Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi Profiles

I think I don't understand midi profiles in Loopy Pro and am hoping someone can clue me in. I have read the manual...

Goal:
I'd like to have a hardware controller (Novation Circuit Tracks) trigger various AUv3s in Loopy Pro (Koala, Model D, etc.). For different Loopy Pro projects, I would like different midi bindings mapping the same AUv3s to different midi triggers. For example, in one Loopy Pro project, I might want Midi Channel 3, note C1 to trigger the first sample in Koala. In the next Loopy Pro project, I might want Midi Channel 3, note D1 to trigger the first sample in Koala.

Question:
Can this be accomplished with Loopy Pro midi profiles? What's the best way to map midi controllers to AUv3 within Loopy Pro to ensure that the mapping survives (I often lost my midi mapping when I re-open a Loopy Pro project which is frustrating as mapping is time consuming)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• @GreedySpark said:
    I think I don't understand midi profiles in Loopy Pro and am hoping someone can clue me in. I have read the manual...

Goal:
    I'd like to have a hardware controller (Novation Circuit Tracks) trigger various AUv3s in Loopy Pro (Koala, Model D, etc.). For different Loopy Pro projects, I would like different midi bindings mapping the same AUv3s to different midi triggers. For example, in one Loopy Pro project, I might want Midi Channel 3, note C1 to trigger the first sample in Koala. In the next Loopy Pro project, I might want Midi Channel 3, note D1 to trigger the first sample in Koala.

Question:
    Can this be accomplished with Loopy Pro midi profiles? What's the best way to map midi controllers to AUv3 within Loopy Pro to ensure that the mapping survives (I often lost my midi mapping when I re-open a Loopy Pro project which is frustrating as mapping is time consuming)?

Thanks in advance!

If you store the bindings in the local profile, the bindings stay in the project.

Global profiles are for bindings you want available no matter what project is open.

The easiest way to create bindings is using the midi learn system. You rarely need to use the profile editor.

When you use MIDI Learn, there is a popup that lets you choose whether the binding goes into the local profile or a global.

If bindings ever disappear, please report the issue with as much detail about what led to the issue.

This shouldn’t happen.

• And make sure you save the project after setting up the mapping. The project you re-open is the last version you saved. Remember the motto: Save early and often.

• Is it possible to have it 'the other way around' so upon switching to a another profile you could have differently configured midi data being sent out of the controls?

• @espiegel123 said:

@GreedySpark said:

Goal:

Question:

Thanks in advance!

If you store the bindings in the local profile, the bindings stay in the project.

Global profiles are for bindings you want available no matter what project is open.

The easiest way to create bindings is using the midi learn system. You rarely need to use the profile editor.

When you use MIDI Learn, there is a popup that lets you choose whether the binding goes into the local profile or a global.

If bindings ever disappear, please report the issue with as much detail about what led to the issue.

This shouldn’t happen.

Thanks for the prompt and informative response, as always espiegel. If I understand you correctly, I shouldn't need to manually create midi profiles. A project-specific midi profile is automatically created for each project (as long as I don't select Global in the upper left while I'm doing my mapping). So if I'm mapping hardware midi to an AUv3 within LoopyPro (e.g. Koala, Turnado, Model D, etc.), is it best practice to:

1) Open the AUv3 within Loopy Pro and using the midi mapping functionality of the AUv3 itself?
    2) Open the AUv3 as standalone and do midi mapping from hardware to AUv3 before adding the AUv3 to Loopy Pro?
    3) Create widgets for each binding in Loopy Pro, map midi hardware to Loopy Pro widgets, map Loopy Pro widgets to AUv3?

I'll report back next time my midi bindings are lost. I had a project with a lot of complexity that I was experiencing that with (lost the bindings right before a live performance and had to manually reprogram them at the venue), but am no longer using that project. I want to make sure I follow the safest and simplest approach going forward as i'm building a new project now that will ultimately have some complexity.

• Hi,

Sorry it sounds like you misunderstood my post. I don’t have time to further explain though.

I was not suggesting using the AUv3’s own midi learn. Loopy can midi learn functions of the loaded AUv3s.

You might want to look at the articles in the loopy articles in the wiki. There is at least one that has links showing how to midi learn AU parameters in loopy.

Everything I mentioned was meant to be done in loopy pro itself.

@GreedySpark said:

@espiegel123 said:

@GreedySpark said:

Goal:

Question:

Thanks in advance!

This shouldn’t happen.

Thanks for the prompt and informative response, as always espiegel. If I understand you correctly, I shouldn't need to manually create midi profiles. A project-specific midi profile is automatically created for each project (as long as I don't select Global in the upper left while I'm doing my mapping). So if I'm mapping hardware midi to an AUv3 within LoopyPro (e.g. Koala, Turnado, Model D, etc.), is it best practice to:

1) Open the AUv3 within Loopy Pro and using the midi mapping functionality of the AUv3 itself?
    2) Open the AUv3 as standalone and do midi mapping from hardware to AUv3 before adding the AUv3 to Loopy Pro?
    3) Create widgets for each binding in Loopy Pro, map midi hardware to Loopy Pro widgets, map Loopy Pro widgets to AUv3?

I'll report back next time my midi bindings are lost. I had a project with a lot of complexity that I was experiencing that with (lost the bindings right before a live performance and had to manually reprogram them at the venue), but am no longer using that project. I want to make sure I follow the safest and simplest approach going forward as i'm building a new project now that will ultimately have some complexity.

• @GreedySpark :smile:
    See https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=loopy_pro

You will find some helpful info , including a page with info about using loopy’s midi learn to control AUv3