Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUDIOTHING | SPRINGS : Released! 1-Min Demo

Springs - Vintage Reverbs by AudioThing Ltd.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1662610743

Description:

Springs is a collection of vintage spring reverbs paired with an authentic Baxandall EQ emulation available as AUv3 and Standalone.
Springs features emulations from 17 types of spring reverbs, ranging from a long 6-spring pipe to a tiny battery-powered single-spring unit.
We have used a combination of convolution and modelling to recreate the vintage character of each reverb.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 12.0
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Acclaimed by many as the best software spring reverb emulation ever, Springs by Audiothing is finally out. Enjoy this little taster, posted with the permission of the dev. And yes - it drips!

https://youtube.com/shorts/kjwrrpmiEF4?feature=share
As this is a short, it is best viewed vertically. This really kicks in around the 24 second mark!

Comments

• So good, love spring reverbs.

• Excellent! Glad these are being released at a pace!

• @sevenape said:
    Excellent! Glad these are being released at a pace!

A bit fast! But at least intermingled with freebies!

• Doesn’t drip very much.. maybe just used at a subtle effect level?
    any chance of a demo 100% wet on a drum or percussion loop?
    ✌️

• @iamspoon said:
    Doesn’t drip very much.. maybe just used at a subtle effect level?
    ✌️

I will do a full demo. Don't worry, it drips. Google the gearspace reviews!

• This only used 2 presets. It has a ton of presets and a bunch of different spring reverb units, forget the exact number, but at least 10

• Cheers, looking forward to this one.

• I have this on desktop. It's a beauty.

• People absolutely rave about it. I can't remember ever reading such a universally positive thread on gearspace

• @Gavinski said:
    People absolutely rave about it. I can't remember ever reading such a universally positive thread on gearspace

Not that my opinion should carry too much weight, but I think I tried 7 or 8 others, along with various IR's, before settling on it as my favourite.

• Sweet. Can’t wait. Needed a good spring in my setup.

• @el_bo said:

@Gavinski said:
    People absolutely rave about it. I can't remember ever reading such a universally positive thread on gearspace

Not that my opinion should carry too much weight, but I think I tried 7 or 8 others, along with various IR's, before settling on it as my favourite.

I'm also no expert on spring reverbs 😂 - hence looking at what the gearspace ppl and other reviewers had to say. It's certainly highly thought-of, so you're in good company. Have to say also, I like the Audiothing dev. He's clearly very passionate about what he does, very knowledgeable, very engaged

• By the way, isn't the sound in the first part of the vid very drippy?

@iamspoon said:
    ✌️

• Sounds great to me. Can't wait to buy it!

• @iamspoon said:
    ✌️

Is this drippy enough for you, sir?

• Driptastic thank you :p

• Lovely! The pace is a bit quick of releases but I’ve been wanting these plug-ins on iOS so badly I’ll skip some meals for them

• edited January 2023

@el_bo said:

@Gavinski said:

I have to admit that I haven’t warmed up to it yet on desktop. Maybe it’s bang on the reverb tank past bias , but I prefer the spring reverb in Alborosie Dub Station and the Black Rooster (https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/products/ro-spr); to me Springs sounds a little boxy and restrained. This is a long way of asking which reverb tanks you like and why you prefer Springs… because I love everything else by AudioThings, so I figure I’m missing something.

• May single-handedly cause a big return of reggae rhythms here.

• @NeuM said:
    May single-handedly cause a big return of reggae rhythms here.

I did Google 'free dub loops' but didn't find any dry ones lol 😂

• is there a hit the box button?

• @sevenape said:
    is there a hit the box button?

Seems not, unless I missed it, but I don't think so

• edited January 2023

@mulletsaison said:

@el_bo said:

@Gavinski said:

I have to admit that I haven’t warmed up to it yet on desktop. Maybe it’s bang on the reverb tank past bias , but I prefer the spring reverb in Alborosie Dub Station and the Black Rooster (https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/products/ro-spr); to me Springs sounds a little boxy and restrained. This is a long way of asking which reverb tanks you like and why you prefer Springs… because I love everything else by AudioThings, so I figure I’m missing something.

I probably don't have the same frame-of-reference in terms of hands-on as you. I used to have springs in various guitar amps, but I used to hate them. Never been a fan of springs until I started listening to more dub stuff. But even then, I never had my hands on an actual hardware unit.

My favourites from 'Springs' are the GBS, RE-201 (Dark), RE-200, RV-1 and the Spacexpander. But with the various shaping/EQ options, I've no doubt I could find use for some of the others. I have demoed Alborosie (Twice, I believe). I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, but at the time I preferred to have much more in the way of options, and wanted dedicated spring and delay plugs (Delay for me comes from Replika XT and Softube Tape Echoes).

The Black Rooster was one I didn't try. But I think 'Springs' is my one-and-done. I preferred it (And it's been a while since I demoed them all, so I could be misremembering) because I found it to offer much more 'distinct' results than the others. I found a few to be a bit too dark and mushy (The Eventide and u-he, from memory), and a couple of others that seemed to be very well-suited to guitar, but not so much drums & perc. Springs offered perhaps more obvious sounds and differences, along with a wealth of shaping options.

So yeah, like I said...no real discernible 'ear'. And not that AT's offering isn't authentic, but my preference was to just go with what I liked, over any thoughts of authenticity. I can't really speak to "boxy and restrained", though. Perhaps if I was more familiar with real-world hardware boxes I might notice a lack.

• edited January 2023

Should we separate human music makers into those that can judge reverbs and those that can’t?.
    I’m in the 2nd category. I’m starting to think that I keep buying reverbs just because I respect the opinion of the likes of @el_bo , who through varios posts has become a reference of mine in spring reverbs.
    If I sat down and carefully A/B ‘d some reverb apps I could probably tell the difference, but they all sound great to me!. I’m so reverb-dumb that I usually choose “plate” cos it sounds cooler than room, and for the same reason I’ve always avoided “churches”.
    All to say, if @el_bo says Audiothing Spring “drips” me and my GAS are all in! 🤘

BTW I love the interface and design of this plugin. I find them relaxing to look at, sort of zen.

• edited January 2023

@tahiche said:
    Should we separate human music makers into those that can judge reverbs and those that can’t?.
    I’m in the 2nd category. I’m starting to think that I keep buying reverbs just because I respect the opinion of the likes of @el_bo , who through varios posts has become a reference of mine in spring reverbs.
    If I sat down and carefully A/B ‘d some reverb apps I could probably tell the difference, but they all sound great to me!. I’m so reverb-dumb that I usually choose “plate” cos it sounds cooler than room, and for the same reason I’ve always avoided “churches”.
    All to say, if @el_bo says Audiothing Spring “drips” me and my GAS are all in! 🤘

BTW I love the interface and design of this plugin. I find them relaxing to look at, sort of zen.

Well, there're definitely some who are master human music-makers who are also capable of discerning a hairs-breadth of detail between one reverb/delay/EQ/compressor etc. and another. Like you, though, I am not one of them.

On one hand, I do kinda aspire to have that kind of 'ear', but on the other hand it's a lot cheaper to not ;)

Apart from a couple of really obvious 'character' compressors I have (Speaking of desktop, here), I'm really a 'stock' plugins kinda guy. Delay is my biggest exception. But even then, with the exception of the Softube delay (I bought that on the strength of character alone) it almost always comes down to features/workflow.

But reverbs for me is definitely harder to tell. Unless I'm leaning into 2CA B2 for really crazy ambient goodness, or using reverb as an obvious 'statement', I tend to roll off a lot of lows and keep the 'mix' low. In that sense, any reverb will work.

Anyway, I hope your faith in my opinion won't lead you astray.

Might see if I can knock together a little audio-demo, running through the various 'Springs' models. Perhaps even re-download Alberosie to compare.

• For me it's more of a creative plugin for making strange sounds. But that doesn't stop it from being the best spring emulation ;)

• It’s based a combination of convolution and modeling, I think it’s the closest to real vintage spring reverbs as we can get at the fraction of the cost of these real units. It will definitely replace the spring section of Altispace for me. Alborosie Dub is something I look forward to as well, an recreation of the original King Tubby unit.