Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quantum Sequencer & all my apps 25% off during US holiday weekend

I'm reducing all my app prices by 25% during this US holiday weekend:

• Quantum Sequencer - old school sequencer using multitrack faders & note names
  • MidiSequencer - simpler version of Quantum
  • PhotonAU - midi recording, pad playback & groove applier
  • MidiEcho - midi note echo fx
  • Polythemus - poly to mono fx to enable you to spread chords across multiple synths
  • Skirmish1944 - WW2 hex & counter war-game featuring US paratrooper landings near Utah beach on D Day

Happy Holidays!!

https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/anthony-saunders/id460303742

Comments

• Don't sleep on these apps people. Absolutely lovely.
    BTW, I think tonight I shall pair Quantum and MidiSequencer with my EMX + MC-101 + TD-3 :heart:

• Quantum isn’t AUv3?! I just bought it, based on great reviews on App Store and glowing feedback here on the AB forum.
    How incredibly disappointing

• My most used are Polythemus and MidiEcho

Quantum is WELL worth it too

• Spent nearly an hour last night trying to figure out Quantum, using Sunrizer as suggested in the manual. No joy. Possibly the least intuitive app I’ve bought

• I’ve long wondered about these, would the midiSequencer be more of a fun experiment than the total mind blow that Quantum appears to be? I kinda get the feeling that the former is somehow a cut down version of the latter, or is that a completely wing take?

• Be aware that PhotonAU has some kind of bug - I forget what it is now because it is so long since I used the app / informed the dev, but it has never been addressed and led me to stop using the app. Midi Tape Recorder is a current bug-free alternative for mpe recording even if it does not have all of Photon's features. Anyway, I cannot recommend Photon in its current state. Any chance of those issues being fixed @midiSequencer? Quantum is very cool, if you like sequencers, despite not being AUv3. Polythemus is fantastic and Midi Echo is also great for clean echoes and unusual delay patterns, especially combined with something like Rozeta Scaler.

• @Gavinski said:
    Be aware that PhotonAU has some kind of bug - I forget what it is now because it is so long since I used the app / informed the dev, but it has never been addressed and led me to stop using the app. Midi Tape Recorder is a current bug-free alternative for mpe recording even if it does not have all of Photon's features. Anyway, I cannot recommend Photon in its current state. Any chance of those issues being fixed @midiSequencer? Quantum is very cool, if you like sequencers, despite not being AUv3. Polythemus is fantastic and Midi Echo is also great for clean echoes and unusual delay patterns, especially combined with something like Rozeta Scaler.

Saw this bug being mentioned in another thread as I was researching Photon AU, which is why I'm holding off purchasing for now even though I'm interested in exactly this sort of app. But if the developer is on it I might take his word for it and get the app before the sale is over. If I miss the sale I'll wait for now.

• From watch8ng a few videos, it looks like it’s less worth getting midiSequencer than Quantum tbh, the latter much more kept up to date, and I’m guessing where the developer has put way more thought and ideas over the years…

• @Kashi said:
    Spent nearly an hour last night trying to figure out Quantum, using Sunrizer as suggested in the manual. No joy. Possibly the least intuitive app I’ve bought

Follow these steps:
    1. * open Quantum
    2. * Pick New rack
    3. * Open Sunrizer
    4. * enable Audio BKG (top left) - this enables Sunrizer to play midi in the background
    5. * pick a percussive type preset (eg New Horizon/iTar1)
    6. * switch back to Quantum
    7. * Press Play button(triangle just above 'mode' bottom left)
    8. * You should here sunrizer playing. Move the sliders to adjust the pitch of the notes etc1.

The above runs Quantum in standalone mode.
    message me if you are still having issues.

• @Krupa said:
    I’ve long wondered about these, would the midiSequencer be more of a fun experiment than the total mind blow that Quantum appears to be? I kinda get the feeling that the former is somehow a cut down version of the latter, or is that a completely wing take?

No you are correct. MidiSequencer is the first version I developed - Quantum expanded this with multiple tracks etc. I kept MidiSequencer going as Quantum is so much more advanced & may be too much for a lot of people. However, MidiSequencer can still be used to supply CC's, notes etc to drive Quantum's input midi, expanding Quantum further!

• @audiblevideo said:
    My most used are Polythemus and MidiEcho

Quantum is WELL worth it too

I really enjoy Polythemus for making mono synths polyphonic. Here is a video demonstrating this, which you may have seen?

MidiEcho is also in Quantum as an fx - essential Berlin School sequencing tool!

• @midiSequencer said:

@Krupa said:
    I’ve long wondered about these, would the midiSequencer be more of a fun experiment than the total mind blow that Quantum appears to be? I kinda get the feeling that the former is somehow a cut down version of the latter, or is that a completely wing take?

No you are correct. MidiSequencer is the first version I developed - Quantum expanded this with multiple tracks etc. I kept MidiSequencer going as Quantum is so much more advanced & may be too much for a lot of people. However, MidiSequencer can still be used to supply CC's, notes etc to drive Quantum's input midi, expanding Quantum further!

Oh wow, forget inDramboception, double trouble with your two! I’m not sure which to go for again now, I’d sort of settled on just getting Quantum as it seemed more sensible to get the one that’s got very recent updates. I’d probably not use it for more than one track at a time though, but it does seem like it’s got more features in general as well…

• @Gavinski said:
    Be aware that PhotonAU has some kind of bug - I forget what it is now because it is so long since I used the app / informed the dev, but it has never been addressed and led me to stop using the app. Midi Tape Recorder is a current bug-free alternative for mpe recording even if it does not have all of Photon's features. Anyway, I cannot recommend Photon in its current state. Any chance of those issues being fixed @midiSequencer? Quantum is very cool, if you like sequencers, despite not being AUv3. Polythemus is fantastic and Midi Echo is also great for clean echoes and unusual delay patterns, especially combined with something like Rozeta Scaler.

PhotonAU midi import works for me. Find a midi file using Files, open in PhotonAU (it opens the standalone app) - refresh to update the file list. Then as an AU in a host, Photon can load the file.
    I'm using Apple's own code too open the midi file, so it might have issues with the file? Let me know if anyone is having issues, I will retest some more.

• @Krupa said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Krupa said:

Oh wow, forget inDramboception, double trouble with your two! I’m not sure which to go for again now, I’d sort of settled on just getting Quantum as it seemed more sensible to get the one that’s got very recent updates. I’d probably not use it for more than one track at a time though, but it does seem like it’s got more features in general as well…

Yes Quantum is a lot more powerful (see my videos) - I use its realtime cc controls to tweak moog model d just the way I like it

• @midiSequencer said:

@Krupa said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Krupa said:

Yes Quantum is a lot more powerful (see my videos) - I use its realtime cc controls to tweak moog model d just the way I like it

Cool that settles it, and hopefully closes out my Black Friday, something old something new 😁 thanks 🙏

• Pretty instant fun, interface isn’t as obtuse as I’ve read, I’m sure I’m only scratching the surface right now though… anything that lets you draw melodies is always a winner in my book 🙌

• @midiSequencer said:

@Gavinski said:

PhotonAU midi import works for me. Find a midi file using Files, open in PhotonAU (it opens the standalone app) - refresh to update the file list. Then as an AU in a host, Photon can load the file.
    I'm using Apple's own code too open the midi file, so it might have issues with the file? Let me know if anyone is having issues, I will retest some more.

I have no idea what issue @gavinski is referring to, but there is a documented issue with midi timing discussed in this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46251/let-s-talk-about-midi-sequencer-timing

@_ki can fill you in in the details if they aren’t clear.

• @midiSequencer : any chance you will implement state-saving (including buffer contents) in Photon? The number of steps involved in saving and restoring a session is what led me to stop using Photon.

• @Gavinski said:
    Be aware that PhotonAU has some kind of bug - I forget what it is now because it is so long since I used the app / informed the dev, but it has never been addressed and led me to stop using the app. ….

Imo, it is not very fair to a developer to post something like this—warning people off an app but providing no specifics . It implies that an app is bad but supplies no context … the issue could be a minor one particular to your use case … and it provides nothing actionable for the developer to investigate.

• @Krupa said:
    Pretty instant fun, interface isn’t as obtuse as I’ve read, I’m sure I’m only scratching the surface right now though… anything that lets you draw melodies is always a winner in my book 🙌

You're in for loads of fun.
    For me it's the best part of classic analog sequencing with the smart stuff that Anthony came up to make it even cooler for nowadays.

With midisequencer, I used to drive 76 Synth, Sunrizer, miniSynth, etc.
    With quantum I could do some crazy combos (2 racks for iMS-20, 1 for Poison, and other for animoog for example)

Or route all racks to different Korg Gadgets.

I recommend starting with shorter sequences and then explore the possibilities

• @Krupa said:
    Pretty instant fun, interface isn’t as obtuse as I’ve read, I’m sure I’m only scratching the surface right now though… anything that lets you draw melodies is always a winner in my book 🙌

@espiegel123 said:
    @midiSequencer : any chance you will implement state-saving (including buffer contents) in Photon? The number of steps involved in saving and restoring a session is what led me to stop using Photon.

Will look into this again, I'd started working on it before.

• @espiegel123 said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Gavinski said:

I have no idea what issue @gavinski is referring to, but there is a documented issue with midi timing discussed in this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46251/let-s-talk-about-midi-sequencer-timing

@_ki can fill you in in the details if they aren’t clear.

thx will revisit this & retest with buffer sizes

• @senhorlampada said:

@Krupa said:

You're in for loads of fun.
    For me it's the best part of classic analog sequencing with the smart stuff that Anthony came up to make it even cooler for nowadays.

With midisequencer, I used to drive 76 Synth, Sunrizer, miniSynth, etc.
    With quantum I could do some crazy combos (2 racks for iMS-20, 1 for Poison, and other for animoog for example)

Or route all racks to different Korg Gadgets.

I recommend starting with shorter sequences and then explore the possibilities

Yeah I’m definitely thinking this with the juicy hardware I’ve been spending my Ill gotten gains on lately will enjoy this!

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Be aware that PhotonAU has some kind of bug - I forget what it is now because it is so long since I used the app / informed the dev, but it has never been addressed and led me to stop using the app. ….

Imo, it is not very fair to a developer to post something like this—warning people off an app but providing no specifics . It implies that an app is bad but supplies no context … the issue could be a minor one particular to your use case … and it provides nothing actionable for the developer to investigate.

As u mentioned there is a whole thread on the various issues so no, but I get your point - I didn't have time to go back and investigate but I felt it was worth mentioning and I also felt sure that others would chime in, which is exactly what happened.

• Plus I had already informed the dev of the issue(s) a long time ago, with no changes made. Did not have time to go through my AB inbox for messages from 2 or 3 years ago about it

• @midiSequencer said:

@Gavinski said:

Hi Anthony, regarding Photon, I just checked and the main issue I reported to you, about 2 years ago, was that it couldn't record / play sustained midi notes, which you said at the time that you would fix but which was never addressed. As mentioned, other issues have been brought up in various threads about it, but that was the main bugbear for me. Any chance of finally getting that fixed do you think? 🍻

• edited November 2022

@Gavinski said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Gavinski said:

Hi Anthony, regarding Photon, I just checked and the main issue I reported to you, about 2 years ago, was that it couldn't record / play sustained midi notes, which you said at the time that you would fix but which was never addressed. As mentioned, other issues have been brought up in various threads about it, but that was the main bugbear for me. Any chance of finally getting that fixed do you think? 🍻

Do you have a way to reproduce the issue? You mentioned this before on the forum, but it seems to work fine for me..which I mentioned when you last brought it up on the forum. I've just tested it again and it is recording and playing back sustained notes fine and also the sustain pedal cc.

I recorded some notes with sustain pedal and here is the playback displayed in a midi monitor.

I used to use Photon a lot and never encountered an issue with sustained notes. If you have steps that demonstrate the issue that would probably be helpful to the developer. Maybe this requires some special conditions?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Gavinski said:

Do you have a way to reproduce the issue? You mentioned this on the forum, but it seems to work fine for me..which I mentioned when you last brought it up on the forum. I've just tested it again and it is recording and playing back sustained notes fine and also the sustain pedal cc.

I recorded some notes with sustain pedal and here is the playback displayed in a midi monitor.

I used to use Photon a lot and never encountered an issue with sustained notes. If you have steps that demonstrate the issue that would probably be helpful to the developer. Maybe this requires some special conditions?

Perhaps it does - it is so long since I reported this I certainly couldn't replicate whatever it was that caused it before. But I'll take a look later and see if I can reproduce. I do remember other people reporting issues with this though. Thnx

• So i just recorded sustained notes from piano motifs into Photon AU in AUM and it worked, so for me this is now usable. Before, thinking back, the problem was playing sustained notes from midi files exported from Piano Motifs, before Piano Motifs had its direct midi out iap. That use case is no longer important to me as I can record PM directly into Photon now so I will once again start using the app and am happy to recommend it, at least for recording of midi.

• Thanks @midiSequencer - I appreciate you responding to my comment.
    I'll follow those instructions and get back to you , on here, if I still can't figure it out!