Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

importing from DrumPerfect Pro into Cubasis 3

I was following directions in this video to export from DPP into Cubasis. At 1:10 in the video it says to press the import button, but I don't have an import button, only Loop and Mute.

Comments

• I found the same. However, when I went to the factory presets for the player in Cubasis, all the songs were there. Maybe the tutorial is just out of date?

• From the release notes from v3.1, 17 June 2020:

Songs in app are automatically synced with AU Player.

• @wim said:
    I found the same. However, when I went to the factory presets for the player in Cubasis, all the songs were there. Maybe the tutorial is just out of date?

The video and manual as well are out of date. In fact, the link for the manual in the app is a dead end.

I have just begun exploring DPP after watching a couple of Doug's videos on the Sound Test Room. Surprising that there isn't more good documentation out there about the process of creating and exporting songs and patterns. It's a very powerful tool which is a bit intimidating to learn.

• Welcome to iOS. 😂

• edited January 2023

@wim said:
    Welcome to iOS. 😂

Well Wim, thanks but I really do need some help. Maybe I'm asking in the wrong forum. I've tried multiple times to import a DPP song into Cubasis 3 but I've been unsuccessful. I did import a backup of DPP into the DPP player app inside Cubasis. It shows the song in the factory presets lists. I load it in the player but when I press play there is no sound and no representation of a track sample in the DPP track; nothing happens.

Is there anyone who can give me a step-by-step directions to a successful import? It would be much appreciated.

• wimwim
    edited January 2023

@LeesKeys said:

@wim said:
    Welcome to iOS. 😂

Well Wim, thanks but I really do need some help. Maybe I'm asking in the wrong forum. I've tried multiple times to import a DPP song into Cubasis 3 but I've been unsuccessful. I did import a backup of DPP into the DPP player app inside Cubasis. It shows the song in the factory presets lists. I load it in the player but when I press play there is no sound and no representation of a track sample in the DPP track; nothing happens.

Is there anyone who can give me a step-by-step directions to a successful import? It would be much appreciated.

Ahh, silly me, I assumed it would work to just load the preset since it showed up, without trying it. Sorry about that.

I'll mess around with it a bit later today and see if I can get something to work.

• @wim said:

Ahh, silly me, I assumed it would work to just load the preset since it showed up, without trying it. Sorry about that.

I'll mess around with it a bit later today and see if I can get something to work.

Much appreciated!

• I don't think I understand.
    I just load up the player, selecte a preset of a song, and press play. The song plays back.
    I didn't have to do any export or import. Just saving the song made it show up as an available preset.

What process are you following?

• You won't see any representation of the waveform in the track because it's a MIDI track, but you should hear playback.

If you want there to be an audio clip in the track you have to freeze the track. But Cubasis doesn't freeze tracks unless there is some MIDI in them. The workaround is to add a midi clip the length that you want to freeze and put in at least one note in it.

• Thanks Wim. That is amazingly unintuitive. I did manage to achieve the desired result, but not consistently. it's late here and my brain is tired. Obviously I'm missing a step when I don't succeed. I thought from reading the DPP literature that it would export individual instruments into their own tracks in Cubasis. Guess I was wrong. I do feel I'm getting the hang of how to create things within DPP; it's using them outside of DPP that's confusing.

• wimwim
    edited January 2023

I think I know where the disconnect is now. You were reading about using DrumPerfect Pro via IAA in Cubasis. The AUv3 player isn't used for that purpose.

To add individual tracks for DPP in Cubasis:

1. Open DPP and load the song that you want to use.
    2. Open Cubasis and Add an Audio track.
    3. Expand the side menu for the track, and under Routing change Mono Input to Inter-App.
    4. Scroll down until you see the Drum Perfect outputs. Tap the output that you want to use on the track.
    5. Repeat for each DPP track that you want to use.
    6. You should now be able to hear the output and record it to audio clips.
    7. Turn off monitoring if you want to hear the recorded audio playback so that you don't get the DPP output on top.
  • ... and ... now I see that the AUv3 player has multi-out. I dunno if Cubasis supports multi-output AUv3, and if it does how to do it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

• wimwim
    edited January 2023

It's very easy to add the multi-output AUv3 player in Cubasis. Just add the player, then in the track menu tap the "+ Add 16 Tracks" button. A track will be created for each output.

Load a song preset that you saved from the standalone, and press play. Each individual track will have it's own output.

I didn't have success at first at freezing to get an audio clip. I could only freeze one track at a time, and when I unfroze things, the plugin failed to reload.

Good luck.

If it were me, I'd just export stems from DPP and import them to Cubasis. Trying to wire all this shit together in iOS is often simply not worth the trouble.

(Though, the IAA method above does seem to work)

• @LeesKeys said:
    I was following directions in this video to export from DPP into Cubasis. At 1:10 in the video it says to press the import button, but I don't have an import button, only Loop and Mute.

Hi @LeesKeys , sorry to hear about your trouble. Could you explain precisely what you want to export to Cubasis from DPP. Export Midi, audio, stems..?

As Wim kindly mentioned, you don't have to do anymore what is in the video.( DPP and Cubasis have been updated during these 3 years, and of course there have been many changes ). I recommend to read other posts about DPP updates on Audiobus forum.

In the last version of DP player, your songs are automatically listed as presets. Choose one and it will play/record midi in Cubasis 3 or any Auv3 host.
    Remember that from DPP ( main app ) you can easily export any song, pattern (s ) as audio, stems or midi, and open them in any DAW, including Cubasis.
    You can as well record separate instrument ( instead of exporting them as stems ) if your DAW support multi outputs. It works well in AUM. Cubasis may have a different approach.

The manual v3.3 as well as the detailed Quick Start are available at the newly redesigned website: https://www.drumperfect.nl/?page_id=20. You can also access it from DPP icon in the app.
    Here is a screenshot ( DPP player UI may differ as it is here the latest version with new functionality ).

• Thanks Gilbert and Wim for the clarification. FYI, Gilbert, the link to the manual in the DPP app is broken. It says 'URL not found'.

Regarding recording audio from DPP into Cubasis, the IAA input routing does work. I was able to record for 'All Instruments'. The other options in the list are: Instr 1, followed by options for Instr 10-15, then Instr 2-9. Do these numbers represent specific instruments in the kit associated with the song? If so, how do I tell which numbers is associated with which instrument (e.g., kick, hihat, etc.)? When I select any of these as my source there's no audio input.

I will have more questions I'm sure, but I want to be able to understand one concept before moving on to the next.

• edited January 2023

@LeesKeys said:
    Thanks Gilbert and Wim for the clarification. FYI, Gilbert, the link to the manual in the DPP app is broken. It says 'URL not found'.

Regarding recording audio from DPP into Cubasis, the IAA input routing does work. I was able to record for 'All Instruments'. The other options in the list are: Instr 1, followed by options for Instr 10-15, then Instr 2-9. Do these numbers represent specific instruments in the kit associated with the song? If so, how do I tell which numbers is associated with which instrument (e.g., kick, hihat, etc.)? When I select any of these as my source there's no audio input.

I will have more questions I'm sure, but I want to be able to understand one concept before moving on to the next.

Few things:
    DPP IAA is hosted very well in AUM but not so well in Cubasis from my observations.
    Looking at the screenshot AUM specify that All inst is treated as an External Instrument ( and therefore show the host's icon ), while other numbers are External generators. That doesn't appear in Cubasis. Also there is a little bug in Cubasis displaying instruments starting from 1, 10, 11... then 2.... ( In Aum the order is correct )
    So in Cubasis and AUM you can record instruments separately and get stems. You just have to create a track per instrument as well as one for All instrument, so you have the IAA transport.

Usually in a standard GM midi kit, you will have:
    inst1= kick, inst2= snare, inst3= hi hat closed and so on....
    But since you can create your own kits in DPP, you can chose the order. If you are not sure, you could prepare a project with 16 audio tracks for the instruments + one for All instr. Save as a template and reuse when you want to record DPP multitrack. That's one possibility.

Another possibility is to export all instruments from DPP as audio stems. And load the audio files in any DAW ( Cubasis or AUM, even Koala ) since they support drag n drop from files app. The advantage is that they are already named ( song-instr-track )

Good luck.

• Thanks Gilbert. This is all making a lot more sense. I was able to import audio stems into my Cubasis project. I did notice that the kick drum sound file also contains snare and hihat sounds (at a lower volume). Was this intentional?

• @LeesKeys said:
    Thanks Gilbert. This is all making a lot more sense. I was able to import audio stems into my Cubasis project. I did notice that the kick drum sound file also contains snare and hihat sounds (at a lower volume). Was this intentional?

Not intentional. My exported kick stem is clean, no snare/hi hat.
    Are the kick samples you use, clean? Are the snare/hi hat playing their own part or do they appear only in the kick hits?
    Have you tried with a different kit?

• @LeesKeys said:
    Thanks Gilbert. This is all making a lot more sense. I was able to import audio stems into my Cubasis project. I did notice that the kick drum sound file also contains snare and hihat sounds (at a lower volume). Was this intentional?

Anyway, it is called "bleeding" when you hear very softly other instruments from the kit. It is considered to make the mix more realistic, mic from the kick capturing a bit of snare, toms and even cymbals.

• @Gilbert , thanks for your help. I finally feel pretty good about creating and exporting patterns and songs. This is a great app. Well worth the effort to learn.

• I have a question about pattern/song tempos. I have two patterns in the song and I've set them both for 100bpm. But when I go to the song page I see that the Tempo slider is set at .60. If I understand correctly this means that the patterns play at 60%, or 60 bpm. If I slide the tempo slider all the way to the right (1.0), it bounces back to .60. There doesn't seem to be a way to set it so that the patterns play at 100bpm. What am I missing?

• @LeesKeys said:
    I have a question about pattern/song tempos. I have two patterns in the song and I've set them both for 100bpm. But when I go to the song page I see that the Tempo slider is set at .60. If I understand correctly this means that the patterns play at 60%, or 60 bpm. If I slide the tempo slider all the way to the right (1.0), it bounces back to .60. There doesn't seem to be a way to set it so that the patterns play at 100bpm. What am I missing?

Have you tried pressing Reset button ? ( to original bpm )

• The song was originally created and saved at 60bpm, maybe that's why the "reset" button isn't changing anything?

One other issue, the latest manual I've been looking at is for version 3.3, but my app version is 3.21- the app store doesn't give any update option.

• edited February 2023

@LeesKeys said:
    The song was originally created and saved at 60bpm, maybe that's why the "reset" button isn't changing anything?

The tempo value will follow each pattern bpm, if you reset.
    But it will follow the song's bpm you have saved, when you load the song.
    So what you can do is:
    1- make sure all your patterns are at 100bpm and saved.
    2- put the song bpm at 60, save the song ( as a new version preferably ),
    3- clear all, then load the song ( it will be at 60 bpm, )
    4- then Reset and it should return to 100 bpm. ( tempo automation knob must be turned Off )

On my side this is working fine.

One other issue, the latest manual I've been looking at is for version 3.3, but my app version is 3.21- the app store doesn't give any update option.

Yes, the manual v.3.3 means a new version is in the works.
    No worries, it is still valid for v. 3.21