Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Web based Sample Slicing Utility

Been following this thread for a couple weeks on the Elektronauts site and thought I’d share it here since a few of us are into samples. It’s a web based Sample utility to create Sample Slices for the Digitakt and OT but can be used for any sampler that can slice.

Here’s the link to the site:

https://digichain.brianbar.net/

And here’s the link to the thread on the Elektronauts site:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/digichain-web-app-for-making-sample-chains/191074

Comments

• I’ve been following this one as well, it’s brilliant! Works offline on the iPad too if you save it to the Home Screen 👍

• It blows my mind how good it is.

• edited April 2023

Thanks @echoopera that's really helpful! I've just loaded it on each of my devices, iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro. All working so easily. Even a newbie like me can work out what's going on. This is going to be so handy for me. :)

• @FordTimeLord said:
    I’ve been following this one as well, it’s brilliant! Works offline on the iPad too if you save it to the Home Screen 👍

That's pretty cool!

• Many thanks for the share here! I've written up a feature list so far and a bit of a preamble on usage, and will get some more instructional stuff written up as soon as I can - but hopefully, it's fairly clear what to do.

https://brianbar.net/2023/04/05/digichain-v1-3-0/

• @brian3kb said:
    Many thanks for the share here! I've written up a feature list so far and a bit of a preamble on usage, and will get some more instructional stuff written up as soon as I can - but hopefully, it's fairly clear what to do.

That's really helpful, thanks Brian, I'm loving your creation, I really appreciate your efforts to bring this into the world. Have a great Easter weekend!

• @brian3kb said:
    Many thanks for the share here! I've written up a feature list so far and a bit of a preamble on usage, and will get some more instructional stuff written up as soon as I can - but hopefully, it's fairly clear what to do.

Thanks for such a handy tool. It’s brilliant having this on my iPad!

• Looks like he put up a manual of sorts as well:

• @echoopera said:
    Looks like he put up a manual of sorts as well:

Yes, I'm finding it so useful. What a treasure you have found and shared today @echoopera!

• Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

• thanks for sharing

• Here's a neat trick, if you use Atlas drum sampler. With Atlas standalone, you can drag samples right from Atlas to this to generate sample chains.

• @FordTimeLord said:
    I’ve been following this one as well, it’s brilliant! Works offline on the iPad too if you save it to the Home Screen 👍

How do you do that? That’s really cool.

• @HotStrange said:

@FordTimeLord said:

You can find the option in the share sheet. “Add to Home Screen”

• @mistercharlie said:

@HotStrange said:

@FordTimeLord said:

You can find the option in the share sheet. “Add to Home Screen”

Oh duh 🤦🏻‍♂️ thanks!

• @auxmux said:
    Here's a neat trick, if you use Atlas drum sampler. With Atlas standalone, you can drag samples right from Atlas to this to generate sample chains.

Yes, the drag and drop was one of the things I spent the most effort on - I do this with XO too; Also fun to try is dragging links to wav files on the web into the list - if the source site allows cross-origin resource sharing, then DigiChain will be able to grab it directly without you needing to download the sample first, a source of sounds I find really useful that supports this is CitizenDJ https://citizen-dj.labs.loc.gov/

Drag and drop also works great on iPadOS with the Files app open side-by-side with DigiChain.

• edited May 2023

v1.4.0 has been pushed to main :)

And is the largest update so far with all the OP-1 Field and Octatrack goodies live. I'm working on some short videos to cover specific use-cases as there's a lot that can be done now beyond just creating Digitakt sample chains.

• Workflow to support reading slices from and creating chains for the Teenage Engineering OP-1 Field / OP-Z

• OP-1 / OP-1 Field / OP-Z aif file imports, mono and stereo.
      • Slice from OP-1 / OP-1 Field / OP-Z drum-kit aif files.
      • OP-1 Field and OP-Z drum kit and single file exports with the aif 44.1/16 mono/stereo options.
      • OP-1 Field L/R A/B toggle and value setting from the list when in 44.1/16 Stereo Aif context. (double-click to toggle).
      • Slice from tape.json (OP-1 Field tape file slice markers) in the slice panel.
      • Merge All Selected action - mixes down all the selected items into one sample (enables creating files with different samples on the L/R for use with OP-1 Field's A/B drum kit option.
    • Automatic creation of Octatrack .ot meta files in 44.1 16/24 stereo non-aif audio contexts. (toggle in settings).

• Audio editor panel overhaul.

• Added 1x, 2x, 4x zoom levels for the waveform.
      • Added loop playback button to editor panel.
      • Fade in/out/silence tools.
    • UI Improvements

• Added playback indicator icon and play-head marker to waveforms in the list view.
      • Shift+Click on the row sample select box will select all the samples in-between (inclusive of the highlighted and the clicked sample). Ctrl+Shift+Click will de-select.
      • Shift+Click Column Header : Sorts the list, but will keep the selected items grouped to the top of the list.
      • Shift+Click Reset Button : Randomizes the order of the list.
      • Numeric keys 1 - 0 play the first 10 selected samples from the list.
      • Alt + numeric key / P key stops the playback and looping of that single sample.
      • Showing the sample name from DC slice data in title of slices on slice panel.
      • Double-click to remove a slice before processing slices on the slice panel.
      • Ctrl+Click the slice sample row icon to clear any related sample slice data.
      • E key opens the edit panel for the currently highlighted sample. Shift+E opens the editor panel for the currently highlighted sample, with the file name and path inputs editable, and the filename input keyboard focused.
      • Basic note detection from filename for sorting the list.
      • Reworked layout for better rendering on smaller screen devices.
      • Added a light theme for users who don't like dark themes, toggled in the settings panel (first launch will set from the devices system color preference).
      • Custom filenames panel, add a list of custom filenames to use - once all names have been used, DigiChain will fall back to the default naming convention.
    • Settings on the settings panel are saved to local-storage and will persist when the app re-opens.

• Allow disabling slice embed in settings.
      • Option to play pop-markers at the start and end of the sample for direct sampling to the Digitakt audio inputs. Two options, 0db markers (which prevents the DT's auto normalization from changing the recorded sample volume), and peak, which sets the pop-marker volumes to match the loudest peak in the sample.
      • Show/hide touch modifier buttons in options panel.
      • Restore last used sample rate/bit depth/channel selection in options.
      • Option to normalize text/waveform color contrast in the settings panel.
    • DC slice format embedded in output chain wav file so user can restore the chains to slices retaining the input filename.

• Support for importing webm and m4a audio files.
    • Added 'Difference (Side)' stereo -> mono processing option.
    • Trim All Selected action.
    • Reverse All Selected action.
    • Normalize All Selected action.
    • Pitch Up by an Octave All Selected action.
    • Enabled 32bit float wav exports.
    • Allow importing of 16bit aif files (parser written to accomodate importing from TE devices, but should be ok on other exported aif files, testing with Ableton Live exports and worked as expected, ymmv).
    • Split chained files at 12s (mono) or 20s (stereo) lengths mode. Sample order will loosely follow the list order, but it will try to fit smaller samples into the chain up to the max limit from further down the selected items in the list, so some samples may be out of order depending on their length and where they could be slotted into each chain to use up the time in the best way possible.
    • Removing arraybuffers before removal of files to help free memory usage sooner.
    • Ctrl+Click on the max length per chain in seconds to set a custom limit.

• Bugfixes

• Fixed bug where file path changes were not persisted.
      • Prevent pitch-up crashing when doubling a very small audio buffer.
      • Checking for suspended audio-context and resuming if suspended before playback.
      • Checking audio context state before importing files, resuming if possible.
      • Fixed bug where joining chains together with single additional sample between caused the slice offsets to be incorrect.
      • Removing multiple and sorts will stop sample playback (audioCtx caused pops when in these situations previously).
      • Fixed bug where a non-standard wav file PAD chunk caused a page crash.
      • Adding a _n char/number to the end of duplicated files name (as exporting to zip overwrites same filename files).
        Importing the same file will also increment the filename.

• Fixed bug where resampling a new chain with a global pitch modifier and embed slices disabled would cause the new pitched audio buffer to fail rendering.

• Fixed bug in the reading of AIFC aif files.
      • Don't mute samples when toggling selection.
  • Wow, that’s a huge update. Nice work!

• Great update @brian3kb!

• Dope, thanks

• This is ridiculously good

• Super cool! Thanks for sharing.. 🙏

• A small update to v1.4.1 has gone out to fix a few bugs, add a truncate selected action to batch shorten samples (shift+click to set a custom length), changed the start/end waveform selection on the edit panel, improved waveform zoom, added a crop to selection operation.

And to fulfill some requirements for addition to the Microsoft Store https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NJQM7GM9KV8

https://digichain.brianbar.net/

• v1.4.2 is now live

• Hold shift key while dragging in samples to import randomly up to the currently chosen grid-size.
    • Default to limit the number of imported samples to 750, to reduce risk of timeouts - can be disabled in the settings panel.
    • Limiting the max chain length to 64 slices when using the timed chain length in non-aif audio context, Aif context stays at max 24 slices.
    • Setting the default Shift import random drop value to 256 if no slice grid value is selected (this prevents accidental import of large numbers of files, Ctrl+click a slice-grid number and set a custom value to import more than 256 samples randomly).
    • Ctrl + Click on the Selected header text will toggle all the samples selection to all selected / all de-selected.

Lots of happy accidents to be had choosing 64 on the grid, then dropping in thousands of samples while holding the shift key down to only import a random selection of 64 samples - you can then use the selected actions button to truncate them all (hold shift while clicking truncate to set your own sample max length, try 0.1 to get small snippets of the audio to join into the chain), normalize and then build the chain.

• Hey, this is awesome, thanks for this! Is there a way to download it, I don't have internet in my studio. Thanks!

• At the moment it's a web app, so requires internet access just once to get cached by the browser, then it will continue to work offline without an internet connection.

You can also grab the distribution from github and serve it locally, but it does require a current version of a web browser as it uses some quite recent web APIs that are not available in older browser versions.

• edited June 2023

@brian3kb said:
    At the moment it's a web app, so requires internet access just once to get cached by the browser, then it will continue to work offline without an internet connection.

That is very cool! Thanks for your reply !

• Just pushed up v.1.4.4 update to the main URL:

• Minimizes reported click/pops on exported chains when importing wav files of differing sample rate to the target sample rate, or when using audio interfaces configured with small sample buffers. On by default at a 40% threshold, user configurable thresholds and can be disabled via settings panel.
    • Added fuzz selected actions action to add fuzz/noise into the selected samples.
    • Added fade-in fade-out selected actions to fade in/out the first/last 256 samples of each selected sample.
    • Blend panel to blend/interpolate between the selected samples (works best when the samples are similar in duration).

Details, screenshots, and audio samples over on the Elektronauts thread.

• Updated to v1.4.6 which adds support for slices that can be read on the M8.

• Convert chains between evenly spaced and unspaced chains from the slice panel. Works with DC, Octatrack, and OP-x slice data. When converted to a spaced chain, if the grid-size is set to a value, the new chain will be padded to this number.
    • Ctrl+Click to preview slices before slicing a sample.
    • Slice editing on sample edit panel, create/update/remove slice markers.
    • Playback/looped playback on the sample edit panel follows the selected region on the waveform.
    • Show stereo waveform if available on sample edit panel.
    • Update the row waveform when changing the mono rendering method.
    • Moved around the edit panel UI.
    • Added LRSD controls to the edit panel.
    • Remembering slice position/selection when changing options on edit panel.
    • Edit panel LRSD / play/stop keyboard shortcuts on edit panel.
    • Allow generating .ot metadata file on 16/24 44.1 mono exports.
    • Option in settings to match the end sample with the start sample (if possible), to help reduce clicks for samples that will be played looped. (can result in shorter than specified samples).
    • Read/write wav file cue point markers into DigiChain slice data (adds compatibility for DirtyWave M8 to read chains, and to import the slices from M8 to DigiChain).
    • Added basic sample stretching (which does affect pitch), stretch selected samples to shortest or longest sample in the list, or hold shift to set a custom length in seconds. (this will remove any slice data for the modified samples).
  • @brian3kb said:
    Updated to v1.4.6 which adds support for slices that can be read on the M8.

• Convert chains between evenly spaced and unspaced chains from the slice panel. Works with DC, Octatrack, and OP-x slice data. When converted to a spaced chain, if the grid-size is set to a value, the new chain will be padded to this number.
    • Ctrl+Click to preview slices before slicing a sample.
    • Slice editing on sample edit panel, create/update/remove slice markers.
    • Playback/looped playback on the sample edit panel follows the selected region on the waveform.
    • Show stereo waveform if available on sample edit panel.
    • Update the row waveform when changing the mono rendering method.
    • Moved around the edit panel UI.
    • Added LRSD controls to the edit panel.
    • Remembering slice position/selection when changing options on edit panel.
    • Edit panel LRSD / play/stop keyboard shortcuts on edit panel.
    • Allow generating .ot metadata file on 16/24 44.1 mono exports.
    • Option in settings to match the end sample with the start sample (if possible), to help reduce clicks for samples that will be played looped. (can result in shorter than specified samples).
    • Read/write wav file cue point markers into DigiChain slice data (adds compatibility for DirtyWave M8 to read chains, and to import the slices from M8 to DigiChain).
    • Added basic sample stretching (which does affect pitch), stretch selected samples to shortest or longest sample in the list, or hold shift to set a custom length in seconds. (this will remove any slice data for the modified samples).

Cool, thanks! I’ll give it a try later.