Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drag and Drop MIDI

Hello guys...I hope everyone had a great new year. Our Team has made a big update to the Splat-to-Clat and we think you will enjoy the updates. One thing that is puzzling us is that we built a custom Drag and Drop so that you can Drag the MIDI file from the browser, instead of having to export it, but it seems as if a lot of DAWs don't even support this. There's hardly any standard or any documentation on this.

Can you guys help us with the following:
1. Who is actually using Drag and Drop of MIDI, especially with beat apps?
2. What's your workflow look like and what AUv3 DAWs are you using?

Comments

• @GospelMusicians said:
    Hello guys...I hope everyone had a great new year. Our Team has made a big update to the Splat-to-Clat and we think you will enjoy the updates. One thing that is puzzling us is that we built a custom Drag and Drop so that you can Drag the MIDI file from the browser, instead of having to export it, but it seems as if a lot of DAWs don't even support this. There's hardly any standard or any documentation on this.

Can you guys help us with the following:
    1. Who is actually using Drag and Drop of MIDI, especially with beat apps?
    2. What's your workflow look like and what AUv3 DAWs are you using?

Thanks for implementing this Jamal! Unless I remember wrongly I am pretty sure you can drag and drop midi into Atom2 hosted in AUM. I can't speak about other apps or other hosts but I'm sure people like it @wim, @_ki and @uncledave, among others, will know this

• Cubasis 3 added Drag'n'Drop support to the app with the recent 3.5 update.

Use Files.app in slide-over view view or start dragging a file and switch over to Cubasis and drop the file.
    It also works fine when using stage manager.

But as mentioned, the app must support drag'n'drop for this to work.

• You can drag and drop a midi file into LK.

• edited January 2023

From Files app used in slide over mode (aum can't do slideover or split screen, but the Files app can)

jason said:

@Gavinski said:
    … Unless I remember wrongly I am pretty sure you can drag and drop midi into Atom2 hosted in AUM. I can't speak about other apps or other hosts but I'm sure people like it @wim, @_ki and @uncledave, among others, will know this

Dropping into an audio unit? From where?

• jason said:

@White said:
    You can drag and drop a midi file into LK.

Do you mean the audio unit?
    LK main app does not support scene view.

Yes the audio unit.

• Multitrackstudio supports drag and drop MIDI both from its hosted AUs and from the filesystem.

• jason said:

@Gavinski said:
    … Unless I remember wrongly I am pretty sure you can drag and drop midi into Atom2 hosted in AUM. I can't speak about other apps or other hosts but I'm sure people like it @wim, @_ki and @uncledave, among others, will know this

Another Audio Unit?

I can as an example drag a sample/audio-clip from Drambo AUv3 to Koala AUv3.
    Or Drambo AUv3 to Cubasis Timeline...

• jason said:

@Gavinski said:
    From Files app used in slide over mode (aum can't do slideover or split screen, but the Files app can)

jason said:

@Gavinski said:

I really would see a video that demonstrates how one is draging and dropping a MIDI file from files app into any other app, that is not supporting split view. This possibly could enlighten me.

I'm not near my ipad but can share later if someone else doesn't do it first 👍

• I use Drambo and it doesn't support it so if I want to drag a midi file I load it in atom inside drambo and then record it to a native drambo clip

• AEM supports drag and drop along with MTS as @MisplacedDevelopment said and Cubasis 3.5 as @Samu said. Atom 2 does this as well as @Gavinski and others have mentioned.

@GospelMusicians can we please get mouse/trackpad support like the desktop apps have? It’d be great to be able to scroll within PSP etc. with a keyboard/trackpad case, thanks 🙏

• @Samu said:
    Cubasis 3 added Drag'n'Drop support to the app with the recent 3.5 update.

Use Files.app in slide-over view view or start dragging a file and switch over to Cubasis and drop the file.

This is the main one we are having issues with. Helium Works, but for some reason Cubase doesn't and we are using the File Browser Method (Behind the scenes).

• @GospelMusicians said:

@Samu said:
    Cubasis 3 added Drag'n'Drop support to the app with the recent 3.5 update.

This is the main one we are having issues with. Helium Works, but for some reason Cubase doesn't and we are using the File Browser Method (Behind the scenes).

I had a similar issue with Cubasis drag and dropping midi from Suggester. It would crash it. I think Suggester used the .midi format and I believe Cubasis only wanted to accept .mid or something like that

• jason said:
    I would recommend to mainly focus on the file export to the files app.
    With this the user could re-import from there.

As far as I know, via file link it is to ensure that you export the file first to a location that is accessible by the host.
    This may be complicated.

The other method would be to share/send the data object directly. This requires that the MIDI has correct Data() representation and UTI (unified type identifier).

I could imagine, that supporting all kind of different music apps directly is rather a challenge.
    Some generic way would be more compatible.

If the focus is only the files app, Id respectfully disagree. Files app leads to more clutter than I would like Vs a simply drag and drop that leaves no mess in ‘files’.

Files as another/additional option as mentioned above it think is great. But please, keep the drag n drop

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

jason said:

As far as I know, via file link it is to ensure that you export the file first to a location that is accessible by the host.
    This may be complicated.

The other method would be to share/send the data object directly. This requires that the MIDI has correct Data() representation and UTI (unified type identifier).

I could imagine, that supporting all kind of different music apps directly is rather a challenge.

If the focus is only the files app, Id respectfully disagree. Files app leads to more clutter than I would like Vs a simply drag and drop that leaves no mess in ‘files’.

Files as another/additional option as mentioned above it think is great. But please, keep the drag n drop

Agreed

• Yes, browsing files in-app is a sheer time wasting nightmare. Apple really need to improve the way Files works.

• jason said:

This may be complicated. I think you will run into loads of sandboxing issues this way.

No, that’s an awful request.
    Drag and drop midi is a very basic feature and the more plugins and daws support it, the better it will be for all of us.

Instead I’ll ask for Export + drag and drop midi.

P.S
    @GospelMusicians it would be very welcomed if you guys answered to the requests that are sent from through the contact page on the website.
    I sent a few suggestions when it got released and I never got a reply, not even an automated one that acknowledged that my message came through.

• jason said:
    This wasn‘t a ‚request‘ either. ^^
    And on Apple platforms, nothing is ‚very basic‘, otherwise developers would not ask for help here.

As you are a developer, it would be much better to ask other developers.
    I recommend talking to the Audio Evolution Mobile developer, that’s if he’s available to help.
    He added it so he might know how to do it.

• @bargale said:

jason said:
    This wasn‘t a ‚request‘ either. ^^
    And on Apple platforms, nothing is ‚very basic‘, otherwise developers would not ask for help here.

As you are a developer, it would be much better to ask other developers.
    I recommend talking to the Audio Evolution Mobile developer, that’s if he’s available to help.
    He added it so he might know how to do it.

Why would a developer be on another developers thread about adding a feature, and recommending they don’t add it. Ain’t that against a dev code of conduct or something Lol 😂

Let’s set the record straight since you’re a dev. We want drag and drop. Please don’t attempt to stop this train. Thank you.

• jason said:
    I din not recommend to not adding it. I did recommend to do it the right way.

👇

jason said:

👆

If you are intellectually not able to understand what I say, so it is your disability.

I can’t intellectually understand why you didn’t follow the OP’s prompt. Are u a music app user? Are you using drag and drop in your music workflow? Please let us know what apps work and don’t. Let’s get intellectual, but on topic.

You are continuously failing to understand what I say.

You’re continuously trying to have the last word, mucking up a wonderful thread by a wonderful dev. We want drag and drop and the dev is attempting to offer it in their app. Unless you can actually impart some useful info on adding drag and drop, or what the prompt asks, please stop getting in the way.