Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there a legit way to emulate iOS or something?

I've had my fifth - yes, fifth - iPhone stolen this year. That's 2023, thus far, unfortunately. Usually I buy cheaper models because I'm clumsy and drop them a lot but I've never had so much thievery afflict me so seriously. Especially this last phone I spent a decent chunk of change on so I could ramp up my production and get some work done via my phone while I'm in transit to help pay it off... stolen. Along with my wallet, that time.

With the wallet missing i'm effectively bankrupt and I've been locked out of my account and the $$ I had in it while my bank tries to "figure out" how I keep getting robbed. So to top it off I haven't been able to get groceries for over a week. But this post isn't about problems, sorry (although I did need a good vent), it's about SOLUTIONS!

The main one being... finding a way I can use all my apps without having an actual phone! I'm not holding up high hopes given how hard it is to even sign into apple without having an iphone or i-device handy (just to sign in on my PC now I have to go through a 10-day validation procedure while they confirm my ID) BUT, you never know. During these times I would love nothing more than to relieve the stress of a stolen phone by doodling some tunes on my phone, but the lack of a phone makes that more challenging than entertaining :P

Unfortunately all my old phones are busted and/or in disrepair and probably too old now to utilize most of the apps I'd be wanting to use, otherwise I'd consider just getting a screen reparied on an old iphone 6. Anyone know if they're still viable?

Oh - and I found the answer to an earlier thread that i made when i was asking about iOS-like apps for desktop: the combination of Bitwig with the Reason Rack Plugin. My goodness that's the only thing that's been able to pull sway on me since discovering the iOS ecosystem. Plus since BITWIG CAN OPEN .ALS FILES, it's just as compatible in my current workflow. If you haven't tried Bitwig as a DAW or any of reason's awesome intuitive modules, doooo it.____

Comments

• I think the most obvious solution is to move to a different neighbourhood 🤣

• The short answer is no. You need to have an Apple device to run them.

Hope you get everything figured out soon though, as it sounds like you’ve had a 2023 that no one here would envy.

• You might look for a used iPod touch. Since it looks like a phone it might get stolen anyway though.

• edited March 2023

Fifth? Sorry to ask the question, but what is the main reason for that do you think?

Let's take my sister as an example. She leave in a micro town where everyone knows each other. She can let her doors unlocked without problem. But she's the kind of person to let her phone on the table at a Starbucks (I don't say it's your case, it's just an example) of a big city when she have to go to the bathroom. Her behaviour is the complete opposite of paranoia. But she often "loss" her things. I'm the complete opposite of that.

I once found an iPhone in a Café and I bring it back to the barrista. Maybe I'm naïve but it must be complicated to do something usefull with a locked iPhone. Jailbreak I guess? Can you jailbreak a locked iPhone?

If you don't want to talk about it, I understand but I'm always curious to know more about unusual case like that. Maybe we will all learn something.

I'm not here to judge, just to learn and share ideas.

Best of luck.

• I don’t even know why anyone would want to steal an iPhone. I mean with all the biometrics, FaceID, and strong passwords, aren’t they virtually impossible to get into?

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I don’t even know why anyone would want to steal an iPhone. I mean with all the biometrics, FaceID, and strong passwords, aren’t they virtually impossible to get into?

No

• I remember when there was this mass shooting in California, and the FBI had the iPhone of one of the suspects, and they basically trying to force Apple into unlocking it, when IIRC they had some hired gun hacker figure out the password with some kind of algorithm thing.

@tja said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    I don’t even know why anyone would want to steal an iPhone. I mean with all the biometrics, FaceID, and strong passwords, aren’t they virtually impossible to get into?

No

I mean, I know nothing is 100%, but I’d like to think the average Joe isn’t going to be able unlock my stuff if they “Stole” it.

It’s difficult to get an owner’s data from it (unless they are careless with security), but not that difficult to reset it, or even unlock it to use it with a different carrier.

• I had a backpack stolen from my car some years ago. A lot of the stuff where gone, but my iPad I was able to "recover"
    I used the find my device feature, located who had it. It ends up some random chap bought it cheap from someone.

This other someone could be some crackhead who stole my bag or his dealer :lol:
    tl:dr - Yep, some people may try to sell a locked stolen device

I remember when there was this mass shooting in California, and the FBI had the iPhone of one of the suspects, and they basically trying to force Apple into unlocking it, when IIRC they had some hired gun hacker figure out the password with some kind of algorithm thing.

@tja said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

No

I mean, I know nothing is 100%, but I’d like to think the average Joe isn’t going to be able unlock my stuff if they “Stole” it.

There is a big différence between accessing datas and jailbreaking a phone to make it yours with a reset.

• It’s an article from 4 years ago though, so might not be accurate in 2023.

• Even the cheapest 2nd-hand iPhone, these days, would allow you to get some worthwhile stuff done. Not that it would be thief-proof, but if anyone was prepared to take the risk, the loss would be much less. Try to keep it in a case that makes it just look like some generic smartphone. Might help

• @fornax55 sorry to hear about your troubles.

One cheaper option is Android, it's a lot more limited, but still entirely possible to make music with a half decent handset (I use a midtier Samsung).

• @rollin said:
    @fornax55 sorry to hear about your troubles.

One cheaper option is Android, it's a lot more limited, but still entirely possible to make music with a half decent handset (I use a midtier Samsung).

I think the OP is looking for a way to use existing apps though.

• @el_bo said:
    Even the cheapest 2nd-hand iPhone, these days, would allow you to get some worthwhile stuff done. Not that it would be thief-proof, but if anyone was prepared to take the risk, the loss would be much less. Try to keep it in a case that makes it just look like some generic smartphone. Might help

Really? I was under the impression that AUM didn't work on anything prior to an iPhone 6... although that said I can't imagine trying to work any of these apps on the tiny screens of an iPhone 4 or 5. So I guess I should have mentioned that being my limit, nothing prior to the iPhone 6. Which usually go for around the price I've been paying for whatever I can get, ~80 which is $400 on phones. Which is a lot for someone whose budget necessitates that they're buying bottom-barrel pho > @michael_m said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

It’s difficult to get an owner’s data from it (unless they are careless with security), but not that difficult to reset it, or even unlock it to use it with a different carrier.

Not true anymore (I am around a lot of seedy people... hence the mass phone thefts), nowadays if you try to reset an iPhone you need to sign in with the Apple account that was last used to sign in. Nowadays you can't get past the initial setup unless you sign in with an Apple ID and that's the same that's required to reset it, and if you guess the PIN wrong too many times (i think this setting is default) the phone locks you out.> @Montreal_Music said:

Fifth? Sorry to ask the question, but what is the main reason for that do you think?

Let's take my sister as an example. She leave in a micro town where everyone knows each other. She can let her doors unlocked without problem. But she's the kind of person to let her phone on the table at a Starbucks (I don't say it's your case, it's just an example) of a big city when she have to go to the bathroom. Her behaviour is the complete opposite of paranoia. But she often "loss" her things. I'm the complete opposite of that.

I once found an iPhone in a Café and I bring it back to the barrista. Maybe I'm naïve but it must be complicated to do something usefull with a locked iPhone. Jailbreak I guess? Can you jailbreak a locked iPhone?

If you don't want to talk about it, I understand but I'm always curious to know more about unusual case like that. Maybe we will all learn something.

I'm not here to judge, just to learn and share ideas.

Best of luck.

Yes a good deal of it is my fault and when I'm less salty about it I take a more optimistic viewpoint - I'd rather remain naive and trusting, with good faith in humanity, even if it costs me a few phones here and there, rather than become jaded and bitter like most of the people I've been associating with lately.

People seem to think iPhones are easy to hack into but they aren't. I know a guy in town who can do it and there's a legit wait list of homeless people and drug addicts with stolen phones for him to jailbreak. I am 100% positive my phone is sitting in the backpack of someone in that waiting list but he's also got a confidentiality policy so he's not gonna tell me who brings it in (saves people from going gung-ho and smashing people in the face with tree branches over something that they bought without knowing it was stolen. yes that happened.)

@senhorlampada said:
    I had a backpack stolen from my car some years ago. A lot of the stuff where gone, but my iPad I was able to "recover"
    I used the find my device feature, located who had it. It ends up some random chap bought it cheap from someone.

This other someone could be some crackhead who stole my bag or his dealer :lol:
    tl:dr - Yep, some people may try to sell a locked stolen device

I actually did get pinged from the Find My Device thing once. But I checked the location and it was from one of the crack hotels, which confused me to no end. Because a) obviously it's been bought/sold for drugs, why are they pinging me? b) on the off-chance someone altruistic found the phone (actually i sent it a message saying i'd buy my phone back in exchange for drugs lol), am I supposed to just go to the motel and start banging on all the doors? "Hi there sweaty wide-eyed shirtless fellow, hope ya saw me coming while you were peeking through the blinds there. Y'know you have a peephole, right? Anyway, uh, do have a stolen iPhone? What? Am I a cop? Of course not. What? You have a dozen iPhones? Oh boy..."

• “For less than the cost of a loaf of fresh bread, and some good cheese or roast beef, you can buy a Bluetooth bracelet that will notify you when your phone is left behind, which you will enjoy much more” - Steve Albini