Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What do these donut variants mean in LP?

I'm used to seeing Loopy Pro's donuts as 2 concentric circles, optionally with an audio track squiggle, or highlighted if selected / active. I somehow managed to get the ones below to look different: single circle (top 3 rows), and filled concentric circle (bottom row). What state or mode do these donuts variants represent? Any idea what configs I might have hit to do this?

Comments

• @des1303 said:
    I'm used to seeing Loopy Pro's donuts as 2 concentric circles, optionally with an audio track squiggle, or highlighted if selected / active. I somehow managed to get the ones below to look different: single circle (top 3 rows), and filled concentric circle (bottom row). What state or mode do these donuts variants represent? Any idea what configs I might have hit to do this?

Did you perhaps record silence into those two accidentally? They look like play-enabled clips with silence in them.

What happens if you tap them when they are playing?

• edited January 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@des1303 said:

Did you perhaps record silence into those two accidentally? They look like play-enabled clips with silence in them.

What happens if you tap them when they are playing?

When play is on, I hear nothing and am unable to unselect them. When play is off, if I tap them a zero-ish audio squiggle appears, and I am now able to CLEAR the audio and the clip resets to a single (non-donut) unfilled purple circle.

The purple group has Retrospective enabled. When clock is running & I tap on an empty unfilled purple it switches to the filled unresponsive one, with no retrospective capture recorded.

• You can clear them by tapping the clear icon then tapping the clips.

• edited January 2023

@espiegel123 said:
    You can clear them by tapping the clear icon then tapping the clips.

Not sure what "clear icon" you mean.

Do you know what the single circle loop & my weird filled-purple loop are supposed to represent, if anything?

Would maxing out Master to 32 bars for retrospective cause this problem?

Appreciate you trying to help !!

• @des1303 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    You can clear them by tapping the clear icon then tapping the clips.

Not sure what "clear icon" you mean.

Do you know what the single circle loop & my weird filled-purple loop are supposed to represent, if anything?

Would maxing out Master to 32 bars for retrospective cause this problem?

Appreciate you trying to help !!

I believe that those two filled circles are clips that you recorded silence into. They are 'filled' because they are play enabled. Normally, they would show a waveform but they probably have silence. So, there is no audio to show.

If the master is 32 measures, it is possible that that exceeds the amount of memory that it can allocate and so that it resulting in the situation.

The clear clip icon is the one that looks like an x with a circle around it. If you tap it, tapping a clip, clears it.

• Looks like they’re muted loops with silence recorded.

• @supadom said:
    Looks like they’re muted loops with silence recorded.

Muted loops are displayed dimmed. These look like they are full brightness and in play mode, but silent.

• @espiegel123 said:
    If the master is 32 measures, it is possible that that exceeds the amount of memory that it can allocate and so that it resulting in the situation.

Wow. I think this was it, it does not happen at 16 or fewer measures. Just recently bought my 5th gen iPad Pro M1 256G, I did not expect this. Did not even think of checking on RAM capacity. Ugh!

Thanks for the help.

• @des1303 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Wow. I think this was it, it does not happen at 16 or fewer measures. Just recently bought my 5th gen iPad Pro M1 256G, I did not expect this. Did not even think of checking on RAM capacity. Ugh!

Thanks for the help.

The way that retrospective recording works is that there may be a buffer for every clip you can record into (because you might have several input sources at once) (or maybe it is a retro buffer per input source or color -- in any case more than one recording before is involved and 32 measures can be a significant amount of time).

Try rebooting your device and see what happens. Sometimes more ram is available to apps after a reboot than if it has been running for a while.

• Reboot did not help :-(

Michael had said elsewhere July '22

@Michael said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Perhaps a question for @Michael - is there any significant cumulative cost to having multiple loops sitting in retrospective recording state, or is there minimal overhead as we are just maintaining the single master cycle buffer which gets dumped from as needed? I was thinking along the lines of having multiple “best take” loops which might later be combined into a “best of all the best takes” using an audio editor.

Nope, no additional cost - in fact no additional cost compared to not having retro on, as there’s always a buffer going. And it’s just one buffer

Based on that I did not expect to run out of retrospective buffer space on such a new iPad with nothing else running. Also not sure how that relates to your buffer analysis.

• edited January 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Muted loops are displayed dimmed. These look like they are full brightness and in play mode, but silent.

Any idea what the single circle display (non-donut) represents for an empty loop, vs. a donut empty loop?

• At 120 bpm, 32 measures is just over a minute. So, if > @des1303 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Any idea what the single circle display (non-donut) represents for an empty loop, vs. a donut empty loop?

That donut on the right is simply an unrecorded completely empty loop. At some donut sizes, that central hub isn't drawn. It doesn't mean anything. If you had fewer donuts on the page, you would see them -- also when you show the mixer it changes the zoom scale. So, sometimes it isn't drawn.

• Thanks!> @espiegel123 said:

At 120 bpm, 32 measures is just over a minute. So, if > @des1303 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

That donut on the right is simply an unrecorded completely empty loop. At some donut sizes, that central hub isn't drawn. It doesn't mean anything. If you had fewer donuts on the page, you would see them -- also when you show the mixer it changes the zoom scale. So, sometimes it isn't drawn.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

Not what I see.
    In the screenshot the doughnuts are definitely dimmer than the full brightness of the track colours at the bottom as well as in the screenshot you’ve provided. Those tracks are muted.