Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fluss crashing in AUM

6th gen iPad, 2018. Os 15.1. Buffer size in AUM : 512

Please help!
Fluss (recorder) crashing when I open an existing AUM project. Weirdly, not all instances are crashing. Also Fluss (instrument) is a blank screen when I open it in some projects…
This happened last week, so I quit AUM, shut down iPad and restarted…seemed to rectify the problem. This time however, upon reopening AUM, all the audio that was saved is gone. Really really annoying. I was opening this project to put some finishing touches to it before mixing it down for my next album, a vinyl release….and now it’s lost completely 😡 Now I’m reluctant to open any more projects in case I lose more stuff..
Worth mentioning that Nambu also crashed on one occasion, so it might not be an issue with Fluss exclusively…

@j_liljedahl @brambos @Hainbach

Comments

• @Kashi said:

Please help!
    Fluss (recorder) crashing when I open an existing AUM project. Weirdly, not all instances are crashing. Also Fluss (instrument) is a blank screen when I open it in some projects…
    This happened last week, so I quit AUM, shut down iPad and restarted…seemed to rectify the problem. This time however, upon reopening AUM, all the audio that was saved is gone. Really really annoying. I was opening this project to put some finishing touches to it before mixing it down for my next album, a vinyl release….and now it’s lost completely 😡 Now I’m reluctant to open any more projects in case I lose more stuff..
    Worth mentioning that Nambu also crashed on one occasion, so it might not be an issue with Fluss exclusively…

What else is loaded in your session that isn't shown? You might be pushing available memory.

• @espiegel123 , there were at least 2, maybe 3 more instances of Fluss that were all crashed too. But I'm not opening this project again, in case I lose the audio from the one instance of Fluss that didn't crash....

• @Kashi said:
    @espiegel123 , there were at least 2, maybe 3 more instances of Fluss that were all crashed too. But I'm not opening this project again, in case I lose the audio from the one instance of Fluss that didn't crash....

All instances of the same AUv3 load in the same memory space. If available memory is exceeded, all of the instances of the same AU will crash.

• If you'd like to share the AUM file I can have a look at it.

It's indeed possible that the memory allotted to the AUv3 has been exceeded (still impossible for a plugin to detect and prevent unfortunately) or perhaps a really obscure bug that rarely triggers. In the latter case I may be able to fix it.

Thanks!

• @brambos said:
    If you'd like to share the AUM file I can have a look at it.

It's indeed possible that the memory allotted to the AUv3 has been exceeded (still impossible for a plugin to detect and prevent unfortunately) or perhaps a really obscure bug that rarely triggers. In the latter case I may be able to fix it.

Thanks!

Thanks man. How do I share it?

• I had a few times a bug with loud noise from fluss, which is fixed only by a reboot. ipad 9gen aum

• edited January 2023

@KMTGN said:
    I had a few times a bug with loud noise from fluss, which is fixed only by a reboot. ipad 9gen aum

Same here 😓

Unable to reproduce it.
    iPad Pro 15.x

• @Kashi said:

@brambos said:

Thanks!

Zip the aum session file and dm to him. You can send zip files on the forum

• @Gavinski said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

Thanks!

Thanks @Gavinski . How would I go about that? Still finding iOS file management incredibly unintuitive...

• @Kashi said:

@Gavinski said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

Thanks!

Thanks @Gavinski . How would I go about that? Still finding iOS file management incredibly unintuitive...

1. Find the file under AUM in the Files app.
    2. Select, tap on the file.
    3. More, select Compress.

Easy!

• edited January 2023

Wow. That really was easy😆
    Thanks @uncledave
    Here, @brambos , would be really grateful if you could have a quick look….

• @espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

What else is loaded in your session that isn't shown? You might be pushing available memory.

A few other channels, but nothing too excessive... I'm surprised that it can't handle what I had open...I stopped using Tera Pro for example because unless I open it on it's own then it is just too cpu hungry..

• @Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

A few other channels, but nothing too excessive... I'm surprised that it can't handle what I had open...I stopped using Tera Pro for example because unless I open it on it's own then it is just too cpu hungry..

It’s (likely) not about CPU. iOS allots a maximum amount of memory to plugins, which differs per device and iOS version and can not be checked by the plugin. When you exceed this invisible barrier all instances of the plugin crash.

That’s why sample-based plugins are more likely to run into this problem: samples can get quite memory heavy.

I have addressed this artificial limitation to Apple many times, but unless they remove the limit there’s nothing plugin makers can do about it.

• @brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

It’s (likely) not about CPU. iOS allots a maximum amount of memory to plugins, which differs per device and iOS version and can not be checked by the plugin. When you exceed this invisible barrier all instances of the plugin crash.

That’s why sample-based plugins are more likely to run into this problem: samples can get quite memory heavy.

I have addressed this artificial limitation to Apple many times, but unless they remove the limit there’s nothing plugin makers can do about it.

OK cool. Appreciate you taking the time to engage with this @brambos . I will proceed with caution. Might be good practice to start bouncing stuff to audio sooner......
    Cheers!

• @Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

OK cool. Appreciate you taking the time to engage with this @brambos . I will proceed with caution. Might be good practice to start bouncing stuff to audio sooner......
    Cheers!

The file opens without issues here, so I can almost 100% certainly confirm it's the iOS memory limit problem.

The "solution" is not opening too many instances of Fluss at the same time. In this case you have 6 (?) instances open, so I'd recommend to try and stay at 4-5 max for that particular device/iOS combination.

Sorry, I can't do more than that unfortunately.

• @brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

The file opens without issues here, so I can almost 100% certainly confirm it's the iOS memory limit problem.

The "solution" is not opening too many instances of Fluss at the same time. In this case you have 6 (?) instances open, so I'd recommend to try and stay at 4-5 max for that particular device/iOS combination.

No problem man. Thanks for trying. Just to clarify; when you say it opens without issues, you mean that all instances of Fluss are opening, but there's no audio in them right?

• @Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

No problem man. Thanks for trying. Just to clarify; when you say it opens without issues, you mean that all instances of Fluss are opening, but there's no audio in them right?

The one in channel 6 has audio, the others don't.

• Hey, wait, in your original screenshot only one instance of Fluss has crashed, the others haven't. And it's the one right after Nambu. That's interesting. Could it be that Nambu crashed and output illegal audio data which dragged down Fluss along with it?

• @brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

Yes, ok. Was just hoping that somehow you had managed to salvage my lost audio!

@brambos said:
    Hey, wait, in your original screenshot only one instance of Fluss has crashed, the others haven't. And it's the one right after Nambu. That's interesting. Could it be that Nambu crashed and output illegal audio data which dragged down Fluss along with it?

Don't think so, because there were other instances of Fluss open that aren't in the screenshot - they crashed too, and they were to the left of Nambu...

• @Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

@brambos said:
    Hey, wait, in your original screenshot only one instance of Fluss has crashed, the others haven't. And it's the one right after Nambu. That's interesting. Could it be that Nambu crashed and output illegal audio data which dragged down Fluss along with it?

Don't think so, because there were other instances of Fluss open that aren't in the screenshot - they crashed too, and they were to the left of Nambu...

Right, in that case I think it's indeed most likely the RAM limitation I initially suspected.

• @brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

@brambos said:

Right, in that case I think it's indeed most likely the RAM limitation I initially suspected.

:)

• @Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

@brambos said:

Just a small suggestion here. You might have sent the file via a forum DM (just tap on the recipient's name to start). You can attach the file to the DM. So you don't have to share it with the world.

• @uncledave said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

@brambos said:

Just a small suggestion here. You might have sent the file via a forum DM (just tap on the recipient's name to start). You can attach the file to the DM. So you don't have to share it with the world.

Do you mean from a security point of view?

• @Kashi said:

@uncledave said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

@brambos said:

Yes. Just general privacy, since you really only intended to share it with Bram Bos.

• @uncledave said:

@Kashi said:

@uncledave said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@brambos said:

@Kashi said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

Please help!

Cheers!

@brambos said:

Yes. Just general privacy, since you really only intended to share it with Bram Bos.

Sure. I wasn't really thinking. Not that I would mind if anyone nabbed it and tried opening it.....They wouldn't find much! Have removed it now... Cheers