Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using old iPhone as a sample repository?

Currently using a 64-gig iPad, which obviously has very little in the way of free space when apps are loaded. So I thought it might be worthwhile putting an old iPhone 7 to use. It has 256gig of space, give or take, so it would be very useful. Unfortunately it has the audio chip issue that plagued that model, and so is no longer used as a phone.

Wondering what the best workflow would be.

My thoughts seem to leaning towards using either Airdrop or Telegram to transfer samples. Airdrop would be ideal, but don’t think it supports folder transfer. Sending files by Telegram is an option, but a bit of faffing needed to connect both the iP7 and iPad9 to a third phone via Hotspot.
Are there any easier, more robust options?

Originally thought AudioShare might be the best option to preview files on the iP7, before transferring what I need. However, also thought about 'Sample Crate as it has the advantage of being able to make kits to export. I currently don't own the app, though, so not sure if there're any stumbling-blocks to this idea.

There's also the possibility of connecting an old external (spinning) drive to the iPad. While this is the simpler option, I lose the ability to plunder, curate and make kits at times when I wouldn't normally have the iPad. I also lose the ability to do pre-processing work on files before sending them over to clutter the iPad.

Any ideas how best to proceed?

Comments

• I would think it would be ten times easier to just get a Samsung T7 and connect that to the iPad if you need more storage.

• @el_bo : in some os versions most folders are air droppable.

• @el_bo said:
    Currently using a 64-gig iPad, which obviously has very little in the way of free space when apps are loaded. So I thought it might be worthwhile putting an old iPhone 7 to use. It has 256gig of space, give or take, so it would be very useful. Unfortunately it has the audio chip issue that plagued that model, and so is no longer used as a phone.

My thoughts seem to leaning towards using either Airdrop or Telegram to transfer samples. Airdrop would be ideal, but don’t think it supports folder transfer. Sending files by Telegram is an option, but a bit of faffing needed to connect both the iP7 and iPad9 to a third phone via Hotspot.

Originally thought AudioShare might be the best option to preview files on the iP7, before transferring what I need. However, also thought about 'Sample Crate as it has the advantage of being able to make kits to export. I currently don't own the app, though, so not sure if there're any stumbling-blocks to this idea.

There's also the possibility of connecting an old external (spinning) drive to the iPad. While this is the simpler option, I lose the ability to plunder, curate and make kits at times when I wouldn't normally have the iPad. I also lose the ability to do pre-processing work on files before sending them over to clutter the iPad.

I started using LanDrop https://landrop.app for a similar purpose. You will have to zip folders, but LanDrop even works cross platform (iOS, Android, Lin, Win, Mac).

• @Tarekith said:
    I would think it would be ten times easier to just get a Samsung T7 and connect that to the iPad if you need more storage.

Thanks! If i go that route, I can't buy a new drive. I'd either have to go with a 500G spinning drive (Still fairly portable) or a 128G thumb-drive. It's doable, but as I said, it means I always have to be using the iPad at the time. In the case of the iPhone option, I could go out for a walk, take the phone, and just spend time digging for samples. To give an example, i will be duplicating my Native Instruments Battery and Maschine drums WAVs onto this space, so i can use for mobile production. Making new kits for Beatmaker, from those samples, is something that could be useful to do while away from the iPad.

I suppose what I'm more getting at is whether Sample Crate or some other option would be better to do that part of the process.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @el_bo : in some os versions most folders are air droppable.

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks!

• @catherder said:

@el_bo said:

I started using LanDrop https://landrop.app for a similar purpose. You will have to zip folders, but LanDrop even works cross platform (iOS, Android, Lin, Win, Mac).

Thanks! But given that I'm totally Apple (Computer, phone & Tablet) does this offer anything that Airdrop doesn't?

• @el_bo said:

@catherder said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks! But given that I'm totally Apple (Computer, phone & Tablet) does this offer anything that Airdrop doesn't?

Sorry, cannot answer this. I only use iOS as main music mobile OS, all the rest is Linux and Android.

• @catherder said:

@el_bo said:

@catherder said:

@el_bo said:

Sorry, cannot answer this. I only use iOS as main music mobile OS, all the rest is Linux and Android.

Ah, gotcha! Definitely seems right for your needs. Thanks :)

• edited March 2023

Is there any way of searching and retrieving from the old phone via the iPad?

• One good use for me is Korg Gadget with Stockholm and a whole bunch of REX files. Synced over Ableton Link, this is an endless resource of all kinds of rhythmic content, not unlike Audiomodern Loopmix.

• @el_bo said:

There are some apps that allow file sharing via webdav. You would have to move files into a directory that app has access to. I think Documents by Readdle can do this.

• With that technique, you run the app on your phone and use a browser on the iPad to pull over files from the phone.

• @rs2000 said:
    One good use for me is Korg Gadget with Stockholm and a whole bunch of REX files. Synced over Ableton Link, this is an endless resource of all kinds of rhythmic content, not unlike Audiomodern Loopmix.

Thanks!

This isn't quite what I'm imagining for this particular use, although i have thought of trying to incorporate it into my setup in a 'live performance' capacity. The biggest problem is that de to the audio problem on the iPhone, BT is the only way to get sound out...and that comes with all the expected latency issues :(

• edited March 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@el_bo said:

There are some apps that allow file sharing via webdav. You would have to move files into a directory that app has access to. I think Documents by Readdle can do this.

Thanks!

This seems to be the pertinent page:

https://readdle.com/documents/how-to-sync-files

However, this seems to be along the same lines as Airdrop (albeit "ON STEROIDS!!"). It still seems to need sending from one to the other, as opposed to using it like an external drive and searching from the iPad itself. If i could do that somehow, i get to benefit from both use-cases I mentioned :)

• @espiegel123 said:
    With that technique, you run the app on your phone and use a browser on the iPad to pull over files from the phone.

Ah, so maybe I got it wrong. it can be plundered from the iPad? But by browser, I'm guessing you mean web-browser and not BM3's native browser? In other words (And I'm sure I already know the answer), is there no way of in-app browsers seeing the iPhone as one of it's destinations?

• @el_bo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks!

This seems to be the pertinent page:

https://readdle.com/documents/how-to-sync-files

However, this seems to be along the same lines as Airdrop (albeit "ON STEROIDS!!"). It still seems to need sending from one to the other, as opposed to using it like an external drive and searching from the iPad itself. If i could do that somehow, i get to benefit from both use-cases I mentioned :)

I don’t there is a way to use the iPhone directly as external storage as you would an external drive.

• @el_bo said:

@espiegel123 said:
    With that technique, you run the app on your phone and use a browser on the iPad to pull over files from the phone.

Ah, so maybe I got it wrong. it can be plundered from the iPad? But by browser, I'm guessing you mean web-browser and not BM3's native browser? In other words (And I'm sure I already know the answer), is there no way of in-app browsers seeing the iPhone as one of it's destinations?

Not that I know of. Yes, I meant web browser.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I don’t there is a way to use the iPhone directly as external storage as you would an external drive.
    Not that I know of. Yes, I meant web browser.

Thanks! I knew it was a long-shot.

Would be nice to have a swanky new external drive, like @Tarekith suggested, but the funds aren't there. I have about 5 unused external 2.5 drives, however. Maybe the solution is to have all my audio files on one of those, to use as a normal external but use the iPad as a more active hard-drive as mentioned.

Do you have any experience with 'Crate Digger' or alternative apps?