Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free desktop music visualizer

edited November 2022 in Desktop

Just discovered the projectM opensource visualizer which grew out of Milkdrop on WinAmp. Pretty amazing visuals - an inbuilt library of presets can be extended with any that are Milkdrop compatible - there are tens of thousands out there...

Basically, you can have the app listen and react to any audio (you'll need something like Soundflower or Loopback on a Mac) and there are hotkeys to interact live with the visuals...

Github page here: https://github.com/projectM-visualizer/projectm
Free Steam download here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1358800/projectM_Music_Visualizer/

I couldn't find any up to date installer packages on github, just the source code so looks like Steam may be the easiest way to grab it for Mac / Windows at the moment - I'll check with the dev team.

Comments

• It is in the Google Play Store for Android.

• @mojozart said:
    It is in the Google Play Store for Android.

Thanks!

• I have enough of Apple not removing restrictions for GPLed software. FU Apple, I‘ll sell my iPad 😡

• Thanks for removing an hour or so by having me chase around to see if anyone’s put this on a Raspberry Pi

What I could really do with is a thing that is more a synthesiser than a visualiser at heart, something that can coast along (by reverting to visualiser) or I can take over and fly (by offering control affordances and acting like a synth) and possibly also allowing clip launching (of either control sequences, or bits of graphic motion, gifs, svg animation, video clips etc).

Jeff Minter’s old Trip-A-Tron was in many ways some of the above (but for old tech back in the 16-bit days)

• @krassmann said:
    I have enough of Apple not removing restrictions for GPLed software. FU Apple, I‘ll sell my iPad 😡

Funny enough, I've already considered getting a good spec Windows tablet with headphones port. Now if only Bluetooth worked better on Windows... 🤔

• hmm that thing is very...nervous when playing ambient music... :D

• @dobbs said:
    hmm that thing is very...nervous when playing ambient music... :D

projectM? You can adjust sensitivity to beats using the up and down arrow keys. I've used it with ambient and it can be quite subtle.