Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Vocal Tune Studio announced

Vocal Tune Studio is an editor to correct pitch and time for vocals, like Auto Tune PRO. It is integrated into the Android and iOS app Audio Evolution Mobile Studio for a fast workflow. It features retune time, retune amount, volume and formant correction per note as well as vibrato controls. Vocal Tune Studio can detect the key and scale or you can choose the key/scale yourself. Notes or groups of notes can be time corrected.

Aside vocal pitch correction, it also features time correction (stretching and shrinking) on arbitrary points for any type of audio material.

This feature has been in development for over a year and the pitch detection and correction has been fine-tuned to provide the greatest quality compared to desktop offerings that cost hundreds of euros/dollars. Vocal Tune Studio is expected to be available to Audio Evolution Mobile Studio for Android and iOS within 2 to 3 weeks and will require an in-app purchase.

Comments

• @dwrae oh man. Gotta try this out. Can’t wait for the UI to change. This will give Cubasis some good competition.

• @dwrae any intention of making it AUV3?

• Holy Crap, this will soon be inside Audio Evolution Mobile, correct?

• @Paa89 said:
    @dwrae oh man. Gotta try this out. Can’t wait for the UI to change. This will give Cubasis some good competition.

For me it’s more a question about wtf the Cubasis team doing or not doing :smiley:

An AUv3 of these kind of things makes currently no sense due to lack of deep host integration.
    It would require endless import & export of audiofiles and create just another ‘FrankenDAW’ with zero flow.

But it’s truly amazing to see what the dev is doing and makes me again question the ‘other camp’.

• @Paa89 said:
    @dwrae any intention of making it AUV3?

It is possible, but the workflow is easier when integrated.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Holy Crap, this will soon be inside Audio Evolution Mobile, correct?

Yes. It's already working and has been tested for quite a while. Just some final testing being done.

• @Samu said:

@Paa89 said:
    @dwrae oh man. Gotta try this out. Can’t wait for the UI to change. This will give Cubasis some good competition.

For me it’s more a question about wtf the Cubasis team doing or not doing :smiley:

An AUv3 of these kind of things makes currently no sense due to lack of deep host integration.
    It would require endless import & export of audiofiles and create just another ‘FrankenDAW’ with zero flow.

Not quite. That would mean Auto Tune PRO on desktop would have no sales, which I think is quite the opposite. We could do something similar with first 'recording' the audio on the first pass, so no import and export is needed. Once the audio has been recorded/tracked, you can use it pretty much like it was integrated. The only thing you must not do is move clips afterwards.

• @dwrae said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    Holy Crap, this will soon be inside Audio Evolution Mobile, correct?

Yes. It's already working and has been tested for quite a while. Just some final testing being done.

Wow! This is quite the announcement. Congratulations!

I will say that I would love to have the option to use in any host as a separate AUv3, as @dwrae asked, but even if just in AEM it will still be really cool, and very useful. Cheers!

• @dwrae said:
    Not quite. That would mean Auto Tune PRO on desktop would have no sales, which I think is quite the opposite. We could do something similar with first 'recording' the audio on the first pass, so no import and export is needed. Once the audio has been recorded/tracked, you can use it pretty much like it was integrated. The only thing you must not do is move clips afterwards.

I was more thinking of iOS sandboxing as the AUv3 plug-in has no direct access to the host files.

• @Samu said:
    I was more thinking of iOS sandboxing as the AUv3 plug-in has no direct access to the host files.

That's not a problem. No need for file access from the host. You would set Vocal Tune Studio (AUv3) into 'recording' mode, then let the DAW play the original audio through the effect, just like the audio would go through a delay or reverb effect. Once done, you stop recording in Vocal Tune Studio and then it will start to behave as an 'effect' since it received the audio necessary to analyze and do pitch and time correction.

• @dwrae said:

@Samu said:

That's not a problem. No need for file access from the host. You would set Vocal Tune Studio (AUv3) into 'recording' mode, then let the DAW play the original audio through the effect, just like the audio would go through a delay or reverb effect. Once done, you stop recording in Vocal Tune Studio and then it will start to behave as an 'effect' since it received the audio necessary to analyze and do pitch and time correction.

So in practice it would just create a duplicate copy of the original recording and work on that since it can’t modify the source.

• @dwrae i really like the GUI this one. I will be purchasing when it drops even if not a heavy AEMS user. This is something that needs to be supported. And can’t wait for overall UI changes.
    In regards to AUv3, I believe it’s time developers really catch up with iOS features. Like it’s 2022 and only Neon and your app have the ability to copy to and from music Apps. This in my opinion is not acceptable.
    Imagine you made this AUv3 and general drag and drop is implemented in Cubasis and other host, this would mean, record in host, drag wav file into vocal studio, do edit and drag it back into host timeline. This would make things soo easy. I Can’t understand why developers refuse to implement the general drag and drop feature.

@Samu i think with Cubasis the main issue could be financial. I think Steinberg figured out that if certain features are implemented on the £50 app, people might prefer that price rather than desktop version. Or Maybe Steinberg wants us to use Cubasis as a Cubase companion for now.
    But you are right it’s 2022 and ios has evolved but our developers don’t seem to wanna move with the os. Or rather some of us are also stubborn staying on old os making it hard for developers to stay in sync in the times.

• edited November 2022

@Paa89 said:
    Imagine you made this AUv3 and general drag and drop is implemented in Cubasis and other host, this would mean, record in host, drag wav file into vocal studio, do edit and drag it back into host timeline. This would make things soo easy.

Why make it difficult with all this drag and drop business when it is not needed? It's a workflow that will get annoying soon: every time you want to make a change you would need to drag and drop.

I'm not even sure you could drag and drop from a host to a AUv3 running within the host. Possibly. The only benefit of that would be that instead of recording the played audio on the track, you give the plugin the audio to work on. But it wouldn't know the time at which it should play. Or the plugin wouldn't process any realtime audio and would just be some odd editor, waiting for the audio to be dragged back. And dragging and dropping within a DAW would be a nightmare on phones.

So for a standalone app, that would indeed be the workflow, but that is unacceptable for me.

For an AUv3 plug-in running in the host, I think recording the audio from the host as the first pass is a must. Think about timing and multiple clips on the track and being able to listen to the vocals within the mix and performing timing correction. I have already long thought this out. Well, that's not fair, others have before me, like AT Pro, Waves etc.

• So just to clarify: In addition to note per note Pitch correction, there’s also going to be a way to scoot the Timing of notes if a note was too soon or too late? I’m talking about Audio notes not MIDI.

• edited November 2022

@dwrae said:

@Paa89 said:
    Imagine you made this AUv3 and general drag and drop is implemented in Cubasis and other host, this would mean, record in host, drag wav file into vocal studio, do edit and drag it back into host timeline. This would make things soo easy.

Why make it difficult with all this drag and drop business when it is not needed? It's a workflow that will get annoying soon: every time you want to make a change you would need to drag and drop.

I'm not even sure you could drag and drop from a host to a AUv3 running within the host. Possibly. The only benefit of that would be that instead of recording the played audio on the track, you give the plugin the audio to work on. But it wouldn't know the time at which it should play. Or the plugin wouldn't process any realtime audio and would just be some odd editor, waiting for the audio to be dragged back.

So for a standalone app, that would indeed be the workflow, but that is unacceptable for me.

For an AUv3 plug-in running in the host, I think recording the audio from the host as the first pass is a must. Think about timing and multiple clips on the track and being able to listen to the vocals within the mix and performing timing correction. I have already long thought this out. Well, that's not fair, others have before me, like AT Pro, Waves etc.

@dwrae said:

@Paa89 said:

I'm not even sure you could drag and drop from a host to a AUv3 running within the host. Possibly. The only benefit of that would be that instead of recording the played audio on the track, you give the plugin the audio to work on. But it wouldn't know the time at which it should play. Or the plugin wouldn't process any realtime audio and would just be some odd editor, waiting for the audio to be dragged back.

drag and drop does work between host and auv3 and from auv3 to host. most of 4pockets auv3 have that implemented .have a look :

what would the price for vocal tune studio be?

• edited November 2022

@NoiseHorse said:
    So just to clarify: In addition to note per note Pitch correction, there’s also going to be a way to scoot the Timing of notes if a note was too soon or too late? I’m talking about Audio notes not MIDI.

Yes, although there cannot be overlapping notes. The audio is presented as midi notes, but it isn't midi. You can export it as midi though, but that's a different matter.

So you double click/tap the start or end of a note, which will add a stretch point and usually two other stretch points before and after it are automatically created to limit the area of stretching. Otherwise the entire clip will get stretched. You can also select a group of notes and apply stretching to that or add arbitrary stretch points.

Edit: you can also start VTS in time correction mode which would not do pitch correction or show 'notes'. Instead, you see the audio wave form and can set time stretch points at arbitrary places and move them to correct timing. So you can do this on any material like drums or guitar.

• @Paa89 said:
    drag and drop does work between host and auv3 and from auv3 to host.
    have a look.

Cool! It would be a problem on a phone however, the host must support it and must have the ability to display the arranger and plugin window at the same time. That next to all other issues I have mentioned.

More expensive than AEMS at least. It's a high value product. Exact pricing will be announced later. To promote AEMS, the price of AEMS+VTS IAP will likely be kept lower than buying VTS separately as a AUv3 plug-in.

• @dwrae said:

@Paa89 said:
    drag and drop does work between host and auv3 and from auv3 to host.
    have a look.

Cool! It would be a problem on a phone however, the host must support it and must have the ability to display the arranger and plugin window at the same time. That next to all other issues I have mentioned.

Just for information purposes, drag and drop is possible on iPhone too. I belive from iOS 14 or 15. Apple implemented multitasking similar to iPadOS. Have a look

More expensive than AEMS at least. It's a high value product. Exact pricing will be announced later. To promote AEMS, the price of AEMS+VTS IAP will likely be kept lower than buying VTS separately as a AUv3 plug-in.

This makes perfectly sense. Since you also have to do extra work to implement AUv3.

• I prefer performing music live with AUM but when I need a DAW, I find AEM to be powerful, intuitive (for a daw... Learning a new one is always a lot to get situated for me), and fun. Very excited to try this!

Now I just need to stop smoking (again) so I can sing (again). And for the more important reasons. 😒

I've observed that @dwrae engages in very direct and substantive/technical conversations about AEM, which is just fantastic. Notice how this wasn't just an announcement post and done? ☺

I'm always impressed by the ongoing development of AEM... Awesome changelogs. Good value. Have it on Android and my IPad.

• Interesting discussion between @Paa89 and @dwrae!

I know the "recording into plugin" concept from the earlier Melodyne days, before ARA was introduced in some DAWs.

Thinking about it, the workflows are so different that imo both drag&drop and native DAW support make sense.

Agreed, AEM follows a great concept on its own. And it's my go-to multitrack recorder on iPhone.

• edited November 2022

Looking forward to another @ipadbeatmaking video on this new feature . He pretty much sold a lot of us on AEM. Everyday it seems like a new surprise on it . Davey said multicore is coming down the line … I mean how good is this thing gonna get? Scary to think.. Ok, going back to work on going through this user manual . @dwrae , thanks again!! I’ll be buying Vocal Tone Studio as soon as it’s released

• @Telstar5 said:
    Looking forward to another @ipadbeatmaking video on this new feature . He pretty much sold a lot of us on AEM. Everyday it seems like a new surprise on it . Davey said multicore is coming down the line … I mean how good is this thing gonna get? Scary to think.. Ok, going back to work on going through this user manual . @dwrae , thanks again!! I’ll be buying Vocal Tone Studio as soon as it’s released

Me too

• Will it be possible to shift formants (say shifting only the formants when there is no pitch shift going on) regardless of pitch shift?

• @janpieter said:
    Will it be possible to shift formants (say shifting only the formants when there is no pitch shift going on) regardless of pitch shift?

Although it's technically possible of course, at least initially there won't be a slider for it.

• @dwrae said:

@janpieter said:
    Will it be possible to shift formants (say shifting only the formants when there is no pitch shift going on) regardless of pitch shift?

Although it's technically possible of course, at least initially there won't be a slider for it.

I hope you would be willing to consider in the future. Gives some influence over a voice's character if used subtly.

• @janpieter said:
    I hope you would be willing to consider in the future. Gives some influence over a voice's character if used subtly.

Sure, it could be an option, but it probably needs sacrificing another slider when enabled.

• @dwrae said:

@janpieter said:

Sure, it could be an option, but it probably needs sacrificing another slider when enabled.

Thank you!

• Oh wow finally some good vocal offerings 🤩 the last missing piece of IOS music making for me. Really dope, can’t wait to test this. Would love to have it as an auv3. The recording version idea sounds great. Would love to do it like that. Way better than my current work flow 👍🏻