Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Eventide H90, and using the iPad as a hardware FX send

The new Eventide H90 looks amazing, but it costs $899, or €1,199 at Thomann. Plus I already have an H9 that I only use for reverb and delay.

This made me think, how are people using iPads to add effects to their hardware? AUM+audio interface is enough, but let’s get specific. Setups, latency experiences/workarounds, etc.

Comments

• edited November 2022

iPad+AUM+Audio Interface is enough. I don't see a point of the h90 if you have all of those already. Latency will be same if not better than a pedal, plus you have unlimited slots for fx not just 2.

For my hardware / modular, I just record everything in AUM after adding fx, no issues.

• I’m going to play with this later. AUM seems just perfect for this.

• I use an old iPhone 6 for this. For about $150 worth of items you have a pretty capable effects processor.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Plus I already have an H9 that I only use for reverb and delay.

You say that like it’s a bad thing. ;)

• Reminder: Zoom CDR70 exist with a lot of top notch effects at a really good price.

Not sure tone snob can hear the difference. Eventide algorithm are really good but old, not sure it worth so much more than the Zoom CDR70.

• @auxmux said:
    iPad+AUM+Audio Interface is enough. I don't see a point of the h90 if you have all of those already. Latency will be same if not better than a pedal, plus you have unlimited slots for fx not just 2.

For my hardware / modular, I just record everything in AUM after adding fx, no issues.

This. The H90 looks great if you have infinite cash available, but for that kind of money you could invest in an interface with multiple ins and outs and use apps in AUM. And probably have cash to spare.

• That’s how I run my pedalboard.
    Guitar into jhs drive pedal into hxstomp. From there usb audio to iPad and you have all the effects in the world on iOS routed parallel back in through the stomp. Loopy pro and AUM. I’ll never go back to spending 300 bucks on an effect pedal.
    Eventide micro pitch pedal $250
    On iOS : $10

• @celtic_elk said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Plus I already have an H9 that I only use for reverb and delay.

You say that like it’s a bad thing. ;)

😂

• @danbobakov said:
    That’s how I run my pedalboard.
    Guitar into jhs drive pedal into hxstomp. From there usb audio to iPad and you have all the effects in the world on iOS routed parallel back in through the stomp. Loopy pro and AUM. I’ll never go back to spending 300 bucks on an effect pedal.
    Eventide micro pitch pedal $250
    On iOS : $10

Can you explain to me what gear you use to connect your hxstomp to an iPad?

Best,

• I have a MOTU M4, and its 4 ins and outputs allow for effects pedals like the Polymoon to be routed from one pair of outputs to a second pair of inputs. It works pretty well, but be careful with gain. I also can use my iPad as a MIDI controller thanks to Velocity KB and the Roland UM-One Mk II. It works so well with Studio One!

• @bygjohn said:

@auxmux said:

This. The H90 looks great if you have infinite cash available, but for that kind of money you could invest in an interface with multiple ins and outs and use apps in AUM. And probably have cash to spare.

I think it depends on how you bond with company, fx and depends on each individual
    I love eventide stuff and their philosophy because their stuff inspires (each to their own)
    I’m sure H90 ( which I will buy soon) is constructed with careful attention to detail and will inspire and not just 2 H9s together put together for extra moolah
    The guys just know how to put presets/sounds/UI together and plan ahead (Bluetooth,IOS app)
    Think HX effects ( horrible out of the box) and have to tweak endlessly (which some love btw)
    Think IK multimedia hardware , IRIG ,mics, who make first iterations of their hardware completely obsolete , H9 is still going strong…

I like eventide apps , plug-ins too, top notch stuff , not to mention their ecosystem too

I have strymon and neural dsp stuff too , but I don’t necessarily bond with them .

As for the original question using IPad as Fx send does not sound the same to me , compared to plugging it in pedal ( I suppose , there is some technical explanation there ). The effect blends perfectly with guitar and even distortion pedals , on iPad it sound it more “pasted” for lack of better term.
    I found good results with acoustic guitar using iPad as fox send