Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What do you like to sample?

Just wanted to check out the kind of things people like to sample, personally I stay away from songs or parts of songs unless they are reasonably obscure, like old library music. I do use the odd sample pack, but mostly I like to sample within the iOS ecosystem, me playing synths and stuff like that, also I sample a lot of synth demos from youtube, especially esoteric stuff , DIY synths and no input mixing noises.

I like to sample...
  1. Music/ published or otherwise43 votes
    1. Noises, fieldscapes and foley sounds I find
      39.53%
    2. myself... ooer
      18.60%
    3. sample packs
        9.30%
    4. synth demos and youtube ephemera
        9.30%
    5. other
      20.93%
    6. Shut up Daniel.
        2.33%

Comments

• balls, I forgot a poll thing for actual songs published or otherwise...

• Mostly just noodles in AUM that then get chopped in koala

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Mostly just noodles in AUM that then get chopped in koala

this is my main source too!

• Old movies and radio shows in public domain on the Internet Archive. Tons of good stuff to find there.

• I like to sample the noises I make in Reaktor and more recently - the Puremagnetik plugins.
    Before that it was sampling hardware like Eurorack, Nord Modular, Microwave XT, FS1r, K5000r, etc.

• FUNK. And jazz. And public domain stuff

• I only use sampling to capture synths I like from desktop, or sometimes on iOS when I want to offload a large rompler type app but keep the presets I like. These end up as soundfonts so they can be used from that point forwards on all my devices.

• I made a whole song from a fart I sampled one time. I probably wouldn’t do it again though

• @MadeofWax said:
    Old movies and radio shows in public domain on the Internet Archive. Tons of good stuff to find there.

that’s cool! where to you find public domain stuff like that ?

• @eross said:

@MadeofWax said:
    Old movies and radio shows in public domain on the Internet Archive. Tons of good stuff to find there.

Oh I just re-red what you typed. the Internet Archive web site.
    what do you search for to find good sources to sample?
    is everything on there public domain and open to be used freely?

• @eross said:

@eross said:

@MadeofWax said:

I’d watch out for any music like in a movie, I’m not sure about the laws on original scores but the dialogue and ambience is free game

• petit fours, cold cuts, and crazy talk

• r/vintageobscura, r/samplesforall

• edited January 2023

@eross said:

@eross said:

@MadeofWax said:

I like the old sci-fi and horror stuff, personally. As far as public domain rights go not everything is the same. And some things fall under a different license. Some are Creative Commons, others not. The information is usually listed on the individual files page. If there's ever a question I try to err on the side of caution.

• Very often things I have played on instruments myself.

• I like sampling things out in nature or just around where I live. Banging on rocks and trees to make my own percussion samples, scraping ice for cymbals, etc. Sometimes just recording the sound of cars passing over a distant bridge can sound interesting when you play them out of context.

• @Tarekith said:
    I like sampling things out in nature or just around where I live. Banging on rocks and trees to make my own percussion samples, scraping ice for cymbals, etc. Sometimes just recording the sound of cars passing over a distant bridge can sound interesting when you play them out of context.

What mic do you use for this Tarekith?

• Currently a Sony PCM-A10, which is a brilliant little stereo mic but currently very hard to find online for some reason.

• I was looking for the anything and everything selection. If an odd, unusual, unique noise catches my ear I try to capture it. Sometimes I use em sometimes they just sit there.

Last week I sampled metal paper towel holders attached to a brick wall. Without the roll if you flick the metal it has this really interesting growl.

• I put other only because it Could be anything, radio, YouTube, sure… birds chirping or wind, why not, paper towel brackets, I like it. Lol.

• @CracklePot said:
    Ice cream

Lol, Would that be the mixing of ingredients, the churning machinery, the scooping into a cone, the licking and eating or the drop’s melting and hitting the ground? Jk.

• .> @Poppadocrock said:

@CracklePot said:
    Ice cream

Lol, Would that be the mixing of ingredients, the churning machinery, the scooping into a cone, the licking and eating or the drop’s melting and hitting the ground? Jk.

He likes to sample himself screaming.

• @sevenape said:
    balls

Ah, so that's what you like to sample.

🤣 (Joking, joking.)

Me, I voted "noises, fieldscapes, and foley sounds". Especially when I'm making Ambient or adding a background to one of my Lofi EPs (or in the case of "Lounging in Another World", crafting Ambient to utilise as background fodder for the EP). I also use sample packs for drums, my favourites being "The Lofi Box" and "Superdrums 8000" from Imageline, and "The Infinity Kit" from Tsunamiaudio.com (if you follow Ocean on Youtube, you know damn well what samples these are. ;) ).

• @Poppadocrock said:

@CracklePot said:
    Ice cream

That would make a great Hainbach video. 😆

• @CracklePot said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@CracklePot said:
    Ice cream

That would make a great Hainbach video. 😆

Totally tagging @Hainbach and see what he says! 😂

• edited January 2023

I think Hainbach would have a piezo mic held against the glass of ice cream that had just been removed from the freezer.
    [Meanwhile, we see images of the sky along with some architecture]

• I like to sample everything, but my favorite is obscure spoken word / acapellas. Its a serious challenge finding cool stuff that hasn’t already been used.

• @josephlarson said:
    Sampling can be used in a variety of ways, from recreating an entire song to using a short sound clip to create a new melody or beat. Producers often sample classic soul, funk, and jazz records to create the foundation of their beats, while DJs may sample live instruments or other musical elements to add new elements to their performances.

One of the benefits of sampling is that it allows musicians and producers to incorporate elements from a wide range of musical styles and genres into their own work. This can result in unique and innovative compositions that draw from a diverse range of musical influences.

In addition, sampling can also be a way for musicians to pay homage to their musical heroes and influences. By using samples from classic recordings, they can create new compositions that are inspired by the sounds of the past.

Overall, sampling is a versatile and creative technique that has been used by many artists to create new and exciting music. Whether you're a hip-hop producer, electronic musician, or simply a fan of creative and innovative music, sampling is a practice that is definitely worth exploring.

Chat gpt generated answer alert, lol

• All of the above!
    👍😎