Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ABC Collective Soundtrack the Sequel. <<<METROPOLIS>>> Names drawn time to play!

edited February 2023 in Creations

So, we've split the film into sections and rolled the dice! This time, the sections aren't evenly divided, but we've tried to make the in points at either definite scene endings / starts, or when a new character or theme enters the picture, and there's a rough description of the thinking on each of those.

This means that most, though not all, have some crossover with the sections before, after, or in many cases, both. One section (no 10) is perhaps a little long, and has an obvious ~3 minute split in it; if the person selected for that would prefer just to do one of those sections that would be fine (it's the one with the Seven Deadly Sins sequence in it, so could be an interesting interlude piece to do)

Without being prescriptive, it'd be great if you would each communicate with your immediate partner(s), either privately or publicly so that @Synthi job of mixing and laying out the soundtrack isn't made any more tricky, and that the piece as a whole gels as well as it can. It may be obvious to you what needs doing, but it's always good to try and consider what the other might think, and what it means for them, and may give you new focus and ideas in what you're seeking to do.

There's no rush, it's not a race, and definitely not a competition. So take your time and watch the film, your section in particular a couple of times, consider your approach, talk with others about your ideas as much as you can.

Above all have fun!

The dropbox folder

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lufu8vxa6v1vlda/AAB25Ag_KokXd_qVZipOQf6Pa?dl=0

There's a video folder with a file called [ABC Metropolis TIMECODED v001.mp4] - this is the reference file for us all to refer to. There's an audio folder, only Gavinski has a subfolder, but we or you can add one at any point.

I think there'll be a technical briefing at some point to follow soon...

The spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oi6UR0tkizchU2VwD77REsCkheTv-3ik4SMGNnZYKGA/edit?usp=sharing

and the text version:

Section number Scene / Theme / Character In Out
1 First shift 0:00:52:00 0:07:11:20 @cyberheater
2 Maria and the children 0:05:00:29 0:11:14:01 @GeoTony
3 Freder discovers the workers 0:10:00:00 0:16:16:04 @piano39
4 Father and son 0:14:50:11 0:20:18:00 @AlterEgo_UK
5 Taking over the clock 0:19:38:14 0:24:42:05 @Gavinski
6 Rotwang's machine 0:24:42:05 0:31:23:24 @Sons_Cartouches
7 Into the catacombs / the Gathering 0:29:48:27 0:35:45:20 @Synthi
8 Tower of Babel 0:34:54:03 0:40:21:13 @Aletheia
9 The mediator's heart 0:39:22:12 0:44:50:10 @jwmmakerofmusic
10 Pursuit of Maria 0:44:13:10 0:47:29:02 @KirbyMumbo
Seven deadly sins 0:47:29:02 0:49:12:24
11 Transformation 0:49:12:24 0:56:25:04 @Alfred
12 Introducing 0:56:25:04 1:02:00:19 @cabo
13 Incitement 1:02:00:19 1:08:02:12 @Toastedghost
14 To Riot 1:06:04:29 1:13:17:04 @Mountain_Hamlet
15 Struggle for control 1:10:38:24 1:16:50:08 @cuscolima
16 Deluge / Flood 1:14:54:26 1:19:33:17 @monch1962
17 Panic on all levels 1:17:54:23 1:22:37:16 @JanKun
18 The Witch 1:21:08:29 1:28:18:25 @rottencat
19 Final struggle 1:27:51:06 1:33:50:07 @childofthecorndog

If there's a way to do tables let me know and I'll redo the mess above :)

Comments

• It’s on like donkey kong! Thanks @Krupa!!!

• Thanks for the very clear info Krupa, downloaded OK 👍

• @GeoTony said:
    Thanks for the very clear info Krupa, downloaded OK 👍

Whoop 🙌 hopefully I learned my lessons last time out! Thanks for letting me know 🙏

• Thanks Krupa! Top banana

• Excellent! :) Looking forward to the technical briefing. :)

• Yeah great, looks like a good part too. Any chance to listen to the original score of this part? I could jump right in at the weekend. Thanks a lot.

• @cabo said:
    Yeah great, looks like a good part too. Any chance to listen to the original score of this part? I could jump right in at the weekend. Thanks a lot.

Oh cool you got the dance part, lucky you!

There’s been several interpretations of this over the decades, there probably was Sam original score later by whatever instrumentalist was in the cinema you were at.

Personally I’d stay away from listening to much if you haven’t seen it before, one of the reasons I was happy not to have a slot on this was that I’ve studied this film at length since my college days - so I’ve likely got all its versions stashed somewhere in my psyche and it’d be all to easy to just end up pastiching those for me… if you are determined, the link to this version can be found on the survey/first post of the other sequel thread I think, or it’ll be on the spreadsheet as well…

• Bit unsure if / where I might be doing anything for this .. ?

If not, well okay, though I was under the impression I was going to. Were there just going to be too many people involved in the end?

Whatever the case, all the best to those taking part. Enjoy!

• @Krupa said:

@cabo said:
    Yeah great, looks like a good part too. Any chance to listen to the original score of this part? I could jump right in at the weekend. Thanks a lot.

There’s been several interpretations of this over the decades, there probably was Sam original score later by whatever instrumentalist was in the cinema you were at.

Personally I’d stay away from listening to much if you haven’t seen it before, one of the reasons I was happy not to have a slot on this was that I’ve studied this film at length since my college days - so I’ve likely got all its versions stashed somewhere in my psyche and it’d be all to easy to just end up pastiching those for me… if you are determined, the link to this version can be found on the survey/first post of the other sequel thread I think, or it’ll be on the spreadsheet as well…

Just to get a feel for it Krupa. I guess I'll look for some versions and see what they did there musically. Mine will be electronic anyway with some cinematic sounds in it. Haven't got a clue what will be coming out but that's the exciting part of it. Looking forward taking action. :)

• @emjay said:
    Bit unsure if / where I might be doing anything for this .. ?

If not, well okay, though I was under the impression I was going to. Were there just going to be too many people involved in the end?

Ah gutted sorry - there was only enough time on the selected version for 19 slots and we had to take the first names on the spreadsheet as the only really record of first come first serve. If any contributors want to collaborate, do reach out to those on the spreadsheet who missed the cut, and if @KirbyMumbo wants to only do one of the shorter slots they’ve been assigned that might be a chance for someone else to get in there…

• @cabo said:

@Krupa said:

@cabo said:

Just to get a feel for it Krupa. I guess I'll look for some versions and see what they did there musically. Mine will be electronic anyway with some cinematic sounds in it. Haven't got a clue what will be coming out but that's the exciting part of it. Looking forward taking action. :)

Great stuff, have fun whatever you do!

• Downloaded and looked at my section. Not a particularly action packed section but looking forward to seeing what develops, musically! :smile:

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Downloaded and looked at my section. Not a particularly action packed section but looking forward to seeing what develops, musically! :smile:

Yeah, probably one of the more cerebral sequences in the film, hopefully it’ll still be interesting to work with for you. An exercise in subtlety perhaps 🤔

• @Krupa said:

@emjay said:

Ah gutted sorry - there was only enough time on the selected version for 19 slots and we had to take the first names on the spreadsheet as the only really record of first come first serve. If any contributors want to collaborate, do reach out to those on the spreadsheet who missed the cut, and if @KirbyMumbo wants to only do one of the shorter slots they’ve been assigned that might be a chance for someone else to get in there…

Feel free to let someone take Pursuit of Maria. I don’t mind having a single section at all. @Krupa

• @KirbyMumbo said:

@Krupa said:

@emjay said:

Feel free to let someone take Pursuit of Maria. I don’t mind having a single section at all. @Krupa

Ah very generous, it was because those two are relatively short compared to all the other sections, I didn’t want anyone to feel as though they didn’t get as big a bite of the cherry… that Seven sins one is a doozy though, I can think of all sorts of fun ways to interpret it, can’t wait to see what you do with it.

I guess we’ll have to have a bonus ball draw over the weekend @sevenape for ‘The pursuit of Maria’; either draw from the remaining pool, or take a show of hands?

• Thanks again @Krupa and @sevenape for taking on this admin! Looking forward to watching my part and getting some ideas together.

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks again @Krupa and @sevenape for taking on this admin! Looking forward to watching my part and getting some ideas together.

No worries, it was less admin and more the struggle looking at lots of versions and weighing up pros and cons. The more creative work of finding good scene points was an interesting revisit for me and quite good fun, as was editing those tube samples (which I still hope people will find a use for in this, as a proxy for me doing a section 😜)

• https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/51388/the-audiobus-horrowshow-final-submission-details/p1

Svetlovska’s opening post in this has what I presume will be in the technical briefing if anyone’s worried about getting started; it’s all mainly in the finishing anyway (dB levels and exporting etc)

• To get a quick overview of how my section fits into the overall plot of Metropolis, I asked ChatGPT to tell me the story. I thought others might find it useful too:

_Metropolis is a story set in a futuristic city where the rich and powerful live in skyscrapers and the working class toil away in underground factories. The city is divided by a huge chasm, symbolizing the divide between the two classes.

Joh Fredersen is the ruler of Metropolis, and his son, Freder, is a curious young man who is disturbed by the plight of the workers. One day, Freder sneaks down to the underground factories and meets a beautiful young woman named Maria, who has come to the workers to spread a message of hope.

As Freder and Maria become friends, they start to see the need for a bridge between the two classes in Metropolis. But their plans are thwarted by Joh, who sees the workers as a threat to his rule and orders his scientist, Rotwang, to create a robot in the likeness of Maria to use as a tool for manipulation and control.

The robot causes chaos in the city, and the workers begin to rise up against their oppressors. As the city falls into turmoil, Freder must race against time to stop the robot and bring peace to Metropolis. In the end, he is successful and the two classes are brought together to work towards a better future for all.

The story of Metropolis is a warning about the dangers of class division and the need for unity and cooperation. It is a timeless tale that remains relevant to this day._

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    To get a quick overview of how my section fits into the overall plot of Metropolis, I asked ChatGPT to tell me the story. I thought others might find it useful too:

_Metropolis is a story set in a futuristic city where the rich and powerful live in skyscrapers and the working class toil away in underground factories. The city is divided by a huge chasm, symbolizing the divide between the two classes.

Joh Fredersen is the ruler of Metropolis, and his son, Freder, is a curious young man who is disturbed by the plight of the workers. One day, Freder sneaks down to the underground factories and meets a beautiful young woman named Maria, who has come to the workers to spread a message of hope.

As Freder and Maria become friends, they start to see the need for a bridge between the two classes in Metropolis. But their plans are thwarted by Joh, who sees the workers as a threat to his rule and orders his scientist, Rotwang, to create a robot in the likeness of Maria to use as a tool for manipulation and control.

The robot causes chaos in the city, and the workers begin to rise up against their oppressors. As the city falls into turmoil, Freder must race against time to stop the robot and bring peace to Metropolis. In the end, he is successful and the two classes are brought together to work towards a better future for all.

The story of Metropolis is a warning about the dangers of class division and the need for unity and cooperation. It is a timeless tale that remains relevant to this day._

Good old chat gpt

@Krupa in your opinion, which current version has the best music? Not looking for inspiration, but just want to watch the full version with the best soundtrack.

• edited February 2023

@AlterEgo_UK said:
    To get a quick overview of how my section fits into the overall plot of Metropolis, I asked ChatGPT to tell me the story. I thought others might find it useful too:

"As Feder and Maria become friends" 🤣
    I didn't know friends could kiss like that, but I must be old fashioned...

• I wouldn’t want to say really, there’s such a diverse selection (probably way more than a hundred I reckon). From the rock pop sings of the eighties version (this one sticks with me despite not being a fan of the genres as it was my initial exposure) to the more traditional orchestra pit type ones, and then the more modern Jeff Mills late nineties techno type one… I have a feeling the cinematic orchestra might have done a live one that I couldn’t afford to go to in the noughties…

This is the only version of this particular cut/print I found and it’s silent on the archive.org page it’s from, I presume there was a score, maybe only a live one - if anyone finds a better telecine/encode of this cut we might get a better finished picture so let me know!

https://archive.org/details/MetropolisGriggsMoviedrome

There’s a whole bunch of links on the spreadsheet, I’d dive in and try a few until you stick with one that appeals to you; just be aware that they’re all probably different lengths and cuts - This one seemed close to the one I studied most closely at college, whereas the newer longer cuts added shots that made sense of some of the weirdness I could never explain in the editing/direction. Those bloody Nazis even managed to make me think that old time filmmakers were a bit daft, when it was just crappy censorship ripping up masterpieces…

• @Krupa said:
    I wouldn’t want to say really, there’s such a diverse selection (probably way more than a hundred I reckon). From the rock pop sings of the eighties version (this one sticks with me despite not being a fan of the genres as it was my initial exposure) to the more traditional orchestra pit type ones, and then the more modern Jeff Mills late nineties techno type one… I have a feeling the cinematic orchestra might have done a live one that I couldn’t afford to go to in the noughties…

This is the only version of this particular cut/print I found and it’s silent on the archive.org page it’s from, I presume there was a score, maybe only a live one - if anyone finds a better telecine/encode of this cut we might get a better finished picture so let me know!

There’s a whole bunch of links on the spreadsheet, I’d dive in and try a few until you stick with one that appeals to you; just be aware that they’re all probably different lengths and cuts - This one seemed close to the one I studied most closely at college, whereas the newer longer cuts added shots that made sense of some of the weirdness I could never explain in the editing/direction. Those bloody Nazis even managed to make me think that old time filmmakers were a bit daft, when it was just crappy censorship ripping up masterpieces…

You have drunk deep from the well of Metropolis I see, no worries! I'll do some googling, thnx!

• @Gavinski said:

@Krupa said:
    I wouldn’t want to say really, there’s such a diverse selection (probably way more than a hundred I reckon). From the rock pop sings of the eighties version (this one sticks with me despite not being a fan of the genres as it was my initial exposure) to the more traditional orchestra pit type ones, and then the more modern Jeff Mills late nineties techno type one… I have a feeling the cinematic orchestra might have done a live one that I couldn’t afford to go to in the noughties…

You have drunk deep from the well of Metropolis I see, no worries! I'll do some googling, thnx!

Yeah between that and Cagliari and Faust we spent a lot of hours watching and re watching German Expressionism, then it was onto the early Hollywood (via Fritz Lang M etc…)

• edited February 2023

@Krupa : that sounds like a course I wish I’d taken! ‘The Art & Architecture of the Hindu Temple’ had its moments (if by that you meant access to the restricted pornographic carvings held at the British Museum), but on the whole, I would have preferred German Expressionism , I think…

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Krupa : that sounds like a course I wish I’d taken! ‘The Art & Architecture of the Hindu Temple’ had its moments (if by that you meant access to the restricted pornographic carvings held at the British Museum), but on the whole, I would have preferred German Expressionism , I think…

Yeah we were lucky, we had a great teacher in Mick who was them at Preston college, then lately UCLAN before retirement I believe. Led us swiftly through the forties and fifties before spaghetti westerns and other delights of that decade, and the seventies, culminating in detailed looks at Lynch works, much of which was Blue Velvet and Wild at heart…

• edited February 2023

That is a list of some of my favourite films and genres.Sounds like a man of discrimination and taste… :)

• Sweet!Nice job behind the scenes pulling this together guys, appreciated🙏Hyped to work on this with everyone.

• Thanks!❤️

• Hello all!
    Thanks for all your time and efforts in organising this… fortuitous inspirations to everyone involved.