Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any other music lovers here who hate listening to music?

When driving I prefer the sound of road noise. And while working, I prefer the sound of turning tools and high pressure coolant pumps over headphones. It is welcome actually, especially after being bombarded with a relentless onslaught of invasive music, muzac, and ads when:
-pumping my gas at the wawa
-shopping for groceries
- walking around the outdoor market
- listening to my neighbor play with his karaoke machine while I’m outside dead-heading spent blooms in my garden.

Not to mention that whenever the mood strikes to want to hear something while driving, it turns out to never ever be a straightforward execution. No matter how well curated my playlists, speaking to Siri never works properly and I resort to distracted driving to fulfill my needs to hear one song only. Back in the day, It was far safer for everyone else on the road when I was reaching with one arm in the center console and changing CDs while driving cause I was able to do it all without taking my eyes off the road.

[end rant]
My main sources for exploring new music has been creations section here on AB, the “What are you listening to now? Is it good?” thread, and when my wife is watching a movie or Netflix and a soundtrack catches my ear, I will Shazam it and add it to my Apple Music.
And YT live set people.

Comments

• edited November 2022

Like Beethoven?

After a while, the internal music takes over, and everything else is just a distraction.

Every now and again I'm inspired to listen to someone or some group, and then I go back and scour their releases. These days, these inspirations most often come from Rick Beato interviews, obituaries (thanks audiob.us!), and TV soundtracks.

Most recently something reminded me of something and I found myself on Bandcamp tracking down the output of Douglas McCombs.

• edited November 2022

When I drive, I like the silence and road noise too, feels like a short moment of meditation. I cannot stand the sound of FM radio, compressed garbage, and stupid songs too. I sometimes play my own taste in music in the car, but after a drive I feel more tired this way.

Also when walking in a store, I hear the same old songs again and again, I cannot stand it.

And when I play music in my living room, I like to have no one else around, otherwise I cannot truly enjoy the music.

• I released a song on Mute Records about this very subject. (Ironic?)

https://open.spotify.com/track/3J6Gp27Iee1VJvRZ7DRqYC?si=Fl9stlCuQXexkGwcGivXQA

• Because I do music for a living, I pretty rarely want to listen to music outside of that. I went from competing in car audio contests as a teenager, to pretty much never listening to music in the car at all. If I do listen to music for fun these days, it's a very focused and specific thing like checking out a new album by a favorite artist. Usually at high volume in the studio when the wife is out for the night.

My non-musician friends think it's weird but they don't understand how your brain can get sick of a good thing like that :)

• edited November 2022

I’m the dopamine deficient type I guess, music like everything else loses its novelty but after a week or two or three of having no interest in listening to music at all, I’ll be listening to music nonstop for a week or so and wonder how I could live without it. But the car is the one place where I always listen to music. I don‘t drive very often though, commute by bike with earphones. So in the „music bores me“ weeks it’s 1,5h of podcasts a day😁

• @looperboy said:
    I released a song on Mute Records about this very subject. (Ironic?)

Dam on Mute. That’s freaking dope. Congratulations.

• Ut happens to me i can go weeks without listening to music

• In fact right now im not listening to anything

• @Poppadocrock said:

@looperboy said:
    I released a song on Mute Records about this very subject. (Ironic?)

Dam on Mute. That’s freaking dope. Congratulations.

🙏🙏🙏

• I don’t listen very much these years. I’ll listen to some Keith Jarrett when it pops up on YouTube. I like World music. Balkan Gypsy stuff. Bulgarian Women’s Choir. Often disappointed listening to contemporary jazz. I know if I listen to Mozart’s Requiem I’ll love it. Chinese opera, too. I bought these expensive headphones thinking I’d listen more, but I don’t.

It’s ok. One day, when I’m bedbound maybe, I’ll listen to everything. My own music absorbs me, of course, but I don’t spend much time listening to that, either. It’s a bit ironic, as now, after making so much iOS music, I hear stuff a lot better than I used to.

• No man, I'm the opposite, a music hater who loves listening to music. 😅

No actually I do love music, and I listen to it a moderate amount, but mostly I'm in silence (or white noise/rain actually, for tinnitus) since I usually do things and don't particularly like having music in the background.

Occasionally, if I find something interesting to explore, I go into deep rabbit holes full of music.

• Wow. Interesting and surprising majority of responses. I'm the complete opposite. I can't do without music at all. I love sound so much. I have to listen to stuff everyday especially on the way to and from work in the car. Never the radio though. Always my choice of CDs. Can't get enough of listening to music.
    I've always listened to music a lot since I was a kid. I used to listen just for pleasure, but these days I listen to the same things in a different way, I now pay more attention to the production and engineering side because of course I'm interested in making music myself.

• I’m cherish music deeply.
    If I hear a little I have the tendency to want
    To play it.
    If I hear too much I may break out into a laughing crying fit, it can be so intense. Happens when I play sometimes too. Floods of memories dark and light, overwhelming sentimentality. Can’t get enough of good piano to exercise to, so good for my brain.

Definitely veer towards talk radio in a car.

Also really love the quietest silence with maybe a box fan after a nice music induced laugh shake eye drain.

So it’s a difficult relationship but I wouldn’t change a thing.

Great thread.

• When I hear something I like it makes me either want to play along, or want to turn it off and play my own thing. Very difficult to just sit and listen, except in a late night falling asleep mode.

• I love listening to music but don’t find time enough with how much I’m making music. I love it when I’m driving though

• Me I love listening to music. Just that I can't seem to stick to one genre for more than a couple months. Right now I'm entirely burnt out on EDM. I know soon I'll evolve back into Ambient, but currently listening to and learning to produce Lofi.

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    When driving I prefer the sound of road noise. And while working, I prefer the sound of turning tools and high pressure coolant pumps over headphones. It is welcome actually, especially after being bombarded with a relentless onslaught of invasive music, muzac, and ads when:
    -pumping my gas at the wawa
    -shopping for groceries

And now that the holiday season is here, we'll all be bombarded with the same old Christmas music that they always play. Don't get me wrong, I love playing holiday music, but the radio usually plays the same Christmas songs and never songs for other November/December holidays. It's always the same stuff.

However, if there's one Christmas album I'll never tire of, it's Vince Guaraldi's. In fact, Vince Guaraldi's music (whether with his trio, Bola Sete, etc) is about the only music I never get burnt out on. 😳

That said, if you're looking for music that isn't the "same ol' commercial shite", definitely check out Vince Guaraldi, Ambient, and Lofi.

• I don’t understand how people can have music on when trying to do something else. The music takes my attention far easier than the task I’m trying to complete.
    Sometimes I spoil music for myself - I’m not listening to it, I’m analysing it. Completely spoiled Squarepusher for me that way, I was so into trying to sound like him I couldn’t listen to him and enjoy it, I was just trying to dismantle it to reconstruct myself.
    There is nothing better than getting “lost in music” though. House to yourself, doors locked, volume up (or headphones on a train, that sort of thing). I’d love to say “on the dance floor” too but I dance like the old git I am these days so that’s just embarrassing

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

However, if there's one Christmas album I'll never tire of, it's Vince Guaraldi's. In fact, Vince Guaraldi's music (whether with his trio, Bola Sete, etc) is about the only music I never get burnt out on. 😳

That said, if you're looking for music that isn't the "same ol' commercial shite", definitely check out Vince Guaraldi, Ambient, and Lofi.

John Fahey's solo guitar Xmas album is pretty great.

• wimwim
    edited November 2022

@MistaG said:
    I don’t understand how people can have music on when trying to do something else. The music takes my attention far easier than the task I’m trying to complete.

^this. There's no such thing as background music for me. My brain is instantly and fully engaged in the music. There's no way I can do anything else that requires focus and attention with any kind of music on. It's more like reading or studying than listening for me. If I'm trying to do something that requires thinking and anyone has music on, I have to put on some white noise in earbuds to get anything done. Oddly, I can usually ignore TV or conversation in the background.

On the other hand, give me some earbuds and the right music or an audiobook on and I can clean the house or do garden work for hours without even noticing the time pass.

Sometimes I spoil music for myself - I’m not listening to it, I’m analysing it. Completely spoiled Squarepusher for me that way, I was so into trying to sound like him I couldn’t listen to him and enjoy it, I was just trying to dismantle it to reconstruct myself.

I sometimes do that too, but fortunately am not a good enough musician to be able to comprehend how others do it. So, it's like watching Ice Hockey. As someone who can't even skate backwards, watching those guys out there is like watching magic happen. It's like that with most music.

When I do actually get to the point that I can play something I've heard, it somehow loses the magic. 😂🤨

There is nothing better than getting “lost in music” though. House to yourself, doors locked, volume up (or headphones on a train, that sort of thing). I’d love to say “on the dance floor” too but I dance like the old git I am these days so that’s just embarrassing

It was embarrassing when I was a teenager too. It's nothing new 50 years later. :D

• I hadn’t properly listened to anything until recently when I rediscovered the 2009 Chris Cornell and Timbaland album “Scream”. It’s way over the top and a bit ridiculous, but a fun piece of work nevertheless. All the songs weave seamlessly together with epic intros and outros so it’s a good album listening experience.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

John Fahey's solo guitar Xmas album is pretty great.

That sounds like a winner to me! I love solo guitar music.