Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro as a midi source in AUM

LP planned in AUM as a midi source? Today I was sorting out the connection of the iPhone and iPad so that I could play with the LP and hone the visual series on the iPad. But I realized that LP has no way to be a source. Therefore, Visual Synthesizer does not accept message miles. Thanks.

Comments

• @solncekreeze said:
    LP planned in AUM as a midi source? Today I was sorting out the connection of the iPhone and iPad so that I could play with the LP and hone the visual series on the iPad. But I realized that LP has no way to be a source. Therefore, Visual Synthesizer does not accept message miles. Thanks.

I have no idea. You can use it as a midi source indirectly. Loopy as an AU sends MIDI out so that it comes back into the host's virtual midi port. Choose AUM as the target for MIDI you want to send and that MIDI will come in through AUM's midi in port. Not ideal but workable in most cases.

• @espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

I have no idea. You can use it as a midi source indirectly. Loopy as an AU sends MIDI out so that it comes back into the host's virtual midi port. Choose AUM as the target for MIDI you want to send and that MIDI will come in through AUM's midi in port. Not ideal but workable in most cases.

It doesn't work. When the AUM tool is at the top, everything works fine.

• @solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

It doesn't work. When the AUM tool is at the top, everything works fine.

Can you post pictures of how you have it set up when trying to send MIDI from the Loopy AU. Show both the aUM routing and the set up of the widgets in loopy that you are sending midi from

• @solncekreeze : i don't understand how the screenshots you posted relate to what i posted about how to send Midi from Loopy.

In loopy au, choose AUM as the target for the MIDI you want to send.

In AUM, route MIDI from the AUM midi destination to where you want it. The midi loopy sends will be routed through the port labeled AUM Destination at the top of the AUM MIDI routing table.

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

Why are you involving network session?

Loopy Pro midi out should set to send to AUM.

If you want to send directly into into VS, your routing should look like this:

If instead you're controlling AUv3 parameters it should look like this:

I've tested both routings and they work.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @solncekreeze : i don't understand how the screenshots you posted relate to what i posted about how to send Midi from Loopy.

In AUM, route MIDI from the AUM midi destination to where you want it. The midi loopy sends will be routed through the port labeled AUM Destination at the top of the AUM MIDI routing table.

I'm connecting two devices. Loopy pro on iphone, and VS on iPad via Network. I have already tried different connections, including through Aum destination. There is no signal coming to the iPad. Maybe I'm missing something in the LP settings. When connecting the midi plugins at the top or the AUM keyboard, the signal on the iPad from the iphone arrives and VS reacts to the midi signals channel-by-channel.

• @solncekreeze said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @solncekreeze : i don't understand how the screenshots you posted relate to what i posted about how to send Midi from Loopy.

I'm connecting two devices. Loopy pro on iphone, and VS on iPad via Network. I have already tried different connections, including through Aum destination. There is no signal coming to the iPad. Maybe I'm missing something in the LP settings. When connecting the midi plugins at the top or the AUM keyboard, the signal on the iPad from the iphone arrives and VS reacts to the midi signals channel-by-channel.

Please show the setup in your Loopy Pro widgets that are sending midi. If you choose AUM as the destination as wim showed, the midi will come in through AUM's MIdi input. See the pictures he posted.

• Also, first test on one device to make sure the sending is set up right...network sessions is a whole other can of worms. so, first, make sure you have loopy midi sending working within aum first.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Also, first test on one device to make sure the sending is set up right...network sessions is a whole other can of worms. so, first, make sure you have loopy midi sending working within aum first.

Good. Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out now.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Also, first test on one device to make sure the sending is set up right...network sessions is a whole other can of worms. so, first, make sure you have loopy midi sending working within aum first.

It doesn't work.

• @solncekreeze : I recommend loading a MIDI monitor as an AU (streambyter is free and can be used as a midi monitor if you don't have one) and connecting it to AUM's input port. I have never had this not work.

I recommend adding something as simple as a button widget that sends midi when pressed while you get this figured out. I've tried a play follow action as you have shown and it works for me.

You aren't showing your MIDI routing. So, I can't tell if something is wrong there -- or maybe VS isn't set up right. But if you use streambyter (or other monitor to watch the port) you should see it.

Above are screenshots showing the routing. I have a play follow action that sends CC20 and a widget that sends note 60. All show up in the MIDI Monitor.

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

@solncekreeze - did you establish the network session between the iPhone and the iPad through the "wireless" icon in AUM? That doesn't happen automatically.

Here's what works with no issue for me:

• Loopy Pro on iPhone MIDI set to AUM output
    • 'AUM' Destination on iPhone routed to Network Session
    • On iPad, establish the Network Session to the iPhone
    • Network Session routed to VS on the iPad

Works fine here.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @solncekreeze : I recommend loading a MIDI monitor as an AU (streambyter is free and can be used as a midi monitor if you don't have one) and connecting it to AUM's input port. I have never had this not work.

I recommend adding something as simple as a button widget that sends midi when pressed while you get this figured out. I've tried a play follow action as you have shown and it works for me.

You aren't showing your MIDI routing. So, I can't tell if something is wrong there -- or maybe VS isn't set up right. But if you use streambyter (or other monitor to watch the port) you should see it.

Above are screenshots showing the routing. I have a play follow action that sends CC20 and a widget that sends note 60. All show up in the MIDI Monitor.

The note works both for input and output. CC20 only for input. The output does not work. I took screenshots.

• @wim said:
    @solncekreeze - did you establish the network session between the iPhone and the iPad through the "wireless" icon in AUM? That doesn't happen automatically.

Here's what works with no issue for me:

• Loopy Pro on iPhone MIDI set to AUM output
    • 'AUM' Destination on iPhone routed to Network Session
    • On iPad, establish the Network Session to the iPhone
    • Network Session routed to VS on the iPad

Works fine here.

Yes, I do. For some reason, a single widget with a note sounds, but the loop does not want to sound.

• @solncekreeze : what kind of action is triggering the send CC?

Maybe create an AUM session with just loopy pro and streambyter, compress it and post it.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @solncekreeze : what kind of action is triggering the send CC?

Maybe create an AUM session with just loopy pro and streambyter, compress it and post it.

"Play" is installed. I have enough knowledge today😁I'll continue after a while. You need to figure out how to signal the magnifier to VS not once, but depending on the sound. I almost figured out the notes and single samples. Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help. But I'm not saying goodbye in this discussion

• Btw- I think you’ll be a lot better off with a Bluetooth connection rather than using network session over WiFi.

(Though maybe Network Session auto reconnects, unlike Bluetooth? I haven’t tried to see.)

• @wim said:
    Btw- I think you’ll be a lot better off with a Bluetooth connection rather than using network session over WiFi.

(Though maybe Network Session auto reconnects, unlike Bluetooth? I haven’t tried to see.)

Network connection is very convenient. But the settings with the midi message are a bit confusing. There are no problems with those applications that are at the top of the AUM. I wonder if LP will move up to AUM? 😊

• @solncekreeze said:

@wim said:
    Btw- I think you’ll be a lot better off with a Bluetooth connection rather than using network session over WiFi.

Network connection is very convenient. But the settings with the midi message are a bit confusing. There are no problems with those applications that are at the top of the AUM. I wonder if LP will move up to AUM? 😊

There should be no problem sending the CCs out of Loopy. If you upload the AUM project that isn't working, that has just Loopy Pro sending notes and CC out and Streambyter monitor, we should be able to found where things have gone wrong. Btw, to be clear, it will look like the MIDI from Loopy is coming from AUM. You will be routing from that AUM destination at the top of the routing chart to wherever you want it to go.

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

@solncekreeze said:

@wim said:

This is something suggested for a long time since even before release to make Loopy's routing more conventional. Whether or not it's planned to be added is up to @Michael.

It shouldn't make any difference at all though as long as you understand how the routing works. Loopy out to "AUM". "AUM Destination" in to wherever you want the MIDI to go. Simple.

As for Bluetooth vs. Network session, Network Session over WiFi has more latency, less consistency, and is no easier to setup than Bluetooth. But if it meets your needs then that's cool. 👍🏼

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

I thought maybe Network Session might have one advantage over Bluetooth - that it might re-establish automatically. It doesn't. So there isn't a single advantage to it that I can see.

Well, there is one if you want to get rid of wireless altogether and do Network Session over Ethernet. That would be useful for a live performance setup where relying on any over the air connection could be problematic.

• edited February 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@wim said:

There should be no problem sending the CCs out of Loopy. If you upload the AUM project that isn't working, that has just Loopy Pro sending notes and CC out and Streambyter monitor, we should be able to found where things have gone wrong. Btw, to be clear, it will look like the MIDI from Loopy is coming from AUM. You will be routing from that AUM destination at the top of the routing chart to wherever you want it to go.

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@wim said:

When I start the clip, the Sysex message appears , although in the CC message settings . A single launch of the clip works fine, reproduces the note without problems. I can't figure it out. yet.

And does not go to the sysex mfg output.

• @wim said:
    I thought maybe Network Session might have one advantage over Bluetooth - that it might re-establish automatically. It doesn't. So there isn't a single advantage to it that I can see.

Well, there is one if you want to get rid of wireless altogether and do Network Session over Ethernet. That would be useful for a live performance setup where relying on any over the air connection could be problematic.

This is already how you like it😊But I'm still more concerned about midi routing. It doesn't take much for the signal to arrive from one device to another in the application, and there are so many obstacles.

• @espiegel123 said:

When you click send, a normal midi message is sent. I cash in on play and Sysex MFG appears. What could be wrong? Aum has chosen. Widgets transmit the signal normally. There is no magnifier when starting.

• @solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

When you click send, a normal midi message is sent. I cash in on play and Sysex MFG appears. What could be wrong? Aum has chosen. Widgets transmit the signal normally. There is no magnifier when starting.

Those SysEx messages (Mfg appears to be a typo for Msg) in the StreamByter input window are Start (7A) and Stop (7C) events from the AUM host. They never leave StreamByter, and you can ignore them. The messages in the output window are the same as those in the input window if you scroll back. They are the messages you're interested in, so you should just watch the StreamByter output window.

When you first open StreamByter, you need to select the monitor (magnifier) before starting to send messages. It will not begin monitoring until then.

• @uncledave said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

Those SysEx messages (Mfg appears to be a typo for Msg) in the StreamByter input window are Start (7A) and Stop (7C) events from the AUM host. They never leave StreamByter, and you can ignore them. The messages in the output window are the same as those in the input window if you scroll back. They are the messages you're interested in, so you should just watch the StreamByter output window.

When you first open StreamByter, you need to select the monitor (magnifier) before starting to send messages. It will not begin monitoring until then.

Cleared and turned on playback. What appears in the screenshot appears. And the signal when playing the magnifier is not received. Sysex only. I have already tried different routing-it does not work.

• @solncekreeze said:

@uncledave said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

Cleared and turned on playback. What appears in the screenshot appears. And the signal when playing the magnifier is not received. Sysex only. I have already tried different routing-it does not work.

How about posting the project so that I can see why? Either you have found a bug in which case we can inform Michael do that he can fix it, or there may be some tweak I will find that will result in it working .

• edited February 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@uncledave said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

How about posting the project so that I can see why? Either you have found a bug in which case we can inform Michael do that he can fix it, or there may be some tweak I will find that will result in it working .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ksqvuzkl0b205g/Streambytes test midi LP.aumproj?dl=0

Ok

• @solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

@solncekreeze said:

@uncledave said:

@solncekreeze said:

@espiegel123 said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ksqvuzkl0b205g/Streambytes test midi LP.aumproj?dl=0

Ok

When I open that project, the loopy AU instance is a default project with no binfings. If you download and open it, do you see something different?

• Make sure you have turned on state saving->Whole project

in the loopy pro AU system settings