Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Embraceable You (acoustic cover)

edited November 2022 in Creations

Cover of the George and Ira Gershwin song, deeply inspired by the Chet Baker version.
This one is a tricky one for me to play and sing at the same time... I've been working on it for many years... Getting close ! Hoping some of you will enjoy despite some vocals pitch imperfections.

Comments

• this rendition is close to perfection. just WOW. <3

• Absolutely gorgeous! Your guitar playing is amazing and I believe you channeled Chet! Chet is a favorite of mine.

• Hi @JanKun ,
    I am with @jo92346 and @Bootsy , very classy and amazingly perfect guitar accompaniment.
    I know how hard this "one-take" perfection, and I am really impressed by this recording.
    This is perfection, and excellence, rolled into one very nice take!!!
    Simply a beauty!!!
    Rene

• edited November 2022

A Frenchman living in Japan playing Gershwin and channeling Chet Baker. Wonderful!

• I really like the quality of your voice in this. Smooth but sometimes with a gentle bit of raspyness, almost like a whisper that adds to the intimacy that is the perfect tone for "Embraceable You".

• Beautifully done @JanKun.
    I’m also a big fan of Chet Baker. You did not disappoint.
    I think yourself and @Bootsy would make a great duo.

• Terrific performance, and masterful guitar playing.

• Top performance, les larmes aux yeux

• @jo92346 said:
    this rendition is close to perfection. just WOW. <3

Thank you for watching ! Coming from you, this is a great compliment. Glad you enjoyed !

• @Bootsy said:
    Absolutely gorgeous! Your guitar playing is amazing and I believe you channeled Chet! Chet is a favorite of mine.

Thank you for watching! It is probably noticeable, but when playing this song, my brain CPU stays in the red zone all along... It requires a quiet place, lots of concentration and breath control to reach the end of the song. Maybe it would be easier with a nice beer 😉 !
    Chet was an amazing musician, and what a life he had...

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    Hi @JanKun ,
    I am with @jo92346 and @Bootsy , very classy and amazingly perfect guitar accompaniment.
    I know how hard this "one-take" perfection, and I am really impressed by this recording.
    This is perfection, and excellence, rolled into one very nice take!!!
    Simply a beauty!!!
    Rene

With your long experience shooting live performances, I take your comment as a real encouragement. Thank you for watching and for your kind words !

• @LinearLineman said:
    A Frenchman living in Japan playing Gershwin and channeling Chet Baker. Wonderful!

Among all the amazing women who have been singing the jazz and the blues, you had to pick my favourite! How did you know? Was it so easy ? Am I an open book ?

• @MadeofWax said:
    I really like the quality of your voice in this. Smooth but sometimes with a gentle bit of raspyness, almost like a whisper that adds to the intimacy that is the perfect tone for "Embraceable You".

Thank you for watching and for the kind words. The raspyness might come from the fact I am having a hard time playing a relatively complex guitar part (for my ability) and singing at the same. Glad you enjoyed it. It is the first time that I find small sounds like breath and mouth sounds add something to the performance. This also might have something to do with the intimacy you're describing ! Thanks again !

• @Ben said:
    Beautifully done @JanKun.

Thank you for watching ! Chet's voice and trumpet are irresistible !

I would definitely be honoured to collaborate with @Bootsy, he has an amazing voice, great guitar playing and feeling and I believe we have many influences in common, and more importantly, he is a brewer, so he can't be a bad guy 😄 !

• McDMcD
    edited November 2022

Wow… your interest in a vast array of musical genres is really impressive.

I was drawn to watching your guitar playing: the tone and movement in the accompaniment on the first listen. Guitar players will recognize a very solid guitar technique… years of effort.

Before the second listen I decided give the Chet Baker version a spin. Wow again. Voice, Guitar and upright bass.

I can see why @JanKun as a guitar player was attracted to this version to cover.

The Chet Baker recording was made in 1957 and never released until Pacific Jazz put it out in 1995… 7 years after Baker’s death. Baker strips the melody down to a non-vibrato tone (which is really hard for most of us to do and nail every pitch). There’s the occasional vibrato on the very end of a note.

James Taylor sings lin this non-vibrato style too. Sometimes on his live work I can hear him miss a note here or there but playing guitar like he does and playing complex finger picking is a real challenge. He also has the most competent bands with musicians like Larry Goldings, Steve Gadd, etc.

So, a second listen and Sure enough… no vibrato which for most of us would be the hallmark of untrained singer and riddled with pitch problems. But @jankun nails the intonation which brings you in to focus on other information like lyrics, the human details of the sounds like emotional content.

I’m glad we didn’t have to wait 48 years to hear this but I suspect there’s a lot of @jankun recordings buried in his vault due to small technical issues that make him hold back.

• @richardyot said:
    Terrific performance, and masterful guitar playing.

Thank you for watching, Richard !
    This is my first recording using my new audio interface. I eventually went the same way as you, and I don't regret my choice. The SSL2 is stellar and just right for my workflow. Incredibly straightforward in use, powerful and quiet preamps, works perfectly with my mics and small detail like muting the track for a few seconds when turning on/off the phantom power is pretty neat. I was afraid the 4k would be gimmicky, but after some experiments, I can definitely imagine using it in certain situations. I can really understand your praises now !

• @cuscolima said:
    Top performance, les larmes aux yeux

Merci pour l'écoute. Je suis heureux que ça te plaise !

• @JanKun said:

@Ben said:
    Beautifully done @JanKun.

Thank you for watching ! Chet's voice and trumpet are irresistible !

I would definitely be honoured to collaborate with @Bootsy, he has an amazing voice, great guitar playing and feeling and I believe we have many influences in common, and more importantly, he is a brewer, so he can't be a bad guy 😄 !

The honor would be mine for sure. I am definitely not worthy! But I would love to try something any ideas? I'm not a bad guy im just drawn that way. :D

• @McD said:
    Wow… your interest in a vast array of musical genres is really impressive.

I was drawn to watching your guitar playing: the tone and movement in the accompaniment on the first listen. Guitar players will recognize a very solid guitar technique… years of effort.

Before the second listen I decided give the Chet Baker version a spin. Wow again. Voice, Guitar and upright bass.

I can see why @JanKun as a guitar player was attracted to this version to cover.

The Chet Baker recording was made in 1957 and never released until Pacific Jazz put it out in 1995… 7 years after Baker’s death. Baker strips the melody down to a non-vibrato tone (which is really hard for most of us to do and nail every pitch). There’s the occasional vibrato on the very end of a note.

James Taylor sings lin this non-vibrato style too. Sometimes on his live work I can hear him miss a note here or there but playing guitar like he does and playing complex finger picking is a real challenge. He also has the most competent bands with musicians like Larry Goldings, Steve Gadd, etc.

So, a second listen and Sure enough… no vibrato which for most of us would be the hallmark of untrained singer and riddled with pitch problems. But @jankun nails the intonation which brings you in to focus on other information like lyrics, the human details of the sounds like emotional content.

I’m glad we didn’t have to wait 48 years to hear this but I suspect there’s a lot of @jankun recordings buried in his vault due to small technical issues that make him hold back.

Thank you for watching and for your very detailed comment.
    I didn't know the song had not been released until 1995. It is understandable as it was probably not his best piece of work, but I enjoyed working on it because of the very simple configuration.

My rendition is far from perfect. I like the guitar but I am not convinced by my singing. As you pointed out it is very bare, and non vibrato singing. This comes from the fact that I am doing two things at the same time. When singing it without playing guitar, I can be more focused and bring more expressivity but I don't have that space when playing the guitar.
    So you might wonder why I chose to make a live rendition of it, when I could have probably get a better singing and better guitar playing if tracked separately. My only answer is that I got tiered of working this way. It is nice to be able track on and on until you get the right one but I also feel that something is lost on the way, the essence of performing...

I am not the greatest performer and I work on those videos to keep reminding me of that. This is a great way to see my limitations and try to improve. And this also a nice way to learn to let go and learn to live with my own limitations at a given time.

It is a nice exercice. I set the rule to make only three takes per song and choose the best one. If none are listenable it means I am either not ready yet or that it was not the right day and discard.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to watch and commenting!

• That 3 take rule is clever… especially when you have multiple projects and collaborations going on in parallel.

• Really fantastic JF! So damn good. 👏 👏

• edited November 2022

@McD said:
    That 3 take rule is clever… especially when you have multiple projects and collaborations going on in parallel.

Found time to spend listening to your Piano Frenzy today. God, this thing is insanely good. I will need some time to assimilate it, but I am sure eventually some interesting things will come. Each listen is different and bring new angles. That is deep s... you created !

• @Gavinski said:
    Really fantastic JF! So damn good. 👏 👏

Thank you for watching, liking and subscribing, Gavin, this means a lot to me !

• @JanKun said:

@McD said:
    That 3 take rule is clever… especially when you have multiple projects and collaborations going on in parallel.

Found time to spend listening to your Piano Frenzy today. God, this thing is insanely good. I will need some time to assimilate it, but I am sure eventually some interesting things will come. Each listen is different and bring new angles. That is deep s... you created !

The first 24 bars in 9/8 were composed…. Everything after that is “cut and paste” of the materials in the 24 bars but dropped into various shorter time signatures where excess notes are just dropped with the weird exception of 2/4 where the notes get converted into 5/8 and marked as “red” indicating the notes don’t match. But my favorite thing is that this project bleeding red sections continues to just play with a constant 8th note stream. My favorite run is the 4/4 section where the 9/8 grouping of 3-3-3 gets truncated into groups of 3-3-2 and sounds very hip Latin.

I hope it inspires some wonderful music from your creative mind…

• Great version… wish I could stick to 3 takes per piece 🤔

• Wonderful, @JanKun!

• Amazing performance, @JanKun! Thanks for sharing.

• @Dav said:
    Wonderful, @JanKun!

Thank you very much for watching !

• @pbelgium said:
    Amazing performance, @JanKun! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for watching Paul ! Hope you're doing well !