Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

$9.99 Sale: Nice Behringer audio interface for recording direct to iPhone from your Master Mix

edited November 2022 in Hardware

I just picked up a couple of these devices from Behringer on Sweetwater. I have one from a few years ago and it’s great for capturing audio from the final mix and getting it to work with the Video on the iPhone.

Just point your Master Channel to the Behringer and plug it into your iPhone and capture Audio and Video in one go:

$9.99:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA202--behringer-u-control-uca202-usb-audio-interface

Comments

• I’ve been using one of those ( with the phono/line switch) for years. It’s never let me down! I use it for live streaming too!

• is there any different that the UCA-222?

They are from 50 to 80 bucks over here tho, too much

• Got a lemon the first time, but the second one was good, so just prepare to send back if necessary. I use mine to sample from a turntable.

• @cokomairena said:
    is there any different that the UCA-222?

They are from 50 to 80 bucks over here tho, too much

No hardware differences (same specs)
    222 used to include some freebie software in the past

• USB 1.0 (red) versus USB 2.0 (silver)

• ok 222 are 25 bucks sometimes, and that works without external power on the ipad?

• edited November 2022

Yes. The iPhone or iPad will power it via the CCK.

• I just used it to record this little groove to my iPhone. Directly out of the Deluge to the Behringer to the iPhone:

• Just about the only gotcha with it that I’ve found is that the ‘crosstalk’ is quite high when monitoring thru the device (ie. the device output bleeds into the recording when monitoring at higher volumes).

Monitoring at high volume and close to 0dbFS in the daw the output level feeds back as low frequency rumble at around -70dbFS. Solution is to NOT monitor thru the interface when recording.

I use the device quite frequently to sample my TV.

Also the device is 16-bit 44.1/48k which is fine for most use-cases.

I like it for lo-if :sunglasses:

• Nice just got one and sweet water called me to let me know when I’ll receive it. Also asked about where I heard about it, and I told him the awesome mobile musicians site…Audiobus forums !
    The one I have has a bad cord . But I hope this new one will last 7+ years again!

• @cuezaireekaa said:
    Nice just got one and sweet water called me to let me know when I’ll receive it. Also asked about where I heard about it, and I told him the awesome mobile musicians site…Audiobus forums !
    The one I have has a bad cord . But I hope this new one will last 7+ years again!

Awesome! Yeah, when I saw that price I knew I had to let you all know :)

• @echoopera said:

@cuezaireekaa said:
    Nice just got one and sweet water called me to let me know when I’ll receive it. Also asked about where I heard about it, and I told him the awesome mobile musicians site…Audiobus forums !

Awesome! Yeah, when I saw that price I knew I had to let you all know :)

Thanks again man. Good lookin

• I just ordered 2.

• Damn! About $40 here in Canada everywhere it's sold! :'(

• Also don’t forget if you’ve got a Zoom H1 or higher hanging around it’ll pretty much do what this does - stereo line in, USB out, headphone monitor out, and you get a stereo pair of mics too. 44.1/48 at 16 bits class compliant, but can record to SD card at up to 96KHz/24 bit.

• Yep. But these are $9.99 😉

• @echoopera said:
    Yep. But these are $9.99 😉

Yeah, at that price it's really hard to beat :sunglasses:

• Thanks for the heads up @echoopera. Mine is on the way. Free shipping too! I've no immediate need but know that it will definitely come in handy some day.

• @u0421793 said:
    Also don’t forget if you’ve got a Zoom H1 or higher hanging around it’ll pretty much do what this does - stereo line in, USB out, headphone monitor out, and you get a stereo pair of mics too. 44.1/48 at 16 bits class compliant, but can record to SD card at up to 96KHz/24 bit.

Exactly, and the Zooms sound so much better than the UCAs that I immediately got rid of mine after doing a 1:1 comparison.

• @u0421793 said:
    Also don’t forget if you’ve got a Zoom H1 or higher hanging around it’ll pretty much do what this does - stereo line in, USB out, headphone monitor out, and you get a stereo pair of mics too. 44.1/48 at 16 bits class compliant, but can record to SD card at up to 96KHz/24 bit.

Thanks for the reminder. I find i still have to use a usb hub to get rid of the power demands, but that solves the problem. The hub itself doesn’t need to be powered.

• The 16-bit burr brown converter in the UCA-202 has it's own 'sound' and and for some stuff (like sampling the TV) I do prefer it over the bit more 'meaty' sound of the UR-242 and its AD converter as it sounds more TV than HIFI?!

As long as I don't monitor thru the device it performs ok.
    But if I have loud playback from the daw or for example Spotify running and record in another app the playback will 'bleed thru' into the recording even when no cables are connected. (The Spotify recording peaked at ~-55dbFS).

But all in all, it's a fun, energy efficient (max 100mA) device to carry around when line-input/output is needed and works with the classic lightning to usb adapter for a pretty portable solution.

Well worth o have it in the 'tool kit' especially if it's only $9.99...

• I used to have one of those. The latency was really bad and the RCA in/out was a pain.

• I had the Go Twin for a while, and found the sound compressed or ”boxy” when listening using monitor headphones, when compared to my iRig Stream. I bought an Arturia Minifuse when they came out to replace the Twin. Never looked back and will probably never go the low budget route again.

Hope it fills your needs, curious on your opinion when you have tried it out.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• had those twice, horrible experience .. bad latency and both broke after few months of using (simply stopped working) .. also headphone output when enabled direct monitoring is just mono (facepalm)

• @dendy said:
    had those twice, horrible experience .. bad latency and both broke after few months of using (simply stopped working) .. also headphone output when enabled direct monitoring is just mono (facepalm)

Then you must have gotten a real 'dud'. On my UCA-202 the headphone output is stereo even in monitoring mode.
    Just about the only gripe I have is the 'crosstalk' when the device is outputting audio it bleeds into the recording.
    (When I max out the output volume from the iDevice or Computer the output bleeds back into the input at ~ -55dbFS with nothing connected, the crosstalk is ~6db lower when something is connected to the line inputs).

As long as software monitoring is disabled and the connected device doesn't output any audio recording works fine.
    (I mean in Cubasis you can hear the metronome bleed thru into the recording if you record silence and normalize it).

I treat mine as 'Lo-Fi' device. It's got its own sound when sampling sources...
    ...it's a perfect match for Koala as one example.

• edited November 2022

@Samu said:

@dendy said:
    had those twice, horrible experience .. bad latency and both broke after few months of using (simply stopped working) .. also headphone output when enabled direct monitoring is just mono (facepalm)

Then you must have gotten a real 'dud'. On my UCA-202 the headphone output is stereo even in monitoring mode.
    Just about the only gripe I have is the 'crosstalk' when the device is outputting audio it bleeds into the recording.
    (When I max out the output volume from the iDevice or Computer the output bleeds back into the input at ~ -55dbFS with nothing connected, the crosstalk is ~6db lower when something is connected to the line inputs).

As long as software monitoring is disabled and the connected device doesn't output any audio recording works fine.
    (I mean in Cubasis you can hear the metronome bleed thru into the recording if you record silence and normalize it).

I treat mine as 'Lo-Fi' device. It's got its own sound when sampling sources...
    ...it's a perfect match for Koala as one example.

I had the same experience as @dendy . Bad lag, broke after very minimal use and those annoying rca plugs.

• I dunno. It is 9.99 and the one I’ve had for years seems fine to me. But it is Behringer so we are talking cheap cheap and bad QA.

I think our collective experiences with Behringer will be as varied as our musical interests 😉💗