Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

R.I.P. Jim Gordon

edited March 2023 in Other

Influential rock drummer of the 1960s and 70s who played with George Harrison and Eric Clapton and on a string of great records.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/17/jim-gordon-obituary

Comments

• Rather a sordid tale…was not aware of his non-musical activities.

• Damn… my contemporaries are dropping at a steady clip.

• @McD said:
    Damn… my contemporaries are dropping at a steady clip.

Yeah, we are of that age group. Our 60s and 70s icons are pretty old now.

• edited March 2023

Another life is Break. Amen

• He also played on all but one track on Pretzel Logic.

• He was pretty prolific for a while, especially in the late 60s and early 70s, and his name comes up all over the musical map.

I didn’t realize he was still in prison; for some reason I thought he had been released.

RIP

• edited March 2023

Good obit in NYT if you can read it. Contains more about the Piano Exit "contribution" to Layla.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/17/arts/music/jim-gordon-dead.html?smid=url-share

Musical credits:

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/jim-gordon/credits/

• @mojozart said:
    Good obit in NYT if you can read it. Contains more about the Piano Exit "contribution" to Layla.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/17/arts/music/jim-gordon-dead.html?smid=url-share

Musical credits:

I don't subscribe so I can't read the NYT article. Do they mention the Layla coda was a song he previously wrote with Rita Coolidge, but failed to tell that bit to Eric Clapton?
    Or that he violently beat his mother to death then blamed her, saying "she wanted to be killed"?

I don't believe the man is resting peacefully. Bye Jim.

• @abf said:

I don't subscribe so I can't read the NYT article. Do they mention the Layla coda was a song he previously wrote with Rita Coolidge, but failed to tell that bit to Eric Clapton?
    Or that he violently beat his mother to death then blamed her, saying "she wanted to be killed"?

Your statements are not 100% correct.
    The man was diagnosed schizophrenic, and was hearing “voices” inside his head. He said that the voice of her mother in his head told him to kill her, not that “she wanted to be killed”.
    And in facts, he was sentenced to 16 years in 1984, so he could be released already from 2000. But, probably feeling guilty and knowing he was ill, he stopped going to his parole hearings. That’s why he was still in prison now in 2023.
    In any case I think people here are discussing his musical career, not the person per se. Being the author of the most famous drum break of all history (Amen Break tells something?) his contribution to the musical scene is undeniable.
    But on one thing you are right: I doubt he is resting in peace, having had a troubled life even when he was alive

• @LostInFoundation said:
    Being the author of the most famous drum break of all history (Amen Break tells something?) his contribution to the musical scene is undeniable.

Wasn't Amen Break played by Gregory Coleman?

• @abf said:

@mojozart said:

Musical credits:

If you clear your internet browser cache, history, ect. and then visit NYT, you will be able to read two or three full articles before having to repeat the above.

• @Simon said:

@LostInFoundation said:
    Being the author of the most famous drum break of all history (Amen Break tells something?) his contribution to the musical scene is undeniable.

Wasn't Amen Break played by Gregory Coleman?

Wow…you’re right! I just checked…and in facts Jim Gordon just played in The Incredible Bongo Band’s Apache…30 years I’m convinced of the wrong thing…if we only had a so developed internet to check informations back in those days…
    So…even my joke “another life is break. Amen” has no sense…lol
    In any case I said “just played in Apache”, but even this is a big accomplishment

• @LostInFoundation said:
    Your statements are not 100% correct.
    The man was diagnosed schizophrenic, and was hearing “voices” inside his head. He said that the voice of her mother in his head told him to kill her, not that “she wanted to be killed”.

A quote from a 1985 interview in Rolling Stone Jim Gordon said, about beating his mother to death with a hammer, “I wanted to stay away from her. I had no choice. It was so matter-of-fact, like I was being guided like a zombie. She wanted me to kill her, and good riddance to her.”

• edited March 2023

@abf said:
    A quote from a 1985 interview in Rolling Stone Jim Gordon said, about beating his mother to death with a hammer, “I wanted to stay away from her. I had no choice. It was so matter-of-fact, like I was being guided like a zombie. She wanted me to kill her, and good riddance to her.”

I take your words. Today I’ve been already proven wrong on a thing I thought I knew for 30 years, so…I could be wrong even on my own name. Maybe I am Aristotele and I don’t even know it 😂
    In any case, the “voices in his head” thing is confirmed even by the article you are citing, which starts exactly like this:
    “ SHE WANTED HIM to kill her. The voices — her voice — had said so. It was her voice that helped him pick out the eight-and-a-quarter-inch butcher’s knife, and had him sharpen it. And he would do what the voices told him to do because he always listened to them, even though they had ruined his life.”
    And surely he had a troubled life and probably a troubled death too

• edited March 2023

@abf said:

That sounds like a mentally ill person.

The way the quote is written you might think he is matter-of-fact about killing her.

I suspect what he was saying is he knew there was a problem and tried to stay away from her but was unable to due to his illness. The illness made him think that she wanted him to kill her and when he did it the illness made him just think "good riddance".

It is a bad transcription - it is probably word for word what he said but it doesn't explain what he meant. Poor reporting.

• He WAS a mentally ill person…diagnosed schizophrenic

• edited March 2023

@LostInFoundation said:
    He WAS a mentally ill person…diagnosed schizophrenic

Yes, I know.

What I was saying is that the quote above made him sound more like a cold blooded killer than someone who was mentally ill. I think the transcription didn't tell the full story.

• edited March 2023

@Simon said:

@LostInFoundation said:
    He WAS a mentally ill person…diagnosed schizophrenic

Yes, I know.

What I was saying is that the quote above made him sound more like a cold blooded killer than someone who was mentally ill. I think the transcription didn't tell the full story.

Yes, the quote out of context is misleading.

I have a friend and a brother-in-law who were diagnosed as schizophrenic and don’t take medication consistently. Both of them exhibit behavior that is extremely irrational, and they are both totally unwilling to take anyone’s advice or criticisms when they are off their meds.

Despite the horrific crime committed, we should reserve some pity for Jim Gordon as well as his mother.

I think it would make for a better thread if we focus on his musical accomplishments.