Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiothing Reels Released | Spoken Walkthrough & Giveaway (See Pinned YT Comment)

Audiothing Reels Released | Spoken Walkthrough & Giveaway (See Pinned YT Comment):

AppStore Link:

https://apps.apple.com/app/reels-lofi-tape/id1662498557

Intro Price:

$9.99 / €11.99 ends March 31st, 2023. Full price: $19.99 / €23.99

Reels is a tape emulation plugin with built-in echo section and tape start and tape stop effect, available as AUv3 and Standalone.

It's based on an old Japanese portable tape recorder with a very distinct Lo-Fi analog sound. Reels emulates all the imperfections of consumer reel-to-reel recorders.

Size
38.3 MB

Compatibility
iPhone
Requires iOS 12.0 or later.

iPad
Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.

iPod touch
Requires iOS 12.0 or later.

Comments

• edited March 2023

• Speakers and miniBit are the ones I'm mostly interested in from AudioThing.
    But hey, I get it that they are rinding the 'Lo-Fi Wave' with the current releases which doesn't appeal to me at all...

• edited March 2023

Hmm. Seems interesting, but I already have several tape emulator apps including Kai Aras’ RE-1 https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/re-1-tape-machine/id1407764053, which even lets me put my finger on the virtual reels to mess with the playback, so I’ll hang fire for the time being. I’m much more up for their experimental stuff getting the port treatment, like Gong Amp and Alborosie Dub Starion.

• edited March 2023

Agreed. I’ll check back when they get to the more interesting stuff. I haven’t been too impressed with the few mini-fxs they’ve released either, but I would like their rhythm box emulation to have a simple drum machine with a convenient, built-in sequencer. (Seriously, I’m gonna chide all the devs a little bit for their “a sequencer is beyond the scope of this drum app, it’s your DAW’s responsibility” approach, especially when they decide to use their custom MIDI mapping for no apparent reason). Most synths still feature at least a token on-screen keyboard, in comparison.

• To me this looks awesome, can't wait to try it :)

• As always, very cool. So far I have bought all the Audiothing apps, but I think I will skip this one. Chow/Reelbus do the job for me at the moment.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I haven’t been too impressed with the few mini-fxs they’ve released either,

Ditto, Bubbles and Texture stayed on my iPad for a few weeks, after that it's meh, what's the use? They are not 'that' special...
    I thought I'd be using BlindFold EQ more but nah, that'll be gone soon to...

I have an old free limited version of miniBit for desktop from an old CM magazine cover CD and Speakers is way more utilitarian than the rest so that will be something I'll actually use to simulate speakers and microphones.

The older I get the cleaner I want things to be, the 'faked lo-fi' stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, keep it real...

• At exactly the same time as you were posting this @Gavinski , I was putting this up on freecycle:

• I always like this wobbly stuff, so I bought. It has its own vibe.

• @Kashi said:
    At exactly the same time as you were posting this @Gavinski , I was putting this up on freecycle:

Oh, cool!

• @Kashi said:
    At exactly the same time as you were posting this @Gavinski , I was putting this up on freecycle:

Looks lovely, if you were nearby I’d be on your doorstep in a flash!

• Sweeet, I like this one a lot.

@samu I also really hope they plan on releasing minibit, that’s probably my most used synth on desktop and I don’t even make chiptune music.

• I think I have enough apps that make my music sound cruddy and old now.

• @Kashi said:

Oh, cool!

• edited March 2023

@Krupa said:

@Kashi said:

Looks lovely, if you were nearby I’d be on your doorstep in a flash!

It is, and it works, but I have a slightly newer one now, so I'm semi-reluctantly letting this one go.
    Having a really thorough sort-out of my loft (my "studio"), so that it's more conducive to making music.
    I may even post a pic in the "show us your set-up" thread soon.....

• @Gavinski will you be doing a demo video?
    If so I’d like to hear some examples of processing vocals if you don’t mind :*

• @iamspoon said:
    @Gavinski will you be doing a demo video?
    If so I’d like to hear some examples of processing vocals if you don’t mind :*

I am uploading one now, no vocals, just on piano. Don't have time to make a walkthrough with lots of examples today and have a few other vids I want to put out soon

• Each release brings us closer to noises… I am waiting i the shadows biding my time.

• Video is up, with a chance to win 3 Copies of ANY AudioThing iOS app (details in the pinned YT comment):

Please support my work by not watching behind an adblocker, thanks! 🙏

• @sevenape said:
    Each release brings us closer to noises… I am waiting i the shadows biding my time.

Same, looking forward to that one big time!

• So great to see all their great work finally on iOS. Instabuy!!

• edited March 2023

I own Reels on desktop and can confirm that it's mostly useful if a) lo-fi tones are your "thing" and b) you understand it to be an effect, not a master buss candidate. There are a couple presets (like "Baked Tape") that have a unique and stylish smudge - I just did a track with a VU vibe where Reels genuinely carried the White Light/White Heat-esque backing vox, compressing them into a pleasant mid blur - but this isn't an all-rounder. Though it's certainly a great crud machine, and neither Reelbus nor ChowTape can emulate its particular magic, whether you need it in your quiver is debatable. Honestly, I break this baby out maybe twice a year at most. It's not a one-trick pony per se, just limited in its use cases (for my tastes, anyway).

• I do remember the early eighties. I was so keen on to get rid of the pops and clicks on my records or the hiss and other sound quality issues on my compact cassettes.
    And when the compact discs came we were amazed by the sonic experience. My favourite bands sounded crystal clear.
    Now, more than 3 decades later when we are able to make music on our ipads at 192kHz sample rate and 32 bits resolution which far better then the CD's, more and more apps, plugins appear just for degrading the sound quality to the level of the '60s and '70s.

I have absolutely no problem with this, because it has its place in the music. I just thought about how strange it is :)

• @GLacey said:
    I do remember the early eighties. I was so keen on to get rid of the pops and clicks on my records or the hiss and other sound quality issues on my compact cassettes.
    And when the compact discs came we were amazed by the sonic experience. My favourite bands sounded crystal clear.
    Now, more than 3 decades later when we are able to make music on our ipads at 192kHz sample rate and 32 bits resolution which far better then the CD's, more and more apps, plugins appear just for degrading the sound quality to the level of the '60s and '70s.

I have absolutely no problem with this, because it has its place in the music. I just thought about how strange it is :)

It’s funny cos when I’m working with my actual analog gear, it can frustrate me to no end with all the noises and issues that can arise but then I want all the lofi effects I guess cos I can control it versus it just being troubleshooting haha

• The Insta demo is a nice short way to get a bit of the flavour of the app:
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cpk11zojYeT/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I personally prefer it to Wires

• @GLacey said:
    I do remember the early eighties. I was so keen on to get rid of the pops and clicks on my records or the hiss and other sound quality issues on my compact cassettes.

Maybe we needed to get to such high levels of technical audibility in order to really hear the crackles and fuzz properly, as they were meant to be heard 😅

• @Krupa said:

@GLacey said:

Maybe we needed to get to such high levels of technical audibility in order to really hear the crackles and fuzz properly, as they were meant to be heard 😅

Also, to realise that perfection can be just plain boring.

I find it interesting that once the tools progressed to certain point, some artists’ output deteriorated. They could suddenly do what they’d been dreaming of, but lost something important in the process. Prime example being Tangerine Dream. As one of my friends put it: “after Peter Baumann left, it’s all just shiny tunes”. I’d be a little more forgiving of some of their early 80s output, but he has a point. The limitations of the equipment they used to start with forced them to make much more interesting music. NB: your mileage may well vary. I’m not trying to start an argument!

We’ve also now got to a point where much of the music produced is so over-polished it has all the life sucked out of it. So controlled sonic degradation comes to the rescue, injecting much needed grit and texture. Again, YMMV.

• @bygjohn said:

@Krupa said:

@GLacey said:

Also, to realise that perfection can be just plain boring.

I find it interesting that once the tools progressed to certain point, some artists’ output deteriorated. They could suddenly do what they’d been dreaming of, but lost something important in the process. Prime example being Tangerine Dream. As one of my friends put it: “after Peter Baumann left, it’s all just shiny tunes”. I’d be a little more forgiving of some of their early 80s output, but he has a point. The limitations of the equipment they used to start with forced them to make much more interesting music. NB: your mileage may well vary. I’m not trying to start an argument!

We’ve also now got to a point where much of the music produced is so over-polished it has all the life sucked out of it. So controlled sonic degradation comes to the rescue, injecting much needed grit and texture. Again, YMMV.

Yeah totally, I actually had the most fun today in between zoom sessions just playing a Commodore 64 (using its actual keyboard) with a cynthcart into gauss, insanely low quality but so evocative and emotionally resonant…