Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Portable Solution for Guitar with Headphone

I bought so many things over the years. I also sold them all. Yes, I often use my iPad as a MFX for my guitar, but sometimes, I just want a quick little device to play with my guitar and headphone.

Is there something better than this?

It's perfect to play on the go.

I will buy it, but I just wanted to know if you had a better alternative before I buy this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Take a look at the Fender> @Montreal_Music said:

I bought so many things over the years. I also sold them all. Yes, I often use my iPad as a MFX for my guitar, but sometimes, I just want a quick little device to play with my guitar and headphone.

I will buy it, but I just wanted to know if you had a better alternative before I buy this.

Thanks.

The model with the expression pedal looks good too. No clue how it sounds or the tones compare to iOS apps. Do you need the drums and the looper? There are plenty of “headphone guitar amps” with effects etc… Fender mustang micro, Vox etc…

What’s wrong with an iPhone and an apogee jam plus? Not convenient enough?

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Take a look at the Fender> @Montreal_Music said:

Thanks.

The model with the expression pedal looks good too. No clue how it sounds or the tones compare to iOS apps. Do you need the drums and the looper? There are plenty of “headphone guitar amps” with effects etc… Fender mustang micro, Vox etc…

I don't have an Apogee, just a Motu. But it's not quick to set my iPad, my sound interface, my USB power hub. Sometimes, I want something without screen and setting. Something plug and play. But I know, nothing beats the iPad. I have a bunch of really good effects to play in AUM.

• edited November 2022

@Montreal_Music said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Take a look at the Fender> @Montreal_Music said:

Thanks.

I don't have an Apogee, just a Motu. But it's not quick to set my iPad, my sound interface, my USB power hub. Sometimes, I want something without screen and setting. Something plug and play. But I know, nothing beats the iPad. I have a bunch of really good effects to play in AUM.

But do you need effects, drums, and a looper? Or just the sound on an amp in your headphones? Take a look at the Fender mustang micro, is that the sort of thing you’re looking for? Also, lots of miniature amps out there with headphone jacks.

• edited November 2022

I know what you mean about quick and convenient, lots of options out there, but perhaps others can chime in with recs.

At the end of the day you just might need a more portable interface, like an iRig or an apogee jam plus. It’s the quick and convenient way to still use your best sounds on iOS.

• I use a Fender Mustang Micro. Plugs into the guitar, it’s also a usb c audio interface and it’s also a Bluetooth receiver. So you can jam while you play backing tracks. It’s the size of a zippo. Love it.

Not much editing though. It’s like a Vox Amplug on steroids. Sounds nice though

• edited November 2022

Nuxx Mighty Plug. Similar to the Fender Mustang Micro, but cheaper and really good. IOS app, Bluetooth in, headphone out and also works as a usb audio interface.

There’s also a new version, Mighty Plug Pro, which is…er… pro’er.

I love these little plug in devices, the Bluetooth solved something for me I’d been trying to achieve with Vox amplugs, Bluetooth aux dongles (for rhythm accompaniment) and rubber bands. Usb rechargeable battery is definite progress from AAA’s.

There is a 3rd party android app that lets you use a Bluetooth foot pedal to toggle the effects on and off, but alas not for iOS yet.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

Sometimes it’s good to have some time off… is that heresy here ? :smile:

• edited November 2022

Just to add my 5ct, these small interfaces like irig hd 2 work without powered hub or camera adapter. And they are for sure lighter than those huge multi fx stompboxes ;) and they have stereo-out for the headphones. And irig has an additional amp-out which afaik apogee doesn’t have.

Mighty plug looks really cool though. Can you change presets without using the app?

• @steve99 said:
    Nuxx Mighty Plug. Similar to the Fender Mustang Micro, but cheaper and really good. IOS app, Bluetooth in, headphone out and also works as a usb audio interface.

There’s also a new version, Mighty Plug Pro, which is…er… pro’er.

I love these little plug in devices, the Bluetooth solved something for me I’d been trying to achieve with Vox amplugs, Bluetooth aux dongles (for rhythm accompaniment) and rubber bands. Usb rechargeable battery is definite progress from AAA’s.

There is a 3rd party android app that lets you use a Bluetooth foot pedal to toggle the effects on and off, but alas not for iOS yet.

NuX Mighty Plug Pro is great tool (and audio interface!) for practicing. Mightier amp app works on iOS as well and it is even better than original app from NuX.

• There the Tonex pedal too., whcih I personally think might be the best thing iOS had got for guitar in a long time

• @filo01 said:
    NuX Mighty Plug Pro is great tool (and audio interface!) for practicing. Mightier amp app works on iOS as well and it is even better than original app from NuX.

That’s great news that Mightier Amp is now on iOS, thanks for posting that info.

• @dreamcartel said:
    There the Tonex pedal too., whcih I personally think might be the best thing iOS had got for guitar in a long time

The Tonex pedal is a good choice. You can try the app to see if you like it.

If not I would look torward Boss but if you want something less expensive look at Mooer.

• @ecou said:

@dreamcartel said:
    There the Tonex pedal too., whcih I personally think might be the best thing iOS had got for guitar in a long time

The Tonex pedal is a good choice. You can try the app to see if you like it.

If not I would look torward Boss but if you want something less expensive look at Mooer.

I agree if you don’t get the tonex pedal for example; I would go with BOSS next for sure. Roland /BOSS are my go to for all guitar stuff actually (well now I just realized all my studio gear almsot)

• @dobbs said:

Mighty plug looks really cool though. Can you change presets without using the app?

You can have a handful of presets that you can cycle through with the button on it. It’s been long enough since I used mine that I’ve forgotten how many.

• edited September 2023

@steve99 said:

@filo01 said:

That’s great news that Mightier Amp is now on iOS, thanks for posting that info.

If you like it, please consider donation for developer (Tuntori aka Diyan Iliev).
    He wrote this: "Unlike Android, publishing an app for iOS requires me to pay an annual fee of $99."
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nux-mighty-plug-pro.2343436/page-16#post-36833657
    I don't understand at all why Apple has such conditions for developers who give their products for free.

• Tonex, iPad, AUM. Mixbox for effects, or THU, or Tonestack Pro. I use tonex for amps and dirt pedals, THU, Tonestack and Mixbox for effects , delay, reverb etc. all hosted in AUM.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    Tonex, iPad, AUM. Mixbox for effects, or THU, or Tonestack Pro.

IKM Tonex is one of few multi platform apps I want to have on my iPad. Black Friday is coming so I hope for some good sale of this. I got Tonex SE PC version for ~ $35 so would be nice to see similar iOS price as well.

• edited September 2023

I think that if you have the pc Tonex SE version you have the iPadOS SE version as well, with unlimited Tone net downloads already. Its how it worked for me when I bought Tones Max for Mac/Windows.

• @bobbyj8866 I didn't know that and you really made my day ... THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :)

• @filo01 said:

@steve99 said:

@filo01 said:

If you like it, please consider donation for developer (Tuntori aka Diyan Iliev).
    He wrote this: "Unlike Android, publishing an app for iOS requires me to pay an annual fee of $99."
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nux-mighty-plug-pro.2343436/page-16#post-36833657
    I don't understand at all why Apple has such conditions for developers who give their products for free.

More good info, thank you, yes I will definitely donate.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2023

iRig HD into an iPhone loaded with your favorite Amp Sim(s) and some backing tracks in iTunes or a file player.
    It’s best to have all the settings ready to go. I use an AUM project exported from my iPad.

Battery pack and CCK adapter (end not visible in this photo).

All external hardware is Velcro’ed to the Telecaster.

• I tired one of these

I have to say it's the best, small, solution I've ever tried.

Headphones yes
    Acoustic speaker yes ( set expectations ... it's perfect for inside use next to you. Tones sound great. Not gonna cut a rehearsal! )
    Audio interface yes
    Lots of tone options yes ( via phone app )
    Footswitch available to switch tones, or turn on/off pedals within a set up yes
    Play along with music from YouTube yes
    Calculates chords from recorded music yes
    Will generate backing tracks from a sample of your playing yes
    Tuner yes ( better when used with the app.. but it is built into the unit )

8 hours playtime from a charge.

Cost ... great value IMO ... $130 US , there are specials from time to time ... approx $100