Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there anything like Loopy Pro for desktop?

A simple question.

Or is there anything under development?

Or do I need to use LoopyPro with my desktop DAW? (Ableton Live 11).

Comments

• @andowrites said:
    A simple question.

Loopy Pro for Mac is in development, fwiw.

• @espiegel123 said:

@andowrites said:
    A simple question.

Loopy Pro for Mac is in development, fwiw.

Now that's good news!

• And it is excellent.

• @mistercharlie said:
    And it is excellent.

:smile:

• Logic Pro X has a lot of overlap

• @u0421793 said:
    Logic Pro X has a lot of overlap

Ah, okay. That's not going to fit my budget right now…

• What are you finding you can’t do with Ableton?

• @el_bo said:
    What are you finding you can’t do with Ableton?

So much. I'm new to the world of DAWs on desktop. I previously used Garageband, but the solely AUM on iOS.

Plus, I'm having a lot of issues with Ableton. Tech support are working on it with a group of us, but frequent crashes and flashing graphics leave me jumping between Live 11 and BitWig while this is resolved (it's a slow process). Until then, I'm seeking a DAW agnostic solution.

• @andowrites said:

@u0421793 said:

Well when that day comes, see this video:
    Live Loops

Don’t think of it as ultimately unaffordable – it’s fairly common for LPX owners once they’ve been at it a while to exclaim sentiments along the lines of “wow, I get all that – for just this!?!”

• @andowrites said:

@el_bo said:

So much. I'm new to the world of DAWs on desktop. I previously used Garageband, but the solely AUM on iOS.

Plus, I'm having a lot of issues with Ableton. Tech support are working on it with a group of us, but frequent crashes and flashing graphics leave me jumping between Live 11 and BitWig while this is resolved (it's a slow process). Until then, I'm seeking a DAW agnostic solution.

Gotcha! But looping is also available in Bitwig and Garageband (Which you seem to already own). Not trying to argue you out of buying LP or any other software of course. Just wondering if you'd found these options were lacking for what you wanted.

• @u0421793 said:

@andowrites said:

@u0421793 said:

Live Loops

Don’t think of it as ultimately unaffordable – it’s fairly common for LPX owners once they’ve been at it a while to exclaim sentiments along the lines of “wow, I get all that – for just this!?!”

Hands-down the best value DAW out there, imo. Comes in at the price of what the included 'Alchemy' might currently sell for, while offering huge amounts more. Not to mention that an initial $200 in 2014 has given over 9 years of free updates :)

• @el_bo said:

@u0421793 said:

@andowrites said:

@u0421793 said:

Live Loops

Hands-down the best value DAW out there, imo. Comes in at the price of what the included 'Alchemy' might currently sell for, while offering huge amounts more. Not to mention that an initial $200 in 2014 has given over 9 years of free updates :)

Agreed and I would not be surprised at all if we get another 10 years for 'free' but the hardware and system requirements for new versions will likely go up...

I got Logic way, way back then the iPad DAWs started popping up and I forgot Logic for a while only to realize later on that everything I missed in iPad DAWs I already had in Logic... (I went back all-in when the Sampler and QuickSampler updates were introduced).

2023 is gonna be a fun year and I look forward to WWDC'23 to see in what direction iPadOS is going...

• @Samu said:

@el_bo said:

@u0421793 said:

@andowrites said:

@u0421793 said:

Live Loops

Agreed and I would not be surprised at all if we get another 10 years for 'free' but the hardware and system requirements for new versions will likely go up...

I got Logic way, way back then the iPad DAWs started popping up and I forgot Logic for a while only to realize later on that everything I missed in iPad DAWs I already had in Logic... (I went back all-in when the Sampler and QuickSampler updates were introduced).

2023 is gonna be a fun year and I look forward to WWDC'23 to see in what direction iPadOS is going...

Haha! I've been on Logic since version 5 (PC). it came on a CD that, I believe, fell off the back of a truck ;) When I decided to start going 'legit', I bought a Macbook, with a shiny new boxed version of Logic 7...and the rest is history. Upgraded to 8, then 9 and 10 was the last paid upgrade. That 10 years use has, to an almost complete extent, offset the so-called 'Apple Tax' on hardware.

As for another 10 free years? I'm a bit more skeptical. I'm of the opinion that full-point releases (The next being 11) will be paid. But who knows...you might be right. Either way, I wouldn't begrudge it.

Kinda insane that a base-level Mac Mini M2 and Logic comes in at circa $800. or most people, that's enough to make all the music most would ever want.

• @el_bo said:

As for another 10 free years? I'm a bit more skeptical. I'm of the opinion that full-point releases (The next being 11) will be paid. But who knows...you might be right. Either way, I wouldn't begrudge it.

Kinda insane that a base-level Mac Mini M2 and Logic comes in at circa $800. or most people, that's enough to make all the music most would ever want.

We never know, maybe it'll go to 11 and finally run on all Apple platforms including the iPad :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

@el_bo said:

We never know, maybe it'll go to 11 and finally run on all Apple platforms including the iPad :sunglasses:

Perhaps it's just my day to disagree with you, but I don't think Logic's ever coming to iPad ;)

• @el_bo said:

Perhaps it's just my day to disagree with you, but I don't think Logic's ever coming to iPad ;)

Perfectly ok, but I sure would love to see something major happening in the iDAW area...
    ...I mean you know record, non-destructive warping and slicing, sampling bounce thru effects.

But then again I can just treat my iPad as a 'sound module' and stick to Logic on my Mac...

• @Samu said:

@el_bo said:

Perfectly ok, but I sure would love to see something major happening in the iDAW area...
    ...I mean you know record, non-destructive warping and slicing, sampling bounce thru effects.

But then again I can just treat my iPad as a 'sound module' and stick to Logic on my Mac...

At one point I would've liked LPX on iOS. But having tried a few mobile DAW, I just don't think it'd the joyful experience most think. Cubasis is a good litmus-test for how a full-blown desktop DAW might work out on such a tiny hands-on (literally) workspace. And personally, I already found the experience to be claustrophobic and annoying.

I find a 28" HD monitor bare minimum of interacting with Logic. All those menus and icons/buttons just aren't gonna fly on a 10.5" screen, Which is what the majority will own. More than that, Logic without keyboard-shortcuts is a proper PITA. Introducing a QWERTY might be a solution, but presents inherent ergonomic compromises/difficulties.

Besides, all the features you're interested could theoretically be added to any DAW, without having the rest of Logic coming along for the ride.

When I got this latest iPad, my computer was on its last legs. I really started out looking to use it as my be-all music-machine, at least for a couple of years. That situation changed, and managed to get a new computer and have made more music in a matter of months than in years previously. And now I'm actually really glad for the hard delineation between 'studio'' computer and iPad 'playground'. It's not that full productions can't be made in iOS, but I find I have a completely different mindset when I'm just with iPad and pencil. I'd imagine it's somewhat similar to when people speak of how interacting with hardware music setups taps into a completely different aspect of creation, and affords different results.

And of course, it's not a "Never the twain shall meet". Like you have it, there are ways of combining both worlds ;)

• @u0421793 said:

Perfectly put. I went through this exact scenario myself. So much so that, while I don't think other DAWs are necessarily overpriced in themselves, the value proposition of LPX simply prevents me from even taking a serious look at them as alternatives.

• @u0421793 said:

@andowrites said:

@u0421793 said:

Live Loops

Thank you. One for the longer term wishlist.

• @andowrites said:

@u0421793 said:

@andowrites said:

@u0421793 said:

Live Loops

Thank you. One for the longer term wishlist.

Actually, I looked again. I thought Logic Pro was more expensive. It's showing as £199 here in the UK. Is this correct?

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/logic-pro-x/id634148309?mt=12

Or is there a higher version I need, and am missing? Do let me know.

Because if it's £199, it's a pretty good deal compared to Ableton or BitWig. If it's more, I need to know how much more.

I might download the 90 day trial of Logic Pro, as my Ableton trial expires in less than 20 days now, and otherwise, the version I own is Live 11 Intro, so I will lose functionality. Plus, Ableton has been really buggy for me so far, which has been a great disappointment, as I generally rather like it, other than that, and the pricing. I've tried the BitWig demo, but it's still not clicking with me.

I began on Mac in GarageBand, and I see elements of that in Logic Pro, so it could make a great transition for me.

Hmm… time to put on my thinking cap…

• Logic Pro is Garageband on the proverbial 'Steroids'!

Worth taking the demo for a spin, and some great free course can be had on Youtube. (Will find some links, if you're interested)

And yes..that is the full price :)

• The only thing i'd say is that it's perhaps not as focused as say Bitwig, as a sound-design, modulation playground. not that music made in BW could not be made in Logic. But Logic, despite the new sequencer and loops stuff, still has a more linear vibe in its foundation. Super powerful, though...and very fexible.

• @el_bo said:

@andowrites said:

@el_bo said:

Gotcha! But looping is also available in Bitwig and Garageband (Which you seem to already own). Not trying to argue you out of buying LP or any other software of course. Just wondering if you'd found these options were lacking for what you wanted.

Looping isn't available in GarageBand on the Mac. Only on GarageBand iOS. On iOS it's amazingly good. Not a replacement for something like Loopy Pro, but really good. Almost good enough to get me past my inexplicable inability to get myself to use GarageBand for more than 10 minutes every six months or so.

• @wim said:

@el_bo said:

@andowrites said:

@el_bo said:

Looping isn't available in GarageBand on the Mac. Only on GarageBand iOS. On iOS it's amazingly good. Not a replacement for something like Loopy Pro, but really good. Almost good enough to get me past my inexplicable inability to get myself to use GarageBand for more than 10 minutes every six months or so.

Ah, interesting! I skipped GB on OSX, 'cause I already had Logic. Just assumed GB on desktop and iOS had feature parity.

GB on iOS is so frustrating! Great instruments, and the looping section is tops. But not even basic automation just seems like one restriction too far :(

• @el_bo said:
    The only thing i'd say is that it's perhaps not as focused as say Bitwig, as a sound-design, modulation playground. not that music made in BW could not be made in Logic. But Logic, despite the new sequencer and loops stuff, still has a more linear vibe in its foundation. Super powerful, though...and very fexible.

Ah, that's important to know, as sound design is a part of my developing process, so is worth bearing in mind.

Lots for me to consider. I've just had such a disappointing experience with Ableton, when I really loved it to begin with. They're currently trying to build a machine to generate the issues I and a handful of others are experiencing.

• edited March 2023

@andowrites said:
    Ah, that's important to know, as sound design is a part of my developing process, so is worth bearing in mind.

It's nothing that can't be done in Logic. It's just having the modulation system built into the framework is a lot more convenient. I think t's a good 'side hustle' for a more traditional DAW like Logic, Reaper etc. in the same way as Ableton used to be used as a secondary DAW for many folk.

Been tempted to add Bitwig, but as much as I like the feature-list (Also quite into the idea of docked effects), i find the workspace to be extremely cluttered and claustrophobic. But I'm also trying to not spread myself too thin when it comes to learning this stuff. Deep-diving BW would be such a waste for me, at this point in time.

Quite strange you've been having such woes with 'Live'. I'd imagined it was really stable, given its use in live situations.

• @andowrites it might be worth looking at Zenbeats which is also loop matrix + arrangement view similar hybrid
    to Ableton, Bitwig , Logic - cross platform IOS , MacOs, Windows .
    used to be free trial month , if not a month’s subscription is worth the fee to investigate .

you can load auv3 midifx sequencers & audio apps into the tracks as a host , similar to AUM to get things going within the apps , then record the midi or audio to loops in “LoopBuilder” view or linear Arrangement.

• edited March 2023

@andowrites said:

@el_bo said:

That sounds really weird . Nothing like my experiences in the past with Ableton Live running on maybe 30 different machines and Windows plus recently also MacOS versions.

I wouldn't give up on Ableton yet, and if you have issues with Ableton then who knows which issues your machine and/or OS will have with other DAWs?

• @RetroNewb said:
    @andowrites it might be worth looking at Zenbeats which is also loop matrix + arrangement view similar hybrid
    to Ableton, Bitwig , Logic - cross platform IOS , MacOs, Windows .
    used to be free trial month , if not a month’s subscription is worth the fee to investigate .

you can load auv3 midifx sequencers & audio apps into the tracks as a host , similar to AUM to get things going within the apps , then record the midi or audio to loops in “LoopBuilder” view or linear Arrangement.

Good call. I never think of Zenbeats when I think about the Mac. It is there though and a nice experience on iOS.

• Didn’t know Zenbeats was also on desktop.

Interesting!