Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad OS 16.2 — good, bad, ugly?

Yesterday iPad OS 16.2 popped up, threatening to update itself on my new 2022 iPad Pro..

Any reason to hold off on this update? Anything new good about it?

Comments

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Yesterday iPad OS 16.2 has popped up, threatening to update itself on my new 2022 iPad Pro..

Any reason to hold off on this update? Anything new good about it?

Ask Doug on the next stream if he's bumped into any issues? :sunglasses:

I've been on iPadOS16 since it got released and it's been more or less a smooth ride.
    Initial 16.1 had some quirks but they got fixed in 16.2.

Next up is 16.2.1 in a few weeks time and later on (feb/march) 16.3...

• Also getting the update prompt. Any major (music) apps have compatibility issues? Or any apps at all? Cubasis problems? Thanks for any info...

• I have it, and so far so good. Nothing broken to report

• I don’t think it’s been very common at all for an iPadOS update to break anything, and usually they’re older apps.

Nothing that I can find has broken for me on iPadOS 16.2.

• Good to hear so far, thanks.

• Not seeing much change with 16.2 Stage manager on external display crashes at least once a day…but that’s not new

• Been running 16.2 since release, no issues.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• 100% fine so far. Will update here if that changes.

• The only thing I’ve found is that newly installed Auv3s do not always show up in Drambo straight away, necessitating a reboot or two! The word is that this is a long-standing Apple problem though, rather than being tied to any one version of iPadOS. In general, all my apps and plugins have been behaving perfectly 😀

• @carlcaulkett said:
    The only thing I’ve found is that newly installed Auv3s do not always show up in Drambo straight away, necessitating a reboot or two! The word is that this is a long-standing Apple problem though, rather than being tied to any one version of iPadOS. In general, all my apps and plugins have been behaving perfectly 😀

Yes, this is an issue that can happen in pretty much any version of iOS since about version 12.

• FYI, FWIW, I did the update several days ago and no issues so far.. Haven't done 16.3 yet.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    FYI, FWIW, I did the update several days ago and no issues so far.. Haven't done 16.3 yet.

As always… do a full backup of all devices before updating, just in case.

• edited January 2023

I am not sure it is because of 16.2 or a earlier version, but my Ibassist app doesn't pass sound through in AUM and Quantiloop. Ibassist only works stand alone.

I have a corporate Ipad and the update process is restricted, I have to wait a bit longer for 16.3.

• BenBen
    edited January 2023

Updated to 16.3 on my 2018 iPad Pro 11”.
    Any attempt to use more than one instance of Pure Platinum Synth in AUM crashes them both immediately.
    I’ve tried opening PS in the background first like we do with the IAA apps but no good.
    Anyone else getting this? Thanks in advance.

Just tried Klevgrand, Moog and Virsyn and all work with multiple instances.
    It’s just the Gospel Musicians apps. BASSalicious 2 crashed with 2 instances also.
    @GospelMusicians ?

• @NeuM said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    FYI, FWIW, I did the update several days ago and no issues so far.. Haven't done 16.3 yet.

Why exactly?
    You cannot go back anyways, or?

A backup could only help against major crashes or something with the update itself.
    Or what I am missing?

Thanks!

• @tja said:

@NeuM said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Why exactly?
    You cannot go back anyways, or?

A backup could only help against major crashes or something with the update itself.
    Or what I am missing?

Thanks!

You can do a reinstall from backup in case something goes catastrophically wrong with an update. More than once I wish I had done a full backup first.

• @Ben said:
    Any attempt to use more than one instance of Pure Platinum Synth in AUM crashes them both immediately.
    I’ve tried opening PS in the background first like we do with the IAA apps but no good.

It’s just the Gospel Musicians apps. BASSalicious 2 crashed with 2 instances also.
    @GospelMusicians ?

You’re not the first person I’ve heard mention the lates version of Pure synth Paltinum is buggy with.

• @Ben said:

@GospelMusicians ?

I see exactly the same on iPad 6, iPadOS 16.3. Simply loading the second instance of PSP causes them both to fail. It seems to trigger a SIGKILL due to an attempt to close a guarded file descriptor. They'll need to fix that. BTW, opening the app stand-alone will not help or hurt the AUv3.

• Thanks for the responses.
    Good to know I’m not alone.
    Misery loves company, right?
    I was just getting reacquainted with PS too. I’m sure they’ll get it sorted.

• edited January 2023

Not music related, but I recently discovered that the iOS 16 update broke Comic Zeal, which has been the #1 comic book reading app for many years. Apparently, Comic Zeal had been abandoned from updates for many years and was getting buggy, but was still functional. Then iOS 16 sent it to an instant death. This meant that I had to delete my entire comic collection that I spent years assembling and neatly organizing since my first iPad in 2013. I've had to seek out a replacement app. So far I'm testing Smart Comic Reader ($1.99). Not as good as Comic Zeal, but best alternative I've found so far, and it seems to be recently actively supported and updated.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Not music related, but I recently discovered that the iOS 16 update broke Comic Zeal, which has been the #1 comic book reading app for many years. Apparently, Comic Zeal had been abandoned from updates for many years and was getting buggy, but was still functional. Then iOS 16 sent it to an instant death. This meant that I had to delete my entire comic collection that I spent years assembling and neatly organizing since my first iPad in 2013. I've had to seek out a replacement app. So far I'm testing Smart Comic Reader ($1.99). Not as good as Comic Zeal, but best alternative I've found so far, and it seems to be recently actively supported and updated.

From all I tried, I only like those:

YACReader:
    https://apps.apple.com/app/yacreader-comic-reader/id635717885

Chunky:
    https://apps.apple.com/app/chunky-comic-reader/id663567628

But I am on 15.7.2

• @tja said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

From all I tried, I only like those:

YACReader:
    https://apps.apple.com/app/yacreader-comic-reader/id635717885

Chunky:
    https://apps.apple.com/app/chunky-comic-reader/id663567628

But I am on 15.7.2

Thanks. I have to say I'm having an EXCELLENT experience with Smart Comic Reader support. The developer responded right away to my email and pushed out a new version which addressed my issue within days! One of the best experience I've ever had w/ app support! Big thumbs up for Smart Comic Reader. Great developer! Great support!

• @Lady_App_titude said:

Thanks. I have to say I'm having an EXCELLENT experience with Smart Comic Reader support. The developer responded right away to my email and pushed out a new version which addressed my issue within days! One of the best experience I've ever had w/ app support! Big thumbs up for Smart Comic Reader. Great developer! Great support!

I had Smart Comic Reader installed, as I tested lots.
    But for some reason, I deleted all but the 2 above.

Cannot tell what I disliked or missed with SCR, so I installed it again and will test it again when I read the next comic!

• tjatja
    edited January 2023

@Lady_App_titude I tested all three against each other and for me, YACReader is the king!

It has the most options and gives the best reading experience and offers the most import options.

For me, it has the most readable and stable panel selection and display!

Also it offers full page views before and / or after watching a page panel by panel, which is very important to me.
    And in addition, you can also watch details from a whole page that has no panels - full screen from top to bottom, as if there were 3 panels or so (if that is an understandable description)

Going to delete both other Apps...

• edited January 2023

@tja said:
    @Lady_App_titude I tested all three against each other and for me, YACReader is the king!

It has the most options and gives the best reading experience and offers the most import options.

Also it offers full page views before and / or after watching a page panel by panel, which is very important to me.
    And in addition, you can also watch details from a whole page that has no panels - full screen from top to bottom, as if there were 3 panels or so (if that is an understandable description)

I'm not sure I understand the features you describe. Most important thing for me is AirDrop support. Does it work well with Airdrop? Other than that, being able to easily organize and move things around by title (folders) would be the next most important thing for me. With Comic Zeal, if you upload a title for which there is an existing folder, it would automatically get sent to that folder.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@tja said:

I'm not sure I understand the features you describe. Most important thing for me is AirDrop support. Does it work well with Airdrop? Other than that, being able to easily organize and move things around by title (folders) would be the next most important thing for me. With Comic Zeal, if you upload a title for which there is an existing folder, it would automatically get sent to that folder.

I cannot describe the features better, sorry.

AirDrop .... is a difficult question:

I tested with between 2 iPads.
    One of them has several comic or ebook readers installed, the other only YACReader.
    When airdropping, the first offers a list of Apps for opening the comic in - but YACReader is not listed here.
    When trying the other way, nothing get's offered, but instead OneDrive will be opened - most probably, because I shared from OneDrive.
    So it seems, that YACReader does not offer this for some reason - I always thought that the App only needs to be registered for a file ending. But this was always buggy for me - I never understood what Apple is doing here.

You did not mention Comic Zeal yet, or?
    I did not test this .... and it costs a bit too much just to test it.
    While it looks good from the description, it has a rating of 2.6 stars in my country - which may be relevant or not.
    YACReader has 4.8 stars.

What I am missing from all readers I ever tested is, that comics can be opened from any location reachable over Document Provider / Files App!

I DON'T want the comics to be imported - they are already available in such a Document Provider!
    Why import them?!?
    I also never understood the same for music Apps - play from any location without importing first ;-)

• @tja said:

You did not mention Comic Zeal yet, or?
    I did not test this .... and it costs a bit too much just to test it.
    While it looks good from the description, it has a rating of 2.6 stars in my country - which may be relevant or not.
    YACReader has 4.8 stars.

Scroll back. Comic Zeal is the whole reason I even mentioned comic book reader apps. This is a thread about the iOS 16 update, which has so far had no major consequences for me except that it TOTALLY KILLS Comic Zeal! So definitely DO NOT try Comic Zeal, it is DOA w/ iOS 16.

The reason it has low ratings is because it was apparently abandoned for updates years ago. But it was once the top comic book reader, and in fact the ONLY comic reader I've used all these years. But I recently updated from an iPad Air 1 (which maxed out at iOS12, so I was unaware that the app was abandonware). Then since I got my new iPad Pro, one of the first things I noticed was that Comic Zeal was buggy, but still functional. Then when I did the iOS 16 update, it finally died completely (it crashes on launch).

Thus, the whole reason I brought up any of this was to warn anybody using Comic Zeal, and to search for a suitable replacement.

• @tja said:
    I cannot describe the features better, sorry.

No worries, don't bother. But it sounds like it has to do with zooming in on a panel and then zooming back, which hasn't really been that important for me so far w/ a 12.9 in iPad. But maybe on a phone -- which I haven't tried yet. Smart Comic Reader is supposed to have some gesture system for that but I haven't really looked into it yet.

AirDrop .... is a difficult question:

Yes, the main red flag for me with YACReader is that AirDrop is not listed as an option. AirDrop is one of the best kept secrets of the Apple ecosystem. Most people -- including myself for a long time! -- don't even know about it. But once you discover it ... It is really the most efficient way of transferring files between Apple devices. You can use other methods, Cloud, Files, Dropbox, etc., but more steps are involved.

Originally when I started using Comic Zeal back in the ancient past, the only option was iTunes File Sharing. AirDrop made life SO much easier! You just drag it into the AirDrop window, a dialog appears on the iPad, and then you choose Open With [comic reader app], and bang, done, there in your app.

I tested with between 2 iPads.
    One of them has several comic or ebook readers installed, the other only YACReader.
    When airdropping, the first offers a list of Apps for opening the comic in - but YACReader is not listed here.
    When trying the other way, nothing get's offered, but instead OneDrive will be opened - most probably, because I shared from OneDrive.
    So it seems, that YACReader does not offer this for some reason - I always thought that the App only needs to be registered for a file ending. But this was always buggy for me - I never understood what Apple is doing here.

I never transfer files between iPads. My comic collection is on computer and I transfer them to the iPad for reading. When I first tried SCR last week, there was an issue w/ AirDrop. It was because a comic reader I had on the MAC (Simple Comic) was somehow preventing SCR from popping up as an "open with" option on the iPad. But I wrote to the developer and he pushed out an update just for me two days later!! Amazing! Now it works perfectly! This was one of the main things I was looking for in a Comic Zeal replacement, active support and development. Don't want to have to delete my whole collection and start over with a new app anytime again soon. :#

What I am missing from all readers I ever tested is, that comics can be opened from any location reachable over Document Provider / Files App!

I DON'T want the comics to be imported - they are already available in such a Document Provider!
    Why import them?!?
    I also never understood the same for music Apps - play from any location without importing first ;-)

Yes, I'm the opposite. Old School, maybe. But I want my comics stored LOCAL on the iPad so I can read away from WiFi. The first thing I did when I got SCR was to disable cloud options so the comics would be stored on the iPad. I've always walked around with like 4 GBs of comics on my iPad. After music apps, and photos, the biggest source of local storage on my iPad. :*

• Thanks for the explanation, @Lady_App_titude

• Hi,
    Could someone that still has FLUX:FX on his iPad and that has made the move to iPadOS 16.3 tell me if it's broken or not ? Thanks B)