Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poll about appstore refunds

edited February 2023 in App Development

Relative to the other thread about refunds, let's get some data on how common it is for people to seek and get refunds on apps.

Please read the question carefully. What percentage of apps you bought have you successfully claimed a refund for?

ie. Let's say you bought 100 apps, tried to get a refund on 2, but only got a refund on 1, then your answer would be '1% or less'.

Obviously, unless you go and check your refund history, these will just be guesstimates, but useful nevertheless

What percentage of apps you bought have you successfully claimed a refund for?
  1. None73 votes
    1. 1% or less
      49.32%
    2. 2% or less
      15.07%
    3. 5% or less
        5.48%
    4. 10% or less
        5.48%
    5. 20% or less
        0.00%
    6. 30% or less
        2.74%
    7. 50% or less
        1.37%
    8. All 👻
      15.07%
    9. Other (feel free to comment)
        5.48%

Comments

• Ah jesus, I edited the post not the poll but it still deleted the poll. I'll make a new one, what a pain

• The only app I’ve ever requested a refund for was Fundemantal 2 and it was simply because I didn’t feel inclined to support that dev after things unfolding how they did..

• Never requested a refund, life’s complicated enough…

• Over a decade after purchasing hundreds of apps I believe one I returned.

• jason said:
    @Gavinsky : The next poll should be:

How many 0 star, disastrous reviews did I write in the Appstore over the years out of pure frustration (or other reasons) ?

😏

Feel free to make that poll!

• Other. It's "every time but one".

I live in the EU so if I claim a refund within the appropriate timeframe, I need no further justification, they must refund me. That's the law. And they have always done so (although I hardly ever claim a refund).

The one ridiculous exception is when I mistakenly bought ielectribe (?) for iPhone instead of the iPad version. I immediately noticed my mistake, i did not even download the app, but wrote to Apple within minutes, explaining everything, including me not even having an iPhone. 🙂 That one time I didn't claim the refund as per my EU consumer rights, because I felt it was so clear that it was a genuine mistap.

Well, they refused, even after I asked them to reconsider as per their process, and despite that being the most obviously correct use of a refund claim in my life.

In my eyes, my story demonstrates exactly why we need the EU. And it's also one of the many reasons why I dislike Apple and think they are a giant jerk of a company.

• edited February 2023

I get refunds immediately, like within 10 minutes, if something is below expectations, and I don’t feel guilty about it. I don’t keep the stuff either, because I have no use for crap I don’t jive with.

Now I buy way more than the average person on the App Store, so my percentage is still pretty low cumulatively through the years (5% or less), but I had a lot of refunds last year, 8 or 9 while having my lowest total spending year since 2014 by a mile . I’m just not gonna let $10-$30 apiece go to waste no matter how great of a “deal” it may be. Especially when the refund process takes about 4 taps and 30 seconds tops.

• Refunding is random and there is no explanation given why they refuse to refund. Sometimes they do sometimes not. The process is very simple though.

• @Gavinski wrote:”Relative to the other thread about refunds, let's get some data on how common it is for people to seek and get refunds on apps.”

Voluntary polls like this don’t provide meaningful results. They are subject to sampling bias (often strong bias) and as a result can be pretty skewed.

They can be fun but I wouldn’t consider it meaningful data collection.

• I’ve never refunded any app.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Gavinski wrote:”Relative to the other thread about refunds, let's get some data on how common it is for people to seek and get refunds on apps.”

Voluntary polls like this don’t provide meaningful results. They are subject to sampling bias (often strong bias) and as a result can be pretty skewed.

They can be fun but I wouldn’t consider it meaningful data collection.

Absolutely agree, but also can promote that bias, even when the intention is good.

• Add a 0% option...
    I have never refunded any apps :sunglasses:

I did refund one 'record' way back in early iTunes Music days when the recording was 'corrupted' and full of encoding errors even after multiple downloads. So yeah that left me with pretty sour taste for all things related to Apple Music...

• @Samu said:
    Add a 0% option...

I did refund one 'record' way back in early iTunes Music days when the recording was 'corrupted' and full of encoding errors even after multiple downloads. So yeah that left me with pretty sour taste for all things related to Apple Music...

Could hardly be favourable from the artist’s perspective either.

• @Samu said:
    Add a 0% option...

Oh damn, there was actually a never option in the original poll but I forgot to include it when I had to redo the poll 2nd time round. @espiegel123 for sure any info here must be treated with a huge grain of salt, it’s still interesting to see the answers from people on the forum, I’d argue.

• @Gavinski said:

@Samu said:
    Add a 0% option...

Oh damn, there was actually a never option in the original poll but I forgot to include it when I had to redo the poll 2nd time round. @espiegel123 for sure any info here must be treated with a huge grain of salt, it’s still interesting to see the answers from people on the forum, I’d argue.

I’d argue that the results don’t even give a representation of AB Forum members…just AB Forum members that enjoy these polls.

• I think I’ve only ever asked for a refund once, and that was for a game just flat out didn’t work.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Samu said:
    Add a 0% option...

I’d argue that the results don’t even give a representation of AB Forum members…just AB Forum members that enjoy these polls.

True, true

• It takes a lot to get me to refund anything.

There was only one time I wasn't successful in getting a refund on an IAP - Premier Vintage Organ in Korg Module Pro when it was discontinued and Korg maliciously removed it entirely from Module Pro (this was before they put it back while only allowing those who previously purchased the pack to access it via IAP restore). The reason I was denied a monetary refund? It was past the time window where I could return it successfully, lol. They did give me 10 iTunes music credits though!

The other time went successfully. n-Track Studio. This was a few years ago and they probably improved it tenfold by now. Back then, I purchased the lifetime license for $29.99+tax as I didn't want to subscribe, and n-Track rendered my test project with so many undesireable clicks and artifacts and flaws. (If I wanted to have clicks, artifacts, and flaws, I'd just add my own via Lo-Fi-AF, lol.)

• I've probably sought an average of one refund per year, over the course of about 16 years. Only one of them was bad judgment (The actual desire to refund) on my part. And I've since re-bought the app.

Every iOS app I've ever requested a refund for was granted.

• the AppStore is less than 15yo :D

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    the AppStore is less than 15yo :D

Ah, shit...so it is. I forgot that it was the iTunes Store before that:

First Appstore purchase:

• I have only ever asked for a refund once or maybe twice, and it’s only ever been due to an app not functioning when I first downloaded it.

• Oops I didn't read it carefully. I've never been denied a refund.

• Do we have a clear answer about developers being penalized or not when users get refunds? I had a hard time trying to parse the other thread. Obviously, "penalized" means losing more on the refund than they earned on the original sale.

• I bought an Arturia app that didn't work properly. I requested a refund from Apple an hour later and they ok'd it.

• edited February 2023

Can any dev clear up if apple actually keeps their 15/30% of a refund?

I dont ask for refunds on apps under 20$ unless they flat out dont work, or if your app is one of those 50+$ apps, and you dont offer a FULL UNLIMITED trial. You can expect people to shell out that loot on things w/o trying them 1st to find out it not what they needed in the 1st place.

• I voted 1%. But I've have quite a few rejected that would have changed my vote.

• I've never needed to refund any app so far, and I've accumulated about 300!
    I've always done a bit of research on each app first, watched YT demos and read other user's comments carefully before purchasing. Never been disappointed with a purchase.

• I assume I bought around 100 apps and requested like 3 refunds, all worked besides one - iElectribe by Korg. It was the first app I bought like a 100 years ago on my old 1st gen iPad and bought it again last year. Am I oversharing? It's fine, just 2nd line.

• I’ve never requested a refund, either.

I’ve been disappointed by some purchases, but that’s mostly been down to me not doing my research properly in advance, in which case I generally feel I should take the hit, which is usually not much in any case. And it’s not a common occurrence, to be fair.

Closest I’ve come to doing it was Fundamental2, but again there was nothing wrong with the app itself, just the dev’s attitude. If I’d held off from buying it the minute it was announced I’d have known. Lesson learned.

I did consider it with that dev who turned out to be a hate filled lunatic, but really couldn’t be bothered. Just deleted the apps and moved on. If they’d cost more that might not have been the case, mind.