Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which Synths can create Binaural beats Brainwave Entrainment music?

In this video I demonstrate an experimental way to create binaural beats with Digitalism 2000.
I would love to know what other synths can do this, and perhaps a few tips on how to do this with other synths?

Comments

• If I recall correctly, I think PaulXStretch has the option to create binaural beats in any recording you stretch in it. It's free.

• wimwim
    edited December 2022

Any synth with two sine wave generators independently tunable in hz and panning controls for each can generate binaural beats. You just need to pan one hard-left and the other hard-right, then tune one above or below the other the number of hz beat that you want. Both oscillators should be below 1500 hz or the effect will be less noticeable. Headphones are required, of course.

Drambo is great for this. Two instances of the oscillator AU that comes with iVCS3. miRack. I'm sure there are others - although not a lot of synths have individual panning on each oscillator, which is a must.

I'm pretty sure one could make a instrument in Drambo that would tune the oscillators from a single hz selector knob.

I think imma give that a try. Hold my beer...

[edit] nvm. Brain too fried after 11 hour work day. 🥱

Here's a simple example without a fancy knob. I just double-tap the oscillators to type in a frequency. This example is giving a 10Hz Alpha beat.

• @wim said:
    Any synth with two sine wave generators independently tunable in hz and panning controls for each can generate binaural beats. You just need to pan one hard-left and the other hard-right, then tune one above or below the other the number of hz beat that you want. Both oscillators should be below 1500 hz or the effect will be less noticeable.

Drambo is great for this. Two instances of the oscillator AU that comes with iVCS3. miRack. I'm sure there are others - although not a lot of synths have individual panning on each oscillator, which is a must.

I'm pretty sure one could make a instrument in Drambo that would tune the oscillators from a single hz selector knob.

I think imma give that a try. Hold my beer...

Dang it! I should've known "Drambo" was the answer. 😆

• Yeah PaulXStretch has this ability built in and is free and easy to use. Otherwise, as mentioned, using 2 instances of any synth is another option. You could set a very slow lfo to change the Hz interval over time if you want to 'entrain' over time to your target frequency

• Seems like a reasonable place to put this link:

http://www.lunarsight.com/freq.htm

Def read the intro and disclaimers, but a well presented list nonetheless.

• @Kewe_Esse said:
    Seems like a reasonable place to put this link:

Def read the intro and disclaimers, but a well presented list nonetheless.

Hardly science-based though…

• @michael_m said:

Hardly science-based though…

Indeed, ymmv.

• There is an iOS synth for that: BB-17. Here are two cuts I made with it.

Two channels of BB17; one of Model 15 playing the solo:

Two channels BB17; one with Shoom:

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    There is an iOS synth for that: BB-17. Here are two cuts I made with it.

Two channels of BB17; one of Model 15 playing the solo:

Two channels BB17; one with Shoom:

Unfortunately, it is no longer available in the App Store. Damn.
    It’s also no longer in my purchased apps. Double damn.

It would be perfect, though.

• The Psychotropic IAP in Model 15 contains patches that sound like they use this programming technique, or something related. I used one of those patches for the solo part in the first jam in my post above.

• Thanks for all the great feedback. I will try some of these methods out to see which is easiest and most flexible to implement.

• FWIW, my completely subjective and admittedly un-scientific take on binaural beats is that they do work ... for me. I'm a very skeptical person when it comes to this kind of thing. But I found the idea interesting enough to spend a few $$ to try the Brainwave app out. I was surprised to find positive results - particularly with the sleep inducing and mind clearing programs, but also to mild extents with programs to increase focus and boost mood.

The Deep Sleep program is amazing. It seldom fails that I realize the program must have quit for some reason a few minutes in ... only to find that I've been crashed for hours.

In bed I use it with a sleep mask with built-in low profile bluetooth speakers that is fairly comfortable.

• @wim said:
    FWIW, my completely subjective and admittedly un-scientific take on binaural beats is that they do work ... for me. I'm a very skeptical person when it comes to this kind of thing. But I found the idea interesting enough to spend a few $$ to try the Brainwave app out. I was surprised to find positive results - particularly with the sleep inducing and mind clearing programs, but also to mild extents with programs to increase focus and boost mood.

The Deep Sleep program is amazing. It seldom fails that I realize the program must have quit for some reason a few minutes in ... only to find that I've been crashed for hours.

In bed I use it with a sleep mask with built-in low profile bluetooth speakers that is fairly comfortable.

I’m pretty sure that it’s documented that it works for sleep if the frequencies fall in a certain range. Not sure it works for any of the other things on the sometimes long lists of benefits, but for sleep it apparently does work.

• wimwim
    edited December 2022

I feel like I’ve had mild positive results for stress reduction, focus, concentration, and mood boost. But that could be psycho somatic.

I forget if it worked for memory boost.

• What about isochronic tones? They have the advantage of not needing headphones, anyone experimented with those?

• @wim said:
    I feel like I’ve had mild positive results for stress reduction, focus, concentration, and mood boost. But that could be psycho somatic.

I forget if it worked for memory boost.

:lol:

• Some time ago, as theatre tech on a fringe goth-horror production, I had the opportunity to build in binaural beats into a 5min-ish sound design.

It was interesting to watch the audience from the back of the theatre, it was quite evident their behaviour cohered during that scene. You could see their heads all tracking together, following the actions on stage, kind of nodding along as one…

I get that in a theatre environment, where you control the heating, lighting, sound, action in a deterministic way, you’d expect to command audience attention like that, but it was a really marked effect in that one section.

Not a scientific experiement, so not really any proof of anything, but I’m sure the subjective intensity of that scene was enhanced by the use of subliminal beat entrainment.

On a personal level, I’ve used headphones to enter trance states, why not? It’s an easy technique to play with. Can’t report any concrete findings, that’s simply not in the remit of personal ‘consciousness expansion’ and besides, I got no way of assigning data points to states of mind.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    If I recall correctly, I think PaulXStretch has the option to create binaural beats in any recording you stretch in it. It's free.

I grabbed PaulxStretch looks cool will have to make some music with it and check it out.

• @Kewe_Esse said:

Thank you, that list of filled with lots of great info. Awesome starting point for experimental exploration

• @Optahealth said:

@Kewe_Esse said:

Thank you, that list of filled with lots of great info. Awesome starting point for experimental exploration

No probs, good luck translating anything into a finished piece!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    If I recall correctly, I think PaulXStretch has the option to create binaural beats in any recording you stretch in it. It's free.

I had no idea. I'll be looking for that now.

• @Gavinski said:
    What about isochronic tones? They have the advantage of not needing headphones, anyone experimented with those?

I've not even heard of them. But it seems I need to know about them, thanks for the vid link @Gavinski!