Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

audio to midi converters ios

are there any apps that can take audio, and convert it to midi to be used in another instrument.?
example. beatbox, and have it convert to midi to be used with a drum app
or him a melody and have it convert to midi for a synth app

Comments

• edited July 2020

Fac Envolver can be used as an audio effect converted to midi output, there's limitations in how it works though. It's more like it's triggering midi commands but not converting audio to midi directly.

• edited July 2020

@eross I sing (badly) into an SM57 going into an iPad running ThumbJam. TJ has a audio to midi setting and your input is quantized to the scale selected. You can then use a built in sound or run that midi out to another app or (what I do) run it out to my laptop. It takes awhile to find a sound that works well but once you do it’s like magic. Check out my video at 1:27.

• edited July 2020

These work with guitar input, at least:

Jam Synth
    MIDI Guitar 2
    MIDImorphosis

Of these, MIDI Guitar is the most interoperable, and can even host audio units (IAP)

• @eross said:
    are there any apps that can take audio, and convert it to midi to be used in another instrument.?

For melodies, MIDI Guitar and Thumbjam work quite well but converting your beatboxing mike recordings, that's quite a challenge to be honest.
    I would create a Drambo patch that does the detection and separation (which will obviously have to be adapted to your own beatboxing sounds) but maybe there's a magic app for that which I don't know yet...

• cool tips guys. i always forget about drum jam

• FAC Envolver will convert the audio volume envelope to MIDI CC volume messages, but it doesn't do pitch to MIDI.

Saturn2 can detect transients and envelopes from its side chain, which can be used to control another sound. This should work well with a beatbox.

• @mojozart said:
    FAC Envolver will convert the audio volume envelope to MIDI CC volume messages, but it doesn't do pitch to MIDI.

Saturn2 can detect transients and envelopes from its side chain, which can be used to control another sound. This should work well with a beatbox.

really, so i can detect transients in Saturn, and it will send out midi to another app?

• edited July 2020

@eross said:

@mojozart said:
    FAC Envolver will convert the audio volume envelope to MIDI CC volume messages, but it doesn't do pitch to MIDI.

really, so i can detect transients in Saturn, and it will send out midi to another app?

Most definitely not. Saturn2 is not a MIDI source. I was just saying its triggered envelopes can work well with a beatbox. Speaking of envelope followers...

• @mojozart said:

@eross said:

@mojozart said:

Most definitely not. Saturn2 is not a MIDI source. I was just saying its triggered envelopes can work well with a beatbox. Speaking of envelope followers...

oh cool, still good to know

• @eross said:

MTS (MultiTrackStudio) does this, paste from audio to midi in-app.

• edited July 2020

@Littlewoodg : I’m interested in this functionality too. However, given that the store shows a variety of apps with variations on this name, and I can’t find an explicit statement re audio to midi conversion in the descriptions, can I just confirm you are referring to this particular (rather pricey) app? How has your experience been with this? Thanks! https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/multitrackstudio-for-ipad/id776998585

• Haven’t tried it, but HumBeatz claims to be able to do this and has both beatbox and melody modes.

• edited July 2020

@Svetlovska said:
    @Littlewoodg : I’m interested in this functionality too. However, given that the store shows a variety of apps with variations on this name, and I can’t find an explicit statement re audio to midi conversion in the descriptions, can I just confirm you are referring to this particular (rather pricey) app? How has your experience been with this? Thanks! https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/multitrackstudio-for-ipad/id776998585

That’s the one. It’s a full DAW with many many other features but it does have the feature the OP seeks. MTS is set up to copy/paste from midi to audio as well as audio to midi.

• Midimorphosis has worked for me with live mic input - more for melodic phrases / not beats

• Auditor worked for me for drum replacement. From audio drums to midi. When slicing it also creates a midi file

• edited November 2021

@Littlewoodg said:

@Svetlovska said:

That’s the one. It’s a full DAW with many many other features but it does have the feature the OP seeks. MTS is set up to copy/paste from midi to audio as well as audio to midi.

That’s a really cool feature in MTS. It’s one of those where once you experience the feature it’s obvious that’s how it should work in every DAW ever. Thanks for the tip @Littlewoodg !

• Doesn't one of the cvquencer dude's apps do this?

• @mulletsaison said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Svetlovska said:

That’s a really cool feature in MTS. It’s one of those where once you experience the feature it’s obvious that’s how it should work in every DAW ever. Thanks for the tip @Littlewoodg !

You’re welcome, friend

• edited November 2021

Just chucking in here, I’ve had pretty good results with this AUV3 app, A2M, inside AUM:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/a2m-real-time-audio-to-midi/id1569569145

• The latest MTS update also allows you to add MIDI Guitar 2 or other audio -> MIDI effect to an audio channel and route the MIDI to a MIDI track.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@eross said:

Does this work well?

For example, if I loaded a bass recording in wav format, could I paste it to midi with accurate results?

• @FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@eross said:

Does this work well?

For example, if I loaded a bass recording in wav format, could I paste it to midi with accurate results?

ive used it with piano tracks, and i found it accurate.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@eross said:

Does this work well?

Thank you

• @FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@eross said:

Does this work well?

Thank you

i was printing a track from an artists recording, not a very crisp audio example (heavy reverb) and it was fine. a nice clear bass will be rven more workable

• @Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@eross said:

Does this work well?

Thank you

i was printing a track from an artists recording, not a very crisp audio example (heavy reverb) and it was fine. a nice clear bass will be rven more workable

That’s good to know. I’m gonna have to pull the trigger and go for it. Been looking for decent audio to midi for ages. And many of the other features look great too!

• @FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@eross said:

Does this work well?

Thank you

That’s good to know. I’m gonna have to pull the trigger and go for it. Been looking for decent audio to midi for ages. And many of the other features look great too!

its top tier in my opinion, so many platform exclusive festures, ultra deep ultra stable

• @Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@FesteringMike said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@eross said:

Does this work well?

Thank you

its top tier in my opinion, so many platform exclusive festures, ultra deep ultra stable

Yeah it looks it. I’ve been doing some research and am intrigued for sure

• Bought it. It’s good but also pretty confusing. For example, how the hell do you get the on screen keyboard to move down octaves?!

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Svetlovska said:

Can it accurately translate a sung melody into a monophonic midi line preserving pitchbend, vibrato etc? Anything I've tried so far for this has failed abysmally, would be holy grail territory for me if this does that perfectly!