Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

*Solved*Loopy Pro Losing Midi Connection with foot pedal*Soft Reset*UCNET midi driver

edited April 2023 in Loopy Pro

So I have always seem to have midi issues with Loopy pro as far as after a while, it forgets I have external midi connected. In the past day, it seems that it is forgetting a lot quicker. Anybody else having issues?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited April 2023

@TheAudioDabbler said:
    So I have always seem to have midi issues with Loopy pro as far as after a while, it forgets I have external midi connected. In the past day, it seems that it is forgetting a lot quicker. Anybody else having issues?

Bluetooth or USB?

Also, is this on the App Store version or a beta test version? The last app store update was March 23 so its unlikely that today's increase in problems for you is related to changes in Loopy if you're on the App Store version.

Does the same USB connection drop in any other app such as AUM?

Oh, and no. I haven't had any such issues and haven't heard of any on the Discord or Slack channels either.

• USB. AUM works perfect. LoopyPro inside of AUM works perfect. Right now Loopy Pro will not recognize my Midi. I did update to the latest accidentally, well on purpose because it was already half working.

Works on my iPhone well. it has not been updated.

• I even deleted Loopy Pro and lost everything and it still isn't working. Very frustrated, I have a church session tonight. Got to build a quick AUM/Loopy Session before 7 tonight.

• Beta or App Store??

• Have you rebooted the iPad?

• App store, not part of the beta. and yes rebooted several times.

• @TheAudioDabbler said:
    USB. AUM works perfect. LoopyPro inside of AUM works perfect. Right now Loopy Pro will not recognize my Midi. I did update to the latest accidentally, well on purpose because it was already half working.

That’s never happened to me.

Can you say more about what you mean by “Loopy Pro will not recognize my midi”?

What midi hardware controllers?

Do you mean midi bindings aren’t working?

Your midi devices aren’t being seen when you choose “Add Midi”?

Midi routings aren’t working?

With a bit more information, we can provide better troubleshooting tips?

• Maybe try turning off midi feedback?
    Control Settings > [controller] > Feedback Enabled : OFF

• @espiegel123 said:

@TheAudioDabbler said:
    USB. AUM works perfect. LoopyPro inside of AUM works perfect. Right now Loopy Pro will not recognize my Midi. I did update to the latest accidentally, well on purpose because it was already half working.

Pacer Nektor foot controller

Midi bindings aren't working nor will it let me midi learn

Yes bit nothing would respond.

It might be a faulty USB cable but why would it work in AUM and not Loopy Pro? Those cats need to get tother and share some code if that is the case.

• I just did a scan of all the Nektar Pacer postings on the Loopy Pro Discord. No problems reported. And there are some heavy duty users there.

• @TheAudioDabbler said:

@espiegel123 said:

@TheAudioDabbler said:

Pacer Nektor foot controller

Midi bindings aren't working nor will it let me midi learn

Yes bit nothing would respond.

It might be a faulty USB cable but why would it work in AUM and not Loopy Pro? Those cats need to get tother and share some code if that is the case.

I want to make sure I understand, when the pacer is not working in loopy, if you open AUM and without having done anything else, it is working?

If that is the case, can you try the following, the next time it happens, create a new loopy pro project using Loopy's project. Add your midi device as a midi input device on the mixer page. add an auv3 midi monitor (if you don't have one streambyter is free and can be used as a midi monitor), make streambyter the destination for the Pacer. Open the streambyter AU and go to the monitor page. press buttons on the pacer.

Does it see the midi?

If it does, open up your normal project and in the midi control panel turn off enable feedback and set the midi timestamp setting to the opposite of the current setting and see if that makes a difference.

• Btw, is loopy always in the foreground when you use it? Do the problems happen only if loopy leaves the foreground and then comes back to the front?

• @espiegel123 yes, when it stops working in loopy, I can open up AUM and get all the midi signals I want. I have tried a new USB cable, Hub.

I tried the streambyter approach and got no midi data using loopy but got midi data using AUM. I turned Feedback off, still nothing.

This is why I have almost switched to strictly hardware several times, but I never do because I usually figure things out. If boss were to come out with an updated RC-202, I would pair that with my akai force and have all the looping I would need. I would then slowly start building my pedal board for my guitar.

• I guess what is frustrating is that I have been running this Loopy Pro setup at church for almost a year, before that I was using AUM. No issues with either except the occasional issue where if my setup sat to long without movement, loopy would forget. I would simply restart loopy and everything was golden.

• wimwim
    edited April 2023

Is the Nektar attached to a powered hub? If not it might be worthwhile trying to attach through one. If it is, then it might be worth trying connecting directly or with a different hub. [edit] I see there's an external power jack. Maybe try using that if you aren't already?

Sorry, just shooting in the dark here. I've not found any correlation with these problems in comments I've read on different sources.

When troubleshooting odd problems like this, I always ask myself if there's anything else that has changed recently. Sometimes I find some change that seems unrelated but ends up being the cause.

Sorry ... I got nothin' I'm just rambling now.

• I did update to 16.4.1. Other than that, it was already acting a little strange on the previous iOS. I have it connected via 5-pin midi to my H9 and that always works.

• This is incredibly mysterious! Just wondering, when it’s in a state where LP can’t see any incoming midi, if you open up Audiobus and try setting up a connection (maybe repeat the streambyter experiment there), does that work? Let me know if you need a copy of Audiobus.

I ask because AB uses the same midi code as LP.

• This may not be relevant, but I had a similar problem with the Chocolate Bluetooth MIDI controller (4 buttons). It would be dropped by iPadOS after exactly 56 minutes, independant of activity. It would reconnect immediatedly, but I had to restart AUM in order to see it again. I made a StreamByter script to send a MIDI Active Sensing message to it every 60 seconds. Now, it's not made to receive any MIDI messages, but this false activity apparently fooled iPadOS, and it stayed connected for 2.5 hours with very intermittent use. This might be a similar situation where the OS is dropping a connection it believes to be dead.

• @Michael it works in Audiobus just fine. Now it is working in Loopy pro. Are Audiobus and loopy connected somehow? Going to test a few more things then I will be at church at 7 for the real test. I am off from my day job tomorrow so if there is still issues I will be troubleshooting. Might go live as I trouble shoot.

• Nevermind, Already stopped working again.

• @TheAudioDabbler : when this happens:

• has loopy been the front app the entire time?
    • Is background audio turned on in Loopy?
  • edited April 2023

Let me edit my previous response. Now that it stopped working again, it no longer works in Audiobus either. But it still works in AUM.

• wimwim
    edited April 2023

As a last resort, you could maybe try running AUM in the background, connecting to it instead of Loopy, then route from AUM to Loopy and in Loopy use Virtual MIDI In as the input instead. Kind of a house of cards, but maybe a plan B in case weirdness starts to happen again.

I'm feeling your pain bro. There's something about live gigs, and it especially seems church gigs, that brings out the weirdest problems. Been there. 😐

• I’ll have a chat with Jonatan to see what he’s doing differently with how he interacts with the midi system

• So I get to church and setup and bam, the Lord is good. So far Loopy Pro is working. Just got to throw a some ambient effects together and I will be good to go.

• edited April 2023

Interesting. Jonatan and I haven't found substantive changes yet – I'm wondering how much is just how you're using the apps. Core MIDI definitely has some bugs, which can lock up the system, among other things, and I wouldn't put it past it to mess up the MIDI access for particular apps after some triggering event.

Jonatan has experienced similar support issues in the past, where some device basically drops out/locks up, which is interesting.

When it's in the state where LP can't receive MIDI from that device, I'm curious to know if you plug in a different MIDI device, whether LP can receive from that device?

• @Michael i tested that right before I left for church when LP wasn’t working. I plugged in another midi controller and it did not show up.

I know I have some ground loop noise power issues with my audio at home. I wonder if the power issue could be related. I will test my setup in a bit at home and let you know. It could have just been a glitch in the matrix.

• So tried the exact same setup, I literally removed my pedal board from the case, plugged it in, just like I did at church and Bam, nothing is working. After a few tries it did try to work but then it stopped. AUM still works perfectly. @Michael I saw Diagnostic Mode in the Loopy Pro settings, would turning that on help identify what is going on?

I was also never part of the test flight beta, if you have that going on, wondered if that might help narrow down what is going on. Its not giving any errors though.

• @TheAudioDabbler said:
    So tried the exact same setup, I literally removed my pedal board from the case, plugged it in, just like I did at church and Bam, nothing is working. After a few tries it did try to work but then it stopped. AUM still works perfectly. @Michael I saw Diagnostic Mode in the Loopy Pro settings, would turning that on help identify what is going on?

I was also never part of the test flight beta, if you have that going on, wondered if that might help narrow down what is going on. Its not giving any errors though.

I was thinking about this and realized that you are launching AUM while the communication to Loopy Pro isn’t working. This might mean that something AUM does wakes things up.

It would be worth checking to see what happens if you launch AUM when you first launch loopy pro. In both apps load an instance of a midi monitor (such as streambyter) set to monitor the pedal board.

Make a note of the time.

Work in loopy pro. When the pedalboard stops working, make a note of the time and press a button on the pedalboard whose midi you know.

Switch to AUM. Do you see that last midi event? If you press pedalboard buttons now that you have switched to AUM, do you see them showing up in Streambyter?

If the events aren’t showing up in streambyter. Save the AUM configuration, force quit AUM, reopen the AUM doc. Does the pedalboard in AUM work?

• Video evidence of my issues.