Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BYOD Public Beta

Comments

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    With either the released or beta version the interface goes unresponsive in AUM, can’t change settings etc. iPad os 16.1.1

Interesting... I've been testing on iPadOS 16.2 with AUM version 1.4.2, but haven't been able to re-create this issue.

@cramdog said:
    Hi. I'm sorry if my report has already been reported by someone else or if it is currently being fixed.
    Using the plus/minus buttons on the bottom left of the screen of BYOD 1.0.9 (1.0.9), the cables and modules are misaligned. It happens both standalone and when loaded into AUM.
    (But it may be because my iPadOS is not the latest version.)
    iPadOS14.8.1 / iPadPro10.5

Yes, this was a known issue, that should be fixed in the upcoming TestFlight build!

@cramdog said:
    I'm not an English speaker so sorry for my poor writing.

BYOD 1.0.9 (1.0.9)
    -In my case, every time I launch BYOD, whether standalone or loaded into AUM, it asks me if I want to sign in with my Apple ID.
    BYOD 1.0.2 (1.0.2) asks me as well.

Hmm, I haven't been seeing this on my end, but I wonder if that's because of some way that I'm running the app/plugin as a developer. I'll have to investigate this a bit more.

The other two issues you mentioned (issues with the preset navigation arrows and cancelling an Add-On Pack purchase) I've been able to recreate on my end, so I'll be working on those later this week.

Thanks all for the helpful bug reports!

• @chowdsp : the AU parameter names being updated is EPIC! Thanks so much for doing that.

• edited November 2022

I use the spoiler feature of the forum because this post is a bit long.
    (I have no intention of hiding my post.)

@chowdsp
    Thank you so much.
    I read espiegel123's post above and compared that feature of BYOD to the behavior of other multi-FX apps I own, and it seems no app I own has an app like BYOD that reflects(?) the loaded modules in the AUM AU parameters. I think BYOD is awesome for being able to do that. (But I don’t have enough knowledge or experience to understand exactly how awesome it is.)

BYOD 1.0.10 (1.0.10)
    (This report is basically a study of BYOD 1.0.9 (1.0.9) behavior, so BYOD 1.0.10 (1.0.10) may behave differently. Sorry if my report is inaccurate.)

-The delete preset feature will probably not work for user presets that existed before the BYOD was activated.

-When saving presets, it would be easier to use if the category initially displayed the name of the bank(?) created by a user.

-The rules for the preset search feature are not clear.
    The preset search feature can be used as a preset list that can reside on the screen, so it might be easier to select presets if the search feature works well.
    It may be useful if the search feature can be used as a user preset list or factory preset list when searching for "user" or "chow".

Examples of using the search feature I found confusing.

• When "use" is entered in a search, user presets appear in the search results.
      However, if "user" is entered, user presets do not appear in the search results.

• When "preset2" is searched for, "preset2" and "preset" appear in the search results. But in this case, I do not want "preset" to appear.

• If the alphabet is not entered in upper case, the search may not be performed as a user intended. For example, when "MXR" is entered, "MXR" appears, but not "MXR" if "mxr" is entered.
      But in this case, I want both "mxr" and "MXR" to appear when I type "mxr".

• The target search result will not appear unless more than one character is entered. For example, to get "J Mascis" to appear when entering "j", a user would need to enter an uppercase "J" and whitespace.
      But in this case, I want all presets containing "j" to appear as soon as the lower case "j" is entered.

• When searching for "hen"drix, four presets appear, including CHOW Centaur under "hen". I think the response is split(?) between "h" in the category "CHOW" and "en" in the preset name "Centaur".
      (And I do not want CHOW Centaur to appear when I enter "he".)

• @cramdog said:
    I use the spoiler feature of the forum because this post is a bit long.
    (I have no intention of hiding my post.)

@chowdsp
    Thank you so much.
    I read espiegel123's post above and compared that feature of BYOD to the behavior of other multi-FX apps I own, and it seems no app I own has an app like BYOD that reflects(?) the loaded modules in the AUM AU parameters. I think BYOD is awesome for being able to do that. (But I don’t have enough knowledge or experience to understand exactly how awesome it is.)

Thanks guys! Yeah the dynamic parameter behaviour ended up being a bit trickier than I had anticipated, so I'm glad it's working well. I've posted my code to the JUCE forum, so hopefully some other JUCE plugins that could benefit from this sort of behaviour can build on that.

-The delete preset feature will probably not work for user presets that existed before the BYOD was activated.

I'm not sure I totally understand this. If BYOD has not been run on a device, then there should not be any user preset present on the device. Once the user saves some presets, then they should be able to delete those presets without issue.

Thanks for the notes on the preset search functionality as well! I have a few ideas for how to improve that feature basedon your feedback, though I'm not sure that will make it into version 1.1.0.

• edited November 2022

@chowdsp said:
    I'm not sure I totally understand this. If BYOD has not been run on a device, then there should not be any user preset present on the device. Once the user saves some presets, then they should be able to delete those presets without issue.

I’m sorry. My explanation was incorrect. I try to rewrite it.

-In order to use the Delete Preset feature of BYOD, a new user preset has to be saved each time BYOD is started, in my environment.

-When using the Delete Preset feature of BYOD, "Preset Deletion" of BYOD may or may not be displayed.
    -I have not been able to determine if there are any conditions, other than saving new user preset, that would make the Delete Preset feature available.
    -The conditions under which the Delete Preset feature becomes available are different when BYOD is standalone and when BYOD is loaded into AUM. The conditions for the standalone case I could not identify.

BYOD 1.0.10 (1.0.10)
    Steps to reproduce a situation where the "Preset Deletion" does not appear
    Uninstall BYOD.
    Install BYOD.
    Load BYOD into AUM.
    Use the "Save Preset As" feature of BYOD.
    Enter "a" in the Name field and save the file. (The Category can be left blank.)
    Unload BYOD from AUM.
    Load BYOD into AUM.
    Select user preset "a" of BYOD.
    Use the "Delete Preset" feature of BYOD.
    Preset Deletion (OK/CANCEL) of BYOD dose not appear.

Steps to reproduce a situation where the "Preset Deletion" appears
    Uninstall BYOD.
    Install BYOD.
    Load BYOD into AUM.
    Use the "Save Preset As" feature of BYOD.
    Enter "b" in Name and save it. (The Category can be left blank.)
    Use the "Delete Preset" feature of BYOD.
    Preset Deletion (OK/CANCEL) of BYOD appears.

Below is a new report.

In standalone, BYOD 1.0.10 (1.0.10) crashed the moment I typed "n" in the preset search window.
    I waited for the test flight app question to appear, something like "Would you like to report using the beta feedback feature?", but it didn’t appear.

BYOD 1.0.10 (1.0.10) loaded on AUM crashed a few times when I tried to use the preset search feature as well.
    However, I cannot recall the detailed circumstances(?). I think it crashed the moment I typed a few letters of an alphabet in the search window, but I could be wrong.

• @cramdog said:

@chowdsp said:

I’m sorry. My explanation was incorrect. I try to rewrite it.

-In order to use the Delete Preset feature of BYOD, a new user preset has to be saved each time BYOD is started, in my environment.

Got it, thanks for elaborating! Several of the issues that you found are all related to issues with showing an iOS "alert window", particularly from the AUv3 plugin. I've had a few issues with the corresponding thing on desktop as well, so I've been moving all of those types of things to use an alert view that is contained within the plugin. Your bug reports helped me track down a few other issues to that I wasn't previously aware of so thanks for that!

Anyway there should be a new build available on TestFlight later today or tomorrow.

• @chowdsp
    I forgot to mention, thanks for posting the code on the Juce forum.
    I see iOS/iPadOS apps involving(?) Juce every once in a while, so I see a day in the future when that code will be useful to others.
    (I basically don't know which apps use Juce, except for the ones mentioned by developers in this forum.)

BYOD 1.0.10 (1.0.10)
    Behavioral issues(?) with BYOD loaded in AUM

The main(?) settings of BYOD can be controlled with the virtual knob of AUM that appears to the left of the BYOD icon.
    However, if that virtual knob is set to a parameter of the BYOD module and then set to the main settings of BYOD, the main settings of BYOD cannot be controlled from the virtual knob of AUM.
    -The main settings I mentioned are as follows.
    Oversampling Factor, Oversampling Mode, Oversampling Factor (render), Oversampling Mode (render), Oversampling (render like real-time),
    Mode, In Gain, Out Gain, Dry/Wet

The knob for each module of BYOD app itself cannot be controlled from AUM’s virtual knob that appears to the left of BYOD app icon.
    -But for all modules of BYOD, I have not checked.
    -Incidentally, a user can control the knob of BYOD modules loaded in AUM from the knob of KB-1 app loaded in AUM.

After loading a saved session in AUM, or after using the "DUPLICATE" feature of a node, or after using the "SELECT" and "COPY HERE" features of a node, the AU parameters of each BYOD module are set to Blank.
    However, adding a module or deleting a module will re-link(?) the AU parameter states(?) of AUM to the existing modules of BYOD.

• @cramdog said:
    @chowdsp
    I forgot to mention, thanks for posting the code on the Juce forum.
    I see iOS/iPadOS apps involving(?) Juce every once in a while, so I see a day in the future when that code will be useful to others.
    (I basically don't know which apps use Juce, except for the ones mentioned by developers in this forum.)

No problem!

BYOD 1.0.10 (1.0.10)
    Behavioral issues(?) with BYOD loaded in AUM

I was able to figure out the issue with the "left side" knobs in AUM, that part wasn't too bad. The copy/duplicate issue seems to be a bit more subtle... I may have to reach out to the AUM devs to try to get some more information about that.

• edited November 2022

BYOD 1.0.11 (1.0.11)
    By tapping the "Search" feature of BYOD, "Presets Search" window will appear.
    In the upper right corner of that window, there is a red "X" button.
    However, if BYOD(AUv3) window size is small, the red X button will not appear.
    I think it is hard to use BYOD(AUv3) if the red X button is not "always" displayed, even if the window size of BYOD(AUv3) is small.
    Because if the red X button is not visible to a user, that user cannot easily turn off the "Presets Search" window.

Two screenshots are attached.
    -Example of a red X button
    -Example of a hidden red X button

• BYOD 1.0.11 (1.0.11)
    When the current preset name (Default) of BYOD loaded in AUM, apeMatrix, BeatMaker3, Drambo or Zenbeats is tapped and CHOW is tapped, AMP and MODULATION are hidden on the top of the screen.
    If they are tapped, they can be displayed.
    This issue(?) does not occur in Cubasis2, Garageband and NanoStudio2.

• @cramdog said:
    BYOD 1.0.11 (1.0.11)
    By tapping the "Search" feature of BYOD, "Presets Search" window will appear.
    In the upper right corner of that window, there is a red "X" button.
    However, if BYOD(AUv3) window size is small, the red X button will not appear.
    I think it is hard to use BYOD(AUv3) if the red X button is not "always" displayed, even if the window size of BYOD(AUv3) is small.
    Because if the red X button is not visible to a user, that user cannot easily turn off the "Presets Search" window.

-Example of a red X button
    -Example of a hidden red X button

Oh yeah, I had found this issue as well a couple days ago... I spent some time on it today, and I think I've got a fix that will help.

@cramdog said:
    BYOD 1.0.11 (1.0.11)
    When the current preset name (Default) of BYOD loaded in AUM, apeMatrix, BeatMaker3, Drambo or Zenbeats is tapped and CHOW is tapped, AMP and MODULATION are hidden on the top of the screen.
    If they are tapped, they can be displayed.
    This issue(?) does not occur in Cubasis2, Garageband and NanoStudio2.

Yeah, I'm not sure I have much control over which direction the menu shows in the host. However, pressing or dragging to the arrow at the top of the list should show the rest of the entries, so I don't think it's too big of an issue.

By the way I was able to get copy and duplicate actions in AUM to work with the correct parameter tree updates (with a little help from the AUM devs).

• @chowdsp said:
    Yeah, I'm not sure I have much control over which direction the menu shows in the host. However, pressing or dragging to the arrow at the top of the list should show the rest of the entries, so I don't think it's too big of an issue.

No problem. My principle of action(?) in beta app threads is if I find something, I just want to report all about it. It is like a cat bringing its prey to its owner.
    I do not proactively want developers of beta apps to fix or improve on what I have reported. It is like a cat shoving prey into a mouth of a sleeping owner, it is overkill.

@chowdsp said:
    By the way I was able to get copy and duplicate actions in AUM to work with the correct parameter tree updates (with a little help from the AUM devs).

That is awesome. Thank you so much.
    I respect the developer of AUM app and I respect you as well. I’m very happy to hear developers I respect are interacting with each other.

• @chowdsp : is the Centaur implementation in BYOD the same as in the standalone?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @chowdsp : is the Centaur implementation in BYOD the same as in the standalone?

Fundamentally yes, but there's a couple of little differences.

• The Centaur module in BYOD does not have the tone circuit model which is present in ChowCentaur. The tone circuit is present as a seperate module (Treble Booster), which is there in the Centaur preset in BYOD. The motivation for doing it that way is so that the Treble Booster can be used with other drive stages or in other spots in a signal chain (plus you can use other tone stages with the Centaur drive module).

• The Centaur module in BYOD (in traditional mode) uses a slightly more accurate diode model than the one used in ChowCentaur.

• The Centaur module in BYOD (in neural mode) compensates for sample rates that are different from the training sample rate, which ChowCentaur didn't do.

There's also a couple of little performance optimizations, which should have no effect on the sound of the model.

• @chowdsp : thanks for the insights

• edited November 2022

I just discovered this app and had hours of fun with it.

@chowdsp
    Is there any chance that there is a future plan to update the envelope filter to have a negative/inverse envelope? most envelope followers have that option.

Same for the “gate” module. A “default open” gate that closes with a threshold would be useful.

Also, I tried using the gate in every setting, and could not get the gate to open slowly. It just slams open, no matter how gradual I swell the volume into it. I was trying to use it with the mixer module to make an envelope controlled fx loop.

• @Sabicas said:
    I just discovered this app and had hours of fun with it.

Glad you're enjoying the app!

@chowdsp
    Is there any chance that there is a future plan to update the envelope filter to have a negative/inverse envelope? most envelope followers have that option.

Yeah, having an "invert" switch would be cool!

Same for the “gate” module. A “default open” gate that closes with a threshold would be useful.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement, but I'm curious how it might be used in a musical context?

Also, I tried using the gate in every setting, and could not get the gate to open slowly. It just slams open, no matter how gradual I swell the volume into it. I was trying to use it with the mixer module to make an envelope controlled fx loop.

Yeah, the trick might be that we need a longer attack time for the Gate.

One other thing I had thought about was having a generic "Envelope Follower" module, and then modules like the Envelope Filter, Gate, and Compressor, could use the output of that module as an extra input (similar to what we're doing with the "Modulation" modules). I didn't get around to trying out that idea before the latest release, but that could be a cool thing to try out in the future!

• Same for the “gate” module. A “default open” gate that closes with a threshold would be useful.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement, but I'm curious how it might be used in a musical context?

I play steel guitar and have a volume pedal under my foot at all times. I use it as a “sustain” pedal, but also use it for obvious swells. I like to do things like have quiet notes fuzzy but when I push the volume of the steel past a certain point, it cleans up. Sometimes, I only want a delay/echo on quiet notes, as well.

I would use these gates before nodes on the in-app mixer module, to bring in or remove effects depending on what volume stage I’m currently occupying. I hope that makes sense.

One other thing I had thought about was having a generic "Envelope Follower" module, and then modules like the Envelope Filter, Gate, and Compressor, could use the output of that module as an extra input (similar to what we're doing with the "Modulation" modules). I didn't get around to trying out that idea before the latest release, but that could be a cool thing to try out in the future!

Yes! If we could control any module parameter by a separate envelope controller module (with inverse envelope option), that would make the “reverse gate” redundant.

• @Sabicas said:

I play steel guitar and have a volume pedal under my foot at all times. I use it as a “sustain” pedal, but also use it for obvious swells. I like to do things like have quiet notes fuzzy but when I push the volume of the steel past a certain point, it cleans up. Sometimes, I only want a delay/echo on quiet notes, as well.

I would use these gates before nodes on the in-app mixer module, to bring in or remove effects depending on what volume stage I’m currently occupying. I hope that makes sense.

Yes! If we could control any module parameter by a separate envelope controller module (with inverse envelope option), that would make the “reverse gate” redundant.

That would be great.

• @Sabicas said:

I like this 👍

• I see> @espiegel123 said:

@chowdsp : the AU parameter names being updated is EPIC! Thanks so much for doing that.

Can anyone tell me whether a BYOD’s set-up parameters are/should be automatable within Cubasis 3? When used as an insert effect there and trying to record automation using the read/write buttons it doesn’t seem to work..

• edited December 2022

@espiegel123 said:
    @chowdsp : the AU parameter names being updated is EPIC! Thanks so much for doing that.

Seeing the parameter names is amazing. I see them when adding a module. But I seem to lose them when restoring an AUM session. This is with the current AppStore version, 1.1.0. In the pic, you can see that I've MIDI-learned some of them, and they still work, despite being Blank. It would be great if BYOD could treat a data restore as if adding all the modules. iPadOS 16.2, iPad 6.

OK. I just joined the beta, version 1.1.1. My old saved session still has no names. But I created a new BYOD instance, and the names in it are restored with the session. So it looks good, just a bit inconvenient for old sessions.

• @uncledave said:
    Seeing the parameter names is amazing. I see them when adding a module. But I seem to lose them when restoring an AUM session. This is with the current AppStore version, 1.1.0. In the pic, you can see that I've MIDI-learned some of them, and they still work, despite being Blank. It would be great if BYOD could treat a data restore as if adding all the modules. iPadOS 16.2, iPad 6.

Oh interesting... would it be possible to share one of the "old" sessions? I think I should be able to get that working.

• So I've actually run into a bit of an issue with the parameter name refresh feature in GarageBand... basically when loading a project, GarageBand will sometimes crash. I've been investigating the issue with a user in GitHub, and it appears that the issue is related to a bug in GarageBand. Here's the full thread if anyone's curious.

I'm thinking that I'll have to add a setting to the plugin to determine whether or not the plugin reports parameter name changes to the host. I'd like to have this setting be on by default, since having that feature is pretty important in hosts like AUM, but then GarageBand users would have to manually disable the feature in order to avoid crashes. I'm curious if anyone might have other ideas or opinions on whether the feature should be on or off by default.

• @chowdsp said:
    So I've actually run into a bit of an issue with the parameter name refresh feature in GarageBand... basically when loading a project, GarageBand will sometimes crash. I've been investigating the issue with a user in GitHub, and it appears that the issue is related to a bug in GarageBand. Here's the full thread if anyone's curious.

I'm thinking that I'll have to add a setting to the plugin to determine whether or not the plugin reports parameter name changes to the host. I'd like to have this setting be on by default, since having that feature is pretty important in hosts like AUM, but then GarageBand users would have to manually disable the feature in order to avoid crashes. I'm curious if anyone might have other ideas or opinions on whether the feature should be on or off by default.

On by default would probably make more sense. Hopefully it’s a big in GarageBand that will be addressed, as I assume it could affect other plugins too.

• @chowdsp
    Beta BYOD v1.1.7 (1.1.7) issue
    When "Bass" is selected from "IR" menu of "Amp IR" module, "Bogner" is selected. In other words, "Bass" cannot be selected.
    -I checked it with my eyes, not by ear.
    -I checked two BYOD environments. Standalone and AUv3 (in AUM).

And, I have a question about BYOD app.
    Is "Bass" in the "IR" menu of the "Amp IRs" module a suitable cabinet for "electric bass"? Or is it for "electric guitar"?
    (I ask this primitive question because I recently read an article about the somewhat confusing history of Fender "Bass" man amp, which, despite its name, is both a guitar amp and yet also a bass amp. So, as a novice, I'm confused.)

My question is not important at all, so please reply if you have time.
    And thank you so much for developing this wonderful app.

• Hi everyone,

We've been working on version 1.2.0 for BYOD, and have a new beta that's ready for testing. There's been a lot of changes (see the Changelog for the full list), but here's some highlights:

• 9 new processors, including some of my favorite new distortion effects.
    • "Level Tracking" inputs and outputs for some processors. This allows you to do things similar to what you might do with an "Envelope Follower" in the modular synthesizer world.
    • A new "netlist view" for directly editing the circuit schematic for some of the processors that use white-box circuit modelling (probably only for nerds like me :smile:).

Anyway, here's the TestFlight link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/vjQyAhGW

I've been doing my usual rounds of testing with AUM and GarageBand, but if there's additional apps that folks would like me to test with, please let me know!

As always, with beta software, please use a safety limiter, and be aware that any of the new features may change between now and the official release.

Thanks,
    Jatin

• @chowdsp said:
    Hi everyone,

We've been working on version 1.2.0 for BYOD, and have a new beta that's ready for testing. There's been a lot of changes (see the Changelog for the full list), but here's some highlights:

• 9 new processors, including some of my favorite new distortion effects.
    • "Level Tracking" inputs and outputs for some processors. This allows you to do things similar to what you might do with an "Envelope Follower" in the modular synthesizer world.
    • A new "netlist view" for directly editing the circuit schematic for some of the processors that use white-box circuit modelling (probably only for nerds like me :smile:).

Anyway, here's the TestFlight link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/vjQyAhGW

I've been doing my usual rounds of testing with AUM and GarageBand, but if there's additional apps that folks would like me to test with, please let me know!

As always, with beta software, please use a safety limiter, and be aware that any of the new features may change between now and the official release.

Thanks,
    Jatin

I noticed this earlier and updated my beta, excited to test out the distortions. Thanks for all the work you do! Btw, really loving the MultiTool app as well. Very cool.

• edited July 2023

Please test using as AU's in Logic Pro on both iPadOS and macOS. Thank you.

• Flapjack is awesome!