel.

• @Deselby said:
    As you say, erasing all the notes from a single channel. From the manual - "To initialize a pad, hold down ERASE (2) and tap the pad you want to clear." As stated, nothing happens. No notes are erased from the channel.

Ho yes ! my bad, sorry.. This is a weird issue, does it happen all the time ? with different pads / projects ?

• @BastienCo said:

My misunderstanding, I understood the sample to be cleared, not the CC. Sorry.

• @oristan, just to clarify; in order to get the Apple Loop onto the AudioCopy pasteboard from my iCloud Drive, I have to use AudioShare. AudioShare can retrieve files from the iCloud Drive. However, in order for AudioShare to copy the Apple Loop file (.caf) to the AudioCopy clipboard, it has to first convert the Apple Loop file into a .wav file. Maybe then it looses its looping and transient information. From AudioCopy, I then paste it into the User Library in BeatHawk.

• @bsantoro I don't know how AudioCopy works internally so I don't know what they keep and discard regarding loop info unfortunately.

FWIW, BH handle Apple loop in CAF format so if you copy those in the shared folder with iTunes it will work as well..

• @oristan and @BastienCo, I tried the iTunes File Sharing approach to import sounds and CAF files will not show up. WAV files show up fine in the User Library. So, it looks like CAF files cannot be used in BeatHawk.

• edited March 2015

@bsantoro Well, we use the core audio sample reader and CAF files works fine with it on OSX. I would have though it would be the same on iOS. Will need to check then. Thanks for the report

• @bsantoro This is a just a bug in fact. We only show files with specific extension and CAF is not one of those :(
    This will be fixed in next version. You can try to rename your file to .wav and it should work. Sorry about that.

• edited March 2015

@bsantoro Looks like the Famous Forum Beta Testers* strike again :) Thanks for trying, saved me the trouble later...

[*Our motto is: No, please, don't worry, we'll try it out for you....]

• Thanks @otristan. Just changing the names to .wav instead of .caf worked great. It is quite a hassle to change the names of the files. I look forward to an update that allows for direct import of .caf files from the iCloud Drive. Keep up the great work!

Another suggestion for future updates would be to add a 16 pad (4x4) matrix as part of the Pitch mode options; besides the current key pads. For those of us who have external drum pad MIDI controllers, this would be welcome. Your drum sounds respond really well with incoming MIDI velocity. This make for really dynamic drum performances.

MIDI Learn would be great also.

• As for kits...I tend to want to start with a good base and then build the sound with my own processing. However I don't mind a kick that's already pretty punchy for example. I'm more into creating Techno, Minimal, Dub Techno, Jungle, House and Tech House. I already have oodles of kits on my Mac so I suppose I could just import them (hopefully at 24 bit) and go from there. Niche Audio has some good kits and sounds as well I hear praise for Goldbaby's stuff. I've also been getting into classic drum machines like the DMX and such. I'm a big fan of New Wave and there seems to be a resurgence of that sound being called Minimal Wave/Cold Wave/Synth Wave. I like what Com Truise is doing. I just wish the included kits had something I could do some sweet Minimal Techno with.

• @Holiday oki doki for the kits. BH does support 24 bit audio files as well.

• Hi fellow Beathawkers, has any of you bought the Mello IAP ?
    Just downloaded it but only got 24 presets ( none of the 840 samples)
    Anyone had a similar result with this or other downloads?
    Appreciate any input.

• edited March 2015

Mello presets are multi sampled and not a single sample stretched across the keyboard.

So it's not a bug.

We don't give access to individual samples as it would not make much sense in real case use.
    However you should probably switch to pitch mode to appreciate the whole instrument.

Hope this answers your questions.

• Yes,I see what you mean ! Many thanks for your speedy reply otristan.
    Beathawk is an outstanding app,keep up the good work!