Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Will Loopy work for me?

Loopy HD questions

Greetings,

After 30+ years of using hardware loopers, I am considering making the move to a software-based looping tool. Loopy HD has caught my eye as an extremely attractive possibility (I don’t need the added functions and complexity of Loopy Pro), but I have some questions about compatibility and functionality.

If I have posted this in the wrong place, I apologize. Just let me know where I should post and I will move this message to there. Thanks! So, on to my questions:

• Will Loopy HD run on a 6th gen iPad with software version 14.7.1?

• My plan would be to use an UA Volt as an interface and a Morningstar MC8 foot controller (a FANTASTIC device) to run Loopy HD. I have seen several videos about how well the MC8 works with Loopy. Are there any known compatibility issues between Loopy and the UA gear?

• Are there any other interfaces you would recommend over the UA?

• I need to know if Loopy HD will do the following:

o Allow me to instantly reverse an individual clip
o Allow me to instantly double or halve the SPEED of an individual clip
o Fade out an individual clip
o Fade out a session as a whole
o Allow me to preset a universal fade out time for clips or sessions that is INDEPENDENT of clip length
o Allow me to create a session with clips of different length that are not synced

Thank you for your help,

moondog

Comments

• wimwim
    edited April 2023

Loopy HD is no longer being developed. I highly recommend getting Loopy Pro instead. It can do everything in your bullet list except reverse playback, which is due real soon, in the next release.

• Also, keep in mind that Loopy HD requires using AudioBus to get output from other apps into it. Loopy Pro doesn't have that limitation.

• Thank you for your quick responses and your suggestions.

Can I assume it's easy to "ignore" all of Loopy HD's other functions and just use it as a straight-ahead looper as if it was the HD version?

Also, I forgot one question: I assume Loopy will allow me to save a session and call it up later but can you confirm that is the case?

Thanks again.

• wimwim
    edited April 2023

Loopy Pro can be as simple or complex as you like it to be. It’s easy to get started with it as a dead simple looper. But, once you start to get into things like your bullet points suggest, I won’t lie, there is a learning curve. The same could be said for Loopy HD too though.

BTW. It’s free to try for a week. You might want to wait until v1.1 with reverse is out to start the trial though. Should be coming soon.

And yes, Loopy Pro has full session saving capability.

• Yes, I have seen many references to the learning curve. I've spent several decades learning how to use various recording and music-making tools but it's been a while since I dove into anything as deep a Loopy appears to be. Hopefully my creaky old brain is still up to the task.

Good call on waiting for the next release with reverse capability. That is extremely important for my usage model.

Thanks again.

• @moondog said:
    Yes, I have seen many references to the learning curve. I've spent several decades learning how to use various recording and music-making tools but it's been a while since I dove into anything as deep a Loopy appears to be. Hopefully my creaky old brain is still up to the task.

Good call on waiting for the next release with reverse capability. That is extremely important for my usage model.

Thanks again.

In the meantime, there are quite a few good tutorials and demonstrations for Loopy Pro -- including a video manual John Paul Music and a wealth of tutorials from Sound For More.

• Check out also Loopmix by audio modern

• @espiegel123 said:

@moondog said:
    Yes, I have seen many references to the learning curve. I've spent several decades learning how to use various recording and music-making tools but it's been a while since I dove into anything as deep a Loopy appears to be. Hopefully my creaky old brain is still up to the task.

Thanks again.

In the meantime, there are quite a few good tutorials and demonstrations for Loopy Pro -- including a video manual John Paul Music and a wealth of tutorials from Sound For More.

Indeed, John Paul's intro videos are what convinced me Loopy could work for me. I've got all the chapters of his video manual bookmarked already. I'll be sure to check out the Sound for More stuff.

Do we have any sense of when V1.1 might be coming?

@fearandloathing said:
    Check out also Loopmix by audio modern

That looks extremely cool and I can imagine how something like that can turbocharge a session. But I'm just a little old (literally) live looping guitarist. It will be all I can do to get my head around Loopy itself. But who knows?

• @moondog : version 1.1 will be out very soon. It is feature frozen and in the homestretch of finding and squashing bugs.

• @moondog said:

@espiegel123 said:

@moondog said:

Thanks again.

Indeed, John Paul's intro videos are what convinced me Loopy could work for me. I've got all the chapters of his video manual bookmarked already. I'll be sure to check out the Sound for More stuff.

Do we have any sense of when V1.1 might be coming?

@fearandloathing said:
    Check out also Loopmix by audio modern

That looks extremely cool and I can imagine how something like that can turbocharge a session. But I'm just a little old (literally) live looping guitarist. It will be all I can do to get my head around Loopy itself. But who knows?

I doubt it'll be too steep a climb especially if you've used loopers before. Loopy starts you out with some tutorials and the defaults get the basics out of the way pretty quickly. There are some crazy complicated example templates included. Staying away from those in the beginning and sticking to the basics is advised if you scare away easily. 😉

• tjatja
    edited April 2023

@moondog said:

Thanks again.

Check out the fantastic manual:

https://loopypro.com/manual

And some videos:

A whole tutorial series from different channels:

And of course the new Loopy-Pro Tips:

• Loopy Pro is genuinely a game changer for iOS stuff and loopers/software in general. Can’t recommend it enough. As others have said, it can work very well as a straight ahead looper and do so much more on top of it. I’ve only just scratched the surface myself.

• Wow! I am nearly overwhelmed by this expansive and generous welcome. Thank you all.

@espiegel123 said:
    @moondog : version 1.1 will be out very soon. It is feature frozen and in the homestretch of finding and squashing bugs.

This is great news! Thanks.

@wim said:
    I doubt it'll be too steep a climb especially if you've used loopers before. Loopy starts you out with some tutorials and the defaults get the basics out of the way pretty quickly. There are some crazy complicated example templates included. Staying away from those in the beginning and sticking to the basics is advised if you scare away easily. 😉

Yeah, I've been using hardware loopers since I first got the original rackmount Lexicon Jamman back in the previous century. Then there was the DL4, the Boomerang+Sidecar (which I'd still be using if it could save loops), a Looperlative L2, and now a Headrush Looperboard (what a disappointment that company turned out to be), and a Helix FX (on my travel board). My hope is that Loopy will replace the Headrush.

So I know what I want/need in a looper. The challenge for me will be to figure out how to configure Loopy to be the looper of my dreams.

@tja said:
    Check out the fantastic manual:

https://loopypro.com/manual

And some videos:

Thanks! I've already got the manual bookmarked and have watched John Paul's Ep. 1 and the Pro tips video.

I am confused about one thing, though (not the first time I say that in this forum, I'm sure):

I understand that Loopy Pro will have clip reverse in the next update but I was watching John Paul's video about using an MC8 with Loopy HD and it shows him setting up reverse as a command for one of the MC8 switches. So Loopy HD has reverse but Loopy Pro did not release with reverse? Was there a functional reason for that?

Thanks again one and all for your information and encouragement.

• @moondog said:

……

I understand that Loopy Pro will have clip reverse in the next update but I was watching John Paul's video about using an MC8 with Loopy HD and it shows him setting up reverse as a command for one of the MC8 switches. So Loopy HD has reverse but Loopy Pro did not release with reverse? Was there a functional reason for that?

Sometimes things take longer than you expect.

Loopy Pro was a massive project and not every feature was able to get into 1.0. Loopy Pro is a new code base and was implemented to be able to handle a wealth of situations that Loopy HD did not and to be stable/flexible/expandable going forward. My understanding is that doing variable rate playback “right” ended up taking longer than expected and required some aspects of the loopy pro core to be finished first.

• edited April 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@moondog said:

……

Sometimes things take longer than you expect.

Loopy Pro was a massive project and not every feature was able to get into 1.0. Loopy Pro is a new code base and was implemented to be able to handle a wealth of situations that Loopy HD did not and to be stable/flexible/expandable going forward. My understanding is that doing variable rate playback “right” ended up taking longer than expected and required some aspects of the loopy pro core to be finished first.

That all makes sense. My rule of thumb is that everything will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you think. I figured it was something along those lines. In my mind, "massive" doesn't even begin to describe what Michael has done. A truly awe-inspiring effort.

Your explanation makes a lot more sense than the Headrush approach of "Oh, we didn't realize that - insert most basic function needed by looping musicians - was something you'd want." (Oh no, I'm not bitter at all ;) )

• Please pardon my conspicuous absence from this thread! Busy times! Yeah, reverse didn’t make it into 1.0 just because it was actually quite difficult to implement given the way Pro works, versus the much simpler HD. I’m still quite mortified that it’s taken this long to get in there, but better late than never 😅

My rule of thumb is that everything will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you think

Since becoming a parent, this is 3x 😬

Thanks heaps for the kind words, everyone!

• @Michael said:
    Please pardon my conspicuous absence from this thread! Busy times! Yeah, reverse didn’t make it into 1.0 just because it was actually quite difficult to implement given the way Pro works, versus the much simpler HD. I’m still quite mortified that it’s taken this long to get in there, but better late than never 😅

My rule of thumb is that everything will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you think

Since becoming a parent, this is 3x 😬

Thanks heaps for the kind words, everyone!

Thank you Michael, especially for the extra help! You are a great dev and man. What a mensch! (I got it working btw Michael, and the full version is amazing).