Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Caustic

Hey guys, I just thought i’d share that I downloaded ios 16.1.1 and all of Caustics presets disappeared. I blew it out and re-downloaded it but that changed nothing.

Comments

• I can not be of any help but, not updated in 8 years! might be a clue. I had never heard of it, so I had to check :) Hope you get it sorted though.

• I know it hasn’t been updated in a long time but it’s such a great app that i’ve been holding out hope they might facelift it.

• That's a major bummer. Caustic is always one of the first apps to go on any device I get, anywhere. I've paid for the full version and all the expansions on all different platforms.

@Pxlhg said:
    I can not be of any help but, not updated in 8 years! might be a clue. I had never heard of it, so I had to check :) Hope you get it sorted though.

Aye, but in that 8 years it's retained a fan base nearly as large if not as large as it did when it was actively being updated. It's got undeniable charm and deceptively simple, old-school looking graphics but the tracks that it can pump out are pretty amazing.

• @BITCRUSHER said:
    Hey guys, I just thought i’d share that I downloaded ios 16.1.1 and all of Caustics presets disappeared. I blew it out and re-downloaded it but that changed nothing.

That's a shame. It was Caustic (on Android) that first got me into mobile music creation back in 2012.
    The only thing I can suggest is to drop into the Single Cell Software forum and see if anyone else knows what's going on... Although the forum is pretty quiet these days :'(

• edited March 2023

That's really odd
    Have you tried connecting to a PC and using something like iFunbox to see if you can navigate to the folders?
    Gonna try and find out here and search for clues

• edited March 2023

I installed it recently on Android without a hitch.
    Here is a zip of my presets folder for you to populate yours with:
    https://we.tl/t-WUUlUYvzhL
    Tag me in to a reply to let me know if it works.

• Another reason never to update to 16.x

• @fornax55 said:
    deceptively simple, old-school looking graphics

On that note, highly recommend the Jupiter and Echo skins
    Damn, they are sexy (posted images, but check the video promo below)

I use them on iOS, Android and PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=e_JsBrTC50c

• @FPC said:

@BITCRUSHER said:

That's a shame. It was Caustic (on Android) that first got me into mobile music creation back in 2012.
    The only thing I can suggest is to drop into the Single Cell Software forum and see if anyone else knows what's going on... Although the forum is pretty quiet these days :'(

Exactly the same situation for me - my first mobile track (on Caustic for Android) was in December 2012, soon after I got an Asus Nexus 7 and I've been obsessed with 'mobile' music making ever since! (I made a Sci-Fi skin for Caustic that was quite popular at the time!)

• Caustic was my go to sketch pad until Ableton Note came out.

I am on 16.3.1 and have all my presets.

Documents by Readdle can be used to access Caustic’s file system via it’s (Caustic’s) built in FTP server. You might try that to see what’s going on.

• @senhorlampada said:

@fornax55 said:
    deceptively simple, old-school looking graphics

On that note, highly recommend the Jupiter and Echo skins
    Damn, they are sexy (posted images, but check the video promo below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=e_JsBrTC50c

Do you have any advice on how to install these? The instructions are not helping.

• @Ailerom said:
    Do you have any advice on how to install these? The instructions are not helping.

I have to do a double check on that on iOS
    Installed it some years ago. I recently did it on Android but some things have changed on the file system :lol:
    I did it back then using iTunes (when we where able to access the devices files), but iFunbox will probably work (or use the FTP/WebDAV style access)

It should have the folders Presets / Samples / Skins / Songs
    You then put the skin folder inside the Skins folder
    (Should look something like Skins\Echo)

Then inside Caustic you go to the hamburger menu > click options > and below click Skins and choose your skin. There are some already built-in

• edited March 2023

Guide on installing skins:

• I just installed it on Android. Not sure if this works on iOS:
    Open the settings, then go to the Song tab (was default) and click “Import”. Browse to the file, select it, and it will tell you that the import contains one skin. Now you can choose the skin. You might have to restart Caustic because some fonts may appear as black squares initially.

• edited March 2023

I just installed the echo skin (also Android) and needed to restart. Caustic looks up to date now, thanks @senhorlampada this skin is so much nicer than the default.

• @BITCRUSHER said:

So have others replicated this on other versions of ios 16 including the latest?

• @senhorlampada said:

@Ailerom said:

I have to do a double check on that on iOS
    Installed it some years ago. I recently did it on Android but some things have changed on the file system :lol:
    I did it back then using iTunes (when we where able to access the devices files), but iFunbox will probably work (or use the FTP/WebDAV style access)

It should have the folders Presets / Samples / Skins / Songs
    You then put the skin folder inside the Skins folder
    (Should look something like Skins\Echo)

Then inside Caustic you go to the hamburger menu > click options > and below click Skins and choose your skin. There are some already built-in

Sounds reasonable but I don't have a Caustic folder.

• edited March 2023

Just downloaded Caustic to check on my 11” M1 iPadPro, iPadOS16.3.1…
    (Screenshot is in portrait mode as I find it easier to type that way when still in bed…)

Upon first launch all content is extracted and it asks for permission to access the microphone and local network.

• Anyone got the new skins to work on iOS?

• @Samu said:
    Upon first launch all content is extracted and it asks for permission to access the microphone and local network.

Same here, but still no folder.

• To use the new skins on the Mac version:

• download the skins file.
    • change the file name from "Echo - Jul.4.2019.causticpack" to "Echo - Jul.4.2019.causticpack.zip".
    • unzip the file
    • move the unzipped "Echo" folder to the Caustic folder in your Mac's Documents folder.
    • launch Caustic for Mac
    • select the pref button
    • select skins (bottom left of the screen
  • @Ailerom said:

@Samu said:

Same here, but still no folder.

You won't see a folder on iOS. Caustic has never been updated to expose its folders in the files app.

The it used to work to import files by starting an FTP server in Settings > Tools. I couldn't get that to work when I just tried. It doesn't get an IP address.

Copying the file or folder in by hooking up to a Mac or with iTunes didn't work since the zip file or the folder needs to be in a subfolder and you can't do that.

Caustic doesn't come up as an option in the files app when you try to share the zip file, at least not for me.

I do have a couple of skins that I added at some point, but I don't remember how I did it. Probably with the FTP server, but that's not working anymore - at least not for me. I checked and Caustic does have network permissions.

• @Ailerom - if you've reinstalled and Caustic did ask for network access, you might try starting the FTP server to see what happens. If you get 0.0.0.0 for the IP address then that's the problem I'm having. If you get something different like 192.168.1.70 or something, then you may be able to copy files in using the FTP server.

You will first have to enable background audio in Caustic's advanced settings, then you may be able to access it from another computer or safari, or something like Documents by Readle.

• @senhorlampada said:

How did you install them in iOS?

• Local host (127.0.0.1) should work.

If I recall correctly Caustic did have limited Audioshare support for import and export.

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

@Samu said:
    Local host (127.0.0.1) should work.

Not for me.
    The port (3131) isn't open on the iPad either.

• @Simon said:

@senhorlampada said:

How did you install them in iOS?

Settings/options/skin (click on box). Takes you to caustic forum. You’ll need a user login to go to skinning forum. Download the skin and use ios share menu to open in Caustic. Then load the skin via the options menu.

• Just tried the Echo skin, recommended above. It’s excellent. I’ve been using Jupiter for a long time and that’s also very good indeed. It’s such a shame development stopped on Caustic. I imagine it would be greeted with plenty of enthusiasm if it was newly released now, all these years later.

• edited March 2023

@purpan2 said:
    Just tried the Echo skin, recommended above. It’s excellent. I’ve been using Jupiter for a long time and that’s also very good indeed. It’s such a shame development stopped on Caustic. I imagine it would be greeted with plenty of enthusiasm if it was newly released now, all these years later.

Definitely. I would say an updated UI and at least Ableton Link support, if not complete Midi clock in and out support would be great.
    Or the dev open sources it and it gets a new life as a community supported app.

• @wim said:

@Samu said:
    Local host (127.0.0.1) should work.

Not for me.
    The port (3131) isn't open on the iPad either.

No wonder since it's a non-standard port is used FTP, It's a 'security hole' :sunglasses:
    I guess Webdav wasn't even an option back in the days when Caustic was developed.

Don't remember if Caustic supports background audio, if it doesn't 'everything' stops when it's backgrounded.

Oh well, I don't miss Caustic at all to be totally honest...

Cheers!