Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording live OP-Z into iPhone or iPad

edited March 2023 in Other

My replacement OP-Z arrives on Thursday.

I'd like to record some live playing on it done out at the beach, in the back of the car/van on the clifftop, or in the woods.

I may just play the built in synth and/or samples I create and import, or I may use it to sequence something on the iPhone or iPad.

If I'm working remotely, off-grid, what interface do I need to record the audio in any of these combinations/scenarios?

I can provide power via a battery pack if necessary, but I'm happy if it's not needed too.

I don't yet have any audio interface, but I'm thinking of getting one of the Arturia Minifuse series for home use.

I'm not sure what app I would record into, but depending on the scenario, it could be AUM or Garageband. Again, I'm open to suggestions.

At home I would have use of my laptop and Ableton, which I am currently learning.

Any other things I need to be aware of?

Comments

• Doesn’t it show up as an audio interface on your iPad when connected via usb-c or with the camera connection kit?

• Yeah, a USB-C cable is all you need. It will show up as a 2+2 audio interface, and you can just record its stereo output.

• Usually I just go USB-C to lightening on the iphone, and use Audioshare to record the results. You'll likely need to select the OP-Z in Audioshare's input options first, but that's about it.

• Well this is all good news. 😊 Thanks all!

• edited March 2023

I just reordered my third OP-Z, after the second one also turned out to have faults (two keys/lights not functioning). It took ages to get my refund, so I've just reordered, and it will be with me on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed for me that this one is a good one guys, otherwise, I will not buy a fourth one, I'll go for something else off my wishlist. But fingers crossed…

I'll order a USB-C to USB-C and USB-C to Lightning cable for it next.

And it's my birthday! So although I don't have it on my birthday, I managed to order it on my birthday. 😊

• @andowrites said:
    I just reordered my third OP-Z, after the second one also turned out to have faults (two keys/lights not functioning). It took ages to get my refund, so I've just reordered, and it will be with me on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed for me that this one is a good one guys, otherwise, I will not buy a fourth one, I'll go for something else off my wishlist. But fingers crossed…

And it's my birthday! So although I don't have it on my birthday, I managed to order it on my birthday. 😊

Happy birthday to you! 🙂

• Happy Birthday, and commiserations about all the trouble you're having with these!

• @Tarekith said:
    Happy Birthday, and commiserations about all the trouble you're having with these!

Thanks!

I can but hope. It's encouraging at least, that I clicked with the second one. It must have something going for it, that I'm not giving up lightly!

• @andowrites said:

@Tarekith said:
    Happy Birthday, and commiserations about all the trouble you're having with these!

Thanks!

I can but hope. It's encouraging at least, that I clicked with the second one. It must have something going for it, that I'm not giving up lightly!

Perseverance usually pays in the end.
    Is that a common fault in Teenage Engineering's OP-Z?

• @rs2000 said:

@andowrites said:

@Tarekith said:

Thanks!

Perseverance usually pays in the end.
    Is that a common fault in Teenage Engineering's OP-Z?

I don't know. But I'll celebrate if I get a good one.

• I would suggest a USB-A to USB-C cable with an Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter - works great with an OP-Z…
    You can use any DAW and record audio and/or midi - and it syncs well.
    You can also use Bluetooth midi, I enjoy using that with Gadget - and if you get the line module you can just use a simple stereo cable from iPhone (or iPad) to the OP-Z…
    Lots of fun to be had 👍

• Not a USB-C to lightning cable for my iPhone? Mifi approved.

USB-C to USB-C for my iPad.

• USB-C to USB-C for iPad is fine. I tried a USB-C to Lightning cable that didn’t work, you may have better luck….

• Apple’s USB-C Lightning cable apparently works with the OP-1 f, so it’s worth a try if you already have one.

• @andowrites said:

Reordered my third OP-Z due to faults with the previous two. Hoping this one is good. Will get USB-C cables for it. It's my birthday, and I managed to order it on my birthday. Looking forward to my birthday gift! 😊