Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2022 iPad bad?

This guy thinks so…

Comments

• Good review that - glad I bought my Air 4 last year!

• Yeah in the UK the prices have gone mad. All prices are up by a lot. It's actually much worse on the higher-end models: last year a 1TB 12.9 iPad Pro was £1600, this year the M2 equivalent is £2200, it's nuts.

I was going to buy a 12.9 M2, but at those prices it's not worth it. I found a 1TB 12.9 M1 model at John Lewis for £1500, it might have seemed expensive but compared to this year's equivalent (with a meagre 15% more performance), it's a bargain.

• Seems like a hyperbolic response…and overlooks that international pricing is going to be influenced when currencies change dramatically in their value.

In September, the pound’s value was 78% of what it was a year previous. The price changes he mentions are in line with that change in value. The pound has rebounded a bit since then, but no company constantly revises suggested retail prices.

It is hard to know whether the price change reflects an attempt to increase profit or is a reflection of cost increases. The guy attributing all aspects of the price changes to greed without mentioning any of the other factors in play , seems weak.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Seems like a hyperbolic response…and overlooks that international pricing is going to be influenced when currencies change dramatically in their value.

In September, the pound’s value was 78% of what it was a year previous. The price changes he mentions are in line with that change in value. The pound has rebounded a bit since then, but no company constantly revises suggested retail prices.

It is hard to know whether the price change reflects an attempt to increase profit or is a reflection of cost increases. The guy attributing all aspects of the price changes to greed without mentioning any of the other factors in play , seems weak.

The value of the pound may well be a factor, but the price increases are much greater than the currency swings alone. Prices are up 40% on some models. That's a huge increase, 4x the current inflation rate.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Seems like a hyperbolic response…and overlooks that international pricing is going to be influenced when currencies change dramatically in their value.

Thing is, we’re being hit with massive price increases for everything else here in the UK, and a 7% drop in living standards. This means as customers we have less money to spend on Apple’s products.

Since Apple are one of the richest companies on the planet, they could have held back on their price increases for a while. My business definitely isn’t one of the richest, but I’ve held back on raising my prices as I know my clients are struggling too.

These are horrible increases, and will just mean we’ll seek cheaper deals and hang on to older devices for longer.

• I think the problem with this generation of iPads, particularly the Pro models, is that the year-on-year upgrades have been very minor, but coupled with enormous price increases (in the UK at least), so it really doesn't make for a compelling purchase.

In terms of value for money, finding a discounted M1 model from last year is going to be a much better deal. If the performance differences were more significant that would change the equation, but 40% more money for a roughly 15% increase in performance just doesn't make sense.

• @richardyot said:
    I think the problem with this generation of iPads, particularly the Pro models, is that the year-on-year upgrades have been very minor, but coupled with enormous price increases (in the UK at least), so it really doesn't make for a compelling purchase.

In terms of value for money, finding a discounted M1 model from last year is going to be a much better deal. If the performance differences were more significant that would change the equation, but 40% more money for a roughly 15% increase in performance just doesn't make sense.

Performance seems out of kilter at the moment with the capacity for most apps to take advantage of it anyway. I’ve yet to stress out this Air 4 music app wise - I can load a ton of AU’s and it still copes fine - ditto graphics apps.

I guess for video and 3d editing the newer models will come in handy, but for most users even the M1 will be overkill.

I’ll probably buy a refurb or older M1 Pro model when this packs up - or if money’s tight, even another Air 4!

• @richardyot said:
    I think the problem with this generation of iPads, particularly the Pro models, is that the year-on-year upgrades have been very minor, but coupled with enormous price increases (in the UK at least), so it really doesn't make for a compelling purchase.

That’s what I was hoping for as well however it turns out that finding a used M1 (256+wifi model) where I live from a trusty source is nearly impossible. I’m on the lookout though… hope to hunt one down soon :)

• Don't get me wrong. I hate the price increases. Apple's having becoming ever-more premium priced has kept me hanging on to devices for many years and has kept me from upgrading. But that video, in my opinion, is over-the-top and somewhat misleading by conflating the price increase AND the loss in value of the pound and attributing all the changes to "Apple screwing their customers" .

The price increases of the new models is pretty big -- but that is a different issue from the the old UK price or and the new UK price for the same model. For example, he gasps that 569 to 669 for the same iPad is 100 pounds. Unless my math s off that is a price jump of 17%. The value of the pound between Sept 2021 and 2022 dropped 22% (1.38 to 1.08). So, the price difference is slightly less than the devaluation of the pound that occurred.

• The good thing is that the iPad is a really quality product and lasts for years. I have a Pro2 and imagine it’ll be good for quite a few years still, especially with a battery replacement in the future.
    The problem is when you hit the iOS system ceiling.

• edited November 2022

absolutely happy with 9th gen (especially with battery life).
    seen 2022 models pricing and got a spare 9th gen unit while they're still available new.

and that ridiculously priced 2022 stuff even does not have phones out anymore.

• Haha lol no… Everytime a new iPad comes out it’s the same thing with these posts…ppl trying to justify not upgrading…and people feed into this rubbish…

Latest and greatest ppl…it just keeps getting better…

• @nerVe said:
    Latest and greatest ppl…it just keeps getting better…

well, i'm also still on 2012 Mac Mini – because it still just gets the jobs done.
    i know that technically recent machines are better.
    but this is not enough to make me spend my time & money on learning new quirks and discovering new incompatibilities with my trusted software.

• edited November 2022

The new basic iPad - with its awful price and lack of added capability or headphones out - sold me on the previous model.

The M2 Pro model - with its awful price and lack of added capability to what is already an overkill - sold me on a refurbished M1.

So I bought stuff and felt good about beating the system. But what if this is Apple's actual business model in the first place? 🙂

• This new ipad seals the deal that I won't be getting another ipad in the future. I just really like the headphone jack and don't feel like buying more USBC dongles. This also just seems like apple want's to kill off one of it's lineup and force people onto the Air.

• @chaocrator said:
    seen 2022 models pricing and got a spare 9th gen unit while they're still available new.

I have worn out the phones output on 3 iPads now.

In a way I prefer the adapter style now!

Also worth mentioning that the adapter performs as good or better than expensive DAC’s.

• New iPad 10th gen or iPad Air 4th gen? Apple are doing refurbished Airs with 256gb for about $900 here in Australia. Need it for my daughters schooling, rather than my good self.

• @BroCoast said:

@chaocrator said:

Also worth mentioning that the adapter performs as good or better than expensive DAC’s.

You probably won't say that anymore once you've accidentally broken the USB-C port 😉

• @rs2000 said:

@BroCoast said:

@chaocrator said:

You probably won't say that anymore once you've accidentally broken the USB-C port 😉

Probably. 10,000 insertion cycles isn’t all that much!

• @BroCoast said:

@rs2000 said:

@BroCoast said:

@chaocrator said:

Probably. 10,000 insertion cycles isn’t all that much!

Actually I had in mind that sometimes the iPad drops. The classic headphones port always survived it here, with the USB-C dongle I'm not sure.

• I know one day I’ll have to leave my 12.9 pro2 behind. So, it’s almost inevitable I will be using a USB
    three yrs from now, so wom’t they be using the next thing?

I don’t move it out of the house so I imagine I would leave the adaptor plugged in. Can you charge through it as well?

No headphone Jack. Fragile port. Anything I else I should worry about? Won’t it just be plugged into my head in five years… or, better, Bluetoothed into my brain?

• I think there’s been a video like this for every iPad version ever released.