Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - The Mediator's Heart (Orchestral Music Created in Nanostudio 2)

edited March 2023 in Creations

So this is my piece for the ABC Collective "Metropolis". ( @GeoTony @Krupa I'm going to get the unmastered version uploaded to DropBox in a bit.)

In this piece, I made use of Krupa's "Tubes of Metropolis" pack for one of the pads and the lead. :) Just sublime work on those sounds my friend.

I used Mellotron sounds from Module Pro for the choir and high string ostinato. (Even though the Mellotron was about 40-50 years after Metropolis was released, the sounds in the right context have a haunting quality.) And I kind of cheated and used a simple sawwave with chorus effect for the bassline, lol.

The Hip-Hop drums were from https://www.tsunamiaudio.com/products/infinity-kit , the orchestral drum hits were from https://www.dharmaworldwide.com/product/sounds-of-kshmr-vol-4/ .

I initially got stuck in the original version of this track as I was trying to force myself to be creative during a creative slump. Then I produced this beat yesterday in Gadget...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/54779/jwm-beat-031823a-early-2000s-hiphop-created-100-in-gadget-polished-in-aum#latest

...and that rekindled my musical creativity enough for me to restart "The Mediator's Heart". I scrapped the original version but kept the chord progression and melody.

As always, comments are appreciated. Cheers and enjoy.

Comments

• Great track @jwmmakerofmusic . I’ve not listened to it in the context of the film yet but just the audio stands up well so that bodes well 😊

• love the width in the bass and the driving percussive drums. Looking forward to seeing it in the context of the film too.

• @GeoTony said:
    Great track @jwmmakerofmusic . I’ve not listened to it in the context of the film yet but just the audio stands up well so that bodes well 😊

Thanks mate. :) That means a lot to me. @Krupa told me I didn't have to match the music to what's going on in the film exactly. That was actually my main mistake during my first go with the piece, trying to force my creativity, trying to painstakingly match everything to what I was seeing. The music was rubbish, lol. I scrapped it while keeping the main melody and chord progression.

This morning, once Krupa told me I didn't have to match things on screen, I rewatched my portion and started trying to go by feeling and emotion rather than what was on screen. Tried to do the "Daft Punk Tron" thing by using "acoustic" KAPro orchestral instruments paired with synths, but then I thought "sure I want it to sound epic, but also haunting and subdued", and "acoustic" orchestral sounds weren't really that subdued (my subjective opinion). So I replaced the KAPro Strings and Choir with the Mellotron equivalents in Module, and voila! (Even then, the choir was a bit too forward, so I slapped on Wires LOL).

@belldu said:
    love the width in the bass and the driving percussive drums. Looking forward to seeing it in the context of the film too.

Thank you so much mate. :) That means a lot. I can't wait to see how this piece will pair with the film as well. I'm excited!

• Yeah this is lovely stuff, even without playing it along with the visual I know it matches the mood of the scene, especially the emotional switch… great work mate, I’m glad you went back into it with fresh vigour!

• Out of tune is good.

• Sweet as, nice one ;)

• @Krupa said:
    Yeah this is lovely stuff, even without playing it along with the visual I know it matches the mood of the scene, especially the emotional switch… great work mate, I’m glad you went back into it with fresh vigour!

Thank you so much mate. :) It's funny, I put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into the first iteration, only for it to be rubbish. 😆 I mean, the melody and chord prog came easy to me within 5 minutes, but it was everything else that kept choking me up for over a month, from trying to nail the Hip-Hop beat, to trying to anal-retentively time everything to the visuals.

The day before yesterday, when I wanted to pull out and let someone else take my spot, I did notate out the melody and chord prog in my Kindle Scribe just in case I wanted to repurpose the idea in a different production. Too good not to use.

Then yesterday morning after your pep talk, I rewatched my section of "Metropolis", and suddenly I cooked up a new version in under 2 hours without a struggle. 🤣

Riddle me this fam. How and why does my brain work the way it does? Is it a musician thing? My neurodiversities? I have no clue. 🤷 I'm just glad I got it done and made something cool. Now, back to screwing around in Gadget for me. :mrgreen:

@LinearLineman said:
    Out of tune is good.

😎 I mean, out-of-tune isn't good when you're performing piano in public. You want those strings tightened at 440Hz equal temperament. But when it comes to electronica, sometimes in-tune is just too stale. Relisten (because I know you probably have listened many times in the past) to the Bladerunner soundtrack. It seemed to my ears that Vangelis didn't have everything in tune at 440Hz, and that's one element that gave the soundtrack its vibe.

@Kewe_Esse said:
    Sweet as, nice one ;)

Thanks mate. 🫶