Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Geoshred Veena Short Demo Vid, going through Unfiltered Audio Tails

Geoshred Veena Short Demo Vid, going through Unfiltered Audio Tails

Moforte and Jordan Rudess’s Geoshred has a wonderful bunch of new Indian and Chinese ethnic instruments available as IAPs - either individually or at a discounted price as a pack. Make sure you are on the latest Geoshred update to get acccess to them via the Geoshred store. I will do a walkthrough on this soon, with a huge giveaway of several full packs of IAPs, worth well over $100 each - make sure you are subbed and have notifications turned on so as not to miss out! Here I turned off the Geoshred internal reverb and instead used Unfiltered Audio Tails on reverb duties. It is currently available as an open beta for iOS here, a link to the beta can be found in the pinned comment.

This video also makes use of the fantastic - and FREE! - Midi Tape Recorder by Uwyn (Geert Bevin, former engineer for Moog and other top synth makers)

https://youtube.com/shorts/kBN-SqMaUVA
Shorts are not embeddable - view in portrait mode

Comments

• Nice demo @Gavinski , there are some great new instruments in this release.
    The GeoShred people are very canny and have really tapped into a rich source of music (and users) here and are going after China now with the Erhu.

• Veena feels at home for a South Indian like me. Thanks for sharing.

• Definitely Tony….these are just beautiful

@GeoTony said:
    Nice demo @Gavinski , there are some great new instruments in this release.
    The GeoShred people are very canny and have really tapped into a rich source of music (and users) here and are going after China now with the Erhu.

@mysore I love Indian music, I loved Mysore when I went there too by the way, that city has a lovely old vibe, and I really love the Veena.

Here is a more ambient treatment of the same short piece, but using Loopmix, FAC transient and Unfiltered Audio’s Tails reverb:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CklhbowhFUd/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• @Gavinski said:

@mysore I love Indian music, I loved Mysore when I went there too by the way, that city has a lovely old vibe, and I really love the Veena.

Here is a more ambient treatment of the same short piece, but using Loopmix, FAC transient and Unfiltered Audio’s Tails reverb:

I am from Mysore (that’s why the handle) :smile: I am glad you loved the city. By the way, your videos on YouTube have been of immense help in trying to learn the iOS music scene. Thank you.

PS: if you like Veena, please search for artist Jayanthi Kumaresh. One of the finest pioneers of Veena, right now.

• @mysore said:

@Gavinski said:

I am from Mysore (that’s why the handle) :smile: I am glad you loved the city. By the way, your videos on YouTube have been of immense help in trying to learn the iOS music scene. Thank you.

PS: if you like Veena, please search for artist Jayanthi Kumaresh. One of the finest pioneers of Veena, right now.

Will do, thank you!

• @mysore said:

@Gavinski said:

Ooof, great recommendation, that guy is incredible!

• Nice,
    Really love the sounds :sunglasses:

I'm having some 'issues' with GeoShred and the 'visibility' of it's Documents folder in Files.app.

This could be related to iPadOS16.1 as I can see the GeoShred folder on my iPhone 8 (iOS16.1) and iPad Air 2 (iPadOS15.7.1) in Files.app.

On the 11" M1 iPadPro I can 'search' for the GeoShred folder in Files.app and it's found but its content is 'empty' even though it clearly has files which can be seen from within the app. (I suspect som permission issues or some missing entries in the .plist file).

Being able to access the folder in Files.app is a very handy way to pick out recordings made in the app as one example.
    For now I guess I'll just have to 'export' the files from within GeoShred until the folder automagically appears in Files.app again.

I've tried all the usual suspects such as re-installing the app, rebooting etc. etc.

This doesn't affect the core functionality of the app but makes backup up of presets a pita as I don't feel like having to connect the iPad to the Mac via cable to copy over the files...

So I'd appreciate that anyone who endured reading thru this 'rant' could kindly check if the have a GeoShred folder visible in the Files.app.

Cheers!

• @Gavinski said:

@mysore said:

:smile:

This is one of my favourites of her

• Oh damn, apologies for the wrong pronoun lol

• @mysore said:

@Gavinski said:

@mysore said:

This is so great. See, this is why I’m intimidated when it comes to making a vid on the Naada pack 😅😂

• @Samu said:
    Nice,

I'm having some 'issues' with GeoShred and the 'visibility' of it's Documents folder in Files.app.

This could be related to iPadOS16.1 as I can see the GeoShred folder on my iPhone 8 (iOS16.1) and iPad Air 2 (iPadOS15.7.1) in Files.app.

On the 11" M1 iPadPro I can 'search' for the GeoShred folder in Files.app and it's found but its content is 'empty' even though it clearly has files which can be seen from within the app. (I suspect som permission issues or some missing entries in the .plist file).

Being able to access the folder in Files.app is a very handy way to pick out recordings made in the app as one example.
    For now I guess I'll just have to 'export' the files from within GeoShred until the folder automagically appears in Files.app again.

I've tried all the usual suspects such as re-installing the app, rebooting etc. etc.

This doesn't affect the core functionality of the app but makes backup up of presets a pita as I don't feel like having to connect the iPad to the Mac via cable to copy over the files...

So I'd appreciate that anyone who endured reading thru this 'rant' could kindly check if the have a GeoShred folder visible in the Files.app.

Cheers!

Samu, on 15.5, Geoshred folder is also empty for me. Maybe message the devs. They’re very responsive.

• @Gavinski said:

@mysore said:

@Gavinski said:

@mysore said:

This is so great. See, this is why I’m intimidated when it comes to making a vid on the Naada pack 😅😂

I’m also curious now whether the veena is traditionally played by women, in the same way that the guzheng in China is mostly played by women, with the guqin being mostly played by men.

• @Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@mysore said:

@Gavinski said:

@mysore said:

I’m also curious now whether the veena is traditionally played by women, in the same way that the guzheng in China is mostly played by women, with the guqin being mostly played by men.

This guy rocks pretty hard:

• edited November 2022

@Samu said:
    Nice,

Cheers!

All the files that you see in GeoShred "Menu> Files" are in the GeoShred App Document folder, they are NOT in the Files app. if you export them to with "Menu> Files> Export" to "On My [iPhone|iPad]" or iCloud/Documents, then they will appear in files.

Note that most apps have a document folder. Apple does not allow the files app to see an App's document folder. The folders that you see in the files app that are named with apps names are export folders.

There are many places where the files in the GeoShred Documents folder could go in the Files app. iCloud, Dropbox, Box, Azure, Google Docs, "On My [iPhone|iPad]", many more. We need to look at what other apps do before we consider taking this a step further and automatically exporting files out of GeoShred's documents folder to some location in the Files app.

I see that some apps automatically export to the FIles App "On My [iPhone|iPad]" and some export to iCloud/Documents. For instance AUM and SynthMaster automatically export to "On My [iPhone|iPad]"". GarageBand and Animoog Z automatically export to iCloud/Documents.

This will require some reflection, but my gut is telling me that doing what GarageBand/Moog is doing is the best path, provided you have an iCloud account.

• @moForte said:

@Samu said:
    Nice,

Cheers!

All the files that you see in GeoShred "Menu> Files" are in the GeoShred App Document folder, they are NOT in the Files app. if you export them to with "Menu> Files> Export" to "On My [iPhone|iPad]" or iCloud/Documents, then they will appear in files.

Note that most apps have a document folder. Apple does not allow the files app to see an App's document folder. The folders that you see in the files app that are named with apps names are export folders.

There are many places where the files in the GeoShred Documents folder could go in the Files app. iCloud, Dropbox, Box, Azure, Google Docs, "On My [iPhone|iPad]", many more. We need to look at what other apps do before we consider taking this a step further and automatically exporting files out of GeoShred's documents folder to some location in the Files app.

I see that some apps automatically export to the FIles App "On My [iPhone|iPad]" and some export to iCloud/Documents. For instance AUM and SynthMaster automatically export to "On My [iPhone|iPad]"". GarageBand and Animoog Z automatically export to iCloud/Documents.

This will require some reflection, but my gut is telling me that doing what GarageBand/Moog is doing is the best path, provided you have an iCloud account.

Ok, but I’m referring the GeoShred ‘Documents’ folder that can be seen when syncing the device to a computer.
    This folder is visible on both my IPhone 8 and iPad Air 2 but not on the iPadPro (I can still find it via search but it’s empty).
    It’s to this folder the recordings automatically go when using the record function (Settings, Show Trace, Record) in the stand alone app. AUv3 has it’s own sandbox.

I get it that there some hurdles to overcome with sandboxed AUv3s and file access.
    (Security Scoped URLs can be used to seamlessly access files from the AUv3 that are visible locally to the Files.app).

This is by no means a show-stopper, just an observation on behavior between different devices.
    I can always use the built-in export functions when needed.

I’ve grown to love GeoShred again after I got a new IPad :sunglasses:

Take Care & Stay Safe
    /Samuel

• edited November 2022

@Samu said:

@moForte said:

@Samu said:
    Nice,

Cheers!

Ok, but I’m referring the GeoShred ‘Documents’ folder that can be seen when syncing the device to a computer.
    This folder is visible on both my IPhone 8 and iPad Air 2 but not on the iPadPro (I can still find it via search but it’s empty).
    It’s to this folder the recordings automatically go when using the record function (Settings, Show Trace, Record) in the stand alone app. AUv3 has it’s own sandbox.

I get it that there some hurdles to overcome with sandboxed AUv3s and file access.
    (Security Scoped URLs can be used to seamlessly access files from the AUv3 that are visible locally to the Files.app).

This is by no means a show-stopper, just an observation on behavior between different devices.
    I can always use the built-in export functions when needed.

I’ve grown to love GeoShred again after I got a new IPad :sunglasses:

Take Care & Stay Safe
    /Samuel

Samuel, in iOS the folder that you see for an app is not the app's document folder. Apps have to export files from the app's documents folder to the Files App.

Many do not export at all. Some apps export automatically to an app folder in "On My [iPhone|iPad]" in Files (AUM, SynthMaster). Others export automatically to an app folder in iCloud (not in "On My [iPhone|iPad]") (GarageBand, the Moog Apps). Lots of different ways of handling this.

I'm leaning toward doing what Apple/Moog do, exporting to an app folder in iCloud, because all your recordings, user presets, setlists and log files will be visible on all your devices and your desktop machine. As we get closer to the Mac (and then Windows) versions of GeoShred, this makes sense.

• edited November 2022

@moForte said:
    Samuel, in iOS the folder that you see for an app is not the app's document folder. Apps have to export files from the app's documents folder to the Files App.

I was refering to this.
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/information_property_list/uifilesharingenabled

The Files.app respects this plist entry when it shows the files/folders located under ‘On My Device’.

I’ll just stick to the export method for now and clear out the existing files in the GeoShred folder as this makes it temporarily vanish from the Files.app until I export new files to it.

Just thought it would make sense to record to a location that is already visible in Files.app as that would make import to other apps easier without an extra export step.

Cheers!

• Naada Collection I for GeoShred
    GeoShred: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/geoshred/id1064769019

Wizdom Music and moForte are proud to announce the release of the new Naada Instruments for GeoShred. As with all GeoShred instruments, these are models of the physics of the instrument. They are expressive and interactive.

These new instruments are offered as In-App-Purchases (IAPs) for GeoShred Pro, Play and Control and are priced at $14.99USD** each. In addition the Naada 1 Collection of all 7 instruments, priced at $74.99USD, 7 instruments for the price of 5.

The new instruments include:
    - Naada Bansuri
    - Naada Shehnai
    - Naada Duduk
    - Naada Carnatic Violin
    - Naada Sarangi
    - Naada Erhu
    - Naada Saraswati Veena

**Note: All Prices are in US Dollars (USD). Apple sets the local territory price and may add additional local charges such as VAT, GST, HST. Check the store in your territory for the local price.

• @Samu said:

Thanks for the pointer. Our next project is to complete the MacOS version of GeoShred and we will probably go to some form of automatic file sharing for that release.