Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quick tip for exporting Koala samples directly to Ableton note

I love the idea of using field recordings inside Ableton Note (see Ricky Tinez’s latest video as of Nov 26). But I find koala a much better, faster capturing tool. I’d much prefer to record in koala and export to Note when I’m ready to throw it all in a drum rack.

Unfortunately, Koala exports multiple samples into a zip file which can’t be shared directly to Ableton Note using the iOS share sheet. This can be annoying because you have to extract the zip in the Files app and then reshare the unzipped folder to Note.

To remedy this, I used iOS shortcuts to add a new share sheet option that extracts zipped contents into a folder and immediately reshares that. Now I can export my entire koala set to Note without having to jump into the Files app. If there’s any interest in the Shortcut, you can nab the shortcut here: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/21db961436dc4422a92d3ddc085f35bb

I’ll also share a screenshot of how I made it if you prefer not to click links from strangers.

Comments

• Quick tip for exporting Koala samples directly to Ableton note...

...stick to using Koala. 🤣 Lol. Kidding. Great tip mate. Cheers. 🍻

• 👍

Where does Note put files that you import like this? Does it open them, or add them to its “Imported” folder?

• @mistercharlie said:
    👍

Where does Note put files that you import like this? Does it open them, or add them to its “Imported” folder?

Looks like it adds them to the imported folder. The filenames aren’t very helpful now that I look (eg 1.wav, 2.wav) so I might update the shortcuts script to add a helpful file prefix

• @jprto said:

@mistercharlie said:
    👍

Looks like it adds them to the imported folder. The filenames aren’t very helpful now that I look (eg 1.wav, 2.wav) so I might update the shortcuts script to add a helpful file prefix

Nice. And if the destination is Note’s import folder anyway, the Shortcut could save them straight there, instead of requiring the user to do the saving step.

• Here: I made a quickie that adds the unzipped files straight to Note’s important user samples folder. It puts them in a subfolder named after the Koala project name, but you can rename it during the process.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2df24f8416b941468bdea62d19b8db73