Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Creating ambient textures using field recordings, drums, and glitch

I'm looking for something to create glitch then process to create textures. For iOS and desktop.

I barely know where to begin, as I've steered clear of anything resembling glitch, drums, or percussion for the longest time.

I'd appreciate some suggestions for apps, plugins, and processing please.

For meditative ambient, and dark ambient.

Comments

• edited March 2023

I'm thinking some of the Unfiltered Audio apps might help here in the processing department.

But I'm a little lost as to where to start. Maybe to bring field recordings into some kind of glitch app/plugin (I ask for both, as I like to move between iPhone, iPad, and laptop as seamlessly as possible in my creative process). Maybe to find some glitchy drums and percussion sources that I can bring in. For example, something from Fractal Bits. I've also been wondering about SeekBeats (with its randomiser) as an initial source, or some kind of AI drums, such as Emergent Drums (I don't know any others). As I'm looking to create textures, I don't want to start studying beats and rhythms.

I'm thinking I could post process with stuff like UA Silo, and layered tape effects, and dusty textures over the initial material.

I'm looking forward to the conversation around this. It's an interesting experiment I'm about to dive into. I'm on retreat and working most of today, so I have little time to begin until tonight.

I intend this to be a background layer in ambient pieces.

• I did some field recordings of the drips of snow melting from the trees in the woods nearby last week. I’ve been trying various resonator type effects and filter pinging techniques as a way to use them in the way you describe. I’m not quite getting there yet but I think more time and experimentation will eventually yield results…

• You might like Skiiid for glitchy percussive sounds.

VolBot is a good effect for anything in that "glitchy + ambient" category of sounds. You can achieve a similar effect in Drambo, using S&H LFO --> Slew limiter --> Gain module.

WOV by K-Devices is somewhat similar to VolBot.

Actually, every K-Devices app would probably be useful for the type of sound you're describing. Especially Magma.

You could try running Fractal Bits into a delay set to a few milliseconds, and then run that through Blue Mangoo's Attack Softener, to achieve some interesting jackhammer-esque pad sounds. Here's a video I made demonstrating this effect:

PaulXStretch is good for turning anything into a texture.

Infinitum Delayrium's "Reson" preset is a really interesting effect that fits well with "dark ambient" vibes. Warm and comforting, yet cold and metallic.

Velvet Machine is one of my favorite reverbs for ambient stuff.

And yes, Unfiltered Audio's apps should definitely be useful for this type of music.

You mentioned Emergent Drums, which is a desktop plugin. If you have Arturia's software bundle, there's a soundbank called "Industrial Fractals" that you might like.

• Ruismaker noir with fast attack and short decay times can get you into nice glitchy territory. The forthcoming Glitchscaper app from Igor Vasiliev will be up your street. And yeah, maybe just using a Sampler with a bunch of foley sounds loaded etc and triggered by a sequencer with some randomisation options. As mentioned, various gating effects like wov and others are useful too

• Someone else mentioned Skiiid but that’s a great one. Also any of the Scaper apps. Also Glitchcore.

I’ve also found sequencing apps like Koala and Chomplr to be good for getting some glitchiness going. Especially with a sequencer like Autony.

• There’s a new version of replicant coming soon. Version 2 is already really good for instant autechre style stuff

• edited March 2023

Glitch: UA Silo, very special and worth the investment 🙏🏻
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id6444164740

Texture: PaulXStretch, free and absolutely amazing for creating ambient textures 🙌🏽
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1619014008

• edited March 2023

Glitch and Texture: Oh and on desktop, but definitely not free: Portal and Movement by Output 😍

Both are available, rent to own, on Splice and Movement is currently on sale at Plugin Boutique, $100 off for $49:
    https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/2352

• @Krupa said:
    I did some field recordings of the drips of snow melting from the trees in the woods nearby last week. I’ve been trying various resonator type effects and filter pinging techniques as a way to use them in the way you describe. I’m not quite getting there yet but I think more time and experimentation will eventually yield results…

I've been looking longingly at the Wingie 2 resonator (hardware), as I loved what that did to sounds. But I haven't found anything in the apps and plugins world that does something similar. I need to find a resonator sounds a good plan.

Any resonator apps or plugins that any of you know of?

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    Glitch and Texture: Oh and on desktop, but definitely not free: Portal and Movement by Output 😍

Both are available, rent to own, on Splice and Movement is currently on sale at Plugin Boutique, $100 off for $49:
    https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/2352

Oh goodness. Portal has long been high on my wishlist, awaiting the moment to strike! I hadn't noticed Movement, I shall take a look.

As you say, most definitely not free. I keep checking Knobcloud in the hope of finding Portal there, but so far, no luck.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

Texture: PaulXStretch, free and absolutely amazing for creating ambient textures 🙌🏽

PaulXStretch, always features in my process along the way. I'd be interested to know where in the effects chain of processes people are using it. Early, or late? I always have used it before adding effects, but now wondering what I might discover with a little more experimenting.

It seems my tiny ambient studio is about to become a tiny ambient lab!

• Oops and as far field recordings, look no further than:
    FieldScaper
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1006624104

And SpaceFields
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1596872812

Both are magical 🤯

• @andowrites said:

@Krupa said:
    I did some field recordings of the drips of snow melting from the trees in the woods nearby last week. I’ve been trying various resonator type effects and filter pinging techniques as a way to use them in the way you describe. I’m not quite getting there yet but I think more time and experimentation will eventually yield results…

I've been looking longingly at the Wingie 2 resonator (hardware), as I loved what that did to sounds. But I haven't found anything in the apps and plugins world that does something similar. I need to find a resonator sounds a good plan.

Me too with the wingie, though someone mentioned this app has largely replaced it for them…

https://apps.apple.com/app/id6444891127

I need to try again my Ableton experiment on the iPad when I get a chance, a a I think that AUM routing is a bit more flexible/easy to understand to play the tones…

• @Krupa said:

@andowrites said:

@Krupa said:

Me too with the wingie, though someone mentioned this app has largely replaced it for them…

I need to try again my Ableton experiment on the iPad when I get a chance, a a I think that AUM routing is a bit more flexible/easy to understand to play the tones…

Ooh, I'll take a look. I'd missed that one.

• edited March 2023

@andowrites said:

@Krupa said:

Wingie is such a cool device!
    After watching the demo video, I have to say SpaceFields can do what you’re looking for 🤩

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@andowrites said:

@Krupa said:

Wingie is such a cool device!
    After watching the demo video, I have to say SpaceFields can do what you’re looking for 🤩

Now this one I have, but I haven't had chance to dig into it, due to illness lately. Now starting to see the light of day again, I shall explore.

• @Krupa said:

@andowrites said:

@Krupa said:

Ooooh, thank you 🙏🏻

• edited March 2023

@Skyblazer said:
    You might like Skiiid for glitchy percussive sounds.

VolBot is a good effect for anything in that "glitchy + ambient" category of sounds. You can achieve a similar effect in Drambo, using S&H LFO --> Slew limiter --> Gain module.

WOV by K-Devices is somewhat similar to VolBot.

Actually, every K-Devices app would probably be useful for the type of sound you're describing. Especially Magma.

You could try running Fractal Bits into a delay set to a few milliseconds, and then run that through Blue Mangoo's Attack Softener, to achieve some interesting jackhammer-esque pad sounds. Here's a video I made demonstrating this effect:

PaulXStretch is good for turning anything into a texture.

Infinitum Delayrium's "Reson" preset is a really interesting effect that fits well with "dark ambient" vibes. Warm and comforting, yet cold and metallic.

Velvet Machine is one of my favorite reverbs for ambient stuff.

And yes, Unfiltered Audio's apps should definitely be useful for this type of music.

You mentioned Emergent Drums, which is a desktop plugin. If you have Arturia's software bundle, there's a soundbank called "Industrial Fractals" that you might like.

The video is really interesting. I love Attack Softener. I haven't used it in this way before though. Something for the experiment for sure.

Which Arturia bundle? The V Collection? I have Analog Lab V, but not V Collection, although the current deal has been tempting me…

• I'm quite enjoying making textures out of ambient recordings using SpaceCraft, PaulXStretch and an app I'm beta testing but can't yet talk about.
    SpaceCraft has proven to be my granular sound mangler achieving the smoothest sounds out of short sound events. The app I'm testing that is going to be released soon and sounds even better ;)

• edited March 2023

@rs2000 said:
    I'm quite enjoying making textures out of ambient recordings using SpaceCraft, PaulXStretch and an app I'm beta testing but can't yet talk about.
    SpaceCraft has proven to be my granular sound mangler achieving the smoothest sounds out of short sound events. The app I'm testing that is going to be released soon and sounds even better ;)

I love SpaceCraft for this on iOS too. I just wish I could afford it for my laptop too. I've been running the demo of it, and loving it as a part of my processing in Ableton.

I look forward to hearing about the release of the app that you're testing!

• @Krupa said:

What resonator effects have you been trying? I've been trying to find some resonator apps and plugins to choose from. One or two have been mentioned here for iOS today, which is a great help. I love the sounds that come out of the Wingie 2 hardware resonator.

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    Oops and as far field recordings, look no further than:
    FieldScaper
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1006624104

And SpaceFields

Both are magical 🤯

I have SpaceFields, but haven't had chance to dig into it yet. FieldScaper, I have and love.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

Silo I have also, and just got it the plugin on sale today, to go with my iOS version.

• @sevenape said:
    There’s a new version of replicant coming soon. Version 2 is already really good for instant autechre style stuff

I'll take a look at Replicant 2.

• @Gavinski said:
    Ruismaker noir with fast attack and short decay times can get you into nice glitchy territory. The forthcoming Glitchscaper app from Igor Vasiliev will be up your street. And yeah, maybe just using a Sampler with a bunch of foley sounds loaded etc and triggered by a sequencer with some randomisation options. As mentioned, various gating effects like wov and others are useful too

Glitchscaper sounds of interest. I saw something on it here earlier today for the first time.

That tip about randomisation and a sequencer with samples sounds interesting. Maybe something I can explore if I ever get an OP-Z that doesn't have to be returned! What apps or plugins would work in this way? Maybe Strokes?

• @andowrites said:

@Krupa said:

What resonator effects have you been trying? I've been trying to find some resonator apps and plugins to choose from. One or two have been mentioned here for iOS today, which is a great help. I love the sounds that come out of the Wingie 2 hardware resonator.

Re: Resonators: Sorry I don't remember, do you own Drambo?

• edited March 2023

Don't rule out working directly with audio, either. Throwing stuff through glitch effects, granulators etc. can be great in and of themselves, but also useful to create fodder for further manipulation. But ultimately, rolling up yer sleeves and grabbing your scissors tool etc. will give you more control.

These are some more extreme examples, but they offer a window into the types of possibilities that editing offers:

Here're some good examples of how to start (Some done in Logic, but the ideas/concepts are DAW-agnostic):

That last vide os from Mr.Bill. Again i know it's not the genre you're after. But it's a great way to understand glitch. The playlist it's included in has more tutorials. He also offers courses to make power-users of Abletoneers ;)

• Oh, FieldScaper is brilliant for mangling things, my favourite thing is to put asmr speaking into it and create weird ghostly whisperings

• @sevenape said:
    Oh, FieldScaper is brilliant for mangling things, my favourite thing is to put asmr speaking into it and create weird ghostly whisperings

So many roads leading to that app, recently ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@andowrites said:

@Krupa said:

Re: Resonators: Sorry I don't remember, do you own Drambo?

I have it, but haven't dared venture into it yet! Is there a resonator for Drambo?