Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo and Loopy Pro thread

Loopy Pro and Drambo seem made for each other. I though we might have a thread dedicated to using them together. Tips, tricks, ideas etc.

I’ve never gotten into Drambo, since I like to grab audio loops for arrangement, but now it works so well with LP I’m totally getting into it.

First question: what’s a good resource to learn Drambo basics, for newcomers? Especially any AU-related tricks.

Comments

• Tip 1: I’m using Drambo to sequence other AUs in LP.

Load a normal instance of Drambo as an audio input. Then, in Drambo, load up the MIDI sequencer template. This sets the output of track one to MIDI ch 1, etc.

Then, you can point Drambo’s midi at any other AU to sequence it. One instance of Drambo can sequence 8 AUs this way. In this example, I tap the cog icon in Model D’s window, and choose Drambo as a MIDI source. You can limit this connection to a single MIDI channel.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Tip 1: I’m using Drambo to sequence other AUs in LP.

Load a normal instance of Drambo as an audio input. Then, in Drambo, load up the MIDI sequencer template. This sets the output of track one to MIDI ch 1, etc.

Then, you can point Drambo’s midi at any other AU to sequence it. One instance of Drambo can sequence 8 AUs this way. In this example, I tap the cog icon in Model D’s window, and choose Drambo as a MIDI source. You can limit this connection to a single MIDI channel.

Heads up just in case… I had a problem that I reported at the beta forum where you couldn’t set more than 1 instrument to the same midi source. That is, after assigning Drambo source from Model D here, opening up another synth and doing the same. The previous source assignment would be removed.
    If this happens, just do it the other way around from the mixer. Go to Drambo midi channel and set your different synths as destinations. I don’t know if it’s resolved, as it should work in both workflows, @espiegel123 pointed me to the “mixer” alternative method.

• @mistercharlie said:
    First question: what’s a good resource to learn Drambo basics, for newcomers? Especially any AU-related tricks.

For starters, there's a huge collection of YouTube videos by Ben Richards, aka @bcrichards . You need to scroll down a bit, but there's a lot of 'em.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Tip 1: I’m using Drambo to sequence other AUs in LP.

So app switching is a solution?

• edited March 2022

Hi all, looking to if it’s possible to live sample from USB1+2 into Loopy Pro when it is hosted inside Drambo as an AU. All I’m able to see is the MIC input icon. I’ve added an Audio input module and can hear Audio from my external hardware (Digitakt), but can’t find a way to get that audio in Loopy Pro. Is it possible?

• edited March 2022

@kryten42 said:
    Hi all, looking to if it’s possible to live sample from USB1+2 into Loopy Pro when it is hosted inside Drambo as an AU. All I’m able to see is the MIC input icon. I’ve added an Audio input module and can hear Audio from my external hardware (Digitakt), but can’t find a way to get that audio in Loopy Pro. Is it possible?

Make sure you add a Audio Source module before your LoopyPro module and set it to your AudioInterface.

It’s located under Misc/Util modules:

Doing this will then allow you to route your incoming audio signal to LoopyPro

You should be able to disable the Mic channel in LP

• @kryten42 said:

The mic icon doesn't mean mic...it means audio input. Loopy as an AU sees whatever audio you route to it from the host. Route audio into the Loopy AU from Drambo and it will receive it. So, make sure that you have routed the audio from your interface to the AU within Drambo. An AU only sees the audio you route to it.

• Ah, thank your for you quick replies gents.

I was close and on the right tracks, but I had loaded Loopy Pro as a generator instead of processor 🤦🏼

Now to hook up some scenes similar to Octatrack. Happy days.

• @kryten42 said:
    Ah, thank your for you quick replies gents.

I was close and on the right tracks, but I had loaded Loopy Pro as a generator instead of processor 🤦🏼

Now to hook up some scenes similar to Octatrack. Happy days.

Let the happy happy joy joy magick time begin👊🏼💕™️

• edited March 2022

Fwiw, one thing i love to do is capture lots of loops in LoopyPro, then export the Loops to import into FlexiSampler so i can do my slicing explores. Sometimes i also play layered loops in LP and record straight to a FlexiSampler if i want a more layered sample to mangle.

Nothing beats the perfect loop nature of LoopyPro inside of Drambo imho.

• edited June 2022

@mistercharlie said:
    Loopy Pro and Drambo seem made for each other. I though we might have a thread dedicated to using them together. Tips, tricks, ideas etc.

I’ve never gotten into Drambo, since I like to grab audio loops for arrangement, but now it works so well with LP I’m totally getting into it.

Just discovered the power of Loopy Pro, and working it in Drambo. Seems it solved lots of Loops/Audio barriers, time stretch, and Key transpose.. seems like the perfect replacement for the Launchpad app and its Auv3 shortcoming.
    So I found this thread.

Hope that some of our Video Tutors will dig into this bread and butter combo for this thread..

Nice..

• Happy to find this targeted thread.

With LP as my main unit, I’d like to use the LP XY pads to send cc data to control Drambo parameters. Frankly, I’m at a loss. Got as far as setting the Drambo midi in….Virtual MIDI IN is the only option. Is LP to Drambo CC control even possible? On the roadmap?

• @zilld2017 said:
    Happy to find this targeted thread.

With LP as my main unit, I’d like to use the LP XY pads to send cc data to control Drambo parameters. Frankly, I’m at a loss. Got as far as setting the Drambo midi in….Virtual MIDI IN is the only option. Is LP to Drambo CC control even possible? On the roadmap?

Are you running Drambo as an AU inside Loopy or running both standalone? Loopy can send midi to other apps or to loaded AU.

How are you trying to send the data? Use the send midi data action and choose Drambo or virtual midi out. In Drambo, Loopy’s virtual midi out port will be called Loopy Pro.

• edited December 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

Are you running Drambo as an AU inside Loopy or running both standalone? Loopy can send midi to other apps or to loaded AU.

Drambo as AU in LP. No standalone.

How are you trying to send the data? Use the send midi data action and choose Drambo or virtual midi out. In Drambo, Loopy’s virtual midi out port will be called Loopy Pro.

Hopefully, this screenshot will clarify? I’d like the flexibility in Drambo of swapping in different FX then using midi learn in Drambo. Hope this makes sense. Thanks, as always, @espiegel123

EDIT: the midi out setting in LP:

• @zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

Hopefully, this screenshot will clarify? I’d like the flexibility in Drambo of swapping in different FX then using midi learn in Drambo. Hope this makes sense. Thanks, as always, @espiegel123

EDIT: the XY pad midi out setting in LP:

• @zilld2017 said:

@zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

EDIT: the XY pad midi out setting in LP:

You need to assign send midi actions in the xy pad setup. Then use midi learn in Drambo (or manual assignment). In your picture, you haven’t assigned anything to the xy pad movements.

• You have to go into custom mode as Drambo doesn’t seem to have AU params.

When set up it will look like this

• @zilld2017 I think you will need to assign X and Y in LP to specific MIDI CCs, then MIDI Map those CCs to the controls in Drambo. You could map them to Morphs, Knobs, or Sliders in Drambo, and use those to modulate the other components. That way, you could leave the mapping unchanged when trying different fx.

• edited December 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    You have to go into custom mode as Drambo doesn’t seem to have AU params.

I see. So…I set up LP XY pad midi out like so [below]. Looking at the Drambo AU MIDI in source, I only get Virtual midi. No response for midi learn in Drambo. Will keep trying. Thanks for the guidance.

• @zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

I see. So…so up LP XY pad midi out like so [below]. Looking at the Drambo AU MIDI in source, I only get Virtual midi. No response for midi learn in Drambo. Will keep trying. Thanks for the guidance.

Yes.

• edited December 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@zilld2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

I see. So…so up LP XY pad midi out like so [below]. Looking at the Drambo AU MIDI in source, I only get Virtual midi. No response for midi learn in Drambo. Will keep trying. Thanks for the guidance.

Yes.

Excellent. Works. Also incorporated @uncledave ’s suggestion for ease of swapping fx. Thanks to all!

• Howdy y'all
    Trying to setup AB, AUM, Drambo and Loopy here lead to a few frustations (Didn't know you couldn't host when it's inside a host), so I eliminated AB and AUM and trying to run Drambo and Loopy standalone, so I can still fire some IAA inside LP.
    How would you then commit to audio any drambo stuff and send to LP if needed?
    better put an LP instance as an FX in Send A, for example?
    Or record and export from Drambo to LP?

• I keep a Loopy Pro on track 8 of Drambo. I put an Audio Input block before it so I can choose which track to record into LP. It works a treat.

Just make sure to add the correct LP audio unit, and to match the audio levels. I turn up the track output level to max on the LP track.

• Interesting thread but I’m overwhelmed by all the options. Loopy in Drambo, Drambo in Loopy, both standalone, both in AB or AUM. Could you shortly describe the workflows for the different setups and what are their pros and cons?

• @mistercharlie said:
    I keep a Loopy Pro on track 8 of Drambo. I put an Audio Input block before it so I can choose which track to record into LP. It works a treat.

Just make sure to add the correct LP audio unit, and to match the audio levels. I turn up the track output level to max on the LP track.

Thanks mate. That's way easier :wink:
    Yeah... regarding the correct LP AU, at first I was wondering why I couldn't get any sound in. Even if I put LP as an fx on other hosts, I forgot about that in Drambo :lol:

• @mistercharlie said:
    I keep a Loopy Pro on track 8 of Drambo. I put an Audio Input block before it so I can choose which track to record into LP. It works a treat.

Nice share Mr. C. Thanks. Just tried it out. I’ve spent the past month learning Loopy Pro, and it was easier than I had imagined. So that experience emboldened me to start learning Drambo. I’m learning the basics before I dive into the midi control aspect, and I book marked another thread that discusses a few ways to achieve this (depending on what you’re controlling) that I can reference later. But for now I’d just like to know if having LP hosted inside Drambo, would I still have the ability to launch donuts via a hardware controller?

• edited November 2023

Hey guys,

not sure if this thread is still alive, but I give it a try!
    As this is my first post here a few words on my background: I have a good knowledge of a ‘traditional’ daw (=Reaper) and also know Drambo not too bad after 6 months of using it to sketch ideas with beats and synths.
    Now I’d like to use drambo to record/play some basic vocals. After some research yesterday I have started to play around with the trial version of loopy pro. Dig the UI and what you can do with the loops there.
    However, one thing is driving me mad: I cannot get LP to simply play a loop immediately when I trigger it (using midi)…
    I have a song in Drambo, and not all ‘steps’ (is that what you call them?) have the same length. This means that LP when it always sticks to the length of the step it was recorded with will eventually get out of sync with the other steps.
    This means when I trigger an LP loop, the internal LP clock could be somewhere in the circle and thus waits for the next beginning instead of just playing the clip.
    Not sure if I have explained it well, but yeah I’ve spent significant time already to figure that out. Also tried a lot of the sync settings to no avail…

• @longmatt : when do you want loopy’s clip to start after you send the midi command?

Do you want the loop to start from its beginning when retriggered?

When phase lock is on, a loop’s play head is always moving and ”play” plays from where the play head is. It is used for situations where all loops are naturally synced together.

When phase lock is off, a loop plays from its beginning when triggered.

When play starts is determined by the play quantization setting. What do you have it set to?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @longmatt : when do you want loopy’s clip to start after you send the midi command?

Do you want the loop to start from its beginning when retriggered?

When phase lock is on, a loop’s play head is always moving and ”play” plays from where the play head is. It is used for situations where all loops are naturally synced together.

When phase lock is off, a loop plays from its beginning when triggered.

When play starts is determined by the play quantization setting. What do you have it set to?

Hi, thanks for your comment!
    I think I am beginning to understand better what the different settings mean.
    My goal is to trigger the loop on the first beat of the bar, that’s also where I send the midi note.
    I have now made the two adjustments you suggested (phase lock off, no play/stop quantization) and it‘s doing almost what I want: however, I loop the section twice in drambo and then LP often misses the second trigger (on beat 1 of the second loop).
    I say ‚often‘ because it indeed works sometimes, then the donut is flashing slowly during the second iteration. I don’t understand it really..