Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy in INPUT, MultiDAW in OUTPUT. I need the possibility to record all loops in separate levels.

edited December 2012 in Feature Wishlists

Need the possibility to set in MtDAW how loop of Loopy recording in one on more tracks/level.

Comments

• I believe you can only assign one input to one output stream right now. Meaning, you can't assign multiple streams from one app (Loopy) to multiple tracks in MT. That's my understanding anyway.

• I'd love this feature as well, but right now it's no can do.

• edited December 2012

@boone51

Not with Loopy. You can send all 12 tracks into Multitrack Daw separately by picking the individual outputs in Loopy at the input stage. However the feature is a liittle bug ridden at the moment as you need to start Loopy before you start Audiobus, then you are able to select each individual Loopy output on the input stage and when you create an instance of Multitrack DAW on the output stage it will automatically create each recording channel for you. Very tasty indeed.

@Sinapsya

Once Multitack DAW has created each individual channel you are then able to pre-process your recording with any of Mutitrack DAW''s effects including levels, panning etc. However as a best practice you should aim to record everything in any multitrack environment with plenty of headroom so your levels LEDs should ideally peak at just over the 50% level. That way you leave plenty of space for combined levels and any post processing. This will ensure that your final output doesn't suffer with any nasty digital clipping.

As a side note you can use this feature to build multi app live mixes with basic EQ and panning (ensuring each instrument has it's own clear space in the mix) without recording the output. Great if you have an iPad 4 which can handle quite a few concurrent input nodes.

The one caveat to all this is that the FX slot can't be allocated to each individual input slot at the moment but according to Sebastian that capability is built into the system for future implementation.

Hope this helps.

JM

http://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble

• Interesting, JM! Where's the option in Loopy for this?

• @Michael_R_Grant

It's not an option in Loopy but if you open Loopy before you open Audiobus you'll notice a blue button with an arrow on the right hand side of the insert interface which will allow you to insert all or any individual channel. Just repeat the process until you have all the channels you require before opening Multitrack DAW for recording. Very slick process indeed.

• I figured out how to set up all my Loopy tracks to land on separate MultiTrack Daw tracks (or rails, as MT Daw refers to them), pretty much by trial and error. What I haven't figured out is how to synchronize Loopy's play start with MT Daw's record start. As a result, I end up having to trim and realign regions. Can anyone direct me to that answer?

• MTDaw would need to implement a 'start recording on receiving a MIDI play message'. I guess I could talk with its developer about it...

• From what I understand the developer of Multitrack DAW is planning to implement basic midi clock stuff into his app (read this on the Multitrack DAW forum).

Until he does that, you can set up a loop on MTT and manually trigger Loopy(or any other sound source for that matter). This is obviously not the tightest from a timing perspective but its great for rapidly prototyping ideas and works great as scratchpad.

• It looks like this procedure gives you a maximum of 3 loopy tracks by inserting 3 copies of Loopy into the input section of Audiobus. I tried it and did see 3 tracks of loopy in Multitrack DAW, but I don't see how to get more than three tracks.

--Adam

jonmoorejonmoore December 21

@Michael_R_Grant

It's not an option in Loopy but if you open Loopy before you open Audiobus you'll notice a blue button with an arrow on the right hand side of the insert interface which will allow you to insert all or any individual channel. Just repeat the process until you have all the channels you require before opening Multitrack DAW for recording. Very slick process indeed.

• Apologies for any miscommunication. Audiobus only allows three channels at any one time but on each occasion the integration wih Multitrack DAW makes the process of recording multiple individual channels a simple one.

• It sounds like it is working fine for you, but I am not able to reproduce it. When selecting an input for Loopy HD and Multitrack DAW is the output, I see the arrow icon that allows me to select either combined system output (which is one mixed track) or any single individual track. The only way I can see to select multiple separate tracks of Loopy in Multitrack is to create multiple instances of Loopy (up to 3) as inputs. I tried loading Loopy prior to opening Audiobus, but there was no difference. Once I go into the input submenu to select "Track 1", I don't see how I can go back and then select "Track 2". Is there an option trick to do this that you are seeing and I am not?

Thanks tons :-)

--Adam