Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Metaverse / any explanations?

Zuckerberg spent billions on this. Anyone know why?

Comments

• it’s a bit like getting into the internet in the late eighties, a very long game that will probably pay off bigly at some point. Maybe not though 🤷

• Maybe something akin to Nobel disease? I’m aware he doesn’t have one to begin with, but you know…fame, money, and control which cultivates a distorted self-something or other.

• Has anyone lost money betting on tech to distract people from reality? I recall my initial reaction when exposed to many new potential distractions: internet, cable TV, streaming services, twitter… meh. I can’t get enough of reality but eventually you find humanity in the distraction that’s more engaging than your surroundings. The tech is not the attraction… it’s the network of humanity and access to engaging content. Techies say most new tech just needs a killer app. The meta verse is awaiting its killer app that sucks us into wearing goggles to participate. Maybe 10 years?
    TikTok is a killer app for consuming a stream of distraction and engagement for creatives seeking an audience. As TikTok style networks emerge people will justify upgrading their peripherals for their devices.

• What I don’t understand is if he really spent billions on it why does it look like shit?

• The billions have been spent on loss leading with the quest devices and the platform itself, it doesn’t really matter what it looks like for now, just that he’s established a foothold. It’s not a guaranteed win for any of the players in the game right now, but if you’rea megalomaniac billionaire in tech right now and you’re not putting some chips down it’ll be like not signing the Beatles when/if it comes good. It’s just a new space that’s likely to open up and be as big as, if not bigger than the internet… a massive gamble, but one that he and others can’t afford not to make.

It does look like crap though, I spent the last year or so making a VR film (for the festival of Brexit no less😂) and it looks way better than any meta stuff I’ve seen so far. What’s interesting is just how far from evolved the art is right now; we’re practically at the Lumiere train heading for the screen moment, and this stuff is way more complex both technologically and in terms of how it’ll evolve culturally and artistically.

• wimwim
    edited November 2022

If you have the patience for a long listen, and if the name Joe Rogan doesn't automatically make you froth at the mouth, his interview with Zuckerberg is fascinating. I enjoyed every minute of it. There's no politics, none of the stuff that gets people's hackles up. Just a down-to-earth chat with an interesting guy who comes off as a lot more human that at least I always pictured him from only reading headlines and skimming the occasional news article.

I still loathe Facebook, and I still think the Metaverse thing is just silliness at this point. What I found entertaining was hearing one of the richest people on the planet sit down to a chat like a normal person.

There's a whole bunch in there about his motivations regarding the Metaverse stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/51gxrAActH18RGhKNza598?si=bbQ73MygSG-fNmRR7phvqg

• edited November 2022

Asking why the owner of last decades tech is spaffing billions on this now is like asking why Cornelius Vanderbilt thought railroads might be worth looking into after being a big name in steamships. Early movers will own the territory, and it’s worth being crap now to win later. Right now Zuckerberg is the owner of the worlds biggest buggy whip franchise, on the eve of something like the Model T being released. I hope his corporate hellscape vision of the Next Big Thing is all kinds of wrong, but I totally get why he is prepared to bet the farm on bending the future to his version of it if he can.

If you have the time, check out this doc on a possible alternative to Zuckerberg vision - and probably why it will get crushed. A fascinating watch.

• The biggest issue with distance was solved in the 1800s when we figured out how to verbally communicate in realtime with those out of earshot. While still difficult to pick up social cues over video links, video is another aid to senses. But what senses does the metaverse help with, touch? smell? taste? No... it just degrades vision into some uncanny valley from the early 2000s. Even if improved to the point of photo realism, will it truly liberate anything?
    Remember that every movement, every utterance, even everything you look at will be able to be monitored, and the virtual world is easier to shape and control than the real world.
    There will be some who prefer to live in a simulation, and approximation of life, but I'm glad that it won't happen in my time (considering the rate that Meta are going!)

• I remember seeing AR for the computer years ago when you could point a webcam at a QR code and see a 3d figure. I thought that it would eventually be huge. If they can figure out a form factor that is comfortable and still have decent battery life I still believe it will be.
    I'm an early adopter of VR. I had a GearVR headset in 2016 and still have a Mixed Reality headset for the home pc. It's fun, and the Meta Quest 2 looks interesting, but I don't think VR has the same opportunity to be integrated into everyday life like AR could. Great for entertainment, but an AR overlay has so many potential uses.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Asking why the owner of last decades tech is spaffing billions on this now is like asking why Cornelius Vanderbilt thought railroads might be worth looking into after being a big name in steamships. Early movers will own the territory, and it’s worth being crap now to win later. Right now Zuckerberg is the owner of the worlds biggest buggy whip franchise, on the eve of something like the Model T being released. I hope his corporate hellscape vision of the Next Big Thing is all kinds of wrong, but I totally get why he is prepared to bet the farm on bending the future to his version of it if he can.

This is kind of how I think of it too - he’s putting his money into something that seems like a good bet, but has pulled the trigger way before there’s a market for it (at least his vision of it).

In the long run he’s probably on to a good thing.

• edited November 2022

@MadeofWax : I saw a great Anime series a few years back. It has a typical ‘Scooby gang’ plot of kids taking on a big bad amounting to a tech updating of trad Japanese evil spirits, but was set in a realistic near future world which had a take on AR which struck me as utterly plausible. In this world, everyone had access to it all the time through ordinary looking spectacles, as the interface to limitless AI computing power, with the result that in many practical ways, ‘magic’ was now a thing. So that the real world had a constant, hackable, info overlay available at all times, and, with gestures, a person could ‘conjure up’ whatever virtual device or thing they needed, wherever they were - control surfaces, screens, cute little AI manga pets, virtual drones, avatars of themselves… it was a very persuasive vision.

Ha! Tracked it down. This is it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den-noh_Coil

“Maiden Japan released the series on Blu-ray and DVD with English dubbing in North America in June 2016. It was released on Netflix in late January 2022.”

• edited November 2022

The Metaverse will never take off because VR makes users look a bit gormless. Look at any photo of someone using VR.

https://www.google.com/search?q=person+using+vr&sxsrf=ALiCzsb3W1SqwJ01wlD1E2sRANjn7S6u-g:1669617941487&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn_b_Co9D7AhV-hf0HHek4AjIQ_AUoAXoECAMQAw&biw=902&bih=625&dpr=1

Seriously though, anything requiring the user to buy a new device will not cut it anymore. Especially with the chip shortage, and economic crisis. The reason Facebook was so huge was that it could be run on even the cheapest mobile tech by people across the world.

VR has been the next big thing for the last 30 years, I don't think it it will ever take off. AR on the other hand...

• Because metaverse is not a “second life game” but a future FED online.

• edited November 2022

@sevenape :VR, I agree with you (except perhaps in gaming). But AR… yes, AR really could be a thing, I think, if the form factor gets down to normal glasses.

• @Svetlovska There‘s even ongoing devlopment of AR contact lenses (see Tested video report of Mojo lenses for current state), which have an even smaller form factor than glasses.

The following cool art video of a quite distopian AR enhanced future with annoying, interactive ads everywhere and hacked devices, dependency on that ‚other reality‘ etc was showcased about six years ago:

• @_ki : Ha! Nice vid. Dystopian indeed. Similar vibe to the Coil show, only with live action, which makes it even more credible.

• edited November 2022

@LinearLineman said:
    What I don’t understand is if he really spent billions on it why does it look like shit?

Well there are some limitations. This is what ive heard: With traditional games etc. you have gigabytes of assets. You have a loading period where the assets are loaded from the hard drive. With an environment like the metaverse you don‘t have a fixed set of assets that could be pre-installed because its all supposed to be unique user generated content. You have none of the assets on the hard drive, you‘d have to stream them over the internet. And you don‘t want half-hour loading breaks every 5 meters, so you have to milit the complexity of everything.

• edited November 2022

@dobbs . But, if you check out the VR Chat environment covered in the People Make Games doc I referenced above, you can see that the character models and environments there are much more attractive and fully fleshed out, with very sophisticated body tracking etcetera. Obviously, by VR nerds with top quality, even experimental kit, but much closer to the kind of Ready Player One VR which might actually be attractive to hang out in than Zuckerberg’s groin-less Blandiverse.

• edited November 2022

Does it have instanced environments with pre-downloaded assets? Afaik that’s how second life worked, for example? I don’t even know if metaverse is an open world or if you first download the levels you enter?

Like, I’m not defending metaverse, but what I said is one constraint to consider, maybe the biggest constraint… how do you get detailed textures, objects, worlds to people without needling long buffering breaks

• I thought this was a pretty interesting look at why meta is going all in on this, and where things currently are:

• @LinearLineman said:
    What I don’t understand is if he really spent billions on it why does it look like shit?

This, absolutely. It looks amateurish. And that's just an observation, not a statement about whatever may happen to it at some point in the future - which nobody knows anyway.

You gotta love it that, when Z makes a bet and "makes mistakes" in the process, as he admitted the other day, the people picking up the tab are the 10K+ FB employees that get laid off as a result. The struggle is real.

• edited November 2022

@LinearLineman said:
    Zuckerberg spent billions on this. Anyone know why?

he is probably retarded, that’s why 😂

whole metaverse narrative is one big bullshit initially ignited in cryptocurrncy space and those big comoanies just got fooled that it is real thing :-)) Constantly telling everybody since it aopearread in 2021 it is nonsense from many reasons

• This was 9 months ago…

• I don't know about Meta, I've not kept up. But I had more fun painting in three dimensions inside VR, and playing Red Matter VR, than I ever had playing a game in any other format, watching anything on tv, or sitting in a movie theater. Eventually I read that Quest users would be required to join Facebook, and the Quest headset was completely uncomfortable, so I sold it.

I am in no way interested, and I don't think I'm alone, in socializing in VR with other real humans hiding behind creepy avatars. But I would love a VR studio. If someone comes up with a comfortable headset with great tracking and some good content (that doesn't require FB or similar) I'll certainly get it.

• @_ki said:
    The following cool art video of a quite distopian AR enhanced future with annoying, interactive ads everywhere and hacked devices, dependency on that ‚other reality‘ etc was showcased about six years ago:

This seems a very likely future for us (if civilization continues) . An impressive production and writing. I liked at the beginning when she asks "who am I?, where am I going?"

• He is trying to complete a video game at 100% by unlocking each achievement. In 100 years, humans will want to go back in the wood and live like prehistoric humans. So much problems will be solved. I'm 40 and I'm already too old for that shit. We aim at an happiness that was already there long time ago.

• edited November 2022

I have an oculus, I’ve met some cool people on it. I like gaming on it. I especially love watching movies on it. I wouldn’t think people would be taking it more serious than any other device…in fact the smart phone has most people enslaved completely these days.