Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano solo in NS2, various customs patches in audiolayer

edited March 2023 in Creations

This one should be more pleasing to the untrained ear. Less esoteric and chaotic than the 3 I posted this week here, here and here.

lossless 24bit: https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/track/sunrise

I rarely quantize, but on this one I've been HEAVY on the quantize because of the delay in sync.

I'm regrouping here my recent piano solo music:

lossless 24bit on bandcamp

Lossless 24bit audio: https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/track/under-cover

The lossless 24bit audio is in my Bandcamp: https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/track/waking-up-from-a-nightmare

lossless 24bit: https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/track/a-short-explanation

Comments

• That piano is wonderful! I expect you crafted that yourself in AudioLayer.

I’m finding some similar piano sound sets on PianoBook.co.uk that are recorded with a lot of hammer on string sound… really close and with softer articulations.

Can you disclose a little about this piano… if it’s a desktop app I’ll be sorry I asked but still good to know the product too.

• This is quite beautiful, even on these crappy PC speakers. I’m looking forward to listening in my good headphones when I get home tonight.

• edited March 2023

Thank you @McD : For this one I re-recorded samples from the soundpaint Steinway (the other one not the free one), note by note, velocity 33- 66 - 99, then in audiolayer I've been a bit heavy with the EQ with key follow, and added the hammers from the Pleyel I recorded in France a little while ago (only one velocity layer for these)

The first octave is super muddy and resonant, it gets clearer at the 3rd octave, and after the 5th I added more resonance from the Pleyel.

Thanks @Paulieworld, there is a lot going on bellow 150hz. I'm not sure PC speaker can go that low while being faithful to the music. I'm sure mine can't.

• @jo92346 said:
    Thank you @McD : For this one I re-recorded samples from the soundpaint Steinway (the other one not the free one), note by note, velocity 33- 66 - 99, then in audiolayer I've been a bit heavy with the EQ with key follow, and added the hammers from the Pleyel I recorded in France a little while ago (only one velocity layer for these)

The first octave is super muddy and resonant, it gets clearer at the 3rd octave, and after the 5th I added more resonance from the Pleyel.

Good info…

Magic and you’re encouraging me to consider some SoundPaint investment on my MacBook(s). Then consider auto sampling in Logic (I recall the outputs didn’t import to AudioLayer correctly but that’s probable better now). I could do the Mac to iPad AudioLayer too.

• I gave up on the automatic import. there is always something botched in the process. In the end I'm faster doing it all manually as I always did since I started sampling stuff back in... OH FUCK! I'm too old for that shit.

• Dark Lights.

Lossless 24bit: https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/track/dark-lights

Different piano here. I tried to recreate one of Labs cassette piano. That tune is about loss, grief and hopefully seeing the end of the tunnel some day.

• @jo92346 said:
    Cracks in th wall

That was a fun one with a lot of nice surprises along the way. Excellent composition ideas.
    Do you agonize over these pieces of improvise most of them like @LinearLineman. You work is a
    Lot more traditional than his pushing against traditional boundaries of harmony and construction techniques. I think it would be fun to collaborate with you but it would only slow you down. Still… I’d love t see what @jankun might add to one of your pieces that he likes just for the
    Hydrid result.

• edited March 2023

thanks @McD . I say these are improvised, but that 's not in a way most people understand "improvise". The undeveloped idea is already in my head, I need to write it down, then I improvise based on that.

• @jo92346 said:
    thanks @McD . I say these are improvised, but that 's not in a way most people understand "improvise". The undeveloped idea is already in my head, I need to write it down, then I improvise based on that.

I like the extra thought to construction… I tend to listen for the use of repetition and themes in music so having a plan helps
    Provide these types of extra signals. It’s like the difference between free text and something composed with a lot of editing and attention to forms. Surprises seem to have more impact when an expectation is created and then denied in a pleasant way.

• edited March 2023

jason said:

• Which piano brand did you use?
    • is there additional reverb used?
    • where was this recorded? (room size)
    • can you supply raw samples to me for analysis?

ps: I do hear some very fast micro vibrato in these lower strings. However this applies merely if played pianissimo.

the patch I use in Cracks in the wall is made from an upright Pleyel made in the early 20th century, recorded with one AT4050 positioned 3 meters behind me, in a busy living room in an old mansion in Lorraine. Very (very) high ceiling, cracking wood floor, not super large though.
    The piano was poorly tuned, and will never be tuned again due to the damages of time, so I recorded every 4 tones, 4 velocities, with and without the sustain pedal.

Each sample was cleaned, levels made to match the real piano, and I mixed directly on top of the samples the keys from another Pleyel that was broken for that patch. (it puts less strain on my iPad to have the samples cooked before making the audiolayer patch).

EQ is a bit violent because of my mics. I'll have to buy something better some day: From memory: 0 db around 200, going to -5 db at 20, bumping the 500-700 +1db, -2db from 700 to 3k and then I raise to +2db linearly from there to 20k.

The patch uses little of NS2 reverb to paper over the cracks and a slow LFO slightly detunes the notes (better than the phasing I couldn't get rid of)

I'd be happy to send you the raw recording when I'm in France.

• @McD said:

@jo92346 said:

I like the extra thought to construction… I tend to listen for the use of repetition and themes in music so having a plan helps
    Provide these types of extra signals. It’s like the difference between free text and something composed with a lot of editing and attention to forms. Surprises seem to have more impact when an expectation is created and then denied in a pleasant way.

Thank again @McD . feels good when someone notices.

• edited March 2023

Cracks in the walls, with a couple minor correction, and Soundpaint so called Steinway:

Very different mood and this piano can't play properly the last few bars, it can't handle correctly the 16th notes played fortissimo https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/track/cracks-in-the-wall-second-take

• @jo92346 said:
    Thank again @McD . feels good when someone notices.

Really… I haven’t noticed B)

Thankfully we have a place like this to get a little response. I try and look over the creations a category and comment on anything that didn’t get a reply. Sometimes that one response triggers an avalanche of input. I find that if you feed an artist attention they feed you more work.

• Some beautiful work here although as @McD knows from his Staffpad Sketches thread, this type of combined thread tends to get very few views / comments.
    If it’s worth anything my favourites so far are Sunrise and Waking up from a Nightmare.

• Thank you @GeoTony .

just finished to rewrite, update and re-recorded all these pieces and grouped them in a small album: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/54650/piano-series-short-album-release#latest

They all sound better in my opinion, clearer, less muddy, and the rewriting was clearly needed even if sometimes it is just a few notes that I corrected.

• @GeoTony said:
    Some beautiful work here although as @McD knows from his Staffpad Sketches thread, this type of combined thread tends to get very few views / comments.
    If it’s worth anything my favourites so far are Sunrise and Waking up from a Nightmare.

I found that posting all Creations on a theme generates a small but loyal audience. It’s OK that one or more postings
    Go without comment because at some point a “listener” checks in a does a comparative comment.

Yesterday I remembered my responsibility to seek for all Creations with 0 comments and I added 1. This gives
    The creator the right to comment on my comment and more often than not the work gets a fair viewing with valuable
    Feedback.

The best comment IMHO is a question for the creator to read and answer.

• The best comment? As much as a like the nice comments here, I'd very often prefer the listener to tell me what is wrong with my music, especially when I post drafts. I know there is a LOT that is wrong n those drafts, and even the final releases. But by myself, I'm teh worse judge of my work: some mistakes, that went trough my years for hours just go unnoticed. Also my earring is going down slowly. I have no idea what's happening over 15k (give or take) and looking at a curve in the audio analyzer is of not much help...

• edited March 2023

Bad Migraine:

the bandcamp version was updated:
    https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/track/bad-migraine

• edited March 2023

And a very short berceuse:

https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/track/-

The bandcamp version sounds better: different piano and softer sound

• I love the way in these piano pieces e.g. Bad Migraine that you start listening to a section and think Ok I get it and then it lurches off in a direction that totally throws you but then starts to make sense before lurching off again. I also enjoy the touches of Bach which you then apply your magic to 👌

• Thanks @GeoTony . I think I can’t hide my love for Bach.
    All the final version in lossless 48-24 are here: https://josephbalson.bandcamp.com/album/piano-series